• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Bair/fair/ftilt/jab boomerangs you can't avoid. Don't get hit by bombs. Avoid them like the plague, and DI the explosion if you know you'll get hit. You want to keep the slightest bit more space from YL in the neutral game (as opposed to Link) due to his extra speed and agility, but you cannot give Link or YLink too much space; they'll literally run away with it (getting inside is everything). Be patient and gradually make your way inside as you feel out holes in his pressure/projectile spam. As usual, bair, uair, ftilt, and jab are generally your safest moves. You don't have to stay grounded but you must be smart every time you jump to do an aerial or go onto a platform, as both links can close space and cover options fairly quickly. Dair to grab is the strongest punish, but it's really no better than just grabbing (dair'ing first saves you 4 regrabs) Seriously GRAB IS ALMOST ALWAYS THE STRONGEST PUNISH. If link tries to grab you and misses, don't fair/dair him, just grab. Chaingrab either one to ~70% (Ylink 72% Link 74%) and bair/spaced fair them offstage. For edgeguarding, fully space a bair right on link/ylink's head during his up-B, making sure the sword doesn't hit you first (under the bair first), unless it is a perfect sweetspot, then you can reverse uair spike or just STOMP (I say stomp first since it's easy, and see if they're any good at MC'ing/teching). When they are recovering with the hookshot, if you're accustomed to playing links/ylinks you may be able to reverse uair spike them out of the grapple sweetspot, but it's tough. If they are really safe with the grapple, just keep some distance from the ledge and stick to ledge pressure (make him think it's safe to come up from the ledge then bair him). Don't go offstage, there is hardly ever a reason to.

And if you can't cg a level 1 Link on FD from 0%, practice until you can. Level 1 comps always DI behind but that is the hardest grab to get (near frame-perfect pivot dash jc grab) and good practice.

Last edited:

Video2gud

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Q here. I was told to post here by someone after he saw a couple of my pools matches (sorry man, I don't remember your tag ;_; you were wearing a bowser snapback though). I ended up going 2-2 in my pool, losing to Westballz and Victra. I was hoping I could make it into bracket haha.

I'm a ganon main from Socal (805/818). I've been playing competitively for exactly a year now. I started right after evo 2013. I look forward to reading/contributing to the ganon subforum. When SSS comes back (socal biweeklies), I plan to go a lot and level up. Hope to meet you guys soon o:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I was told to post here by someone after he saw a couple of my pools matches (sorry man, I don't remember your tag ;_; you were wearing a bowser snapback though)
That would be Ian ;)

AKA Eikelmann. He's a huge help to beginning players, welcome to the boards!
We need more ganon showings. If AXE can do it with pikachu, one of us can do it with the big man.

Video2gud

Smash Rookie
That would be Ian ;)

AKA Eikelmann. He's a huge help to beginning players, welcome to the boards!
We need more ganon showings. If AXE can do it with pikachu, one of us can do it with the big man.
Ganon definitely has the potential, it's all about his movement imo. I'm excited to see some ganons come out on top soon!

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Welcome, Q. I was very pleased with some of the things you were doing in your pools matches. Thank you for deciding to post here! Of the 7 or so newer Ganondorf players I met in Vegas over the week, you're the only one that's gone through with posting here, so good stuff.

My performance in tournament was unfortunately subpar. I went up against a Sheik from Socal named joejoe in winners round 2 of my pool and won 2-1, pretty swift win on game three. My set with Darkrain ended 2-0 in his favour, but both matches were great and I did some damage; it definitely wasn't a free win for him.

After I beat about 3 other people with ease on the losers side, I ended up having to play joejoe again. For whatever reason, I ended up going Fox game one. This cost me the entire set because I haven't used fox in over 6 months on a competitive level, and so the first match was basically charity. I took him to battlefield game two and won pretty convincingly. Game three was one of the most unenjoyable things I've ever done in my life. I was counterpicked to stadium and thought heavily about changing, but decided against it. 6 minutes, 21 seconds and one suicide later, I ended up losing 2-1 to joejoe and was out of the tournament. It was a disheartening loss unlike any other because there was no reason for me to have not made it out.

So that's it. However, I made $57 in money matches after day two was over, though I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get to money match @Mundungu (second seed in my pool. I assume he beat joejoe pretty swiftly).

This is an extremely valuable learning experience. Sheik is a matchup that I truly know nothing about and it's going to be very difficult to learn it, as there are 0 Sheiks in Florida to practice against, let alone hyper-defensive Sheik players that have no morals. I was so determined to do something for our character this past weekend, but I did no such thing.

Good games to @ Bizzarro Flame Bizzarro Flame in friendlies. I was really surprised at how well I did in comparison to when we played at Genesis 2. It's unfortunate that I didn't get to play Brandan at all, though.

Also, as a little easter egg, I beat Loki 2-0 at a pre-EVO tournament in Vegas two days before the event. Game two was a three stock on battlefield, and I ended up placing 5th behind Amsa, Ice, G$, and DJ Nintendo. Loki placed 17th.

Edit: BlackGold, I'm really flattered that you put me into your fantasy draft. However, none of the Ganondorfs could have known that Brandan would have placed the best of all of us. Bizz and Brandan seem to place pretty evenly at most SoCal events, and so seeing Bizz place decently lower than Brandan is uncharacteristic.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
$57 in mm's is legit lmao. How many mm's?

Also I'd like to see Brandandorf's bracket. What a name LOL

and IAN. QUIT GOING ASTRAY FROM THE DARK LORD. This is strike ****ing TWO.

:)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Yikes Ian, that's the second time you've made a rather poor character switch. I hope you don't make that mistake again. (unless it's an actual smart counterpicking decision)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Mr. Brandandorf beat "Darth Falco" and lost to Hbox. Then beat Emerican, C0indropalvin, chzy, and Jose Martinez. Then in bracket beat Xxxweedl0rd840xxX, Nmw, Kalamzhu, lost to Javi.

I only know hbox and javi but that's still good **** regardless lol.

#brandandorfnation

Coastward

Smash Lord
ever since i started working out again, i feel like i've been playing the game better.

quicker decision making, less tech flubs. I AM NOW A GOD.

imagine schwarzenegger playing melee lmao.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
$57 in mm's is legit lmao. How many mm's?

and IAN. QUIT GOING ASTRAY FROM THE DARK LORD. This is strike ****ing TWO.

:)
I can't recall the exact number, but I'd say somewhere around 15 to 16. I want to break this record at the next big tournament.

Like I said, it was a very valuable lesson. At this point, I'm questioning ever using someone else again in tournament other than Ganondorf...

We'll see.

Also, Bizz and I both agreed that Brandan had a hella easy bracket compared to the rest of the Ganondorfs xD

Superspright

Smash Lord
Working out is the best thing in the world. Do lots of squats, and deadlifts. Also, farmer walks are EXTREMELY good for strength and endurance. I mainly squat and deadlift because those are the hardest lifts.

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
Boop. Hello all :3 i'm a Ganon main in Ohio trying to at least be decent in competitive play and i heard the guys here were pretty chill so i thought i'd check it out. Haven't been on here in forever though X3

Renth

Smash Hero
Boop. Hello all :3 i'm a Ganon main in Ohio trying to at least be decent in competitive play and i heard the guys here were pretty chill so i thought i'd check it out. Haven't been on here in forever though X3
joined april 2014 "HASN'T BEEN HERE IN FOREVER"

just teasing, scroll through the threads bro, there is a plethora of amazing information here.

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
joined april 2014 "HASN'T BEEN HERE IN FOREVER"

just teasing, scroll through the threads bro, there is a plethora of amazing information here.
Lol. I've been working the past few days to get my mental game up because i feel that's my weak point right now and Tech is something i (hopefully) can learn decently quick. If i didn't work every day i'd probably be a lot better X3

tm

Smash Ace
Where in ohio? There's a respectable scene in NEOH, and some guys in the Cbus area, as well as here in NWOH.

Big House is my favorite tournament series. Anyone considering going should definitely commit.

Renth

Smash Hero
Where in ohio? There's a respectable scene in NEOH, and some guys in the Cbus area, as well as here in NWOH.

Big House is my favorite tournament series. Anyone considering going should definitely commit.
Big house is definitely a good time @Juggleguy is a great host.

Coastward

Smash Lord
im a solid 99% confirmed for big house.

i wanna meet as many of you guys and this'll be second OoS tourney since 2012. i wanna put my skills to the test.

maybe jiggles and raynex will come along so the toronto ganondorfs can make an appearance.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
BRO START COMING OUT A____A
It's too expensive for me to come out more than once a month, so I gotta prioritize. I play all Smash games so I wanna get as much out of 1 trip as possible. I'm gonna be the Brawl/Melee/64 Low Tier thing this weekend, cuz then I get 3 events for 1 trip. Also I main low tiers in all 3 games, so it's perfect.

WHEN THE MELEE TOURNAMENTS START HAVING GOOD SIDE EVENTS I'LL COME OUT TO THOSE MORE (also Arcadians cuz those are crazy fun)

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Eikelmann, it's hard to realize how good you've gotten over the years. From a fresh Ganon who barely knew how to tech-chase and move to a Ganon with the potential to be the best, you are definitely a notable figure.

Good luck with sharpening your match-ups.

Top Bottom