• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Awesome man!! some really good combos, and 0-deaths/gimps... and the wavelands... so on point. You skating across poke stadium looked really familiar haha.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
jason I can't say too much. You have the basics down on falco really well. Just a few situations where you have techchased or edgeguarded better. Beast.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
34-250 for fox and 12-250 for falco. Go to "The Ultimate Ganon Topic" and find Magus' s chaingrab thread. I just had to check lol.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Now that, That is Ganondorf! is released... consider that a taste of Renth..
That isn't even my final form...

Renth secret project video in progress.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Damn, I didn't even realize it could still be done at that high of a percent. :o
Yeah no one really takes it that far lol, get them up to 140% and give them the purple boot.

Renth that is what I like to hear! "That is Ganondorf"... The trailer to "This is Renth"?? lol.

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to get more competitive as Ganon as of late, and I'm finding that I don't know what stages I want to pick/strike. What do you guys normally go with?

Renth

Smash Hero
I've been trying to get more competitive as Ganon as of late, and I'm finding that I don't know what stages I want to pick/strike. What do you guys normally go with?
Character specific my friend, Ganondorf generally has higher kill potential on smaller stages but larger stages highly increase your ability to survive. Depends on what you're against and what you need

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Is there a shine-grab equivalent that Ganon can do that allows him to get grabs more guaranteed on shield? Or is doing that pointless?

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Is there a shine-grab equivalent that Ganon can do that allows him to get grabs more guaranteed on shield? Or is doing that pointless?
Grabs are hard, if you hit someone with a jab you can often follow up with a grab or a dash attack but just like everything else in this game its situation.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration

*takes notes*
three thoughts about this @ spider_sense spider_sense

1. early on during the set there were a lot of rolls that could have been capitalised on and they would have given you a lot of momentum and some pretty swift kills. i was surprised you didn't pick up on it.

2. game 4 when you went for that suicide dair, i'm pretty sure you didn't have to die from that at all. but i think you know that.

3. i'm not sure who did the reset but there might have a been a chance that falco would have died before you since he was so close to the blast zone and because he falls faster. i would have waited it out.

that's all.

Renth

Smash Hero
TM I know you're lurking, You played great at the pittsburgh tournament you almost had sweet it was painfully close you handled him well. You had a sick run in doubles

tm

Smash Ace
SUP GUYS -incoming wall of text-

smashboards hasn't notified me for this thread in over a month (but it was for others), so I just thought this thread wasn't too active...

Just read like 10+ pages, reading and watching everything (except twitch links, won't load).
A lot of good stuff. I loving the activity here and it keeps me thinking about new ways to evolve my game. In passing, good **** @Bizzarro Flame beating Fly (also the double jump + aerial down B to counter getup attack was mad cute), and sick combo video @ Renth Renth .
Liking all the new presence here too. There have been more and more good ganon footage appearing on youtube and I think with the amount of activity there is now, it's a great opportunity to push the ganon meta.

As for me, my teammate and I just got 3rd in doubles at A New Hope, beating VaNz + Pat as well as the local heroes Nakamaru + The Lake, losing to MDVA players Boss + DP. I played poorly in singles bracket losing 2 sets right away (it still happens!), but I'm not too salty because I felt like I learned a lot, and based on the doubles I'm definitely improving.

One thing that bugs me is how consistently well I place in doubles in comparison to how consistently poorly I place in singles. I do well every once in a while, but there are players that seem to be on a much lower level that I still go even with or lose to. This tournament was one of those. Someday I'd like to present some of my doubles play and some of my singles play, and ask you guys what you think. (While my partner is a very good player, he doesn't completely carry me, and he does better with me as a teammate than with some other players who are better than me [So don't say that it's just my partner carrying me, which a lot of people probably believe]) There's no way that everyone else is just that much worse at doubles than singles... is there? On a side note, it sucks to always be the guy with no support [in singles]. I don't mean to accomplish anything by this ******** but it seriously bugs me when generic S-tier guy has friends cheering him on and giving advice while I've got nothing. If they can't beat a ganon without help, they probably deserve to lose :p but I'm morally against mid-set coaching anyway... *johns johns johns*... where's the ganon appreciation? Maybe it's time to really embrace the villainous. /rant

I'll post the vids when they are up.

Side note: as excessive as it sounds, I'd like to make a thread / discussion that is a complete guide to the chaingrab on sheik. It is obvious in my set against sweet that I wasn't proficient with it, despite it being one of the easier chaingrabs. This is due to both lack of knowledge and (more importantly) lack of experience on my end. I believed the sheik CG process to be something like this:
Away DI: JC grab 0-80 (ish)
Behind DI: Turnaround grab 0-40ish, Turnaround dash JC grab OR turnaround dash grab 40ish-80ish
Also (equally importantly): finishers. I know for no DI you can upsmash (maybe also dair) / bair, and for away DI you can fsmash (maybe fair), and for behind DI you can bair (maybe also fsmash). Take note that whether or not these truly combo will depend on the % that you finish the CG on.

Here's what I want to figure out: at what %s (before the throw) will each regrab connect at: full DI behind + away, partial DI behind + away, and no DI, TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the amount of time required for the average player (or maybe slightly slower than average) to visually recognize which option to use and react (about 12 frames?). Same thing for the finishers: which have the best killing potential off the top + each side (or edgeguard setup potential) for each DI, and at what %s (near the optimal ending %: keep in mind that some finishers may require her % to be BELOW the highest %s of the chaingrab to truly combo [while also taking into account the required time for reaction])
I would ALSO like to include at what % sheik can land on the platforms for every legal singles stage (accounting for at least upward DI)
It would be great if @Magus420 was still around, but he doesn't appear to be, and I don't have the necessary tools or knowledge to extract this information (if any of you know exactly how to do so, but have no interest in doing such, please share your knowledge with me). Some of you might think that this is excessive, the wrong thing to focus on to find success, or not worth the trouble, but I think that writing the book and doing it right will give the average ganon player a powerful reference to improving their punish game in a very hard matchup. As a complement we could add a list of grab setups / most likely or successful methods of getting grabs on sheik.

So with that out of the way, it's good to be back and I'll be sure to check this thread (& contribute) regularly, regardless of smashboards lack of notifications. Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm in it for the long haul, and all of you guys have helped me in some way or another.
Pseudo, great set with Oro, but seriously you should have had it. I was really impressed with how many times you caught him off guard. I felt like your conversion from neutral game was very strong. Unfortunately you had a few *facepalm* moments (like that fthrow at the end of game 1). A couple of edgeguards were really derpy and your combo DI was sometimes really bad. If you just drill a few aspects of your game really hard, you will seriously be so good.
Ace, of all the advice I read on here, I find yours to be the most helpful. I really understand the way you explain things or situations, your terminology is effective, and your points are directed and intent. I find it a treat when you write a lot, because I always find something you say helpful, even if I already knew it. So keep doing that **** lol
And renth, sick video (and other friendly sets). I'm still surprised by something every time I see another one of your sets, and thus, you are always giving me new ideas. You are really innovative and I honestly think that if you decide that it's important to you to become great, and you worked hard and tried your best, you could truly succeed and become the next really BIG ganon. Take that as you will, as it's just one novice's opinion.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yo chaingrab level 1 sheik they always DI full behind. If you can chaingrab a level 1 sheik you can cg a human sheik (I wouldn't say this about hardly any characters - sheik is very easy once you actually start practicing chaingrabbing).

In all chaingrabbing. Just stare at Ganon. Be one with that ****ing dthrow animation. While staring at Ganon, use your peripherals to monitor your opponent's di. Just keep watching Ganon so you know exactly when the dthrow ends. This is the biggest issue (people *** this up).... the dthrow is lagged proportionally to the character's weight you are throwing so muscle memory doesnt cut it.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
You see good doubles placings over singles because a handful of the reasons ganondorf struggles aren't as apparent. Ganondorf, once off stage usually dead. If you have a team mate interrupt the edge guarder Ganondorf literally lives until 200% every damn stock. Ganondorf as more opportunities to get hits in doubles, you don't have to wait/bait/date/ejaculate combo like you have to in singles. You can just spam your f air and b air all day with little fear of being heavily punished for it, just go be that BRAWLER lollolz you always wanted to be. ^_^

Singles is a monster that requires a lot of mental awareness, the entire time you play take notes on their movements, their tech patterns and the most important often over looked is.. Watch how they react, if you come in with a f air pay attention to how they act with it.. Did they shield it every time? Did they try to challenge it? did they wave dash back? Now my friend this is how you can bait people in to their shields or into the air to take advantage of their reactions. Doubles doesn't require quite that much insane amount of attention it's all YAHHHH GANONDORF SMAAASHHH

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Dude, I remember doing that areal down b to counter get up attack over a year ago vs. @Sveet (back when I sucked). Shenanigans, bizzaro. Granted, I did it as a joke and have never attempted it again because I thought it didn't have any actual potential. Clearly, I was mistaken.

Shoutouts to ACE's advice, best on the boards since I started playing. And shoutouts to Dorsey for being a troll. lol

Renth

Smash Hero
http://www.twitch.tv/pghneohsmash/b/531783862

@ 3:46:00 TM vs. Smash Famous Sweet

Starters : I wish you guys did traditional stage striking so I could have seen what you guys were aiming for but whatever works. Battlefield is Ganondorfs over
all best stage choice it's easy to keep sheik close or far away, its easy stage to control ect.

3:46:19 YES!! All of the yes and more yes. Get that every opportunity you can take it!

3:46:30 Chain Grabbing | Throwing quickly makes it harder for them to get the DI. However, Ganondorf can confidently chain grab sheik without having to predict the DI, it's very easy to react to. Try to get at least 1-2 pummels in between grabs for the most efficient damage output. ALSO, Around 80-100ish? on this stage. Down throw ~> F smash out of chain grabs is a great finisher.
(yes it combos)
If you never did that before ^ Try it, thank me later.

3:46:58 I love hitting with the head of my down air especially at lower percentages can lead to some really funny kills, However a f air or b air would have played more into your hands for a better edge guarding follow up as the d air sent him too high.

3:47:11 Something to always keep in your mind at all times characters like Ganondorf, Sheik, Falcon, Marth ect. That have land lag in that type of animation have ONE FULL SECOND of lag before they can do anything again. Try to use this to your fullest advantage, often trying to grab is the worst option. Sheik does a small dip/crouch animation that goes UNDER ganondorfs Grab, jab and down smash.

3:49:40 A lot of people try to bait ganondorf to shield grab I feel like he got a lot of spot dodges, try to start picking up on that so whenever you're shield just jump out and d air them or something.. It'll catch them by surprise where you other wise your grab would have just been dodged.

3:50:12 Don't try to fight him out of your shield up close, Sheik controls the match up close range. This may sound nooby but i swear to you just roll away, ganondorf has one of the best rolls in the game. If he's in your face and you are pressure wave dash back out of shield and roll backwards once or twice. Reset the neutral position sheiks approach game is awful take advantage of it!
(Example: My money match with Hungrybox, I rolled many manytimes to reset neutral position)

3:50:17 definitely something I love to do, you were just too deep for it.

3:50:42 again, that d air. You have one full second to take advantage! You can definitely get him off stage or hit him with something you can follow up with better.

3:51:00 Most cases don't bother going down there Ganondorfs options are far too limited.

3:51:34 AWESOME down air ~> grab conversion polish those chain grabs into death combos and you will be one of the best!

3:52:11 Those little things are what make players great! You turn and got the tilt off of the back air. The reason that is so good is if he were try to counter attack off the b air the tilt shuts him down, resets the positions and gives you free bonus damage off the pseudo combo!

3:53:23 I love that falling up air through platforms one of my favorite things.

3:53:56 Not a bad choice, for the same reason spacies take people here. There's a lot of room and shiek sucks at approaching no issues with going back to stadium. You also had the match so it was in your head likely that if you had another shot at it you'd get it.

3:54:33 Try to get into the habit of Holding L/R whenever you are recovering like that even from small distances those are the kind of techs people go OMMMGG!! over but really they aren't that difficult.

3:56:25 excellent jab ~> grab. For the third time now ^_^ If you maximize those conversions into death combos again down throw does combo into f smash for easy kill at mid-high percentages. You will become a monster at the match up Smash is all about wait, bait and maximizing punishes.

3:56:50 Once again, that stomp you cannot follow off of it. You have one full second to punish into things you can convert off of.

I felt you played it well, very well I might add. A few polished techniques and you'll be a menace! Try to use more down tilts in the neutral game I've been saying it for a long time now. It makes it hard for her to close in to you and if it hits you can get a following hit and sometimes a grab off of it.

Keep up the good work you are no doubt the #1 most improved ganondorf on the rise.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Awesome man. Situational advice and specifics are what I find to really help me improve, and that's exactly what you gave me. As before, twitch is giving me trouble viewing broadcasts so I'm gonna download the vid and follow that, with responses. Thanks a lot man

EDIT: here's how we struck:
him - FD
me - fountain, Dreamland
him - yoshis

I speculated that he might not have known the chaingrab (due to the FD ban), and therefore maybe I should go to dreamland, but I also knew I wasn't too good at it, and BF is my most comfortable stage. For the CP, I usually pick poke against sheik; it wasn't actually a salty runback. Looking back I think I should have changed simply because he was comfortable enough there that it was his counterpick. A lot of times people will get discouraged simply because they have to play on a stage they don't like. Also I wasn't really paying attention to what aspects of battlefield helped me win / aspects of poke helped him. That was a mistake on my part. He banned yoshis, which is my go-to, and I already won on battlefield. I think any counterpick on my part could have been justified.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Awesome man. Situational advice and specifics are what I find to really help me improve, and that's exactly what you gave me. As before, twitch is giving me trouble viewing broadcasts so I'm gonna download the vid and follow that, with responses. Thanks a lot man
Your potential is off the charts, glad to help.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I appreciate the shoutouts guys. I've always tried to help Ganon players do better in tournament. It's good to know people are listening.

Renth

Smash Hero
what's the best way for me to study videos? i watch a lot of videos but i feel like i dont learn too much out of them.
Try to figure out, why they did what option they did when they did it.

Why were they there?

why did they approach there?

Why did he get shield grabbed that time vs. other times?

ect. Little things

Top Bottom