• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Jump - Mario "Help Me" Q&A Thread

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
You cannot B-reverse FLUDD. And if you could, it would be annoying for the opponent, but not OP in the slightest. Wouldn't really benefit Mario offstage either.

Dair stuff

• Dair kills with rage. It's not that good of a KO move otherwise unless you're at the top of the screen.
  • Dair is nice for pressuring people above you (sometimes).
  • You can combo into Up Smash or Down Smash or a fast move if you combo into the landing hitbox, but I don't know if anyone has found out how to do it consistently in a match. It's kind of finnicky. Not to mention that SH Dair isn't safe on landing (people seem to think this for some reason).
  • Up throw -> Dair works at low percents (I think 0-20). And this is without rage. Rage messes this "combo" up.
  • It's also possible (but I guess it's not done enough in practice) to get out of dair between the last and second last hit if you have a 3 frame move.

I'm not sure about the Up Air to Up-B percents (I don't have a Wii U, so I haven't played around with the staircase combo percents).

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Looking for assistance with Mario's Nair to jab lock. Either my jab misses them, or I reset their character to standing position with no hit stun. Suggestions?

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
Can Mario B-Reverse Fludd? I can B-Reverse Down-B with all my other characters but I can't do it with him for some reason.

DT_X4

Smash Rookie
NNID
DT_PowerButton
3DS FC
0130-2636-7538
Hey, I'm having the WORST time fighting lucario. I can get his damage up ( sometimes way past mine) but the guy I play against is really defensive and grabs alots. So I'm often pursuing him while he just rolls away. And charges aura sphere. When his aura gets high I seem to always get hit and die really early. Any tips on how to optimize my game.
If you notice his grabs are common, try to read them and punish him. A well timed spot dodge to a down smash would work if he decides to roll behind you after the missed grab.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Is Mario a linear character? Everything about his moveset seems straightforward and a "use this move only this way!" Type of vibe.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Who does Mario lose in neutral to? Please include characters that are relatively unknown or unused in tournaments as well.

Zack117

Smash Rookie
Since landing Dair behind a shielding opponent is a pretty good approach option, I wondered if you can SDI through your opponent while using this move to compensate for eventual wrong positioning.

Anyone know of this is possible?

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Hiya! What is mario supposed to do against meta knight and little mac? (specifically in the neutral)

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this, so...
What about d-throw to u-air as a KO combo? I went in training mode as Mario against Sheik and I could d-throw starting at about 130%, full hop and then maybe double jump (at least at higher percentages) and it read as a combo. I believe if it reads as a combo (shows combo as 2 in this case), that means there is a enough hitstun to be inescapable. Of course, DI is a factor and they may be able to hitstun cancel with an airdodge making it a 50/50.

I'm sure people would be aware of this, or is this even a thing. If so why wouldn't this be useful as a reliable way to KO at higher percentages?

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Do anyone here knows how to combat Mewtwo and what counter pick stages to take him on?

:pow:
Two things I can note from playing the few in my state:

1. Jump over Shadow Ball or shield it if you have a full shield, do not Cape it. They will just be able to Confusion it back and it will either break your shield or kill you. I'm pretty sure you can't rebound it back after it's been rebounded twice...

2. Never take Mewtwo to a three platform stage such as Battlefield, Lylat, or Dreamland. They get all kinds of weird teleport cancel shenanigans there. If you can only manage to avoid one of these, make sure its Battlefield though.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
You can Cape Confusion if you are close to Mewtwo, since he does not have the time to reflect it. Alternatively, PS the move or Cape it and then jump.

As for fighting Mewtwo, some things to remember:

• Mewtwo cannot necessarily kill you from full screen (unless you do something extremely unsafe) and has to go in to kill you. He does not have sword normals that keep you out of range safely. Fair is the closest thing to this and it should be respected, but otherwise Mewtwo has to go in to get kills. However, Mewtwo is putting himself at risk when he does this because his CQC game is poor and yours is godlike. Space with Bairs, weave with B-reverse fireballs, etc.
  • Mewtwo's Nair is a good combo tool, but it is sub-par in neutral. It has poor range and will lose to a lot of attacks (e.g. Mario's bair or Up Smash).
  • Keep an eye on Mewtwos that airdodge constantly. If you see that they airdodge a lot, throw out a nair. If the Mewtwo mistimes the airdodge, they will incur landing lag and you are free to combo them.
  • Mewtwo doesn't have a great time landing. You can take advantage of this by pressuring with Up Air or throwing out Up Smashes.
  • Mix up your landings as best as you can, because Mewtwo can use Up Air, Up Tilt or Up Smash to catch landings.
  • Be careful when coming back onto the stage, because Mewtwo can use Nair to edgeguard/semi-spike you.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
How do you beat kirby with mario? I couldn't approach the one I fought properly, because of his frame data, and getting grabs was really hard.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Could someone give me some insight as to why people(at least most of what I have seen) seemingly counter pick Marth for Mario? I understand Mario has range issues at times but what exactly makes these people think that Marth's disjoint is all it takes to beat Mario? Ally and AnTi show otherwise.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'm looking for help in the Diddy matchup. I'm so so bad at this matchup. I've practiced a ton over the past year with a really good Diddy main in my area but he still bodies me. I probably only take 2 out of 10 games. And I go even with the rest of his characters, so I know it's not just skill level. It's me being really bad at the matchup.

After looking back at my matches, I'm good at playing with Diddy offstage...edgeguarding and getting gimps. But I'm really struggling at playing against Diddy in the neutral. I just get destroyed there. I've noticed that if I don't get a gimp I basically always lose. So any tips on playing Diddy in the neutral, with and without banana, ect. would be very useful. If this has been asked already I apologize, I couldn't find anything.

Last edited:

Mars WonderBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mars_WonderBoy
3DS FC
4511-0715-7718
Heyo Mario mainers.
I'm having the most difficult problem in an execution that I'm hoping some of you may assist on. I cannot Dance Trot with Mario. I've heard and seen videos about Dance Trotting and can perform some on other characters, but Mario's timing seems to elude me.

I'm asking this: can someone be kind enough to inform me what's the input execution by frame? Perhaps, send me a replay video so I know which frame to input on. This is driving me nuts not knowing the right timing.

Last edited:

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
Are Mario's throws weight based? Like are they more or less laggy depending on the weight of his opponent?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Are Mario's throws weight based? Like are they more or less laggy depending on the weight of his opponent?
Yes. It's one of the reasons why, in spite of Mario's ability to juggle heavies and bait their landings, Mario doesn't completely dominate the match. At least I don't think it's heavily in Mario's favour anyway.

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
Yes. It's one of the reasons why, in spite of Mario's ability to juggle heavies and bait their landings, Mario doesn't completely dominate the match. At least I don't think it's heavily in Mario's favour anyway.
Okay thanks, I'm labbing out combos and I figured that's the reason why his combos from D-throw don't work on everyone.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
What are combos that work on Mario without risking me getting up bd or naird out of it?
For which character?
Also fyi you can stop in the middle of a combo and shield if you expect a counter attack since Up B is super punishable if it doesn't land (Nair might also be punishable on shield but I'd have to check)

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Mario on Mario combos. Like I try to avoid starting combos with up tilts because I never get anything out of them ever. But if I do it tight enough what combos are true on Mario?

jaegerbomb117

Smash Rookie
What are Marios options for landing against links 3 hit upsmash? I keep getting juggled. Not sure if i'm mis timeing my air dodge for it or if I should be looking to get over to the ledge or what.

Sorry if this is the wrong place/format for the question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom