• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I am a happy man", or, "Yoshi in Brawl"

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Well, according to IGN's hands-on, Yoshi keeps his smashes and DownB :ohwell: (Protip for IGN: lrn2play)

One good thing they did was flip through the colors. I'm disappointed to say there isn't a black or white Yoshi. I was especially mad since they gave MARIO a white costume, and apparantly Link has a "dark link" costume.

I still can't believe they didn't try the "UPB HELPS YOSHI UP" thing. That's probably the most anticipated thing from Yoshi. >_< ARGH!!

We can dream, Shiri, we can dream.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Well, according to IGN's hands-on, Yoshi keeps his smashes and DownB :ohwell: (Protip for IGN: lrn2play)

One good thing they did was flip through the colors. I'm disappointed to say there isn't a black or white Yoshi. I was especially mad since they gave MARIO a white costume, and apparantly Link has a "dark link" costume.

I still can't believe they didn't try the "UPB HELPS YOSHI UP" thing. That's probably the most anticipated thing from Yoshi. >_< ARGH!!
Freakin-signed. I was looking through every video I could find trying to find his egg. What Yoshi player doesn't use his eggs?

:yoshi:!

D

Deleted member

One good thing they did was flip through the colors. I'm disappointed to say there isn't a black or white Yoshi. I was especially mad since they gave MARIO a white costume
Ya thats the vid that shows Yoshi not djcing when doing an attack during double jump. Ign really sux, all they do is spam fsmash randomly and down b (which looks awesome). If u can bear watching that Yoshi, ull see him do a fair and a dair, both which dont djc. So sad :(

Florida

イーグランツ
In a video I saw on Gamespot, it shows Yoshi rolling off of the edge after performing his Side B.
Guess what? He grabbed onto the edge.

Side B for recovery FTW!
I want some news on the Up-B situation, :p

D

Deleted member

Alright so we know a few things:

1.Up b helps recovery...somehow
2.SideB for recovery :yoshi:
3. No more Djc, but at the same time he keeps going up, so yoshi will have a new flavor this time, which may lead to uber pwnage devastating combos (i do hope)
4. Perhaps a bigger nair range?

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I see what you're saying. He doesn't lose his DJC, because to do it, you have to do it right at the beginning of the midjump, when Yoshi dips down a bit. Of course when you attack near the end of the jump, you're still going to have momentum upwards. It looks like Yoshi's just fine.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I see what you're saying. He doesn't lose his DJC, because to do it, you have to do it right at the beginning of the midjump, when Yoshi dips down a bit. Of course when you attack near the end of the jump, you're still going to have momentum upwards. It looks like Yoshi's just fine.
I'll take a look at it again, and i hope your right. But you should watch when he does the fair early on. It looks like he keeps going up. Btw i like your alt. yoshi colors (though i saw they had pink so im happy).

Winnar

Smash Lord
Nah, I'm afraid this is the end of the DJC. Even if you wait until halfway through the jump to do your aerial in melee, the momentum does carry you all the way through the jump. Well, maybe you can still DJC, but it's harder? I hope so, it was such a nifty trick.

I dunno, looked like Yoshi was pwning pretty hard on Pit (though these ARE the IGN players, so we may not see some real gameplay until someone tapes a Yoshi player at E for All).

Speaking of the E for All event, please tell me someone here is attending it. I would, but I'm on the wrong side of the country. Also, please take a video camera if they allow them. D:

Bloshi

Smash Ace
OMFG DID YOU GUYS SEE THE RANGE ON YOSHI'S ****ING BAIR IN THIS VIDE0???? HOLY ****ING ****!!!!!!!!! NEW MARTH FTW!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/116759.html

And yeah, DJC is gone. I am crying out in agony. However, this ought to help recovery since the double jump is still going while yoshi is attacking, making it impossible to gimp at early %s. SHFFL works too. We'll see if he remains the combo machine we know and love. I have a feeling they wanted to get rid of a lot of the combo machines in the game and replace them with characters with natural multi-hit combos that are weak, like Pit and Meta-Knight. Both of which look to be decent characters, actually.

Is it just me or do Yoshi's attacks have increased range? I think Yoshi's game may be shifting into a more Marth-like state. Dtilt looked increased, as well as uair, and a ridiculous increase on bair's range.

We need a team of smashers to go to LA and run some tests on the game mechanics and each character. I am so ****ing curious.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow @ that back air range.

Take that, **insert shieldgrabber here**!!

D

Deleted member

Yup DJC is gone. That bair range looks really bad (as in graphically, it looks cheesy), but that is AWESOME. As if yoshis bair wasnt good enough, with that, yoshi will be uber! some yoshi player bettr go to E for all and get some footage.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: **points at burntsocks** You live in California. You go. o_0

**delegates responsibility without concern**

>_>;

D

Deleted member

:yoshi: **points at burntsocks** You live in California. You go. o_0

**delegates responsibility without concern**

>_>;
I would, but i have to go to a party for a friend on the 20th and 21st, and then the other days are school, and im not a ditcher (well i am but...).

Straight

Smash Journeyman

We can dream, Shiri, we can dream.
Is there a link to this page? Also, where can I find the news about the djc?

As far as E for all goes, I just so happen to live in the Los Angeles County. Fear not MotherFu**ers, Gabe will make an appearance and let you guys know whats up and whats down with the Yosh! Let's hope for the best.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Fear not MotherFu**ers,
I have never seen this phrase before in my life. And I lol'd. I hope you can return with lots of data. Get someone to videotape you using each move on a character.

Attacks have been seen being used in some of the videos when Yoshi is clearly in the throes of his double jump, and he just still keeps rising. I don't know why they wanted to remove DJC, I hope there's another DJCer in Brawl, because I ****ing love this technique, even for non-Yoshi people. And Ness' chances are down, and Mewtwo was already questionable. This is stupid DJC is great. Wtf Ninetendo.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Relax, Bloshi. Also, are you going to VLS next month? o_0

To stop this from getting off-topic, again, let's not forget that the development stages are still in full effect. Maybe DJC hasn't been completed as yet? I did notice some edge collision detection going on in two of the videos. Either way, I'm confident that this time around, Smash has the best in mind for Yoshi, so we'll see how it goes.

Also, good junk, Gabe. Please spam back air a lot. Yoshi is about to be the new Marth, LOL.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I was watching the vids over again. And on the 10min gamestop one. yoshi rolls forward with like 3 flips. It might be his foward roll. At first i thought it was a tech roll. but he wasn't hit be fore it. He just started tumbling on the ground. It looks like he does one. And right before he stops he does another. And there are no white flashes this time around. I wonder how much we can cancel this.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I am pretty sure DJC was removed, as sakurai said "yoshi can do mid air attacks!" in the update.

I am going to E for All so I will make sure I check if Yoshi can jump out of the shield and whatnot. ALL FOR YOU, YOSHIDO!!!

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Yeah that rolling thing was weird. it was **** slow, so I hope it isn't his rolling dodge.

Also, Shiri, VLS? I am hoping to go to Reflex's thing next weekend, seeing as its my fall break...

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just thought. If Yoshi can't DJC normally, maybe if you smash down during your double jump you can cancel it?

Harder to do? Definitely

Idea of the century? *Chk* YEHS

EDIT: Disregard the top post, I hadn't watched the video yet. Who knows though, maybe you can angle his double jump like you can angle Roy's up-b?

0_o double jumping downwards.

Straight

Smash Journeyman
So initially i thought i would not have a camera to record but, my brother HugS just so happens to have a digital camera, so he and I will be using that to record some stuff; i hope we are allowed to record, but if need be, i will try to somehow hide the camera and record stuff secretly.

My main priorities as far as information goes are wavedashing and L canceling.

Once this is confirmed, I will then move to a ledge and take a look at yoshi's set of moves. I will obviously play yoshi until I am content I know all I want to know about him; this includes djc, range, edge eggs, and upB recovery. Am I missing anything?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Gabe, try seeing what Yoshi can do in this game to grab the edge that he couldn't in Melee.

Things like his Side+B, also seeing if his airdodge grabs the edge at lower heights, things like that. And this is gonna be a bit difficult, but see if you can ascertain how heavy Yoshi is. Of course, with all these new characters, his weight may have changed to allow for these characters to come into play, but I'm mainly thinking about his weight for DJ purposes.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't expect too much. From that video I saw earlier, chances are he'll have a 2 minute match of FFA with some randoms. Gonna be a bit hard to ascertain that much.

Let's just see what can be done.

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
Even if DJC s gone you may be able to ECE with the boost from the Egg Toss (if you don't have to jump to get the boost), can you test this theory and if you can use your DJ to recover from an opponent's hit?

OoS play (jumping with: beginning animation, ending animation, D-dodge animation, mid shield etc).

The B-Air is a lot longer than last time, I would like to know what other moves are super-powered/ gimped (compared to the Melee counterparts).

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Look at that nair! Holy crap!
Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...desu...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...Wow...wow...wow...wow...

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
:yoshi: Well, here's one.

WTF NEUTRAL AIR
Lol that Nair is huge Yoshi Grew up to a full grown dragon warrior lol. Shiri im not gonna be able to make it to reflex's toruney. But im sure when brawl comes out. there will be tourneies all down there. O and i still want a couple of new colors for yoshi. Such as. Orange, Purple, Black, And white.

Top Bottom