• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Glennwood

Smash Cadet
NNID
nuclearglenn
So, what in the holy **** do you do when off stage against marth? As soon as I get knocked off they just wait there, fsmashing when I recover low, and fair or dair when I go high. I don't know what to do, I feel helpless, sometimes I can get a SDI into wall tech, SOMETIMES, and even then it isn't always saving me. There is one marth who does this in particular, he's not a great player but as soon as he gets you off the side he will sit there and wait you out. Drives me nuts, especially when I beat him in neutral 7/10 times yet one well placed tipper sends me off stage then I'm ****ed.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Drunkelmann.

Ian, I criticize spider_sense, bizz, linguini, n0ne, and Kage's Ganons too. Several of us do. No one is trying to bash anyone, the best Ganons SHOULD get the most criticism so we can get to the bottom of what is optimal. It's about pushing the meta. Everyone makes mistakes and we can all learn more from identifying them within high level Ganon play.
I personally don't mind critiques, it's just that when I do ask for some personal evaluations. No one really gives me a clear and concise answer. I remember I had ask Locke to critique a match I had vs Pi awhile back and he barely said anything regarding my decision making, approaches and whatnot. I asked the Ganon here when I lost to Ghatzu and SPECIFICALLY asked how to get around C.Falcon spaced out nairs, no one said ****. I just gave up asking for help, because every response I get is lack luster.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So, what in the holy **** do you do when off stage against marth? As soon as I get knocked off they just wait there, fsmashing when I recover low, and fair or dair when I go high. I don't know what to do, I feel helpless, sometimes I can get a SDI into wall tech, SOMETIMES, and even then it isn't always saving me. There is one marth who does this in particular, he's not a great player but as soon as he gets you off the side he will sit there and wait you out. Drives me nuts, especially when I beat him in neutral 7/10 times yet one well placed tipper sends me off stage then I'm ****ed.
Dont go off stage, a good Marth will 100% edgeguard Ganon.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I personally don't mind critiques, it's just that when I do ask for some personal evaluations. No one really gives me a clear and concise answer. I remember I had ask Locke to critique a match I had vs Pi awhile back and he barely said anything regarding my decision making, approaches and whatnot. I asked the Ganon here when I lost to Ghatzu and SPECIFICALLY asked how to get around C.Falcon spaced out nairs, no one said ****. I just gave up asking for help, because every response I get is lack luster.
Maybe I wasn't saying great stuff because we could talk about it in person. I was only pointing out that criticism isn't supposed to be interpreted as bashing or "you ain't good" or whatever people interpret it as when they get butthurt lol

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Maybe I'll do a more in-depth critique of the next big Ganon set that takes place. Unless lots of people want one that already took place.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I don't remember this.

What would be some good sets to check out for the Marth Ganon MU anyways?

Kage v The Moon at bh5 would be okay. I can't think of any recent stellar matches between Ganon and Marth that are representative of how both characters should be played optimally.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah I forgot about kage vs the moon. I remember Kage wasn't as strong mentally in GF's compared to WF but all the matches are good.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I never responded because I had it in my head you only wanted advice from specific people. If you post something again, I'd give you as much critique as you want after reading this.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Going back to what Jason said, I really like the use of wd away when you expect an approach. Causing him to mis-space nair gives you more ASDI options and more shieldgrabs.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm late but w/e

ace, there is no point in trying to SDI puff's rest because it doesn't help you tech. SDI up and down are not possible while on the ground and left and right are not going to do anything.

also, someone said that amsa teching rest is possible until 29%? if it even is possible to amsa tech rest, it'll definitely stop working below that threshold. Falcon punch isn't possible to tech post 40% and thats considerably weaker.

I just tested trying to amsa tech rest and couldn't get it even at 0%

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm late but w/e

ace, there is no point in trying to SDI puff's rest because it doesn't help you tech. SDI up and down are not possible while on the ground and left and right are not going to do anything.

also, someone said that amsa teching rest is possible until 29%? if it even is possible to amsa tech rest, it'll definitely stop working below that threshold. Falcon punch isn't possible to tech post 40% and thats considerably weaker.

I just tested trying to amsa tech rest and couldn't get it even at 0%
LOOOOL yet another one. We've been through this dude, my Ganon has magical powers. Don't ever MM me.

Top Ganons break records. ACE breaks the rules. You can have your statistics. I prefer the magic.

:denzel:

Last edited:

DCW

Smash Apprentice
Top Ganons break records. ACE breaks the rules. You can have your statistics. I prefer the magic.

LOL

I've been silent for a while. Trying to play Marth, though I still love Ganon. I'll check back in occasionally and post seriously again if/when I start playing him again. I believe in studying one character at a time until I'm decent at that character. Anyway, thanks for the laughs and the knowledge in this thread.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
LOOOOL yet another one. We've been through this dude, my Ganon has magical powers. Don't ever MM me.

Can I have your magic powers when you die?

tm

Smash Ace
SDI into walltech if they like fsmash, then upB. **** is actually free as ****
dtilt is harder but still techable
if they're smart and grab ledge, then make it ambiguous as to whether or not you'll make it onstage.
if you can't go low, or if they like to edgeguard from the ledge a lot, just go as high as possible and DI really well.

despite marth's godlike edgeguarding I think it's a lot easier to live than vs a good fox / falco / falcon / sheik / puff
Kage's right tho, you really should be dead every time you get hit offstage, save for some throw mixups.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Anyway............. went to a tournament today, didn't play well at all. Got 4th and was playing super slow. Definitely should have at least gotten 3rd, kels and vro were the only people there that I've lost to before today. Felt like I just got caught in my movement a lot and wasn't going anywhere.

srsly guys **** peach

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Ripple Ripple You're actually already in the air during hitlag when hit by a move that sends above 0° . You can SDI those moves up, though it's not usually useful. Normally you still cannot SDI down, since your base position remains where it was before the hit, and ECB is still touching the ground. (The following won't apply to jiggs, kirby and DK for reasons lol) However, on frame 11 the ECB will update to the much smaller aerial shape that will be considerably above ground. Thus if the move does 11+ frames of hitlag like rest, you have to SDI downwards after the ECB shape change occurs in order to move your ECB back close enough to ground to collide via ASDI.

Falcon punch isn't possible to tech post 40% and thats considerably weaker.
I just amsah teched the strongest hit of falcon punch at 70% pre-hit, 86% after-hit with ganon (Massively staled. The strongest hit does too much hitlag like rest and would have to be SDI'd), not sure where you got the 40% . Down and in TDI + Down ASDI against the weakest outer hitbox of falcon punch will work only until 37%, maybe that? With proper Down and away TDI it can be teched at 89% though.

Top Bottom