• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I just sat through a 15 second commercial to watch a 7 second video clip. :cstick6:

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I couldn't watch them because they gave me 30 second advertisements before every clip. I'll just trust that they are entertaining.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Pretty depressed sveet had to tell you guys that tbh lol

Tide! I'm so glad that you're such a fan of mine, haha. Seriously, makes me infinitely happy that someone supports me like you do. It certainly makes being a Ganondorf main a more enjoyable experience as well. I'd love to have you come to Orlando and attend an Advent monthly! I could provide housing, as well as a tour of the city. :)

I'd love to attend an SMYM. It'd fill me with the same feeling I felt while attending an FC tournament. Does AoB seriously still host that series? Also, what are the chances that I could play Eddie if I came? I know he's the oldest smasher, but is there any chance that he'd attend?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Ian, that would be mad cool if you would be able to come down. Yea, I believe AoB still hosts the SMYM tournaments, but I doubt he still competes (I'm very, very, very new to the smash scene, so I don't really know much about anything at the moment haha).

Unfortunately, I doubt Eddie is going to show up. Although imagine if he did... Gah, don't wanna think about such a great thing only to be let down.

Anyway, if you're serious about showing up, I would have no problem housing you, although it would be in a dorm room, so I'm not sure if you'd be into that. Maybe I can ask my buddy who lives in an apartment?

For any other questions, ask in this thread (bertbusdriver is one of the main people responsible this year)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14102726&posted=1#post14102726

For details about SMYM, check this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317154

Hope to see you there!

Эикельманн [РУС]

dude, if i only told you of the places i've slept during housing before, haha. on time after FC diamond in 07, because i had missed my flight and had to find last minute ride to florida, i had to cram myself with a motel room of 15+ southern smashers, and the only place left to sleep was in this dirty motel bathroom, on the cold tile floor. sleeping on soft carpet is no problem bahahaha

i will certainly consider it. really surprised that aob still hosting tournaments lol, dude is so old. would love to attend =]

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Hahaha sweet dude, that sounds awesome.

Like I said, if you have any questions, definitely ask in one of the above threads (preferably the first one, we're usually pretty good about checking it) because I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable one to talk to haha.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
We did like one random match, and I fooled around, and ya got me. It sounds crazy, but I remember ganon dittos XD

Cheap was there, if that helps haha

Эикельманн [РУС]

Critique, please! Critique needed! Please watch!

Okay, guys. I'm going to do my best to get every possible bit of advice I can get out of these six matches I got recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UvGxLZmjY

No matter who you are, how good you are, I want you to please do me a HUGE favour and watch these six matches and give me every bit of advice your brain can fathom.

Ace, BlackChris, G.Vice, Paul or Clueless, BizarroFlame, Kage, Renth, Chaddd, Linguini, RaphaelRobo, Tide, Geenareeno, SwizzyUK, all of you!

Please watch my matches. I will be eternally grateful for your help. Again, it doesn't matter who you are. Just watch them and tell me what you see or think.

In order to not clutter the thread with critique for just this video, feel free to PM me your comments and critique instead. Or just PM me it if that's your preferred method.

Thank you.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. already I see you jump way too much when Falcon is near you, you have to stay grounded to avoid getting punished. If he nairs you like I said before, CC or SDI both hits if you have to, to stop combos. Fair into Jab vs Falcon does not work, it's a typical pattern that will get you hit if it gets shielded. Overall, you really need to work on your defenses, your combo DI needs a lot of work.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The vid is pretty hard to watch, there's so many speed ups and slow downs..
That's really weird, I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen next time.

I'll watch the video after I finish my schoolwork and see if there's any advice I can give.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Well.. already I see you jump way too much when Falcon is near you, you have to stay grounded to avoid getting punished. If he nairs you like I said before, CC or SDI both hits if you have to, to stop combos. Fair into Jab vs Falcon does not work, it's a typical pattern that will get you hit if it gets shielded. Overall, you really need to work on your defenses, your combo DI needs a lot of work.
So what can I do to improve my DI? How do I practice that?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Generally you have to consider what % you are at and what moves he will or can throw. For example, if you are at 50-60% it's usually always good to DI down and away because even if he knees you with Ganon, you can still survive though preferably Up and Away for knee so that it doesn't combo into another knee. Also, uairs again down and away. If he hits you with Nair then you have to be able to immediately give yourself 2 SDIs just in case either down and inside if he tries to overshoot or down and away if he doesn't. You can even SDI jabs so the knee from the gentleman doesn't connect.

All that is basically Falcon's greatest weakness, if you can master that.. then trapping him is going to be a lot easier since as soon as he throws out a move, you'll be right near him almost all the time. It won't become a battle of catching Falcon, which you really don't want. Sometimes it's ok to get hit for you to get a more massive combo on Falcon.

Now as to practice DI.. well you have to be able to somewhat predict which moves are going to hit you and when you do, you input the DI you need to avoid combos or getting killed. Just imagine your life on the line, do you really want to get hit constantly? When you watch that video, most of your DI was Up and Inside which simply allows Falcon to juggle you endlessly, you have to mix those up.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
i asked, twice.

they're too busy talking amongst themselves about personal stuff to bother with my questions, lol
What did you ask them? I didn't see anything haha, but I can relay it.

And I'm gonna check that vid you posted, gimme a sec. But keep in mind I really have no idea what I'm talking about unless it involves a mediocre falcon/mediocre peach.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Alright, here's what I got for you. I don't know how much of this you should take to heart, seeing as you're a better player than me. But I do have a ton of falcon experience, so here goes.

1) he used his up-b recovery at odd times, watch out for this. On yoshi's/battlefield/dreamland, it's good to stand on the platform if you know he needs to sweetspot and do a ledge drop uair and Tipman him.
2) When falcon keeps running around like he does, a terrible place to be is in your shield. I have the terrible habit of doing that and it always ends in getting grabbed and kneed
3) this goes with 2, but try not to shield too much, only when you need to. Stay mobile and cut his attacks with jabs and u-ftilts.
4) grab and tech chase. If you can get 2 successful tech chases in a row on battlefield or yoshi's, that's his stock. Stomp to grab to d smash to fair worked wonders for me yesterday.
5) he was predicting your edge game a lot and pressuring you successfully. A safe bet is ledgehop jab as you are invicible from the ledge if you do it right. OR try a RLD to jump to fair. Usually they whiff an attack, expecting you to ledge dash and they get punished with your fair. Works for me anyway.
7) when a falcon approaches me, I usually jab and then jam the control stick down. This is because they are usually either going in for a grab (which jab beats) or a nair (which will get crouch cancelled if you jam the joystick down quickly enough).
8) fair is not a great move in this matchup IMO unless it is a guaranteed hit or a tech chase. At 6:34, he definitely could've grabbed you. At 9:07, he jabbed you out of it and costed you the match. You can use a retreating fair for spacing I suppose. Like don't just run at him and do it, you'll get (and did get) punished for it.
9) 6:47 made me laugh my *** off. Very nice.
10) 7:20 would have been a successful drop zone, had you decided to attack.
11) SH multi-airs usually work pretty well for me. But I'm not fully sure if they would vs. really good falcons.

Anyway, like I said, this is pretty much the only matchup I am even semi-familiar with. And I've been improving as of late, but I'm still not very good haha, but maybe some of this info helped you out?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ok. I watched just the first match and there's a couple things I can point out.

1) Don't run and just fair at him. Yes, the fair is a good move. But it is also a move that requires spacing. If you're gonna run and fair, make there at least be some pressure on it, like you've hit his shield and forced him to roll or something. Just don't throw out an Fair when the position is completely neutral. He can attack out of shield, wd oos, and do many other things to make you pay.

2) Bair spacing. Lot of times you get an opportunity to do something and you'll bair his shield too close and he grabs you or nairs you out of shield. If you feel he is gonna shield, which Ganon can force you to do alot so that's not a bad thing, have a bair placed further back where it hits his shield and he can't grab you. Then guess what, if he tries to grab he misses and you get a hit -- or you can land that bair and then do something like ftilt. It'll put additional pressure on his shield, and if he tries to jump out of the shield or grab it'll hit him.

3) Don't shield so much. Falcon is faster than you, and you shielding gives him opportunity to set up an offense. Ganon reacting out of shield in a roll, or jumping often gets you punished. Each move must be carefully calculated, and shielding just because your attack is over is not going to help. Falcon loves to see ganon shielding. The trick is to learn to shield carefully, especially on platforms. Move your shield down and toward the falcon to keep the UAirs from shield poking.

4) TIPMAN SPIKE!! - Yes the bair is a great move for edgeguarding. But if he's gonna be sweet spotting it, or if he has time to get a calculated recovery then you usually will not land with it. Bair is good for going out there before they can get to the ledge, for when in the heat of the moment they up-b because you put some form of pressure(positioning/combo) and they can't afford to be quite as precise with the up-b. You had him tipman spiked that last stock but you kept bairing. One calculated, quality tipman spike with the uair at any percent above like 30-40 and it leads to a stomp which is usually a stock. Or if they are high percentage, UAir will let you just edgehog for the stock.

Just some observations. He's a good falcon yeah, but he definitely is beatable. And I don't think he's necessarily amazing at the Ganon match-up. He's just exploiting falcon over ganon.

Beat!

Smash Master
You need to CC a lot more, because as it was now, almost every hit he got lead to brutal stuff. Kage already said that though so bleh. Kage's MM vs S2J (the one at Apex I think?) is a good example. S2J really couldn't get any combos going at lower percentages because Kage CCd everything.

It also looks like you second guess your tech chases at times which is kinda bad. You should either trust your instincts and go for the hard read, or cover "safer" options and maintain stage control.

I hope you didn't mind a non-Ganon main giving critique.

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
This is one of my weakest match ups - and I'm not very active currently... but since you asked so nicely, here's my critique:P

A lot of the main, general points have been covered, so I'll try to give you some specifics

1) When you get a grab on a platform, your go-to response was to drop through and u-air, which generally lead to nothing. It's better to stay there with him and go for the stomp techchase (or fair / bair once he's on higher %'s). Stomp does more damage, and should always lead into another hit.
When they mess up, don't just hit with whatever move works, hit for maximum impact.

2) I know Kage already said it - but Tipman edgeguard is beast against Falcon. He should very rarely get back on stage once you knock him off. You can cover all his options with two U-airs, keep doing this until you get a free B-air.
You committed too early on your edgeguards quite a few times as well e.g. at 4:49. Be patient, wait for him to make his move first.

I liked how much you baited him btw, lots of empty jumps and such. I know how hard it is as a ganon to beat a solid falcon - I may read through the responses closely too, get some pointers.

I may add more later - in need of some food right now to fuel the brain more.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I just wrote out a whole big thing about those matches, and then when I clicked send the page wouldn't load, and now everything I typed is gone. Because I don't want to rewatch the videos and retype everything, I'm going to be lazy and summarize it all. I'm in a bad mood now because I'm annoyed at this website, so this is going to be really quick and condensed.

I haven't read what other people wrote so that I can make sure this is my opinion and not theirs.

You die a lot from double Uair. I'm sure there's a way to DI this, but I don't know how to do it.

You get comboed a lot. After the last NCSU, I was told DI and CCing helped prevent combos, so I think you need to work on these, like I do. I say you CC a few times, and I'm fairly confident if you did it more it would have prevented combos.

Fairs aren't good. A lot of the time you got punished for empty Fairs or Fairs on shield. It looks to me like you should only Fair if you're at least 95% sure it'll hit.

You also get punished a lot for shielding. It seems to me like you should focus on DDing and other forms of evasion, and only shield when you have absolutely no other options.

You ledgedashed too much. Often you ledgedashed into attacks. Try mixing it up with ledgehops, ledgehop Uairs, or just the basics. I'm interested in trying out ledgehop UpB to see how it works out, but I doubt it'll be any good.

Try out Nair. Nair is fast, and you need fast moves against Falcon. I don't know how well it'd work, but I'd say it's worth trying.

Jab more. Jab is really fast, and helps prevent a lot of his attacks. I'm biased, because I think the jab is Ganon's best move, but I still think you need to jab more. There were times when you jabbed a lot, and times when you didn't. In general, you did better when you were jabbing a lot.

Ledgeguard better. I've recently tried out SH reverse Uairs near the edge, and I feel like they'd work really well against Falcon's recovery. It also think just basic ledgehogging would work well.

You did a good job baiting, but you weren't always prepared for the attack when it came. I'd suggest using a jab to prevent it, or a Ftilt if you have time. An SH Nair might be good, but I'd have to try it out.

I think that was everything I typed out, in a much more condensed form. I could be wrong, though. If I remember something else, I'll post it.

I'm going to read what everyone else has said now to see how similar what I've said is. Hopefully some of what I said is good and I wasn't completely off.

From my understanding, $Mike is really good. You should be proud of how well you did against him.

EDIT: I just tried out ledgehop UpB. It's a good way to mix things up, but it's rarely going to actually work. Think of how situational an on-stage UpB is. It's about as situational as that.

EDIT2: I just watched Kage v S2J. Based on that, I feel like there are three moves you're going to love in this matchup - Jab, Uair, and holding down on the control stick. You're also going to love SideB and FUtitlt, but you're not going to use them as often.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
I need help getting through the Falco match-up, I have big trouble finding my way against the laser horde, and, of course, I try to power shield, but it's infrequent and when I miss the first power shield it's next to impossible to get a power on the next ones. I also do my bair spacing but it isn't enough, I have 2 friends that can play Falco pretty well and I'm close to beating them, but I never pull through unless I'm playing on Battlefield (lol platforms). They **** me up when the lasers start coming. Any recommendations on how to maneuver or play against lasers to beat Falco?

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys, I'll take in mind retreating DI when shined, Battlefield looks even more lulzy now that I saw that video (gotta work on my platform play though)And Falco's d-mash and d-air can be teched, that's all nice to know as well. I never though u-air was useful against Falco but I guess that's GTFO of my face and jab is godly too. Thanks Guys

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Uair and jab are godly in every matchup. Especially jab.

Linguini seemed to cover all the major matchups except for Kirby. Doesn't he realize Ganondorf is Kirby's best matchup? If there's any time you need to know the Kirby matchup, it's when you're a Ganon main.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played against a Kirby in forever, but it never was a problem beating him. Ganon outprioritizes and outranges him too much.

Now what do you guys think on the Ganon/Sheik match, I think it's disasterous. No matter how hard I try I can't beat that crazy *****, I just end up using G&W, I have it much easier with that little 2D menace.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The only reason people think the matchup is easy is either because they haven't played a good Kirby (there are very very very few) or they've scene a good Kirby play a matchup other than Ganon. It's in Ganons favor, but it's not an auto-win.

Anyway, I was watching some Ganon combo vids in order to get inspiration for my comboed vid, and some of them were doing stuff I didn't know was possible. I need to watch combo vids more often.

Also, what do you guys think of my new avatar compared to my old one?

Top Bottom