• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule Duels - Zelda Sm4sh Video Thread

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Here's my Zelda showcase that I made to go along with a Zelda guide that I'm writing (in spanish), It's not meant to be all flashy stuff. The idea is to show some things that Zelda's capable of doing (so you'll get to see some basic stuff like a down throw to up air and a regular old elevator), but there are some cool moments in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHvLKEC9MxE

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've got a little bit of footage from the last two tournaments I attended. The first was last weekend at Kings of the North 4. Shoutouts to my good friend Circa PowPow for mispronouncing my tag despite knowing me for several months at this point lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/eventhorizon/v/26958791
The first is a doubles set between myself and Nighwing vs. GGA Dan and GGA Nite starting at 00:31:00 and ending at 00:41:40. Our opponents are one of the best teams in the entire midwest so we kinda got bopped.

The second is a singles set between myself and EOBEmperor starting at 9:24:50 and ending at 9:31:00.

The next set is from E2C20 in Chicago that I just attended yesterday.

http://www.twitch.tv/events2compete/v/27880086

I play a set against GR Damit starting at 6:30:00 and ending at 6:36:40. Missed getting out of pools by one win here. Chicago's no joke but I'm very happy with my performance against much better players compared to Wisconsin.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I've got a little bit of footage from the last two tournaments I attended. The first was last weekend at Kings of the North 4. Shoutouts to my good friend Circa PowPow for mispronouncing my tag despite knowing me for several months at this point lol.

The first is a doubles set between myself and Nighwing vs. GGA Dan and GGA Nite starting at 00:31:00 and ending at 00:41:40. Our opponents are one of the best teams in the entire midwest so we kinda got bopped.

The second is a singles set between myself and EOBEmperor starting at 9:24:50 and ending at 9:31:00.

I play a set against GR Damit starting at 6:30:00 and ending at 6:36:40. Missed getting out of pools by one win here. Chicago's no joke but I'm very happy with my performance against much better players compared to Wisconsin.
Your singles' set is on YouTube now, so if that's more convenient for people, Zylach vs. Damit's Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGTPYQPN_24.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Good stuff, Zylach! Making the Captain Falcon match look doable, but I wonder how it would have gone if Falcon would have used less specials and more dash/grab to approach.

One thing I can suggest is optimizing jab combos. You typically go for jab>dash attack, which is certainly the most guaranteed followup at the most percents, but remember that Falcon as a heavy fast faller will stay susceptible to both jab>grab and dthrow>nair for longer, ultimately doing 5% more damage if the Nair fully connects. Besides that, I usually prefer to keep dash attack unstaled to keep it a good, quick kill option, but that's preference.

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice

Great stuff! I notice you never use up tilt. I always thought it was a good tool to be used with D tilt, jab, and grab combos. I'm curious why you don't use it. Thanks for any insight.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Good stuff, Zylach! Making the Captain Falcon match look doable, but I wonder how it would have gone if Falcon would have used less specials and more dash/grab to approach.

One thing I can suggest is optimizing jab combos. You typically go for jab>dash attack, which is certainly the most guaranteed followup at the most percents, but remember that Falcon as a heavy fast faller will stay susceptible to both jab>grab and dthrow>nair for longer, ultimately doing 5% more damage if the Nair fully connects. Besides that, I usually prefer to keep dash attack unstaled to keep it a good, quick kill option, but that's preference.
The only reason I go for the absolute guaranteed options is for that reason exactly. Since dthrow is DI-able and I'm still not frame perfect on my followups on a DI'ing opponent, I don't wanna risk getting less damage output from my jab than I possibly could. I'll admit I could do more out of jab and I've also been known to jab>DA when the opponent is at 0% which isn't a guaranteed followup. Bad habits.

Great stuff! I notice you never use up tilt. I always thought it was a good tool to be used with D tilt, jab, and grab combos. I'm curious why you don't use it. Thanks for any insight.
Utilt is a great tool but that Falcon player wouldn't really let me use it. He stayed on the ground quite a bit and utilt's horizontal reach is mediocre. Plus, it's long duration means, if I whiff it, I'll immediately get punished because Falcon. It's better used in other MU's or when you're able to punish an opponent at low percents for utilt chains. Tl;dr I don't like it very much against Falcon.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
If you can talk to Ramsy, tell him that I loved to see the attempt for uthrow->uair tech chase, even if it wasn't quite enough percent. Such as satisfying followup to land when it works!

In other news, I got my first streamed tourney match uploaded, and it's about time I post a video on here.

http://youtu.be/9GyH0K4z3fw

Tear me apart, gorls. Mostly looking for advice on neutral, though I know I need to quit dash attacking all the time. If anything stands out as

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
If you can talk to Ramsy, tell him that I loved to see the attempt for uthrow->uair tech chase, even if it wasn't quite enough percent. Such as satisfying followup to land when it works!

In other news, I got my first streamed tourney match uploaded, and it's about time I post a video on here.

http://youtu.be/9GyH0K4z3fw

Tear me apart, gorls. Mostly looking for advice on neutral, though I know I need to quit dash attacking all the time. If anything stands out as
So, against Luigi, you don't really have any reason to approach him. You can actually pressure him quite well with Phantom 2 because of his slower run speed and poor traction. Zelda doesn't have the approach options necessary to actually do anything safely against Luigi. Just powershield his fireballs all day and try to outspace him with nairs or even fsmash since the pushback should keep you pretty safe against Luigi if you space it properly. Try not to land on stage at any time. Luigi is perfectly happy to uair Zelda until the end of time so any time you are thrown up in the air, go offstage and aim for the ledge. Luigi can't gimp Zelda save for perfectly timing his dair on our 2-frame snap.

You'll also have to be more patient with your landing traps. I saw you miss a few prime landing traps because you got impatient and charged a fsmash or attacked during his airdodge to the ground. You have to wait to see where your opponent will land and how they will land before committing to a landing trap, especially against characters with more landing options than Luigi.

Ultimately, in my opinion, you should probably be playing that MU a lot more passively.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
So, against Luigi, you don't really have any reason to approach him. You can actually pressure him quite well with Phantom 2 because of his slower run speed and poor traction. Zelda doesn't have the approach options necessary to actually do anything safely against Luigi. Just powershield his fireballs all day and try to outspace him with nairs or even fsmash since the pushback should keep you pretty safe against Luigi if you space it properly. Try not to land on stage at any time. Luigi is perfectly happy to uair Zelda until the end of time so any time you are thrown up in the air, go offstage and aim for the ledge. Luigi can't gimp Zelda save for perfectly timing his dair on our 2-frame snap.

You'll also have to be more patient with your landing traps. I saw you miss a few prime landing traps because you got impatient and charged a fsmash or attacked during his airdodge to the ground. You have to wait to see where your opponent will land and how they will land before committing to a landing trap, especially against characters with more landing options than Luigi.

Ultimately, in my opinion, you should probably be playing that MU a lot more passively.
Mm, right. I tend to be a bit jumpy and go for lightning kicks since they push Luigi back so far, but you're right that I should be in general more patient. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Is it cool if we drop highlight videos in here? I had a super fun time creating and editing this video <3

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Sisters, please console me over our terrible sourspot FW.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Rickster Rickster ! Your set from Shockwave 62 was uploaded! I haven't watched it, so... Rickster's Zelda vs. tumut tony's Triple D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dob-07ymNw4.

I think you might have influenced Xanzy... Xanzy's Zelda and Kirby vs. Neighbor's Samus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtXI4bmfMo. You know what to do, Rickster... CONVERT HIM. That or we can have Macchi do it. :p
I had actually forgotten that that match would be uploaded. That's just great. The only match I've done that was ever uploaded by a major Smash streamer is that.

Life is pain, Din's Fire is evil.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I had actually forgotten that that match would be uploaded. That's just great. The only match I've done that was ever uploaded by a major Smash streamer is that.

I was trying to look for Sheik getting dominated by a random Cloud if that helps and remembered it was from Tourney Locator. Found it; wasn't Karna's Sheik, so whatever. :p

Edit: Whoops, forgot about these matches. Versus Gaming had a mid-tier to low-tier tournament. This is the second one and Purple Guy took 2nd with Zelda. Bracket: http://versus.challonge.com/s4lowtier2. Here's his sets; Purple Guy's Zelda vs. Sebrick's Triple D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBhjOu2nx2I.

Purple Guy's Zelda vs. Kipa's Marth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNCE82NaMQ.

Purple Guy's Zelda vs. Nick Riddle's Mewtwo (Winners Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuThroFFyU.

Purple Guy's Zelda vs. Nick Riddle's Falco, Mewtwo, and Marth (Grand Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt60i84oWJ4.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo

You did do some good things, but one major thing is when you panic, you roll a lot. Also nice jacket
Rickster Rickster ! CONVERT HIM. That or we can have Macchi do it. :p
image.jpeg

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Tbh panic mode started when I saw him pick DDD. Can't fight that character at all.

Oh and thanks, but I thought I looked weird on camera, lol.
DDD

You really don't need to approach him, you have solutions to gordos. He can't really approach so take advantage of that. SH Nair can poke at him due to his height. SH Dair is safe if perfectly performed. On the ledge, you freaked out when he did something like rocket hammer. A good DDD doesn't go for that, don't freak out because I think it doesn't hit on the ledge. You could've just stayed there and waited. Edgeguarding, don't go for a spike, his armor will not let him get spiked. You can dtilt him though because it hits him during the one frame he ledge snaps which has no armor. He's pretty laggy so SHAD Bair is a great way to get through and net a kill. Due to his weight our utilt has combos for a very long time.

Your use of the phantom and dins was great. Your spacing was almost perfect. Din's is actually really useful in this MU imo because it sends back gordos, punishes his bad gordo attempts, and his slow so unless you do it close, he can't really punish.

Due to his fall speed and weight, jab can set a jab lock if he doesn't tech which will be useful. Keep that in mind.

lol you look fine, I look like a mess 24/7.

Last edited:

JEStr

Smash Rookie
So I played in a small 8 person tourney the other day, and someone recorded and uploaded most of the matches. I figured I'd ask for a bit of critique here if anyone is bored enough to watch the one set of mine that got uploaded. I know I have a lot of obvious issues, but if there are any that stand out in particular to you, I'd like to know what you think I should work on! Definitely need to focus on punishing properly and execute more carefully so I don't get accidental fairs/bairs when I'm going for nairs... also my throw game needs work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhFhzdxkbRMqD5cqTSTmdHfCvxWGkkJ9&v=fSx7epfpSh8

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
So I played in a small 8 person tourney the other day, and someone recorded and uploaded most of the matches. I figured I'd ask for a bit of critique here if anyone is bored enough to watch the one set of mine that got uploaded. I know I have a lot of obvious issues, but if there are any that stand out in particular to you, I'd like to know what you think I should work on! Definitely need to focus on punishing properly and execute more carefully so I don't get accidental fairs/bairs when I'm going for nairs... also my throw game needs work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhFhzdxkbRMqD5cqTSTmdHfCvxWGkkJ9&v=fSx7epfpSh8
Thing #1: Holy crap I hate MK. The moment I saw his neutral B just completely ignore phantom, I lost a bit of my soul.

Thing #2: Zelda kinda just has to concede the ledge to MK. He's got so many options for getting back and they're all pretty safe. The only thing Zelda can hope to challenge is his side B if she's above him. If he uses dimensional cape, then all we can hope for is a ledge snap punish. We can't punish his up-B because it'll hit us if we're standing at the ledge. You could technically charge a phantom and throw it as soon as he uses shuttle loop in hopes that you time it right as soon as he goes past the ledge on the first hit, otherwise MK is just free to recover however he pleases. Try and punish his getup option instead of pressuring him offstage where he is king.

Thing #3: Never try and punish MK's fsmash. Never ever ever try. It's not punishable. Ever. MK can throw out fsmash all day and never get punished for it.

Thing #4: You like to feign approaches a lot by running up and shielding or running up and rolling away to try and force a reaction out of your opponent but Zelda doesn't really benefit a lot from the latter since her run speed is so low so she can't capitalize on any reaction from an opponent. Running up and shielding is an easy way to condition your opponent to just grab you every time you run up to them. You'll wanna work on mixups for conditioning your foes like run up, jump back and charge phantom to see if they want to approach you and consequently get hit by phantom or run up, empty hop, grab, stuff like that. Approaching isn't something Zelda does well so approach mixups can only take you so far with her.

Thing #5: You overcommit quite a bit against that MK. If he was on the edge, you'd run up and usmash in hopes that he'd do a regular getup (you traded once with his getup attack. MK is just too short for that to do anything). You'd throw out usmashes in hopes that he might roll or dash or fall into it which is really dangerous against good MK's since they can take advantage of that long animation so quickly with a DA into uair chains. Also, committing to your punishes while he's freefalling after missing his side B or up-B. You missed several punishes by expecting him to fall on one side of you and throwing a fsmash there instead of where he did fall. You have to be a little more patient with situations like that because MK has enough control over himself while he's in freefall to mix you up like that. Don't forget that quick options can be effective as punishes too. Don't use your fsmash as your only punish option since it comes out on frame 16. Use some of your faster options when the opponent uses moves that are safer than 16 frames of endlag. Also don't forget FW. The ribbon hitbox is bigger than most people think and comes out quickly. If the opponent is trying to trick you into committing to a punish in the wrong direction, just use FW, it hits both directions lol.

Things I liked: Generally, your DI was good, especially when he tried for shuttle loops against you. He didn't get overly long combos which meant you were never on the wrong side of the stairway to heaven combo. You adapted pretty well. Game 4, you started spacing a lot better against him than you had in the previous matches. That's one of Zelda's strengths against MK. She has range over him. Outspacing MK is one of the few things Zelda can actually hope to accomplish in the MU and you started doing that as you grew more comfortable in the MU. Also, you were patient (albeit, not quite as patient as that MK. Seriously, he was not approaching you ever). The first match, you looked a bit too aggressive especially against a D3 but you eventually got in the groove of forcing reactions rather than just going in. Just make sure to apply pressure as well with quick phantoms, empty hops, etc.

Good stuff. Feel free to share more!

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. Disappeared for quite some time, but now I'm back in the streets. Was mainly a 3DS player, but have since then finally upgraded to a Wii U on Thanksgiving. The transition from 3DS FG to Wii U FG was no where near as easy as I'd thought it be. But nonetheless, I think my Zelda has gotten a bit more solid since my last posting here in this thread. Zylach Zylach , good to see you're still active around here, homie. Gonna post a couple matches. The Ganon and Samus player are the same. His Samus freaking bodied me, so I'm definitely looking for critiques on my performance during that match.

Stay golden, Girls.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Hey all. Disappeared for quite some time, but now I'm back in the streets. Was mainly a 3DS player, but have since then finally upgraded to a Wii U on Thanksgiving. The transition from 3DS FG to Wii U FG was no where near as easy as I'd thought it be. But nonetheless, I think my Zelda has gotten a bit more solid since my last posting here in this thread. Zylach Zylach , good to see you're still active around here, homie. Gonna post a couple matches. The Ganon and Samus player are the same. His Samus freaking bodied me, so I'm definitely looking for critiques on my performance during that match.

Stay golden, Girls.
Good stuff.

During the Samus match in particular, I do have some advice:

1) Make sure to utilize your nair when Samus is airborne. I noticed he would use his morph ball bomb to change his momentum fairly often when he was recovering high to fake you out. If you just go up with a nair when he does that, you can, more often than not, catch him while he's still in his morph ball. Sometimes, you'd go up for an airdodge bait and just wouldn't get one or he'd airdodge and you'd miss the punish. Part of that, I imagine, is wifi lag because wifi is awful, but nair will catch him if he thinks he can stay out of your range and, obviously, if he airdodges, release the lightning.

2) He rolled so much and it made me angry as a Samus secondary. Samus' roll is one of the worst rolls in the game and Zelda has the tools for punishing it. He rolled behind you, then back a few times and Nayru's Love will cover that very well. If he rolls away, you can do a DA and catch him before he can do anything because Samus' FAF on roll is abysmal.

3) He wasn't spacing properly as Samus. Samus relies a lot on zair against Zelda to keep her out of Samus' space and he just wasn't doing that. It gave you the opportunity to actually go in on him because Samus doesn't have much else to keep someone like Zelda out of Zelda's preferred range (mid range where phantom 1 and fsmash will connect at their furthest points) other than zair.

4) He wasn't safe on shield. There was one moment where he used a dair unsafely on your shield late in the second stock where you could've used an elevator OoS and ended the game right there. That probably has a lot to do with MU knowledge since knowing which landing aerials are safe to use OoS FW against is a chore but all of Samus' landing options outside of uair, when spaced unsafely on your shield, can be punished with OoS FW.

5) Just be patient against Samus. She's trying to play the same game Zelda is (keep out until the opponent makes a mistake than go ham). The first person to make a mistake will eat a lot of damage and/or die for it when both players optimize the character. He got you early on with a lot of projectiles and you caught on later by being patient, shielding, and reflecting them. Just don't shield too much against Samus because she'll break your shield whenever she gets the opportunity.

6) Finally, teleporting that much against Samus is dangerous. Granted, he was using a lot of missiles which are easily punished by snipes, but he spent a lot of time in the air and just double jumping/avoiding the snipes altogether. The reason it's dangerous against Samus is because of CS. If he'd have charged up his CS and seen you start a teleport, he could've easily shielded it and caught you with a CS to the face. Don't concern yourself with playing aggressive against Samus just because she has the potential to camp you out (Actually, she really doesn't because of Nayru's, phantom walls, and Din's while behind phantom). Just stay in Zelda's comfort zone right outside of Samus' range and use your disjoints to your advantage.

7) Some little details on the MU: If you're right up in Samus' face, you don't have a lot of options outside of shielding. Samus has a frame 3 jab which is faster than any of Zelda's moves but her grab doesn't come out until Smash 5 comes out. Plus, basically all of her attacks are unsafe on shield. I think jab 1 is a shield mixup (jab 1 to jab 2 if you drop shield or jab 1 to run away if you don't) but, ultimately, your only option is to shield and punish her if she decides to hit your shield. If she runs away then the match just resets to neutral, which Samus wins but, since that Samus wasn't using zair, I think neither character would win under those circumstances lol. Basically, if you're up close, don't use your slower attacks. I noticed a few moments where you went for a fsmash or jab and got hit by one of Samus' faster options. If you had to choose an attack to challenge Samus up close, I'd pick dtilt since it has followups, comes out on frame 5, and ducks under Samus' jab and un-angled ftilt I believe.

If Samus is facing you while she's in the air, feel free to counter her with an utilt. She doesn't have any aerial options for covering her front side while in the air against an anti-air like utilt. Her fair starts above her, her dair is too slow, her uair (her main landing tool) has an upwards hitbox which utilt's disjoint will beat out every time, and her nair doesn't cover her underside. However, if she's facing away from you while in the air, always always always shield until she lands. Her bair is one of her main killing tools, has a big hitbox, and comes out quickly. You never wanna be caught with that when there's no threat of you getting hit while in shield. Sometimes, a Samus player will jump behind you and wait until the last second to throw a bair out to tempt you into dropping shield early (I noticed the Peach player got you with this trick as well and Falcon players will do it all day long). Never challenge Samus when she's facing away from you in the air.

Samus' only disjoints on the ground are dtilt and fsmash and those aren't her main tools for spacing or stuffing approaches (dtilt sometimes but she'll jab or PP ftilt more often if she knows what she's doing). You can use your disjoints to catch her while she's trying to hit you like how you would want to space against Mewtwo's tail instead of Mewtwo himself though Samus isn't nearly as hitbox happy as Mewtwo players are.

Samus has no guaranteed followups from dthrow at kill percents. DI her dthrow away so she can never get her big damage combo off on you (If you don't DI, then she does have guaranteed followups including uair>uair>up B for an easy 30-ish percent). That Samus only used fair as a followup from dthrow which isn't optimized but usually more reliable and easier to land since the uair is a little more frame precise.

Wall of Text over. Sorry for the length but I know both of these characters so well lol.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Another thing I'd like to see is the use of dance trotting in place of rolling back during neutral.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Another thing I'd like to see is the use of dance trotting in place of rolling back during neutral.
It's something every character should do. I still have to get into the habit of doing that myself. You can also SHAD in place of rolling but it doesn't allow for the immediate reactions that dash trotting allows you to do.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Watch my crappy Zelda get beaten by good players' secondaries! :3 Unfortunately they all second top/high tiers. D:

sisT your Zelda did good. You were up against top players like iStudying and they used top tiers too. Why'd you decide to use Zelda though, you think that she's absolute garbage and theres no reason to use her so I'm curious why you used her.

If you want a decent secondary that might cover match-ups you should pick up Wii Fit Trainer or Lucina. You could pick Marth, but Lucina imo is more fun and you have more freedom with her. I'm not saying drop Zelda, but tournament wise it wouldn't be a bad idea because you go to actual tournaments.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Watch my crappy Zelda get beaten by good players' secondaries! :3 Unfortunately they all second top/high tiers. D:

I forgot that iStudying had a Sheik. I guess some of us Greninja mains have a weird relationship with this other ninja...

I thought that you played really well with your Peach and Zelda in spite of your loss. The criticisms that I was going to make after seeing your game 2 against iStudying (less dash attacking in neutral and using fast fall U-airs to help avoid some punishes) you managed to fix in game 3, so there's not much else I can say. Sheik's just that bad for us I guess. Great job Meru.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287

Can I just say how much it bugs me that, every time a Zelda player shows up on stream, the commentators always, ALWAYS, talk merely about how much they think she's garbage. Commentators don't know anything about her and just spew out whatever they think is bad about the character which is everything in the eyes of the commentators.

Rant over.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Can I just say how much it bugs me that, every time a Zelda player shows up on stream, the commentators always, ALWAYS, talk merely about how much they think she's garbage. Commentators don't know anything about her and just spew out whatever they think is bad about the character which is everything in the eyes of the commentators.

Rant over.
Having co-commented once on a Zelda match, it's mostly out of a need of something to say. Thanks to having a Zelda main on commentary, we were able to have a good discussion on Zelda's perceptions in the meta and her options in the specific matchup. Without that expert opinion, commentary is limited to Zelda's meta presence, which isn't great.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
sisT your Zelda did good. You were up against top players like iStudying and they used top tiers too. Why'd you decide to use Zelda though, you think that she's absolute garbage and theres no reason to use her so I'm curious why you used her.

If you want a decent secondary that might cover match-ups you should pick up Wii Fit Trainer or Lucina. You could pick Marth, but Lucina imo is more fun and you have more freedom with her. I'm not saying drop Zelda, but tournament wise it wouldn't be a bad idea because you go to actual tournaments.
Thanks! There's no real reason. It's a small local and while we usually go ou mains, this time my opponents decided to go secondaries so I just followed suit. To be honest I actually want to use my Zelda in a serious setting more often since I genuinely want to improve with her. It's only out of character attachment though. I am 100% confident in Peach in every match-up and I think there's literally no match-up Zelda does better than her, so I'm definitely not doing it from a competitive point of view.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Hi it's me again with another Zelda showcase video, but this one is quite more elaborate than my previous one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when making it.

You can watch it on YouTube

But I REALLY recommend you download this high quality upload because frankly YouTube dropped the quality significantly. It's somewhat big at around 624 MB.

DinsFireIsOP

Smash Cadet
Never thought of using Phantom while facing the stage for edgeguarding. I should try it.

Also, that poor Shulk on Dream Land.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Never thought of using Phantom while facing the stage for edgeguarding. I should try it.

Also, that poor Shulk on Dream Land.
IMO, It's really good like that. It can mess with many recoveries and it is very unexpected.

Plus if you use it at full charge, it is very likely that the Phantom will push your opponent against the wall then hit with the second swipe of the sword, making the stage spike untechable. Sometimes they may not get hit, but the fake windbox still pushes them below the stage (if it's not walled) and they don't get the chance to recover.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
IMO, It's really good like that. It can mess with many recoveries and it is very unexpected.

Phantom can't really ever be 'unexpected' per say, when it takes almost a full second for the level 2 attack alone, but I think I know what you're getting at. Very few players will know how to combat it with their recoveries if it's well-placed.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Phantom can't really ever be 'unexpected' per say, when it takes almost a full second for the level 2 attack alone, but I think I know what you're getting at. Very few players will know how to combat it with their recoveries if it's well-placed.
Yes your definition is better. Considering the distance it covers and the big hitbox it has it can block many recovery attempts. And while fully charging gets better results, Phantom 2 has some uses too, specially when you need that little extra time to catch your opponent.

Top Bottom