• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hylian presents: The NT Spike. *Updated with Video*

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You know when you chaingrab your opponent to the edge and then Dthrow or Fthrow into nana's fair? Don't you hate it when your opponent DI's so that the fair doesn't spike them? I have your solution.

The No-Throw spike.

This will spike your opponent 100% of the time. And it's very simple.

Just CG your opponent to the edge and have popo grab them at the edge. Now, instead of throwing them into a spike, just make nana jump with X or Y and then fair with the C-stick. This will spike your opponent right out of popo's hands.

This always works. Use it.

I will have a video uploaded very soon.

Video thanks to KRDSonic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNfGzj56eU&fmt=18

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
I've known it for a while but I actually don't remmeber anyone bringing it up since it's not really that obvious, thanks man.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I've done this a few times without realising it, but couldn't clear my head enough to use the c-stick for fair.
Usually I just fthrow then nana fair and DI backwards to sweetspot.

But anyway, nice find Hylian - cheers.

gordon117

Smash Cadet
Nice one hylian, I used this on accident the other day, and wasn't sure how I did it.

Apparently you found out for me.

javi1589

Smash Apprentice
haha ive been doing this since virtualvoid made his video back in march...so ill add something ...popo usually kills horizontally when the characters are at 130 or higher...but thats without DI

lain

Smash Master
DI'ing into the stage and teching is still applicable from here though (not that very many players at all tech it).

I usually never spike off the stage (unless it's a character with crappy vertical recovery).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I never said this was new :). I'm just presenting the information to the public. If you want to spike off the edge, you should know the best way to do it :).

Folm

Smash Cadet
I know you Hylian I talk to KRD and you guys compete in tournys together and your main is G&W but your still better than him with Ice Climbers lol. I already saw the vid and I woulda never thought about it, it looks like it'll help me loads.

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
would it be easier to do a fsmash before the ms? Otherwise if you do it too early nothing happens and you lose a grab combo finisher

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Cool, I mentioned this in the "F-throw or D-throw to Spike" thread like 2 weeks ago lol

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Hylian you are pure beast mode. You were a great help on the melee boards and I'm glad to see that it carried over to Brawl.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
You know when you chaingrab your opponent to the edge and then Dthrow or Fthrow into nana's fair? Don't you hate it when your opponent DI's so that the fair doesn't spike them? I have your solution.

The No-Throw spike.

This will spike your opponent 100% of the time. And it's very simple.

Just CG your opponent to the edge and have popo grab them at the edge. Now, instead of throwing them into a spike, just make nana jump with X or Y and then fair with the C-stick. This will spike your opponent right out of popo's hands.

This always works. Use it.

I will have a video uploaded very soon.

Video thanks to KRDSonic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNfGzj56eU&fmt=18
First of all--- Hi everyone! I've been absent from these boards for a few months now, as I'm far more into Team Fortress 2 than I ever was Smash Brothers. Anyway, I figured I'd check the site after a long while because I was curious as to whether or not people would have "discovered" new ATs. After months and months of absence I can say this... not much is new. The same arguments still persist and the character tier placement ideas are about the same as when I had left off.

As for this thread-- I'm actually kind of shocked. I expected more current threads to go beyond something as obvious and simple as spiking from a grab, while in a grab. When I got Brawl, and decided to main both Falco and ICs I went nuts practicing everything each had to offer. Naturally, that would insinuate I mastered the chaingrabs, locks, and any other useful tricks that my characters had at their disposal. As soon as I started fooling around with the IC's chaingrabs I came to the realization that one can Fair spike with Nana while Popo was holding the enemy, without Popo throwing the enemy. As Hylian mentioned, this alleviates the DI issue, as the enemy can't escape your grasp in time to avoid the Fair spike. I do think it kind of Hylian to point this out, by no means do I undermine him, and don't get me wrong this should be known and used by all ICs players. The funny thing is I thought this was commonsense. I never really thought about it, I never thought that it was something worth mentioning as I figured it'd be one of those things that was as obvious as anything else. For example, after months and months of absence the last thread that I expected to view as a new topic is one that points out something that I've known since the beginning experimental stages of playing the ICs.

That's the great thing about the Ice climbers--you have options. To be good, you have to be able to change up your strategy on the fly. Whilst using their chaingrabs, you can differ the grabs in so many ways that it's sickening. You can lock, you can alternate grab, you can smash attack, you can throw the enemy into a smash.... the list goes on and on. The more you know about any given character the more you can unleash upon your enemy--- every bit of information can help.

Again, I didn't post this to claim ownership over this technique as I believe that's rather foolish. Sure I figured it out through my own experimentation, though I'm sure many have. The same can be said for any character, and the "ATs" that people have come up with. My primary reason for posting was just that I thought it funny that after months of absence I didn't stumble upon some newly found ultimate combo... like wobbling, or something.

Thanks guys------- sorry for the wall-of-text! :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
For sure, Brawl doesn't have near the amount of technical depth as Melee did. AFAICT the metagame has still been steadily advancing, though, so battles are getting more interesting to watch... but they won't be as intense as Melee matches. It's just a different game.

I love Brawl and all, but I don't see why you would expect many crazy new glitches to be discovered. There's less going on in the engine, and the devs were more careful this time not to let the game have too much competitive depth. *shrug*

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I STILL never said this was new >_>.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION:
is there any reason why this WOULDN'T work? i know i've done this before, but sometimes (i don't know why) Popo holds them even after Nana's spike, and by the time Nana recovers, the have a grab break. Why does this happen?

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
that happened to me before. i think you just need to wait a little bit longer

infomon

Smash Scientist
I wonder if the grab "super-armor" (or actually it's called faux-super-armor somewhere else) is actually a heavy-armor scenario. My theory: at the start of the grab, there's a set amount of damage that would be required to hit you out of the grab. This number decreases throughout the grab's duration until it hits 0, at which point you are released. The number starts higher with the grabbed player's damage%. This would explain how grab-attacks decrease the amount of time the grab will last. And also why Nana's smashes will sometimes hit you out of the grab, and sometimes not.

This could be rigorously tested with three characters, but I only have two controllers. If I'm correct, it would be nice to know exactly what the starting-grab-damage-amount is, to accurately predict when someone would get grab-released.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
QUESTION:
is there any reason why this WOULDN'T work? i know i've done this before, but sometimes (i don't know why) Popo holds them even after Nana's spike, and by the time Nana recovers, the have a grab break. Why does this happen?
It's just because you are not holding them over the edge. They are at low %'s or they are above the ground.

TKD

Smash Lord
Haven't you tried FORWARD THROW into spike, Hylian? It gives your opponent less time to break out and even gets them just a bit more outside the stage before the spike.

I've been fthrow>spiking ever since day one of me playing as the IC.

FT+Spike >>>>>>>>>> NT Spike.

PS: Take it from an IC main lol!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Haven't you tried FORWARD THROW into spike, Hylian? It gives your opponent less time to break out and even gets them just a bit more outside the stage before the spike.

I've been fthrow>spiking ever since day one of me playing as the IC.

FT+Spike >>>>>>>>>> NT Spike.

PS: Take it from an IC main lol!
The fthrow spike can be DI'ed out of at certian %'s. The NT spike can never be escaped.

chewyy

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64NumEBZhFQ

First stock second match (around 4:48), nice idea though, even though it should be obvious ICs has alot of potencial so small things might get unnoticed, I´ll defeniatly start using that trick.
Hey! I know that guy! :)
[edit] : Lol, 100% luck/chance. He didn't mean to go off the ledge, or he was trying to save Nana.
Still pretty cool, I should try that. :colorful:

10 3rd person.

Top Bottom