• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule Duels - Zelda Sm4sh Video Thread

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
About time I get a video up of my Zelda...

Nothing too special here, just wanted to upload something. Critique is appreciated, though I can already see some mistakes I did. Too many Phantoms (like I said, I like my glowy purple hands~). Oh and the reason I used Din's more than I should have was to snipe the Gordos. I had a hard time working around those things. Played kinda defensive in general, didn't feel like committing to an approach cause I don't know this MU and yeah.

Oh and a double Zelda match just for fun lol. Double lightning kick ftw

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
About time I get a video up of my Zelda...

Nothing too special here, just wanted to upload something. Critique is appreciated, though I can already see some mistakes I did. Too many Phantoms (like I said, I like my glowy purple hands~). Oh and the reason I used Din's more than I should have was to snipe the Gordos. I had a hard time working around those things. Played kinda defensive in general, didn't feel like committing to an approach cause I don't know this MU and yeah.

Oh and a double Zelda match just for fun lol. Double lightning kick ftw

First thing I'd like to say is that I'm not into dubstep but that violin music was amazing.

Onto the actual critique, I'd say you approached the matchup properly. You didn't use din's or phantom too much because those are the kinds of spacing tools you have to use against D3 who will try to zone you out all day. Since we have similar zoning tools to him (shield-able, punishable, slow, etc.) we can go up against him playing his own game whereas our only other tool (go in) doesn't work against him because our tools for going in get shut down so easily by patient play which D3 players excel at. Honestly, I find this MU to be one of the weirdest in the game and I feel uncomfortable any time I have to face a D3 as any character because I can never wrap my head around the character no matter how often I play against them.

That double Zelda team was wonky and I love it.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
First thing I'd like to say is that I'm not into dubstep but that violin music was amazing.

Onto the actual critique, I'd say you approached the matchup properly. You didn't use din's or phantom too much because those are the kinds of spacing tools you have to use against D3 who will try to zone you out all day. Since we have similar zoning tools to him (shield-able, punishable, slow, etc.) we can go up against him playing his own game whereas our only other tool (go in) doesn't work against him because our tools for going in get shut down so easily by patient play which D3 players excel at. Honestly, I find this MU to be one of the weirdest in the game and I feel uncomfortable any time I have to face a D3 as any character because I can never wrap my head around the character no matter how often I play against them.

That double Zelda team was wonky and I love it.
It's all good, the song on the dubs does get a bit repetitive, admittedly. And the violin piece is by Lindsey Stirling, she has some amazing pieces. The song is called Crystallize.

I'm kind of surprised Phantom didn't hit him more to be honest, like it really looked like my armored knight's sword was RIGHT THERE on his big - but anyway. Yeah it's a weird match-up, but as far as heavies go, I actually hate fighting Bowser more lol. I tried so hard to mix up my recovery/getting back to the stage options, but those Gordos pelted me far more than I would have liked :/

Double Zelda is fun hehe.

Thanks for the feedback btw~

Last edited:

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac

Not me - I've been searching youtube for any Zelda 1.1.5 tournament footage, and I found this. I'm glad people are trying out Zelda again at their tournies.

It's always interesting to listen to what the commentators say about Zelda. It's great they gave a nod of respect towards zelda now. Many commentators in the past would just giggle anytime someone pulled out a Zelda.

Last edited:

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron

Not me - I've been searching youtube for any Zelda 1.1.5 tournament footage, and I found this. I'm glad people are trying out Zelda again at their tournies.

It's always interesting to listen to what the commentators say about Zelda. It's great they gave a nod of respect towards zelda now. Many commentators in the past would just giggle anything someone pulled out a Zelda.
Yeah, I like the use of dair to break Ness's recovery - it worked in this context. One big problem was that he kept getting hit by the PK Fire, but didn't seem to know you could SDI out or use Nayru's Love, and thus ate some nasty punishes that way. Can't hate on powershielding the PKT2, just can't really afford to mess it up if you go for it. Probably better to get out of the way and prepare a punish. Not much use of the tools from the new patch, but there were some nice dsmash hits that would have been a little riskier to go for last patch.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
Yeah, I like the use of dair to break Ness's recovery - it worked in this context. One big problem was that he kept getting hit by the PK Fire, but didn't seem to know you could SDI out or use Nayru's Love, and thus ate some nasty punishes that way. Can't hate on powershielding the PKT2, just can't really afford to mess it up if you go for it. Probably better to get out of the way and prepare a punish. Not much use of the tools from the new patch, but there were some nice dsmash hits that would have been a little riskier to go for last patch.
It's great how useful our new ftilt is. He made great use of ftilt punishes several times in the matches. Against Ness, it's rather scary trying to challege his pk thunder recovery offstage. If you messup, you'll die pretty early to the "pk rocket".

Ryo using 1.1.5 Zelda. Makes me smile to see someone using Zelda deep in a tournament bracket.

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
It's great how useful our new ftilt is. He made great use of ftilt punishes several times in the matches. Against Ness, it's rather scary trying to challege his pk thunder recovery offstage. If you messup, you'll die pretty early to the "pk rocket".

Ryo using 1.1.5 Zelda. Makes me smile to see someone using Zelda deep in a tournament bracket.
Love his Zelda, his usage of Nair is good!

3.40 all hail the new Nayru's love, finally reliably reflecting things now!

RichGX

Smash Rookie
NNID
RichGamerton
3DS FC
3325-5080-6131
Hey guys, I recently made a combo video that featured Zelda ( As well as Palutena :-)

https://youtu.be/S30MUF8rgRw

Feedback is appreciated. I know the quality is bad because capture cards aren't cheap lol. But with that aside, it's solid. Thanks for checking it out. Hopefully it helped somehow.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Good try, there's an interesting technique that could definitely help you. When recovering from below, right before you would ledgesnap, hold down so you go above the ledge and hit him instead. That could've prevented Myran's edgeguarding but Good Job Eddie!
I was always afraid to do that since I feel like I'd miss up the timing and end up just either offing myself or ruining the recovery angle. Will have to practice it lol.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
I agree that it's crucial, it has saved me plenty of times when I'm ledge trumped, then I recover doing that and I'm safe. It makes Zelda virtually ungimpable.

I think only Ike can stop her with the super armor on Eruption.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Macchiato:4zelda: vs CapnChreest:4palutena:
https://youtu.be/JxuAwf5SK5w.

Critique?
That was ridiculously awesome on both players, though I may just love ledge cancelling a bit too much. That said, Palutena's teleport cancel really has to be respected on a stage like Battlefield, where ledges abound. There were several moments where it would have simply returned to neutral, instead of instantly going to Palutena's advantage, had you respected her teleport just as much Zelda forces respect for her teleport.

Speaking more generally, I think your Zelda is at the forefront of the Zelda meta, especially with your combo game and disadvantage state. There are some weird things you're doing in neutral, like the roll movement near the end and double Dsmash that cost you a stock - even if these are things that may not happen all to often, cementing your movement and setups might be a good area to focus on.

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Macchiato:4zelda: vs CapnChreest:4palutena:
https://youtu.be/JxuAwf5SK5w.

Critique?
Nice stuff! At 2:58 you catch Palutena with a Nair that seems to hit her with all the hit boxes, but yet she falls straight down. This could have led to a nasty jab lock punish or something, but you seemed caught off guard by it as well. What exactly happened there with Nair? Did she fall out of the last hit? If that could be duplicated at will it would open up a lot of possibilities.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
I was always afraid to do that since I feel like I'd miss up the timing and end up just either offing myself or ruining the recovery angle. Will have to practice it lol.
Use sound to help you out. There's an initial wooosh buildup sound as you begin to disappear. Then a second boom sound as you reappear. Hit down immediately after the initial woosh buildup sound ends. You should never accidentally teleport down if you learn to hit down at this moment.

BTW, purple guy, you know you got a new wiki page on the smash wiki as a "notable zelda player"? I helped create it and added some of your results :)
Let us know if there is anything incorrect.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Much appreciated!! Looks like we made it now that I've got a wiki! You guys really didn't have to! Also I'll keep those tips in mind. Definitely going to take some practice now for sure.

I will say the whobo and sktar placings were 33rd & 25th respectively lol.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
Much appreciated!! Looks like we made it now that I've got a wiki! You guys really didn't have to! Also I'll keep those tips in mind. Definitely going to take some practice now for sure.

I will say the whobo and sktar placings were 33rd & 25th respectively lol.
No problem dude. I'm sure everyone will continue to be happy if you keep repping zelda and proving haters wrong that you can kick butt with her!

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Looking for critiques and help on the Mewtwo matchup:
Sorry about the low volume on my 3DS in advance. Mewtwo's pressure is insane and really intimidating for me and there are a bunch of solid Mewtwos on 3DS For Glory right now for some reason. Need to approach this matchup better.

"Jaguar, don't you have the Wii U version now? Why r u still uploading 3DS footage gorl?"

Well I get to play the 3DS version more often and when I've tried to directly upload replays to YouTube using the Wii U version, my crappy Internet would always stop it midway through. Plus, I tend to play late at night, so it's more convenient for me.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I swear there is no point in DI'ing the down throw, he always reacts and gets the bair.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
I swear there is no point in DI'ing the down throw, he always reacts and gets the bair.
Most of the bairs he landed after dthrow were when the opponent didn't DI and were thrown straight up. I guess it would be harder to get those bairs if his opponents mixed up their DI more.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
More Purple Guy / Ed tournament footage. He got 2nd in this april 7 weekly.

Vs Roy

Vs Sonic and Cloud (and he destroyed this guy bwahaha go zelda)

Vs ZSS (The fun stops here, he had to switch back to sheik after zelda got beat up)

Last edited:
Top Bottom