• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Renth

Smash Hero
there's a very good chance I will attend Evo.

edit:

I also play SSIV AE

(only for a month or two, still a beginner but I know the techs)

Renth

Smash Hero
I can't afford EVO but I also like me some SSFIV:AE 2012. :) As my avatar obviously suggests, I go Bison all the way with some other Bison (Balrog) on the side. :p

What do all of these numbers mean? :confused:
You have a picture of Bison in your profile picture and you don't understand how the online ranking system works for street fighter..?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I don't play SF online. I don't even own the game. I just play it whenever fellow smashers bring it to fests or down at the anime/video game club of my university. I'm fairly good at the game (and UMvC3 and SG and a bunch of other non-Smash fighters) but only because I've had a couple years to play them from people being generous enough to let others try them out and practice on them. I could really care less about playing online, especially since I've heard horrible stories.

#WhyAreYouWastingYourTime?:smash:

Edit: And in response to that pic, I must share that I just recently discovered this wonderful gem. I know I'm late, but I just had to share. :estatic:

Renth

Smash Hero
do horrible stories include your friends getting wrecked, cried and then refused to learn?

How to get better at games:

Get *****, learn, figure out what you're doing wrong and fix what you're doing.

Playing online people playing "gay" Welcome to competitive gaming, everybody gay.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
No, their stories involve people getting pissed at lag because it messes with execution and makes certain things like "FOOT DAIVE!!!" and wake-up "SHORYUKEN!" top tier. We all know we're scrubs, but we'd rather go get beat up by Chris G or LI Joe (both in our region) personally and learn from that then be salty 'cause of something that's unavoidable and then hinder our own learning experience. My friend (John12346) has one of the highest rankings in UMvC3 online, I believe, but he's a scrub when it comes to offline. I'm not saying this applies to all people, because it most probably doesn't, but it's just an example I have close to home.

Tl;dr - To each their own. I'm simply defending why, when it comes to knowing much about Wifi, "I don't know who you are, nor do I care" (as Bison would put it :p).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wake up shoryuken lol, the xbox live. When I get hit by that, i feel like such a noob. The feeling is a little similar to when you go for a techchase but then you barely get hit by a rising attack.

Renth

Smash Hero
Iori was at Apex?

I wanted to play that guy, I had no idea he was there, it's okay I heard Bum was there too, didn't see him at all either.

stupid hundreds of people

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
How integral is pivoting for Ganon's game?

I've been practicing pivoting mainly to help with tech chasing and stopping SHFFL approaches with pivoted upward Ftilts, but other than that I don't see many convenient uses for pivot jabs or pivot Fsmash (but I do see why pivot JC grab is nice...obviously, but that is a lot easier to get down compared to the former two).

Basically, is it worth practicing pivot jabs and Fsmashes, even if they are for really specific situations?

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
How integral is pivoting for Ganon's game?

I've been practicing pivoting mainly to help with tech chasing and stopping SHFFL approaches with pivoted upward Ftilts, but other than that I don't see many convenient uses for pivot jabs or pivot Fsmash (but I do see why pivot JC grab is nice...obviously, but that is a lot easier to get down compared to the former two).

Basically, is it worth practicing pivot jabs and Fsmashes, even if they are for really specific situations?

They are very good in the cases where your opponent will think he's safe by for example staying out of your Bair range but then as soon as they approach, you can quickly pivot jab/ftilt to stuff it since Bair will be too slow to use as a counter-attack. So ya, in general, pivots are used as a trap to defend yourself quickly and on reaction too if you can with enough experience. And also it's a quick way to face your opponent if you really need to.

Pivot fsmash is a risky one, you have to be 100% confident in your read if you want to use that and the uses for this is to punish falling down aerials. Like Ganon's Fair, Peach's Fair... (Generally laggy aerials) That attack is to use an angle where you'd normally not be able to punish those Fairs like if they try to maneuver around your upair let's say.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
They are very good in the cases where your opponent will think he's safe by for example staying out of your Bair range but then as soon as they approach, you can quickly pivot jab/ftilt to stuff it since Bair will be too slow to use as a counter-attack. So ya, in general, pivots are used as a trap to defend yourself quickly and on reaction too if you can with enough experience. And also it's a quick way to face your opponent if you really need to.

Pivot fsmash is a risky one, you have to be 100% confident in your read if you want to use that and the uses for this is to punish falling down aerials. Like Ganon's Fair, Peach's Fair... (Generally laggy aerials) That attack is to use an angle where you'd normally not be able to punish those Fairs like if they try to maneuver around your upair let's say.
Ah, thank you, my fellow Canadian :p.

I heard that pivot Fsmash lowers your hitbox substantially, and by pivoting into it you can dodge a lof of quick attacks; is this true?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ah, thank you, my fellow Canadian :p.

I heard that pivot Fsmash lowers your hitbox substantially, and by pivoting into it you can dodge a lof of quick attacks; is this true?
Lowers your hitbox? It pulls you back for a brief moment because that's what the animation of the attack does. That is how you make aerials miss sometimes, even grabs too.. but I'd use down-b or side-B to avoid grabs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7B48ZRlirw4#t=560s

Again.. you have to be 100% confident in your read and reactions for it to work. Best thing is when your opponent goes for a grab and then down-B reverses no DI for your opponent. lol.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
Lowers your hitbox? It pulls you back for a brief moment because that's what the animation of the attack does. That is how you make aerials miss sometimes, even grabs too.. but I'd use down-b or side-B to avoid grabs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7B48ZRlirw4#t=560s

Again.. you have to be 100% confident in your read and reactions for it to work. Best thing is when your opponent goes for a grab and then down-B reverses no DI for your opponent. lol.
Yea that's what I meant, I just worded it incorrectly.

Also, do you have any tips for mixing up Ganon's recovery? I feel like it'll bite me later against better players if I don't learn now.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Uh, upB sorta high as if you're going to land on-stage and then pull back to grab the ledge. I'm not sure if Ganon's upB has the mobility of Falcon's, but I think he can ledge-cancel his upB as well, so you could do that to get around the ledgehog but avoid the on-stage punishment.

I'm pretty sure learning how to tech is also a necessity with this character. You, like, double your survival rate. :awesome:

Lolz, that stomp at the end. :laugh: Nice comeback!

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Going ganon at times may have caused me a few placings but whatever. What can I say, I enjoy punching and stomping *****es.

got about 13th? with ganon, fox, sheik, ness, ICs, and luigi.

as for doubles, after pp/bl@ckchr!s's BYE in w1, they played me/lozr in W2.........

lol

shout-outs to ganon dittos with raph

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Even not out of shield is great tho. When someone is shielding above you on a platform, just up b that ****. I would honestly give it an 85% success rate, even when your opponent is conditioned to it. As long as you mix in uairs every now and then, its almost always guaranteed.

Top Bottom