• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Jump - Mario "Help Me" Q&A Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
Wonder who thought of that term. I know when I first heard it I stared at the stream for a minute wondering what that was.
I think I first heard it on a melee stream. Maybe whoever coined it wanted to see if a majority of us were silly enough to follow in the naming, regardless of how random it seems.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There's no use trying to retcon it now. It's already being used. As many stupid names and abbreviations as we have, I think you can live with this one.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
How do I double jump/double fireball , before touching back to ground ? I found myself doing this the other day randomly , then as soon as I thought about it , I couldn't do it anymore . Just wondering if anyone knows the general control-stick flow that's required to do this . Thanks .

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
So it looks like I'm about to relapse into Smash addiction, and I'm liking the way Mario feels so far.
I didn't see any compendium styled threads so I'll ask here... Any good places to start for general Mario knowledge, strats, techs etc.?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So it looks like I'm about to relapse into Smash addiction, and I'm liking the way Mario feels so far.
I didn't see any compendium styled threads so I'll ask here... Any good places to start for general Mario knowledge, strats, techs etc.?
A lot of places. You can look at some competitive matches, browse the boards, and I could even shamelessly plug the guide that I made on Mario if I wasn't too lazy to get the link.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
A lot of places. You can look at some competitive matches, browse the boards, and I could even shamelessly plug the guide that I made on Mario if I wasn't too lazy to get the link.
A guide is kind of what I'm looking for. I didn't realize SWF had a guides section these days, I was just looking for stickied posts. I'll check that out.
Much appreciated. :upsidedown:

Edit: Do we have any frame data yet, or is that still in the works?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
A guide is kind of what I'm looking for. I didn't realize SWF had a guides section these days, I was just looking for stickied posts. I'll check that out.
Much appreciated. :upsidedown:

Edit: Do we have any frame data yet, or is that still in the works?
Depends on how thorough you want it. If you want the specifics like what the frame the moves ends, how active the hitbox is, then yeah, still in the works. I could link you to a frame chart that shows when each move comes out. This is the guide. It's a little bit outdated, so if you see anything that raises your eyebrow, just let me know. I plan to update it soon.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I found the guide, thanks. I did a little skimming but will read through when I get the time (read: patience).
As far as frame data, just knowing the startup on things would be great. Eventually I'm interested in more extensive stuff, but really right now I'm just curious :)
I miss having all the data at my fingertips :(

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I feel you. That's the downside of a new game. So much new information that you have to learn. I haven't even memorized most of Mario's stats. Here's the frame chart. Shows what frame everybody's attacks comes out. Hopefully, we'll have the real in-depth stuff soon.

Last edited:

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
Is there a safe way to pressure Bair on a shield opponent?(without getting myself Shield Grab.)

Thank you in advance.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
On the top of my head, I'd say: Rosalina, G&W, Pikachu and Luigi.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Maybe I'm just playing it bad, but Ness is a tough one for me when it comes to the ground game.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Ness is also a pain. All of his aerials have greater priority than Mario's. FLUDD is a terror for Ness though.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
A couple of quick questions:

1. Is Mario's d-air punishable between hits, or is it only possible to air dodge between it? (I.e G&W brawl b-air where there was a delay between 4th and the last hit)

2. Is it even worth air-dodging the last hit of d-air?

2. What are the best ways to DI Mario's up and down throws?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A couple of quick questions:

1. Is Mario's d-air punishable between hits, or is it only possible to air dodge between it? (I.e G&W brawl b-air where there was a delay between 4th and the last hit)

2. Is it even worth air-dodging the last hit of d-air?

2. What are the best ways to DI Mario's up and down throws?
3 frame aerials can punish Mario's D-air on hit. This includes Mario/Doc Up-B/N-air, Mac N-air and Up-B, DK Up-B, Marth/Lucina Up-B, Ryu TSRK, Jigglypuff Rest, and some other moves. And yes some characters also can airdodge it. Fortunately Diddy's most recent nerf prevents him from abusing this with his U-air which previously among other things skewed his matchup against Mario pretty noticeably. Also there was no such delay between Brawl G&W's B-air, though a G&W who spaced it poorly could technically be shieldgrabbed in between hits.

If Mario is trying to kill you with D-air off the top, you might as well airdodge it. He doesn't really have any threatening followups after that honestly.

DI away from Mario's D-throw. Don't DI the U-throw.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Dair's hits all connecting properly would probably be the only buff I'd ask for, honestly.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dair's hits all connecting properly would probably be the only buff I'd ask for, honestly.
It would actually solve a lot of problems for Mario, honestly. Mostly Mario not having any real aerial KO moves, which makes him really boring.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
It would actually solve a lot of problems for Mario, honestly. Mostly Mario not having any real aerial KO moves, which makes him really boring.
Up air is pretty okay if you haven't staled it. Killed Link at like 150% when I couldn't get the edgeguard, and given its speed it's a pretty alright way of wrapping up the job if everything else is getting read. But yeah, agreed.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Top 5 Marios

1. Ally (Not a good Mario to learn from however)
2. XeroXen (Best Mario to learn from)
3. Mastazenyoux
4. Smasher1001
5. Mbohne

If Anti ever gets back into Smash 4, he'd be the best Mario period.
ANTi is playing at CEO this weekend, but he is using mostly Luigi. So yeah.

EDIT: nvm, he is using Mario as well.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi everyone,

New to this thread. Basically, I want to know what should I do and play against characters with disjointed hitboxes (Shulk, Marth, Lucina, Pit, Dark Pit, Link, etc.)? Mario and Luigi seem to have problems against them.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Hey guys, just wanna ask something. I've been practising the RAR, but I just was going to ask: Does Mario need to RAR a lot? There's not much point learning the RAR if he doesn't use it much, but does he appreciate it o r not? Basically: should I learn to RAR or not?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Hey guys, just wanna ask something. I've been practising the RAR, but I just was going to ask: Does Mario need to RAR a lot? There's not much point learning the RAR if he doesn't use it much, but does he appreciate it o r not? Basically: should I learn to RAR or not?
I think it's pretty good to know personally, as I've faced opponents on Anther's applying it pretty well. It's a good way to approach or punish if someone is in front of you. That and it mixes up your neutral in general, which is always good to do to keep yourself unpredictable.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I use RAR all the time myself, it's so engrained in my gameplay that I don't even think about doing it, i just run and think i'll back and then im doing it. considering marios lack of a strong pressure fair i'd say it's important for higher level play.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
OK, thanks for your opinions guys. I'll keep practicing the RAR.

GoldenMasterSword

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldMasterSword
3DS FC
5241-2079-3500
RAR is the greatest thing to happen to the Smash Bros games. It's a shame that it's not in Melee (and it looks super janky because of its absence).
Mario's RAR is really good because of his back air.
Definitely make it a habit to use them. His forward air is much riskier.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
RAR is something I have to train more on my Mario. There are many times where I do a f-air instead due to misstiming.

Funtroon

Smash Apprentice
Doing a basic introduction video to Mario's gameplay for those interested in maining him. The video is set to be short, no more than 4 to 5 minutes. I'm thinking of doing the video on 5 different essentials to that Mario players must utilize in his gameplay. So far I've come up with:

• Follow ups to d-throw.
  • Kill moves + % in which they kill.
  • Spacing (with fireballs and bairs.
  • Cape shenanigans (would love your input on when cape should be used in a match).
  • Fair usage.
Do you think these bullet points cover the basics to how Mario should be played?

Last edited:

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Hi guys again. Some advice please? I'm wondering what stages are best for Mario. I generally pick stages with platforms, so as to help fireball camp, but what would you pros recommend?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hi guys again. Some advice please? I'm wondering what stages are best for Mario. I generally pick stages with platforms, so as to help fireball camp, but what would you pros recommend?
Stages with platforms suck for Mario for the most part imo. If they weren't banned, you would want walkoffs.

Next best stage is FD. Mario really needs every opportunity he can get to force people to land directly onto him in order to secure kills. Doesn't depend as much on platforms to land as opposed to outmaneuvering people, so platforms more hurt you for approaching people from the air instead.

SV is also acceptable if you're aiming to camp a lot. But in all seriousness, don't take people to Battlefield unless you want them to live forever. Mario doesn't have any grounded moves that really reach the platforms, and his aerials don't kill.

Halberd and any other small blastzone stage not bad for Mario either given this helps you kill people a bit earlier with D-air and B-throw.

Last edited:

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Stages with platforms suck for Mario for the most part imo. If they weren't banned, you would want walkoffs.

Next best stage is FD. Mario really needs every opportunity he can get to force people to land directly onto him in order to secure kills. Doesn't depend as much on platforms to land as opposed to outmaneuvering people, so platforms more hurt you for approaching people from the air instead.

SV is also acceptable if you're aiming to camp a lot. But in all seriousness, don't take people to Battlefield unless you want them to live forever. Mario doesn't have any grounded moves that really reach the platforms, and his aerials don't kill.

Halberd and any other small blastzone stage not bad for Mario either given this helps you kill people a bit earlier with D-air and B-throw.
Oh. And here I am going for platforms like a scrub. Thanks for the tip!

Kulty

Smash Ace
What should I mention in a character guide? How should I create a guide? Should I post it like a normal thread? Planning to do one for Mario, because I feel that I know most of what the character can or cannot do.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Does anyone know the timing to get a stage spike off of dash attack when someone is recovering and about to sweetspot the ledge? I've done it accidentally a few times, but I can't land it consistently.

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
I'm playing Mario and I have no idea what his game is about. Like I'm watching people and I'm trying to regurgitate what they're doing but something is not clicking. Any tips?

busken

Smash Ace
When should I use D-tilt? Aside from after down throw at low percents? Or at the ledge? When is a good time to go for a raw d-tilt?

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
D-tilt is good to prevent dashgrabs, since it has decent range (compared to the rest of Mario's moves). It's a good combo starter too.

Top Bottom