• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Went mudding for the first time a week ago in West Virginia with a redneck. Was a lot of fun. Had a few beers and got to drive on these dirty off trail roads. **** was liiiitttt

Renth

Smash Hero
You can KO fox/falco mid-high percentages. If they do not DI behind.

It's very reactionary you can hit it just by sight. I kill almost every spacies in this manner

http://youtu.be/qTIcUz02z9o

7 min 30 seconds. When I make the video I'm working on expect to see me do that about 20 times in different percentages. It's really good.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Ok but the point of a hypothetical is you are just assuming you have it down 100 percent
Sure. To me 'consistent' isn't very strictly defined concept, so I wanted to give a range of success rate to help interpret my answer. For example, I'd consider 80% success rate with this kind of tech consistent. With 100% consistency I think it would be no brainer to go for the risk strategy, at least as long as the tech is unknown in the meta.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
What about Shadow Falcons? aka 20GX, never approach style falcon?
On big stages, lame them out. Anyone can be baited into approaching. Depends on their precise habits but it's usually better when they come to you. Get grabs and use the **** out of the option select cg/uthrow trap.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
He would've wrecked s2j harder had he chaingrabbed where possible. He did use uthrow pretty well tho, just needed to regrab DI behind more often. He used jab, and actually got a sick follow-up or two, but he was more on point vs n0ne.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well there is a difference between playing how you want vs playing the matchup properly. n0ne and s2j are very stubborn when it comes to not playing the matchup correctly. They want to make the community accept that an aggressive style Falcon can win anything but that doesn't work vs Ganon. When I play n0ne, he ****s me up so hard because he hates how I play and he doesn't respect me at all. I'm the only one who he will do that to. lol

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's a bad matchup, but doable. I think wizzy is beatable honestly.

If Ganon is punishing to the max and DI'ing perfectly, the matchup isn't as bad imo, despite how many times falcon will win neutral, and despite how many times this means you losing a stock.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I saw a lot of stomp tech chase attempts with Ganon when Ian was playing and i think that needs to be used much more rarely because its actually reactable with a roll away. If you dont jump then wavedash in instead you can use the side-b/shield on reaction to a roll or get up attack. Also downsmash (though it is also somewhat reactable to avoid) and down-b depending on % ofc. Downtilt is also a very interesting option while techchasing actually. You have to make them flinch instead by not jumping in techchase situations. Its come to that point where its easy to see Ganon jumping at you so these situations become more reliable.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I saw a lot of stomp tech chase attempts with Ganon when Ian was playing and i think that needs to be used much more rarely because its actually reactable with a roll away. If you dont jump then wavedash in instead you can use the side-b/shield on reaction to a roll or get up attack. Also downsmash (though it is also somewhat reactable to avoid) and down-b depending on % ofc. Downtilt is also a very interesting option while techchasing actually. You have to make them flinch instead by not jumping in techchase situations. Its come to that point where its easy to see Ganon jumping at you so these situations become more reliable.
True, honestly this is something I've always been conscious of but it's hardly ever discussed... the fact that people have time to react to certain techchases. In SFL only against porkchops really would I have to fake him out with a quick dd or something. You can recognize quickly how much attention they are paying and how aware they are of their options.

I'm glad you brought that up because I'll be looking at my jumps more.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
side-b and down b are both pretty good tech chase options that cover 3/4 if executed perfectly. And the opponnent has no way to really tell where you're trying to cover either. Only thing I don't like about side-b is it's an auto knee if you whiff and then down b leaves you open even if you DO hit them when they're at low %.

But, as always, whoever grabs in this matchup is the one who wins. Ian was doing something very interesting with his grabs that ALL of us should start doing. Ian will intentionally shield grab an aerial that's "safe on shield," because hey why not... then when the falcon jabs to stop the grab from coming out, Ian will ASDI down the jab and crouch cancel the next and immediately grab. Great tactic I think.

Only thing that could get around that IMO would be for the falcon to do a safe-on-shield aerial and then dash away, which gives them a free knee or grab. Use it sparingly, but I say keep it in your arsenal.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yea... Side-b and down-b just need to be input as soon as your opponent hits the ground for the options to be covered. But of course for side-b against Falco and falcon you have to be basically on top of them.

I still think it's best to always cg falcon when possible. I manage to really get in ppl's heads when I regrab DI away from dthrow. They start associating DI away with being regrabbed until I uthrow and DI behind means regrab (55 to 85-90%) also. The inexperienced ones (almost everyone) will even try partial DI lol, easy regrab. The ability to react and option select is everything.

Now, if falcon DI's my dthrow behind, one of the common techchases I try is dash backwards and fair to cover the techroll behind. This tells you if he's currently simple minded enough to DI and roll in the same direction to just get away from you. It also tells you whether or not they're reacting at the last second to your movements out of dthrow like kage talked about (if they DI behind but techroll forward, they may have seen your dash and reacted). The other one you can use is AC bair at the last second so you can also dash jc grab the techroll forward. But if he's reacting at the last second he can continue with his techroll behind once he sees you haven't dashed and be safe. It lets you know how much respect to give them in techchasing situations. Not many people are on this level of thinking though, mostly only really high level players.

I just uthrow when I have a plat in front of me, or i REALLY think they'll DI behind. I'm also more likely to if punishing DI away + techroll away is barely possible by dash forward SHFF fair... Since a lot of people view DI away + techroll away as safe from uthrow before it actually is.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
side-b and down b are both pretty good tech chase options that cover 3/4 if executed perfectly. And the opponnent has no way to really tell where you're trying to cover either. Only thing I don't like about side-b is it's an auto knee if you whiff and then down b leaves you open even if you DO hit them when they're at low %.

But, as always, whoever grabs in this matchup is the one who wins. Ian was doing something very interesting with his grabs that ALL of us should start doing. Ian will intentionally shield grab an aerial that's "safe on shield," because hey why not... then when the falcon jabs to stop the grab from coming out, Ian will ASDI down the jab and crouch cancel the next and immediately grab. Great tactic I think.

Only thing that could get around that IMO would be for the falcon to do a safe-on-shield aerial and then dash away, which gives them a free knee or grab. Use it sparingly, but I say keep it in your arsenal.
You dont down-B techchase at low %, it's dumb. lol

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
And then you could start using wavedash oos. Like the grab, you could crouch cancel and asdi a jab out of it. And if they dash away, you catch them with jab, ftilt, or something out of the wavedash.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
for those that offered support, thanks.

for those that didn't, go ahead and beat s2j 3-1 in winners bracket kthx bye.

when i can travel out of state this character is going to get a revolution that extends past mediocre gfycats and youtube compilations just FYI. i'm pretty ****ing lit right now.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Who didn't offer support here? O_O
Drunkelmann.

Ian, I criticize spider_sense, bizz, linguini, n0ne, and Kage's Ganons too. Several of us do. No one is trying to bash anyone, the best Ganons SHOULD get the most criticism so we can get to the bottom of what is optimal. It's about pushing the meta. Everyone makes mistakes and we can all learn more from identifying them within high level Ganon play.

Last edited:

Potet

Smash Rookie
So the other day i came up with the idea to add the darkness effect to just the tipman hitbox of Ganon's Uair so you have a visual when you get the perfect hitbox. I was talking to some guys in the Ganon discord and they said it was a really neat Idea so I decided to post here. If anyone wants the DL link I'll post a link to the plgn.dat.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Drunkelmann.

Ian, I criticize spider_sense, bizz, linguini, n0ne, and Kage's Ganons too. Several of us do. No one is trying to bash anyone, the best Ganons SHOULD get the most criticism so we can get to the bottom of what is optimal. It's about pushing the meta. Everyone makes mistakes and we can all learn more from identifying them within high level Ganon play.
That's right, there's no need to hold back and be scared of such judgments. Of course some people don't like it but that is the nature of a competition, the ones at the top are the ones that will be scrutinized the most. You might not have signed for that but it's part of it anyway. No one is going to waste time about people getting butthurt, that's just fiending for attention.

Last edited:

Linguini

Smash Master
I'm actually not surprised ian beat s2j. I was playing against him for like 2 hours of friendlies and won 70% of em. He's pretty aggressive which makes it easier for ganon to get those big hits in. And ccing/shieldgrabbing against him is more effective. Same with n0ne. Good win tho!

Gravy and wizzrobe are homo in the matchup lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom