• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
Pawl, I'll be at evo. I like your ganon, and really wanna play you now that I know you'll be at evo! Hope to see you there.
My Ganon has gotten a lot better lately, so be ready! I still feel like I suck at the ditto (of all sorts), however :/
As much as I hate to give up on raw willpower to improve, apparently, I have essential tremor (affects my hands, tongue, and laryngeal muscles). So I got that fixed this week, and stready hands = consistent gameplay.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I played about 2 hours of friendlies with a Jiggs main.. never again. Even if the matchup isn't that bad, you still have to play even more patiently than vs Peach.. Its the most boring matchup ever to play against. I don't mind in tournament but just casuals ewwww...

Superspright

Smash Lord
Gotta be more patient Kage. Gotta love to be patient. That's your character. I have the exact same problem though. I am way too eager to get things moving, and most good players would rather wait and bait for 8 minutes.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
My Ganon has gotten a lot better lately, so be ready! I still feel like I suck at the ditto (of all sorts), however :/
As much as I hate to give up on raw willpower to improve, apparently, I have essential tremor (affects my hands, tongue, and laryngeal muscles). So I got that fixed this week, and stready hands = consistent gameplay.
You got tremors fixed? How?

I played about 2 hours of friendlies with a Jiggs main.. never again. Even if the matchup isn't that bad, you still have to play even more patiently than vs Peach.. Its the most boring matchup ever to play against. I don't mind in tournament but just casuals ewwww...
I used to play full nights of Zelda v Jiggs. I swear it's worse than Jiggs dittos.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Gotta be more patient Kage. Gotta love to be patient. That's your character. I have the exact same problem though. I am way too eager to get things moving, and most good players would rather wait and bait for 8 minutes.
The matchup is simple enough to not need to be patient in goddamn friendlies. You are suppose to experiment not be lame as **** when you play, how can you have fun like that? Zoning all day isn't fun, you dont learn much.

It's definitely not all about patience, well the way I do it at least is locking the character in with limited options. Sometimes I impress myself with my own mixups because i cant really read that far ahead. =P

Renth

Smash Hero
I enjoy ganon vs. jiggs a lot i beat... what was his name..
at the big house
urhgjfdks..

he's a canadian jiggs player anyway, i beat his jiggs 2-3 stock then barely beat his falco.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
When played at a high level, jiggs ganon is entirely about very careful spacing and stage control. A typical match can take 6 minutes on dreamland. If you let jiggs in, you can lose a stock pretty quick. Don't get hit. I like the matchup, but it can get boring after continuous play.

Superspright

Smash Lord
You might be playing the wrong game if you find any match up boring. I admit I get frustrated against campy, circle jerk styles but I enjoy playing against it regardless.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
You might be playing the wrong game if you find any match up boring. I admit I get frustrated against campy, circle jerk styles but I enjoy playing against it regardless.
sorry but bowser vs jiggs is boring no matter how you look at it.

how many ganondorfs will be at EVO? Pawl, Bizz, Pseudo, and myself? Is that all?

Superspright

Smash Lord
I look at it cross-eyed sometimes. It looks pretty fun still. Maybe that matchup sucks, but it's not boring. The best players in this game find every part of this game enjoyable i.e. they love it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
How do you know that? Have you talked with them personally?

There's also the fact that playing a top tier vs another top tier is obviously a lot more enjoyable since you dont have to worry about having a bad matchup or anything like that. The layer of mindgames is crazy because of the number of viable tools they have.

I also played Fox vs Jiggs and I was like lolol, I can do sooooo much.

ThatJokerGuy

Smash Rookie
Hey Linguini, i have a few questions for you, i hope you could help me answering them.

1.- i have problems fighting Samus, i find her unpredictable(i dont know what she's gonna do), cand you roll me some tips to fight her more easily

2.- if you can help me with Falco too, i need tips to fighting vs that fking bird, many of my friends use him.

3.- With advanced techniques (like Wavedash, L-Cancel) can you find usefull to Ganondorf's playing? i just know that 2
thanks

Linguini

Smash Master
Hey Linguini, i have a few questions for you, i hope you could help me answering them.

1.- i have problems fighting Samus, i find her unpredictable(i dont know what she's gonna do), cand you roll me some tips to fight her more easily

2.- if you can help me with Falco too, i need tips to fighting vs that fking bird, many of my friends use him.

3.- With advanced techniques (like Wavedash, L-Cancel) can you find usefull to Ganondorf's playing? i just know that 2
thanks

Samus is tricky, and a good samus can be annoying as **** if you don't know what to do. It's a war of attrition. Keep your distance and don't commit to anything too risky as samus can get you off the edge quick leading to a gimp. Samus wants to wait for you to throw out an aerial and punish accordingly, so spacing with bairs is essential.

Falco you got to have a good upair game, especially out of shield when facing falco. Techases destroy the spacies, edgeguards shoud be free with jab covering the stage and angled down ftiltf/dtilt/uair covering the edge.

Wavelanding is a must with ganon as it increases his speed. Off the edge is a bit tough at first but it's one of the best in the game and is key to making ganon faster.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo, linguini how do you get grabs so frequently against the space animals, like mainly **** like shield grabbing fox. For me, getting a grab off is a huge ordeal unless I can sneak in a lucky jab and just grab after that.

I also jv 5'd somebody last night. Feels good man :smash:

Superspright

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Linguini positions himself properly before the aerial approach so the shield push will put him within range for the shieldgrab. It's an extremely nuanced technique--and most people are unaware of how he does it, but it clearly is a practiced thing. You have to know how far you are going to get pushed so you don't get shined by fox or falco--falco's shine is much smaller, so it is easier to achieve.

Grabs also have higher priority than anything in the game. If you can throw out the grab as a fox is approaching with nair or fades back a bair you will snag his feet. It's very hard to do though, and the risk is very high, but the reward is enormous too.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Okay so I've been practicing a bit with Ganon and I feel like I need to work more on my Advanced Techniques and Tech Skill.

I find that L-canceling Ganon's aerials (especially his dair) allows for me to pull out other moves more more quickly and therefore keep my momentum going, but I blank on what I should follow up with. Would you be good moves to follow up with after L-canceling Ganon's aerials?

Also, I know that wavelanding and ledge-canceling are really good for Ganon as well, but I don't know how to apply those techniques while in actual matches.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Tomber is the best IC in the Netherlands. I was up, but then he wobbled me all four stocks. Gay. And then I lost to a falco (surprise surprise) who ended up beating scar. In the end, I was dissatisfied with my performance, but the two people who did beat me were the two to make it out of my pool, so I guess there's no shame in losing to the two best.

DarkMagicX2

The Worst Ganondorf Ever
NNID
DarkMagicX2
3DS FC
5386-7375-0560
I didn't get to see all of the stream, how well did the Ganons do? The only one I did see was Bizarro ruin a Shiek day 1.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Lol yep, he's pretty sick at it. The top Falcons don't joke around with the Ganon matchup. I honestly think Darkrain is the hardest to beat with Ganon.

Also, it's much more fun to play the Jiggs matchup with killer instinct, I can see so many different setups I can catch her in. Auto-pilot mode just doesn't work or is too boring.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I doubt Darkrain is quite as good as he was last time you played him kage. Joe if you ever are at a national again, tell PP to play falcon against your Ganon. His spacing is just.... GAWWWWWWWD DAYUM.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yea kage, I can tell, for sure. But SS specifically dude. I played s2j and kept even with him for a couple games, but then got a little messed up on others- it was all dependent on my DI. But vs Jeff, he knew I was picking up on his patterns before i even did anything lol like for example, I noticed he double jump kneed to space around my uair, so I figured I would full hop fair next time, but NOPE ****ING PATIENT DASH DANCING TO UAIR TO DEATH (again, depending on my DI). Next time tho, Dave, I'll ask pp to give me a couple games with him. Maybe if he's in the NC area when I am!

Yea kage I kinda like the jiggs matchup. I played Mr. F, who is pretty good vs ganon and he won the majority of our matches, but I sneaked in a few wins and the matches were pretty tight after I adapted well. I like baiting out an up tilt and either stomping or cc grab to fair. BOOM!

Meccs

@Meccs_
Is d-tilt a viable move? I love it and use it as a combo starter all the time, but then again I never play with tourney-caliber players. I feel like it has too much startup to be useful in a real competitive match... how useful is it?

Top Bottom