• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 How will MLG affect the landscape of the Brawl community overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Now that MLG has added Brawl to the circuit, I must ask, how will it affect the overall outlook of the Brawl community? More specifically, will we see more people take interest in Brawl now that it has been added and shown in a major spotlight? In addition, we've seen the support for both sides in the 7 billion page MK discussion thread. Will the support to ban MK increase or decrease based off of the tournament results?

I decided to keep the specific questions limited, so that there's a starting point at least.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I really don't think MLG could have went better for advertising our community. There was a lot of worry about a boring event with lots of camping/timing out (there was some of that, but it wasn't rampant from what I hear) and abuse of ridiculous stages. Instead we got an event with crazy upsets throughout the entire bracket and very healthy character diversity. I'd say expect the Brawl community to grow quite a bit after this.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'd bet good money than Smash was the most hyped crowd at MLG. I heard from some other South FL people that even Halo players came over and started saying "this s*** is so crazy I wanna pick up this game for this."

I'd bet good money than Smash was the most hyped crowd at MLG. I heard from some other South FL people that even Halo players came over and started saying "this s*** is so crazy I wanna pick up this game for this."
Overall, I say this is probably one of the better things to happen. Before hand, Brawl was fairly region only gameplay. We had a couple of national type tournaments with plenty of people traveling all over the place, but with this, tournaments are seeing a great deal more hype now it seems. If anything, this might actually hype people into playing slightly less campy styles.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The community is going to blindly follow whatever MLG's tournament standard is, and MLG wants to host tournaments that are fun to watch.

Say bye to Sirlin. He's not comin back.

Syntac

Smash Rookie
The community is going to blindly follow whatever MLG's tournament standard is, and MLG wants to host tournaments that are fun to watch.

Who is sirlin?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if we follow something that makes it all more enjoyable as long as they don't compromise tournament compatibility for fun (i.e. adding items or really bad stages.)

I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember Sirlin saying he really supported Smash as a competitive fighting series. In other words, I don't think he was ever here to leave in the first place.

If Smash got to Halo's level(it has a longgggg way to go for that though), it'd be pretty insane to see all of the best people able to go to all of the top tournaments because they're all sponsored as well as huge pot increases due to help from sponsors supporting the tournaments.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
After MLG...

Many people will get back into the smash scene who were inactive before.
Stage diversity is a good thing, because it's a strategic element to SSBB.
Nintendo's true colors will show, if they really want smash to be competitive or not by allowing livestream.
More people will be getting good at brawl, so expect quite a few upsets.
Pro players might show up on some advertisements for Dr. Pepper and Doritos.
Other fighting game communities will become jealous of the smash bros. community.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
After MLG...

Other fighting game communities will become jealous of the smash bros. community.
I think this is the best and worst part of MLG. The stubborn idiots who say Smash isn't a real fighting game are probably going to bump up their arguing over the issue. I'm pretty sure they already are jealous of us, but they don't want to admit it.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Honestly, I like the stage choice MLG has.

Smash whether you believe it's a fighting game or not is undoubtedly unique

Stages in our game mean something whereas in Street Fighter they don't. I think having a handful of Not so basic stages makes the game less predictable and more entertaining from a spectator perspective. Smash's Mechanics and stages and things make it unique so we should try and magnify those strengths without breaking the game completely.

Sadly due to the way items work those are unviable but we still have stages that arent completely random and broken yet are dynamic enough that shows this (stuff like norfair and rainbow cruise.)

And as far as tripping goes, I'm not saying I think it's a good thing but what other games have random momentum shifts like that? I'm thinking even though tripping sucks majorly it can work to our advantage and make smash more appealing (to the people NOT playing, I know) but spectator will say OH MAN HE TRIPPED THAT WAS CRAZY OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS SO UNPREDICTABLE BLARG

Brawl seems boring to more hardcore players and melee players, but to the masses and the players n other communities who don't understand it on a deeper level it's still pretty exciting. Everyone wants Smash to compete with fighting game communities when we're our own thing. There's nothing like Smash being played competitively IMO

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
mk will (hopefully) be banned for being so broken, ness will move up to a better status, lucas will become mid tier for sure. Zelda will move back up.
More competeive people will come.
some of the more casual brawlers may leave...
and possibly a ssb4 soon? (with more characters)
and more stages will be banned

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Brawl seems boring to more hardcore players and melee players, but to the masses and the players n other communities who don't understand it on a deeper level it's still pretty exciting. Everyone wants Smash to compete with fighting game communities when we're our own thing. There's nothing like Smash being played competitively IMO
It's boring a lot of the times because:
1: There aren't enough people to cheer on for players from their state/area. If the Smash community expands, people will be able to cheer for their "home team" player. As a player that went to MLG, it was anything but boring. There was soooooo much hype that you could cut the tension with a knife.

2: People watch the videos watching for how many attacks were thrown or what attacks they threw. Watching ESAM vs ADHD I noticed how many options each player limited and it gets ridiculous.

mk will (hopefully) be banned for being so broken, ness will move up to a better status, lucas will become mid tier for sure. Zelda will move back up.
More competeive people will come.
some of the more casual brawlers may leave...
and possibly a ssb4 soon? (with more characters)
and more stages will be banned
MK is not getting banned.
I agree with more competitive players will join in on the fun.
It won't affect the casual players because they don't care about competitive play.
That's completely up to Nintendo.
The stage list(I thought) was perfect except maybe for Green Greens.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nothing occurred on the stages that was outside of my expectations. I think the worst thing may have been getting hit and either dying/being saved by falling blocks on green greens.

I'd recommend following Isai's advice: Don't get hit

Djent

Smash Champion
I've been meaning to get into competitive smash for a long time now; hearing about the insane hype this event produced might finally convince me to do it. :embarrass

Or I might do what my rational side is telling me and work all summer for college $. :urg:

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
All I'm going to say about hype is:

1 person was carried over the crowd after a match on day 1. (Only 3 rounds of winners were played on day 1)
3 people were carried over the crowd after their matches on day 2.

I didn't see anything like that from any other station during the 3 days I was there.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Brawl hype was crazy. I was getting MAD at Halo for not having more hype. However, this may be due to Halo not getting hype until near finals. Also, when I was watching Halo, it's more intense and dragged out. We can get hyped over a stock, but in Team Slayer race to 50, you're not cheering over ever single kill. I know when SnipeDown triple killed to retake the hill in King of the Hill vs. Carbon, it was hype.

Also, I think that Smash will have an advantage because we raised ourselves up. We're not just rooting for the home team, we're rooting for out FRIENDS. We might shout out, "East Coast, West Coast, Florida, etc" but at the end of the day, you KNOW that person playing. It's not just cheering for the Yankees because you rep New York. I've gone out to eat with, and had countless laughs and hella good times with these people, so **** gets real.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ Well said. Midwest is going to add even more hype at home! Emm DoubleU comin' for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom