• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Play 'With Anyone' Mode Like A Pro

Pablo51

Smash Rookie
Wow, the whole concept of getting as many kills out of the 2min limit and trying to get the most crazy kills seems like pure common sense.....

But it looks like I've been doin' it wrong for a looooong time. xD

Ikenomon

Smash Apprentice
Jeez, you thought of all that yourself?

If you did fall and break open your head, numbers would be tumbling out.

Good guide. With Anyone should be played unseriously.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
if ANY of you come across a Pink Samus that knows too many AT's and will almost always jump off the edge on FD to Screw attack the lip of it, that's me :D
I will pivot grab the bageezus out of you. I do With anyone for fun times when I get bored, sometiems hoping for good prey.

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
I loled when reading this, I'm bored now, so i might aswell go test them out.

Arora

Smash Apprentice
no tea baging

edit: i got an iinfratction for this wow maybe if someone read the whole thread you would see it says not to tbag your opponent

Melfice z

Smash Ace
My two cents:

standing just outside of the **** and charging a f-smash
standing on the edge of the stage with a full quickdraw (people are too scared to approach?)
falling eruption(s)
many off/onstage f-airs

and also,

:pikachu::sniper:

MPH Deku

Smash Journeyman
I just tried the pro play style, and....it's really really hard! ;__;

I try to get epic offstage Falcon Pawnches, Ganon Chokes, and Kirbicides, but I usually just fall off the stage and make a fool of myself, taking nobody with me. Because of this, nobody is learning the awesome 'pro' technique, and they continue to fight the mediocre way.

HELP ME BE 'PRO'! T__T

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I just tried the pro play style, and....it's really really hard! ;__;

I try to get epic offstage Falcon Pawnches, Ganon Chokes, and Kirbicides, but I usually just fall off the stage and make a fool of myself, taking nobody with me. Because of this, nobody is learning the awesome 'pro' technique, and they continue to fight the mediocre way.

HELP ME BE 'PRO'! T__T
Well, things like off-stage Falcon Pawnches are difficult to pull off, even for masters in the art of the 'pro' play style, so don't feel bad. Remember to turn on explosive items and bumpers, they are easy to use and quickly add to the chaos. You can't rely on item and stage choices though, because it could be anyone's pick.

Your character however, is up to you, and that is why I chose to make a character-specific guide instead of an item or stage guide. You've definitely got the right idea, always go offstage to try and finish opponents off, even if it means SDing. It doesn't matter how bad of a player the others think you are, you're 'pro' and they aren't, so you're better than them.

But the main thing, as you mentioned, is to convert them to be 'pro' too. The easiest way to do this is to be Captain Falcon; many players will convert quickly when they see you Falcon Pawnching like a maniac and fast-fall kneeing them off-stage, even if it's not working for you. The thing you always have to remember is that you are 'pro', and it is your duty as a 'pro' player to spread the excitement as best you can.

Always be the center of attention; dash to be the first one to grab each item as it drops, never let winning or even off-stage recovery enter your mind. If you jump off and attempt a meteor attack but miss, don't try to recover, try again without returning to the stage, and again, as many times as you can before you SD, and eventually you will succeed in hitting them or mind-gaming them so badly that they will fail their recovery.

Whew, that response ended up longer than I intended, but I haven't added to the guide in so long I guess you guys were due a few words of wisdom eh? Remember, as a 'pro' player who initiates the conversion sequence, you are the best player in the game; it's like playing golf, the lower your score is, the better, because it means you have contributed most to the final fall count.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Dude, I have to ask, is this thread a joke? I mean... how to put this... 'pro' players from what I've gathered in your thread here, are basically people that -want- to be Professional Brawler status (ie, play-for-cash good) but aren't actually that good, so end up just looking insane, sometimes pulling off the epic KO, but normally just getting KO'd a bunch themselves. I mean... contribute the most to the final fall count, a true Pro player will do this without actually falling themselves, right? I mean, if you're REALLY that good, you'll KO all your opponents several times and never actually fall yourself... yah? But to be 'pro' just seems like you're being incredible sarcastic. As if to say that ONLY 'pro' players play With Anyone, and not truly Pro players, who play for cash and are therefore insanely good cause how else you gonna take home the bacon every night.

Yeah? I dunno, I don't wanna dis what you've done here, cause there was a similar topic ages ago, something like "Combos DO exist in Brawl" and it said in so many words how NWC was so bad that you could pull off ridiculous combos, but only cause of the Lag, not cause it was meant to be that way... tongue in cheek thread in other words. But this thread... I can't tell! It's the ultimate mind game i guess, lol Anyways, I do like it, I just wish I knew how YOU felt about it. Do you really think trying to be pro not 'pro' in With Anyone is ***? No point? Or should people aspire to be 'pro' in an effort to be truly Pro.

And the whole assertion "there are no Pros on With Anyone" is completely false, btw. After brawling in 18,000+ With Anyone matches, I can tell you there's been plenty, and they'd win tourney's too if they were in them. How do I know? Well simple. I compare their performance to videos of tournament matches. Same ****! Just not stock matches and items are on, so it's actually HARDER for the tourney style brawler to compete cause they have to contend with a more even playing field, the Fairness Doctrine of With Anyone mode.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
How is pikachu not in the guide yet?
PIKACHU IS THE MOST PRO-ABLE CHARACTER EVER. :pikachu:
i DON'T CARE THAT THAT SENTENCE DIDN'T MAKE SINCE. I still love you Nysarc (pro styling is fun) and if I missed pikachu somehow in the guide you can stone me :)
this thread makes me >3

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Dude, I have to ask, is this thread a joke?
Thank you for asking, I actually have been wanting to clear this up for quite some time. Yes, in a sense it is meant as a joke, but at the same time, you should take it seriously.

Confusing, I know, but think of it this way. With Anyone mode is about as confidential and pointless as you can get for online gameplay. There's no verbal communication, no usernames visible, no taunt messages, no stats are kept from it, there's no leader board. It's pointless. So instead of trying to win or have organized fun, why not play like a crazed maniac and get everybody else to play like crazed maniacs too?

The concept is meant to be funny, but at the same time, it's real. I do play like this in With Anyone mode from time to time, and it's more fun than actually trying to beat a bunch of people I don't know and never will know for no prize.

I realize some pro players play in With Anyone mode, but they make up a vast minority of the population. 'Pro' players, don't want to achieve anything other than the perfect 'pro' match experience. If you want to get better at Brawl, play With Friends or offline. With Anyone mode won't teach you anything, so you might as well have some crazy fun with it.

As for me, I wouldn't say people trying to be pro in With Anyone is 'gay'... but it is kind of pathetic. So are things like taunt parties. There's no goal in taunt parties and most people don't even understand them, so they don't know why all the other taunt spammers are ganging up on them. 'Pro' playing is fun and has an objective that is easy to understand: Achieve as many falls in a single match as possible.

A pro player gets all kinds of KOs and contributes to the fall count dramatically, without ever falling himself. A 'pro' player gets some (or a lot) of KOs and SDs many times, thus contributing more to the overall fall count. 5 KOs and 7 Falls is more for the match than 5 KOs and 0 Falls.

I hope that was satisfactory, if you still have questions or concerns feel free to ask, I'm always willing to explain myself :)

Wiscus said:
PIKACHU IS THE MOST PRO-ABLE CHARACTER EVER.
Don't worry dude, that sentence made perfect sense! :lick:

I really have to update the character list soon...

EDIT: I just thought of something cool! I'll think it through some more and give you guys the details in a bit, but I'll let you all know now. I'm thinking about having a 'Pro'est Match Contest! You guys play With Anyone like 'pros', then save the replays of particularly 'pro' matches you had where at least two or three people were playing 'pro' style, then put them up on YouTube and I'll rate them!

Like I said, it's a rough idea right now, and I'll figure out details and how exactly the rating system will work and what the prize for the 'Pro'est Match will be. There may not be a prize but maybe Wii Points would work. I'll think about it, and get back to you guys in a bit. Feel free to give your thoughts and input on the idea!

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
EDIT: I just thought of something cool! I'll think it through some more and give you guys the details in a bit, but I'll let you all know now. I'm thinking about having a 'Pro'est Match Contest! You guys play With Anyone like 'pros', then save the replays of particularly 'pro' matches you had where at least two or three people were playing 'pro' style, then put them up on YouTube and I'll rate them!

Like I said, it's a rough idea right now, and I'll figure out details and how exactly the rating system will work and what the prize for the 'Pro'est Match will be. There may not be a prize but maybe Wii Points would work. I'll think about it, and get back to you guys in a bit. Feel free to give your thoughts and input on the idea!
That is a great idea. Also I have discovered having a crappy online connection is a great aid to pro playing, it helps with unintentional sds/kos. I am leeching wi-fi and thus am not on as much as I want to be but if you ever want to bounce ideas off me I am all for it. :chuckle:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
That is a great idea. Also I have discovered having a crappy online connection is a great aid to pro playing, it helps with unintentional sds/kos. I am leeching wi-fi and thus am not on as much as I want to be but if you ever want to bounce ideas off me I am all for it. :chuckle:
Man, have you ever had lag where it just makes everything slow-motion without chopping or freezing at all? That is the best kind of lag. Of course there's always the input lag, but the slow-motion lag is awesome.

I once had a match where it dropped in and out of slow-mo, and at one point I jumped off-stage to try and spike some guy, and it slowed right down as a jumped, so I was able to wait out his air-dodge and time my spike perfectly, fast-falling to my death while I did it. The slow-mo didn't end until I came back out of the halo and did Ike's down taunt. It was awesome.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Thank you for asking, I actually have been wanting to clear this up for quite some time. Yes, in a sense it is meant as a joke, but at the same time, you should take it seriously.
That's what I was thinking I just didn't wanna come right out and say. Awesome, dude. The first time I read through it I couldn't stop LOL'ing cause it's all SO true! With Anyone has a lot of intermediate players now cause it's been out long enough we've all kinda grown over time... when I first started in With Anyone I never spiked, or did anything epic, I main'd Kirby and spammed his B attacks constantly and got great at item handling..

Confusing, I know, but think of it this way. With Anyone mode is about as confidential and pointless as you can get for online gameplay. There's no verbal communication, no usernames visible, no taunt messages, no stats are kept from it, there's no leader board. It's pointless. So instead of trying to win or have organized fun, why not play like a crazed maniac and get everybody else to play like crazed maniacs too?
Haha ok I can accept this... it'd be kinda like one of the several With Anyone Games... I was afraid though that you were playing like this because of the above reasons. I just... I hate the stigma With Anyone gets because of those things. True no names, no communication except through character controlled communication (which in itself has developed uniquely because of the With Anyone environment), no stats or ladders ... so yeah, because of that the only real sense of accomplishment you can get is in your own personal knowledge that the group you just pwn'd for 30 straight matches will forever know in their heads that on that day they faced an indomitable force.

The concept is meant to be funny, but at the same time, it's real. I do play like this in With Anyone mode from time to time, and it's more fun than actually trying to beat a bunch of people I don't know and never will know for no prize.

I realize some pro players play in With Anyone mode, but they make up a vast minority of the population. 'Pro' players, don't want to achieve anything other than the perfect 'pro' match experience. If you want to get better at Brawl, play With Friends or offline. With Anyone mode won't teach you anything, so you might as well have some crazy fun with it.
Actually, I really owe most of my brawl moves and experience to With Anyone and the 'pro' and Pro players alike. It's the n00bs that I learn nothing from, except how easy it can be to KO someone umpteen times in under 2 minutes.

As for me, I wouldn't say people trying to be pro in With Anyone is 'gay'... but it is kind of pathetic. So are things like taunt parties. There's no goal in taunt parties and most people don't even understand them, so they don't know why all the other taunt spammers are ganging up on them. 'Pro' playing is fun and has an objective that is easy to understand: Achieve as many falls in a single match as possible.

A pro player gets all kinds of KOs and contributes to the fall count dramatically, without ever falling himself. A 'pro' player gets some (or a lot) of KOs and SDs many times, thus contributing more to the overall fall count. 5 KOs and 7 Falls is more for the match than 5 KOs and 0 Falls.
I got ya. Playing 'pro' really isn't about winning. It's about brawling with Style. I submit another rule for playing 'pro' ... always try to make it look like you meant to do that, lol whatever that is. I've often times missed an obvious move or flubbed a move or whatever but the recovery from that is key, cause if you are 'pro' you'll definitely find some way to make it look like you meant to do that all along.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I got ya. Playing 'pro' really isn't about winning. It's about brawling with Style. I submit another rule for playing 'pro' ... always try to make it look like you meant to do that, lol whatever that is. I've often times missed an obvious move or flubbed a move or whatever but the recovery from that is key, cause if you are 'pro' you'll definitely find some way to make it look like you meant to do that all along.
Yah you got it, and that addition made me lol big time! That's so true, I don't know why I didn't put that in the key ideas in the first place because I do that a lot too. Whenever I fail horribly I taunt anyways, or I re-enact my failure as if it was just for show. Good stuff.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Misleading name.

Pro's don't exist in Wifi Scrub.

"If I could challenge that guy to a 1 on 1 I'd show him who's boss!"... No, you probably wouldn't.

Also speak for yourself lol. Wifi Scrub* doesn't require skill, it requires luck. Losing in Wifi Scrub doesn't mean that you would lose in 1v1.

*Also known as Wifi Random.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
OP i present to you a mind game of sorts i used on a Pikachu this past friday allow me to set the tables here;

I spawned into this room with a guy playing as a Lucario/goggles Pikachu/random he was player 2[P2].

Now P3/P4 where some random casual players and they were all pretty much chillin out and casually fighting about as casual as casual gets. Till i spawned in on Wario.

So i started making a mess of things, getting the smash balls, gimping with Star Rods, you know the deal. Between all the fireflowers and explosive boxes our heart felt player 3/4 leave pretty frustrated. Then we meet a most interesting NEW player 3 [P3] who comes in on a Black Falco. And a random TL dair spammer on the head at P4.

My heated wars between the googles Pikachu rages on between all the Pokeballs and bunny hoods. The black Faclo/red Mario on P3 was actually doing quite well for himself...untill the spammer TL P4 leaves.

So a new Player 4 arrives, red hat pikachu. I'm on Olimar, Mario is mario with his top hat, and googles pikachu thinks i'm hilters only living relative.

We're all at temple. And theres a silence in the air.

Dead.

Silence.

I camp the cave of immortality and am like, "Welp, this is a mess"

Googles pikachu an hats pikachu become buddies. Mario keeps his distance.

Team ups can get ugly, esp. if its 3v1. I figured hey if i play my cards right i could mind game this googles pikachu that hates my guts so loving bad.

Sudden death comes, googles pikachu makes his move on mario, they kill each other and as an act of good will i give hats pikachu the match. Why not? Brotherly love is a sign of acceptance.

Knowing that now was the right time, i select hats pikachu. We all load up the next game and lo and behold! Googles pikachu that had hated me so much for the past 20 rounds, is now my good buddy. P4 [was hats pikachu is now green headband pikachu] comes up near me and we all down taunt like buddies.

But unfortunately for P3 who has a stick so far up his ***, he becomes the victim of our assults for the next matches.

Moral of the story; Keep an eye on who bears what Player port. If they change characters they will still keep their player port. [P2,P3 etc.]

3v1 is gay, esp when u got an angry pikachu

if your in a 3v1 room, select neutrals only[yoshis island brawl and smashville are ur best bets]. There is no where they can run too, no where they can stall, no platforms to hide under, no gay tactics they can exploit with the maps, just ****.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
lol This guide explained everything, to the exact detail, what goes on in Wifi. Before I found SWF, I was in Wifi with strangers making taunt parties and other types of havoc. Excellent guide.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Misleading name.

Pro's don't exist in Wifi Scrub.

Also speak for yourself lol. Wifi Scrub* doesn't require skill, it requires luck. Losing in Wifi Scrub doesn't mean that you would lose in 1v1.

*Also known as Wifi Random.
L2 take a joke dude, did you even read the guide or just the title and a few paragraphs? This whole guide, although it can be taken seriously and followed (and it's pretty fun to do so), is in essence a joke. By Pro I meant a player who is better than you, better than others around you, and asserts that by being an *** and trying to win every match in a serious and boring manner.

Also, please don't try to inform me about WiFi as if I have no idea what With Anyone mode is. A lot of what you're saying doesn't make sense. You're basically insulting everyone who plays With Anyone mode by saying they have no skill.

Oh and um... I think, I may not be right, but I think that it's actually called 'With Anyone'? I may be wrong, the text in game could very well say 'WiFi Scrub', it's been a few days since I last saw it and I have a slippery memory in my late teenage years.

Also, sorry I haven't been keeping up to date on this guys, I do eventually want to get every character done. I've been working on stuff for MYM6 for the last week and a half or so...

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Ike + Blast Box = Favorite Finisher. By Far

And Very Easy To Pull Off...

I Have Some Trouble With Falcon's Knees.. But I'm Getting The Hang Of It

Falcon Punch Is Good.. People Seem To Just Run Into It

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Nice. I never knew the dedication needed to make online play better.

All of a sudden, "With Anyone" starts to look worthwhile.

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
awesome guide! Its a shame playing competitively in anyone mode isn't rewarding. But it is fun to play casually and just falcon punch like mad.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I always like, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, Mario Bros, and Hanenbow <3 Hanenbow

My personal FAVORITE settings are.

Items on high:

Smart Bomb

Explosive Crate

Bob Omb

Poke Ball

Assist Trophy

SOCCER BALL!

Crate

Freezie

Dragoon

Hammers

HotHead

Bumper

Motion Sensor Bomb

Time Stop (optional)

Metal Box (Optional)

Smash Ball (Gay but optional)

On DELFINO PLAZA

Personal favorite chars to be on it

FALCO Due to reflector

FALCON cause its falcon

Wolf (Not so much) due to reflector

and Fox due to reflector

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong has several 'pro' moves including two different meteor attacks that both look pretty cool (forward and down aerials). His only downside? He's just as bad with the ladies as Bowser.

Obviously the move you are going to be using most often with DK is his Cargo throw. Simply grab someone, push forward, walk off-stage, throw them away from the stage, die yourself, and watch them pitifully attempt to get back to the stage. Unless they're Pit or something... in that case don't bother with this. Now, when I said before that DK has two spikes... I lied. His third spike is his side B, which is the most 'pro' spike of all. Landing one of those will get you renown aplenty.

Obviously your ridiculous punch attack is favorable under any circumstances. Wind it up, jump off-stage and let it rip as your opponent makes a feeble attempt at becoming visible again from off-screen... then Kopter Kong after them for effect, and an SD. Your Hand Slap move is excellent for many things like blowing up several explosives at once and damaging several people at once, use it often.
I think this section needs a little revision. Add that third meteor to the list.

You also seem to be misinformed about the cargo throw. It's not really good. If you just hold up on the control stick, you will break out near instantly. When you throw them offstage, you can easily recovery yourself, if nobody told you. If they miss a tech, they're sure to die if you do it wrong. But if done properly, they'll die fairly easily when thrown off.

I'd still like to put emphasis on the "you can still recover from a throw". Also, have you ever used his Neutral Punch? If you use it offstage, you will die because it's a special, and you go into a freefall state afterwards. And what do you mean by "Hand Slap"? His 'down-b'?

The real key to DK in FFAs would be to abuse range. His grounded Up Special is absolutely amazing, Down Special is fantastic on stages like Luigis Mansion, and generally good when there's more than just 2 people. DK wants to land as many tilts as possibly, and just Bthrow. Never cargo throw in an FFA. It's just too punishable.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I think this section needs a little revision. Add that third meteor to the list.

You also seem to be misinformed about the cargo throw. It's not really good. If you just hold up on the control stick, you will break out near instantly. When you throw them offstage, you can easily recovery yourself, if nobody told you. If they miss a tech, they're sure to die if you do it wrong. But if done properly, they'll die fairly easily when thrown off.

I'd still like to put emphasis on the "you can still recover from a throw". Also, have you ever used his Neutral Punch? If you use it offstage, you will die because it's a special, and you go into a freefall state afterwards. And what do you mean by "Hand Slap"? His 'down-b'?

The real key to DK in FFAs would be to abuse range. His grounded Up Special is absolutely amazing, Down Special is fantastic on stages like Luigis Mansion, and generally good when there's more than just 2 people. DK wants to land as many tilts as possibly, and just Bthrow. Never cargo throw in an FFA. It's just too punishable.
^^^ = Missing the point completely :lick:

Lol, did you read the intro of my guide? This isn't a guide to how to play the characters well, leave that to the character boards. This is a guide on how to play erratically while racking up as many KOs and SDs as possible. The goal of this play style is to end each match with the most negatives (Falls and SDs) possible. Obviously it is only to be used in With Anyone where nobody cares anyways and everyone just wants to have some fun.

I realize DK can recover after a cargo throw, I'm not that bad at this game. However, in the spirit of trying to get as many negatives as possible, why recover when you can fall further than your recovery range and doom both you and your opponent? Plus, this is With Anyone we're talking about, your opponents aren't going to be teching and DIing perfectly and they won't know the best way to escape a cargo throw. And yes, by Hand Slap I meant his down B, that's what one of the guides in the DK boards called it so I went with it.

This next statement is for everyone, as clarification: This is not, in any way, shape or form, a guide on how to win. This is a guide on how to best amuse yourself while playing With Anyone mode. In fact, if you win a match while trying to play 'pro', you probably weren't doing something right.

:034:

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Good read I finished the whole thing. I just have one complaint about playing 'pro' with Ike. I don't see my favorite KO method here, when chasing after an opponent off-stage to hit them hard with Quick draw! :)

I think I may take this up in the middle of a taunt party. Good stuff.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
My mistake. The title was misleading. I was under the impression that "With Anyone pros" didn't SD for giggles.

Top Bottom