• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/546177698

20:00 - Me vs Happy Hydra (jiggs)
47:40 - Spider_Sense vs Elliot (peach)
59:25 - Spider_Sense vs Happy Hydra (jiggs) <-- watch how jason deals with jiggs differently/better than I do
108:55 - Spider_Sense vs Porkchops (falco) <-- must watch!!
123:40 - Spider_Sense vs Lambchops (falco)

I wasn't on stream much. I 2-0'd a good mewtwo and got 2-0'd by lambchops (2 stock/1 stock). Went all Ganon. Jason's falco game is super on point lately, peep the technique.

Coastward

Smash Lord
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/546177698

20:00 - Me vs Happy Hydra (jiggs)
47:40 - Spider_Sense vs Elliot (peach)
59:25 - Spider_Sense vs Happy Hydra (jiggs) <-- watch how jason deals with jiggs differently/better than I do
108:55 - Spider_Sense vs Porkchops (falco) <-- must watch!!
123:40 - Spider_Sense vs Lambchops (falco)

I wasn't on stream much. I 2-0'd a good mewtwo and got 2-0'd by lambchops (2 stock/1 stock). Went all Ganon. Jason's falco game is super on point lately, peep the technique.
im assuming the mewtwo was prof. what place did he get in melee?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah it was prof.... I'm not sure. After I put him in losers he definitely won a few sets. Ganon is just hard for mewtwo and I have experience in that mu also.

BTW. I'm BeerMasterSr because lambchops was supposed to be BeerMasterJr and he left me hanging by signing up as Beer Man. fuggin diiiick

And also prof went sheik when he faced jason's ganon later... got 4 stocked. As hard as it is he should just stay mewtwo lol. If you get 4 stocked on stream you're banned from stream for like 1-2 weeks lol... jason got 2 people banned last night

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
Yeah it was prof.... I'm not sure. After I put him in losers he definitely won a few sets. Ganon is just hard for mewtwo and I have experience in that mu also.

BTW. I'm BeerMasterSr because lambchops was supposed to be BeerMasterJr and he left me hanging by signing up as Beer Man. fuggin diiiick

And also prof went sheik when he faced jason's ganon later... got 4 stocked. As hard as it is he should just stay mewtwo lol. If you get 4 stocked on stream you're banned from stream for like 1-2 weeks lol... jason got 2 people banned last night
LOOOOOL, i keep telling that man to just stay mewtwo and be the best. and the commentators last night mentioned something about the beer tags lol.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Good **** Spider_Sense. Really liking the play and decisions you made. Beating Porkchops was nice :)

ACE, what was that Puff matchup dude? FD game 1? Not looking to good. At least Spider_Sense picked it up when he played the puff.

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
Skytch the hell you talking **** for when I 3 stocked your ganon with Ness. I'd probably do the same to trail's ganon so no worries

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
There's no platforms on FD. I'm just wondering your reasoning for striking there. I'd rather go to Dreamland than FD against Puff. At least there I have platforms to maneuver on.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganons have just abandoned FD over the years. Sure platforms help Ganon, but they help every other character also. Do you know how easy it is to techchase Ganon as jiggs on a platform? You can have one option covered with rest at any given moment and just aerial instead if it doesn't work out and you'll still profit. Don't rely on platforms as Ganon. Playing on FD will help you perfect your spacing and also your techchasing, which leads to being better at getting grabs and grab punishes IMO.

Locke, DL64 vs PUFF??? playing puff is 100% neutral game. You seriously have to just win exchanges (hit him) until he's dead, and DL makes that a much longer process. Also "not having platforms" is not a weakness of FD, it's a feature. If you can't profit on FD against floaties don't blame the stage. FD isn't the best stage, I'm not saying it should be CP'd all the time, but it offers a different game that I feel like a lot of people have chosen not to explore... and it's worth taking a look at.

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
Ganons have just abandoned FD over the years. Sure platforms help Ganon, but they help every other character also. Do you know how easy it is to techchase Ganon as jiggs on a platform? You can have one option covered with rest at any given moment and just aerial instead if it doesn't work out and you'll still profit. Don't rely on platforms as Ganon. Playing on FD will help you perfect your spacing and also your techchasing, which leads to being better at getting grabs and grab punishes IMO.
That being said, it makes sense that Ganons pick stages with platforms. Spacies can shoot lasers, Sheik can throw needles, and on FD there isn't anywhere where Ganon can really get a foothold away from that sort of harassment. In addition, platforms on the legal stages are generally very small, so it's much easier for Ganon to techchase on platforms than on solid ground, as you said. (See Bizzaro Flame's crazy stomp combo) Sure, it might make your techchases stronger, but you won't need great techchases when they're trying to tech away on a platform.

Coastward

Smash Lord
just got back from a local with 45 entrants, some of the top players were there.

ended up getting 9th. sent to losers by a sheik and knocked out by a buddy of mine. i think that's the best i've ever done. the studying and number crunching really helped, thanks for the tips and support homies. i think i coulda done better, as i played the higher placers and took games off of them.

also, for all the flordian residents: do you guys know of a guy named scidadel? he said he was from florida and got 5th with mario lmao. my scene is WEEEEEAAAAAAAK.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
GameFAQS did an Evo Draft and I joined it, this was my team:
Armada, Colbol, aMSa, Bladewise, Ken, LarryLurr, Lovage, Bizzarro Flame, Loki, Eikelmann

I went all Ganon in the later rounds, you guys better not let me down!

iRanch

Smash Cadet
also, for all the flordian residents: do you guys know of a guy named scidadel? he said he was from florida and got 5th with mario lmao. my scene is WEEEEEAAAAAAAK.
LOLLLLLLL I was just about to ask you if it was the same tournament. I've actually never got a chance to play him before he moved up there unfortunately.

Coastward

Smash Lord
LOLLLLLLL I was just about to ask you if it was the same tournament. I've actually never got a chance to play him before he moved up there unfortunately.
we were all like, "who is this ***** playing mario?" then he ends up taking out a notable fox, then a good sheik and then we were just going crazy. our minds were blown.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
That being said, it makes sense that Ganons pick stages with platforms. Spacies can shoot lasers, Sheik can throw needles, and on FD there isn't anywhere where Ganon can really get a foothold away from that sort of harassment. In addition, platforms on the legal stages are generally very small, so it's much easier for Ganon to techchase on platforms than on solid ground, as you said. (See Bizzaro Flame's crazy stomp combo) Sure, it might make your techchases stronger, but you won't need great techchases when they're trying to tech away on a platform.
You can't deal with lasers/needles on FD? Powershielding/SDI/avoiding them? Don't feel like mastering chaingrabbing?

Platforms help falco out a lot, giving him extra ways to 0-death Ganon. Characters with more speed than Ganon can use the platforms better in the neutral game for baiting (Ganon doesn't want to be above ANYONE basically so he can't use platforms for long). Platforms give us free techchases (as well as everyone else... except Ganon teching on a platform is beyond a free hit lol), but you need to be able to profit from grabs when platforms aren't around also.

I think FD is better for floaties, but i don't think it's horrible vs falco.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Woah holy **** tm at Evo and he made it out of pools? That's really impressive. Good **** to him. Looking forward to hopefully seeing him on stream.

Also, I've been messing around on my setup while evo is going on, and I found a neat way in which I can use my respawn invincibility. When you respawn, you have a whole 2 seconds of invincibility. This gives you plenty of time to Fast Fall from the respawn platform, double-jump into and perfect waveland towards your opponent, and then up-smash toward your opponent as well.

It can catch people off guard, up-smash is a giant obstacle to get by, hitting with the crotch hit-box sets up for an easy edgeguard, and you're fully invincible the entire time. I want to try and use this in some games.

Coastward

Smash Lord
bizzaro looks like he might have a hard time in his pool, i hope he makes it though.

brandondorf was going even with hungrybox for a bit but it looks like hes gonna get knocked into losers.

loki qualified as well, ganons looking strong so far.

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I think Bizzarro can make it through on winners. Glad to see Loki made it through :)

Hopefully Eikelmann can beat Darkrain, my Draft depends on him doing well

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
bizz made it through after beating cosmo and laudandus

so far all i know is that bizzaro, loki, tm and brandondorf have made it through. havent heard from eikelmann.

Last edited:

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
gl to bizarro, rep ganon for us hard in bracket bro

wait, tm and those dudes made it through too? Tm's 2nd pool looked rough on him, dang, how many advanced from that?

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Tournament Results Report: Rock em Sock em: Evo Edition

My first round match in singles was against an ice climbers player. The first game was on Dreamland and was very close, but I clutched it out with over 200% on me and being patient with my opponent. I believe he was at 50% or so when I was at like 170%. It was a bit intense but I kept my cool. Game two I ban FD and he CPs to FoD. I don't play so well on this stage and I get two stocked. This ICs players kept grabbing the ledge with Popo and using Nana to down-dsmash me a bunch. I then CPed to Yoshi's Story, and it was pretty back and forth with the stocks (him taking one and then me taking one). It wasn't until the last stock that I was able to bring back the percentage to even and I was putting the ICs in a bad position, but I messed up like 2 inputs or something and lost my positioning and last that game, putting me into the losers bracket.

First round in losers was against a Scrub Marth, so it was easy, no need to explain.

Second round in losers was against a local Falco player who I know isn't very good and 2-0ed him.

Third round in losers I had to play a pretty good spacies main that is arguably one of the better players in Charlotte. (Just wanna say here that I never lost RPS once today, so that was cool) We strike to Battlefield and he plays Falco on it. I was able to beat him with 1 stock, and I ban FD. He then counter-picks me to YS as Fox, and then I proceed to shut-him down with jabs and f-tilts, and catch him in fairs. I'm pretty sure I was also able to edgeguard him quite consistently. I ended up taking the game, and 2-0ing him for what people would consider to be an upset.

Fourth round of losers I play against the same ICs player that sent me into losers, but this time I know how to play against his ICs. And I solidly took the first game on Dreamland with 2 stocks. Then I once again banned FD and he CPed FoD, but this time I was able to take the match and win the set 2-0 in the runback. I was starting to figure out what this ICs player was doing when I was playing vs. him on Yoshi's from the first round. He would roll a lot, I would mess up a lot of my dairs or full hop them/mistime them, I didn't handle the climbers separately the first time, but the second time I did it much better, and I quickly figured out his gimmicky moves. It feels good to beat someone in the runback.

For Loser's Quarters, I played against a pretty good Peach/Sheik main who went all Sheik against me. We struck to BF and he 2-stocked me, but I kept calm about it and I didn't get totally whooped, I was starting to understand how his Sheik was working. Then second game I CP to Dreamland cause he banned Yoshi's and it was a very close game going down to the last stock. I feel like I was playing the matchup correctly for the most part, but unfortunately I SDed on one of my stocks when I tried to do a side-b mixup from a ledge-hop, and my finger slipped in the other direction on my control-stick, causing me to side-b off the ledge. That was the first time I ever SDed like that, and usually when I do that turn-around action, it is when I down-b, not side-b. Either way, I didn't SD on my last stock thankfully, and I was able to keep the game close. On the last stock, he ended up getting a string of dash-attacks on me into an up-air or fair or something, and then I realized I was off the edge without a double-jump, so that was the end of that game.

I feel like if it could have gone to a game 3, I might have been able to win that set. I'm really happy with how I played overall today and I believe I placed 7th, making Top 8 in like a 25+ man bracket. I should have the official results soon.

I feel like I could improve on using some mixups, even though they probably wouldn't be too necessary. I know that jabbing is really good cause it puts pressure on my opponent and makes them not want to approach me when I hit them a lot with it, and that's what happened with the spacies main that I beat, and I was starting to feel that when I was playing against the Sheik. Jab is pretty good guys. I think I should work on using the platforms a bit more, and being more consistent at the edge with my ledge-dashes and probably recovering. I think my DI still needs work and I could definitely get more grabs. I feel like I follow-up on grabs quite a lot, getting good reads pretty consistently, and I'm even hitting with dair a lot and finishing that off with a fair. I could probably learn to zone better. In some friendlies before the tournament, I was trying to use wavedash back to up-angled ftilt to catch them jumping in the air, but I don't this I used it enough. I also don't think I used WD OoS a lot either, but I did roll a lot out of pressure instead of trying to shield grab it or jump out of it like I would usually do.

I can feel my Ganon getting stronger. It's only a matter of time.

Top Bottom