• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Johnz 2: Justice shall be served April 28th Portage IN venue confirmed

Kel

Smash Master
Yeah, don't get our intentions wrong Large C. We are fully aware that this is YOUR tournament and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. By all means, please do. We're simply arguing towards the Midwest and where it's headed and what the best way to go is. This subject started in SMYM but ended up here because that thread got locked. That being said, maybe we could make a thread for this so that it doesn't clog up this thread and potentially close it prematurely. Would that be okay mods?

OS's posts are long because he's trying to create a feasable arguement with reasoning and logic behind it. To tell someone a simple syllogism doesn't mean they'll believe it, you have to explain why the logic works.

Oh by the way. PC Chris is widely considered one of the best smashers in the world, yes? Camping doesn't work huh? So I guess Vidjo beating Port Chester Chris at FC6 didn't actually happen?

Tink

Smash Hero
just to add, i dont think this debate is pointless or shouldnt be had, just not in here. if people could just make a thread for it, it would make me happy. i even think that people should, but i really dont think it will solve anything. seeing is how, most people are prety set on their opinions on the matter.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In my opinion the stage selection should be designed to promote balance in the characters. We have a good idea of how good the characters are so by handicapping the characters that are slightly better with stages we can make it possible for more characters to be used competitively. Obviously this has limits, bad characters are never gonna be good on any level. But with the right mix it should be possible to have up to 9 viable characters.

p.s. i started writing my post before tinks post so i'm exempt from that rule
I've always personally thought that Pokemon stadium, Dreamland 64, and Final Destination made a good "random 3", as long as a player had one stage ban. There really isn't a single character that is "bad" on two of the three stages, and no character is excellent on all three, with the exception of Captain Falcon depending on pokemon stadium's element.

But anyways...

If we can have another thread about it that's fine, but it isn't really an accident the discussion ended up here. If someone wants to hold their own tournament and have their own rules, that happens, and if Big C has logic behind his decisions all the better. The problem is when there is a very small number of midwest tournaments, and the community has tournaments like this that pop up with large scale bannings. Not exactly something that would be helpful to the midwest if it caught on. This is especially dangerous if this is a midwest circuit event. It would be completely different than other circuit events.

Scary thought.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Neutral stages are only neutral because of how symmetrical and without walls they are compared to everything else. Specific advantages can still be gleaned from them.

Peach players are much harder to KO on Dreamland 64 than anywhere else. Marth players suddenly can apply pressure without needing to cover nearly as much distance when on Yoshi's Story. Falco kind of has a wide open field for SHL on Final Destination. Certain stages of Pokémon Stadium have walls, and Murphy already stated what happens with Foxes and walls.

There is no "absolutely" balanced single stage in the game.

Tink

Smash Hero
well, if we wanna make the MW better, answer me this question. whos the best coast right now? EC and they usually only play on nuetrals...uh-oh!!!

edit: you cant look for a COMPLETELY nuetral stage, because there isnt one stage that does/doesnt favors all the characters. you can only look for the most balanced stage imo.

SOMEONE MAKE A THREAD ABOUT STAGES!!!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
well, if we wanna make the MW better, answer me this question. whos the best coast right now? EC and they usually only play on nuetrals...uh-oh!!!

If this were the only difference, I'd agree.

However, you can't really ignore the fact that they

-have more frequent tournaments
-have a larger pool of smashers
-have a larger pool of COMPETITIVE smashers
-have the biggest number of traveling smashers
-are no stranger to counterpicks

EC doesn't "just play on neutrals". They're good at the other stages too. A lot of their players happen to prefer neutrals, but I guarantee that each player prefers a specific neutral map. There's a reason for that, and it's the same reason a player can prefer a non-neutral map. The map they pick is one that they like, one that they are used to, and one that gives them a natural advantage.

Why start with banning non-neutrals? Why not start with making more tournaments and bi-weeklies, or maybe getting all the best players in the midwest together and attempting to find ways to make MW players want to travel more?

The only people that have done this are the Kishes, and Midwest has improved drastically because of it. Look at how good we are now compared to last years FC. We've improved a great deal, and it shows. This isn't a fluke; the midwest circuit came about and we've been given consistent tournaments.

My personal "dream" for the midwest is to have a midwest circuit with standardized rulesets (for the most part), and bi-weeklies or weekly tournaments all over the midwest. Tiny ones of maybe 4-10 people, scattered all over, so that everyone gets a lot of practice and maybe some real crews can get started.

If you want to emulate the coasts, do it. They don't ban these stages. They just have, and go, to more tournaments.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
actually depending on how things go, my tourney might be a circuit event, and it will have a total of 6 stages on, only 3 of which are on random.

g'day!

Tink

Smash Hero
actually the MW has just as many tournaments as EC, just that they are more spread out. ive been to a tournament every weekend in march, and there seems to be tournaments almost every weekend in april as well.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
actually the MW has just as many tournaments as EC, just that they are more spread out. ive been to a tournament every weekend in march, and there seems to be tournaments almost every weekend in april as well.
this is very true. it comes down to people not wanting to drive, not the number of players/tourneys.

::P::

Smash Rookie
Huge Johnz was the first tourny I ever participated in, and it was awesome.

If this goes down on April 21st, I'll be there.

CaptainAwesome

Smash Ace
Big C, don't make this April 21st. Sorry to the dude two posts above me, but if that's the day, I won't make it. It wouldn't be Huge Johns without me, and the justice served would be greatly reduced if I'm not there.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
what are the other potential dates we are looking at then?

edit: saZmus also has an interest in captain awesome's attendance. Something about a vendetta or something.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm assuming you're talking about April. In which case I'm going to inform you that a Game junkie tournament is that day. Not that I'll be attending it, I'm just telling you your competition because I know Dope Vidjo and Tinky enjoy GJ.

At any rate, I'd love to go but my girlfriend's prom is that day =(. I'll catch the next one C-bear.

BIG C

Smash Master
heh TJ yea it's april tink wanted me to make this the 21st dope and vidjo can go to GJ idc. idc that much about attendance for this one just as long as we get swiss to run smoothly I'll be happy.

and dopey loves BIG C and tinky as well so maybe that'll outweigh GJ's store credit prizes.

BIG C

Smash Master
it's fun it just does not have enough setups and takes far too long for the tourny to finish. Then, of course there are the people who don't wear deodorant that fro everyone. Also, if anyone farts the whole place will know.

BIG C

Smash Master
heh i was even talking about elliot and that was for GJ. at GJ it happens and at bigger tournies it does. like a certain ganon player that no one really knows.

Mars-

Smash Champion
heh i was even talking about elliot and that was for GJ. at GJ it happens and at bigger tournies it does. like a certain ganon player that no one really knows.
I play ganon, but I don't main, or tourny play him. But people know me, so it must not be me. I'm thinking about making a hygene guide for some people.

Top Bottom