• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Coastward

Smash Lord
actually it's just as hard to do it with ganon as it is with cf or any other character. you have to be frame perfect no matter what. i'm going to practice it in slow motion first i think.

as for shield drops, i believe they're super helpful. i'm gonna get that **** down next.
i think its much easier with falcon. but i figured out what i was doing wrong, i wasnt angling my air dodge the right way lmao. you gotta be more precise with ganon because of how ****ty his double jump is.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i think its much easier with falcon. but i figured out what i was doing wrong, i wasnt angling my air dodge the right way lmao. you gotta be more precise with ganon because of how ****ty his double jump is.
The main difference between ganon and falcon's hax dash is what happens if you mess up. They're both the same number of frames, but if you mess up with ganon you'll SD because of his low jump and with falcon you'll often just fail the waveland but you'll be on stage.

Coastward

Smash Lord
My videos are up!

Singles:
vs Vaccine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8YEIPqSuo
vs Shady
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WOCgLlEgE

Doubles:
vs Shady + SonuvaBeach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImGXXtkq7no
vs Vaccine + Duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0br7AyYUXFk

As always, constructive criticism appreciated.
that first match against vaccine was brutal, **** sheik. the first thing that i noticed was that you stayed on the ground too much. he was all over you and your safest option would've been to opt for the platforms. even if he attempted to hit your shield there, you would be more safe on a platform than the ground because you are able to use the new secret hidden technique called shield dropping. try to remember that for next time, give yourself some breathing room before thinking about how you're going to approach. for the most part, i think you could've played better. you kept your play simple with easy edgeguards and using the right moves at the right times. but you kept shield grabbing which costed you A TON, and randomly rolling. you were also throwing out random **** like fsmash and usmash, but those might've been nervous flubs or something(hopefully). near the end, i think you sort of started to understand what you needed to do, but man this guy looks pretty solid. the second match you were definitely spacing better, and you were correcting your mistakes from the first match but there's not much i can really tell you, he was really just outplaying you. sheiks are really ****ing stupid. you really just needed to space yourself out more. i think the threat of sheik got to you and messed up your play, just have to keep calm and remember fundamentals and stuff like that.

ok this other match was a bit better. your techchasing and edgeguarding against fox was pretty good, you got the right reads that you needed and punished accordingly. the first and second stock were really well done, fast movement and decision making. i mostly think your weakpoint is the neutral game. you go for grabs when in bad situations and you keep getting punished for them. you also go for really awkward moves like sideb or jabs instead of ftilts. work on spacing with the right moves and start using WDOOS more instead of those super short grabs. your recovery can use some work too. you don't ALWAYS have to go for down b, sometimes it's safer to recover higher than lower, especially against fox and marth. for the marth match, it was the same deal with sheik. you needed to space more since he was being SUPER aggressive. you were throwing out moves that were leaving you open for free combos, you gotta watch out for that.

overall, you have really good movement and a solid punish game. you need to work more on spacing yourself out more so that you don't corner yourself and get #rekt, and you need to improve your neutral game. don't sit in shield so much because you leave yourself open, and if you do decide to shield, don;t always opt to go for grabs because it'll bite you in the ass. your good movement is your advantage so use that to play defensively and catch opportunities for punishment.

Coastward

Smash Lord
finally got some friendlies on stream. i was playing with some homies and we were mainly just messing around, but you can kinda see my playstyle.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/515366170?t=8h46m12s

feel free to give me advice regardless of the lack of seriousness in these games on both my part and the players i was fighting.
ok real talk, you and tm should watch each other play because both of you can learn from each other's playstyles. purple killer, you have a SOLID neutral game. you were beating that falco to death half of the time, but you were lacking the edgeguards. keep it simple with ftitls and jabs if they approach from above, no need for extra work. you can even just grab ledge instead of letting them come back for free. even against the kirby you were doing pretty well lmao. but honestly, watch tm's videos and vice versa. then talk with each other and explain what was going through your head and why you did what you did. if you two combined, you'd be like the megazord of ganondorf.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
@ Coastward Coastward what do you mean hax dash? Wavelands? Because i can do that and small moonwalks with ganon. I might surprise you eithhow technical my ganon is. I have to work on my matchups still though

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
My videos are up!

Singles:
vs Vaccine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8YEIPqSuo
vs Shady
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WOCgLlEgE

Doubles:
vs Shady + SonuvaBeach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImGXXtkq7no
vs Vaccine + Duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0br7AyYUXFk

As always, constructive criticism appreciated.
I can help you with the sheik matchup at least. I have it down pretty well now, and most sheik's I fight are surprised.

Vaccine

You have some good ledge work for sure and catch him approaching with that stuff a number of times. And you obviously have a great sense of spacing with ganon. But your biggest problem with the matchup is that you're approaching from the air way too much. I try to avoid jumping as too much against sheik's because they just straight up take you out in the air. And as you saw in this set, if you land with an l-cancel, they can just dash attack or something straight after to punish. Fadeaways fairs are acceptable, but avoid approaching with it. If you must, use bair more often. As for approaching in general vs sheik, go for a more solid ground game and use crouch canceling more. I also noticed you messed up the edgeguard. What you're gonna want to do is grab the ledge as soon as sheik is offstage. If she's so far out that you can hit her but she can't up-b without killing herself, go for the reverse uair. But most of the time, what you do is wait for her to up-b and standup right when the hitbox would've hit you had you been onstage the whole time. This way, if she actually goes for the ledge, you will have covered that option, as the game thinks you're still grabbing the ledge after standing up for a few frames. And if she goes for the stage, you're right there in plenty of time to knock her back off. You could've had the kill several times very easily had you done this. I think if you just switched up your playstyle in general, you could've done some serious damage against that sheik. He didn't look that great to me.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
@ Coastward Coastward what do you mean hax dash? Wavelands? Because i can do that and small moonwalks with ganon. I might surprise you eithhow technical my ganon is. I have to work on my matchups still though
hax dash is when you're on the ledge, and you do a jump and waveland back off the stage to the ledge again. you see a lot of falcons do it, sometimes spacies too.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Shady Fox

You could've won. So close. Basically, your biggest problems in my opinion were missing techs. He punished you hard a number of times for that. Just work on never missing them in combos. You also gotta stop doing the same thing from the ledge every time. Ledgehop wavedash is great, but you can beat it out if you know it's coming, and that seemed to happen a lot. Sometimes simply ledge hoping a jab, rolling or jumping are better options. Just try to mix it up more.

Shady Marth

So against marth, once you have him in the air, NEVER let him down. He just can't beat out well placed uairs. And you can easily get up on platforms for tech chases more often after you've started to combo. On the defensive side, crouch cancel marths more often, just like against sheik. Marths always fall for that until the higher levels. Oh and grab more. You didn't grab much that game at all. And the final thing I noticed was that when you were recovering, you could've stopped his edgeguards several times with a rising uair. It works super well, but be careful because sometimes opponents can bait it and punish with a kill.

And I don't know enough about doubles to help you there so I'll let others comment on that.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
ok real talk, you and tm should watch each other play because both of you can learn from each other's playstyles. purple killer, you have a SOLID neutral game. you were beating that falco to death half of the time, but you were lacking the edgeguards. keep it simple with ftitls and jabs if they approach from above, no need for extra work. you can even just grab ledge instead of letting them come back for free. even against the kirby you were doing pretty well lmao. but honestly, watch tm's videos and vice versa. then talk with each other and explain what was going through your head and why you did what you did. if you two combined, you'd be like the megazord of ganondorf.
lol I just realized that his weaknesses are like my strengths and vice versa. My edgeguarding isn't nearly that bad though, but it's definitely weaker than my neutral game.

Coastward

Smash Lord
im telling you man every ganon needs to get on the shield drop technology. MECHA-GANONDORF FROM THE FUTURE.

lol I just realized that his weaknesses are like my strengths and vice versa. My edgeguarding isn't nearly that bad though, but it's definitely weaker than my neutral game.
yeah no doubt. if you guys ever meet up you know what to do.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Now that I'm actually traveling, it looks like the regions I'm most likely going to go to next are either Quebec or PA. So hopefully I'll meet some of you guys there.

Renth

Smash Hero
Accepting all Ganon Ditto MM's at CEO

Eikel-mann and I will also ganon ditto team any other ganon ditto team.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
"Hax dashing" or the RLD is like anything else... Just practice it every once in a while and it becomes second nature. I SD with it just as much as the regular waveland on stage, but its pretty useful for catching your opponent off guard and all that. Practice on temple where if you mess up, you don't die.

Tm I'm gonna watch those videos when I'm at my computer. Good ****!

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Shield drop is a term for shielding out of l cancelling? Or what is it? I know powershielding which is good stuff to know

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Shield drop is a term for shielding out of l cancelling? Or what is it? I know powershielding which is good stuff to know
Shield dropping involves dropping through a platform from in your shield. You can also use it to just drop through a platform quicker in general. It's best use is to use it with an aerial such as a uair. So if someone is attack your shield on a platform, you could conceivably drop through the platform and hit them with an appropriate aerial immediately.

tm

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips guys :) Wanted, I'll check out your play soon, twitch wasn't loading for me before.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips guys :) Wanted, I'll check out your play soon, twitch wasn't loading for me before.
call me pk or purple killer. wanted is just the username i registered here with that i can never change unless i become a premium member

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
why are people using RLD? i like runoffs much better, as the rising bair tends to be a more useful (read: faster) hitbox than the fair. also if you mess it up or get hit out of it, it seems like you're more likely to use your jump later in the motion, therefore keeping your second jump.

tm

Smash Ace
Reverse ledge dash. Wavelanding onstage from ledge, except away from stage.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Also known as all this haxdashing stuff. Meh.

I think ill be returning to ganon. The current landscape of ganons is both depressing and encouraging at the same time.

Top Bottom