• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Jump - Mario "Help Me" Q&A Thread

Rock2000256

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rock2000
This is gonna sound really dumb, but what's the sweetspot for fair so it spikes? At what point should I hit it if I want to spike with it?
The sweet spot of the spike is at the very bottom of the downward facing part of the attack, while the sour spot is at the begginning of the attack. There is about a 1/2 second delay before the spike is possible, so anticipate the attack. I can demonstrate if you need further guidance. :-)

Last edited:

Trash Boat

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBossDude
im having trouble against a megaman in my friend group. Im having trouble getting past his defenses for a grab, etc. Keep in mind that this player is much better than even stylesX2 so he's extremely good

Hstack8

Smash Rookie
I have 2 questions. First, I have a little bit of trouble getting the kill with Mario. I only upsmash and back through/edgeguard, are there any mixups to throw my oponents off my usual options? Second, what is Mario's best combo breaker move?

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
yes there is. I highly recommend this option. when there perecentage is @ least 80 or higher, try to down throw them then short hop into upsmash, or another is simply down throw to short hop into a run dash then forward smash. Reason? 70% of the time they will think to air dodge. which puts you at a higher advantage. Mario is great for faking out. you just need to read the air dodge. I have a combo video. I can share if you like.
I have 2 questions. First, I have a little bit of trouble getting the kill with Mario. I only upsmash and back through/edgeguard, are there any mixups to throw my oponents off my usual options? Second, what is Mario's best combo breaker move?

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
also what do you mean by combo breaker?

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
Pay close attention to what I did to the Corrin player in 2:25. I down throwed him hen short hopped into landing then upsmash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPxDE4J_v34

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
im having trouble against a megaman in my friend group. Im having trouble getting past his defenses for a grab, etc. Keep in mind that this player is much better than even stylesX2 so he's extremely good
Interesting even better than styles u say? Simply add pressure. Don't go for the grabs, that's what he wants you to do. Megaman is a projectile player. So to go close is dangerous. So instead you play his game. I recommend this option, do a pivot fireball and then shorthop again into another fireball. therefore there would be two fireballs fast chasing megaman. His only option is o either jump or block. if he blocks, GRAB and do follow ups. If he jumps, read I before he does then up air.

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
I highly recommend watching this video as it is great for Mario viable setups. This is my 1st vid on Mario combos so the music and edit will not be great. All I ask is for you to watch the whole 4:56 vid. I fight like ally and I love the fact there are other Mario mains in this forum. I advise to stuudy the movements from 2:35 to the rest of video. I hope this helps......

Trash Boat

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBossDude
I highly recommend watching this video as it is great for Mario viable setups. This is my 1st vid on Mario combos so the music and edit will not be great. All I ask is for you to watch the whole 4:56 vid. I fight like ally and I love the fact there are other Mario mains in this forum. I advise to stuudy the movements from 2:35 to the rest of video. I hope this helps......
Thanks

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Second, what is Mario's best combo breaker move?
Depends on the situation.. SJP can get you out of a few rapid jab combos (Most notably Captain Falcon's rabid jab combo) SJP does also have a Bit of a misleading hit box that can get you out but a bit risky if they are expecting you to Super jump punch out of the combo. Nair has a long hit box that could work as well but the range isn't that good..

abx

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I was facing a good Mario player and one thing bugged me: Sometimes he approached with NAir on shield, immediately followed up by the jab combo. The transition was so incredibly fast that I couldn't punish his NAir at all. Gladly, he didn't mixed that up with grabbing instead of jabbing, so I could punish the jab, but I'm wondering if NAis is punishable at all or if it is considered to be mostly safe except when the opponent shields the jab completely. If he would throw in some NAir -> Grab it would be quite tough, especially considering Mario's good Out-of-throw-options.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I need a back-up character for:4mario:. I struggle so much against:rosalina::4zss:(I think most Mario mains do struggle against them mostly). Who is good against these two? Give me a list of good characters that can do well against these two and I'll choose one of them. I prefer someone completely different from Mario in terms of playstyle since I want playstyle diversity.

Last edited:

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I tried out Mario for the first time in a local weekly yesterday and won! There were a couple of close sets though. In particular, I'm gonna have to deal with sword characters a lot (based on my community) and I also have a bad habit of using shield too much. What are some things (both player based and Mario based) that I can do to help circumvent these issues? I'm still pretty new to the character, but I'm really digging him so far.

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I tried out Mario for the first time in a local weekly yesterday and won! There were a couple of close sets though. In particular, I'm gonna have to deal with sword characters a lot (based on my community) and I also have a bad habit of using shield too much. What are some things (both player based and Mario based) that I can do to help circumvent these issues? I'm still pretty new to the character, but I'm really digging him so far.
Well since Mario has small reach, compare to the Fire Emblem Characters, he can still space them out. Use his fireballs and pivot fireball to space. I swear fireballs looks useless but it has such great properties. Also practice Mario's pivot Back Air. Its one of his GET THE F*CK OF ME kind of spacing. Since you say, you shield a lot, simply try not to. I know it sounds too simple, but the reason you are shielding a lot is because they are spacing you with their weapon.

Quite Frankly I think you worry about it too much so you rely on shielding. This is perfectly natural. Every player has their worrysome state. As a Mario main, swordsman and other longer reach characters have also concerned me. But as soon as you get use to the matchup, you will get comfortable with him. You start to have a plan in motion when you face a fighter who has better reach than you.

For example picture a battle in motion. Marth vs Mario. Marth has better range and kill potential. (Tip can kill as low as 70% if F-Smash tip depending on weight) Mario on the other hand has great combo potential, follow ups and fake outs.

Battle has just started and both of you are at your starting sections. You try to run up to Marth and grab him, but Marth Ftilts, so your options are to either block or spot dodge. If spot dodge, since Marth Ftitlts is still in motion, go for the grab and do as much follow ups. I prefer to start the battle by jumping high into a pivot fireball and short hop into another fireball and chase after it. Therefore there are two hitboxes chasing your enemy. The Marth player has an option of either shielding, jumping, or taking the flames. If Marth decides to jump, then read the jump and do an aerial. If he blocks go for the grab. If he takes the flames then still go for a grab and do as much follow ups. This will rack up damage. Although don't do this fireball method if you are to close to your opponent. You will suffer landing lag. This is great from a distance.

So sorry for the long response but I hope this helps.

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
Well since Mario has small reach, compare to the Fire Emblem Characters, he can still space them out. Use his fireballs and pivot fireball to space. I swear fireballs looks useless but it has such great properties. Also practice Mario's pivot Back Air. Its one of his GET THE F*CK OF ME kind of spacing. Since you say, you shield a lot, simply try not to. I know it sounds too simple, but the reason you are shielding a lot is because they are spacing you with their weapon.

Quite Frankly I think you worry about it too much so you rely on shielding. This is perfectly natural. Every player has their worrysome state. As a Mario main, swordsman and other longer reach characters have also concerned me. But as soon as you get use to the matchup, you will get comfortable with him. You start to have a plan in motion when you face a fighter who has better reach than you.

For example picture a battle in motion. Marth vs Mario. Marth has better range and kill potential. (Tip can kill as low as 70% if F-Smash tip depending on weight) Mario on the other hand has great combo potential, follow ups and fake outs.

Battle has just started and both of you are at your starting sections. You try to run up to Marth and grab him, but Marth Ftilts, so your options are to either block or spot dodge. If spot dodge, since Marth Ftitlts is still in motion, go for the grab and do as much follow ups. I prefer to start the battle by jumping high into a pivot fireball and short hop into another fireball and chase after it. Therefore there are two hitboxes chasing your enemy. The Marth player has an option of either shielding, jumping, or taking the flames. If Marth decides to jump, then read the jump and do an aerial. If he blocks go for the grab. If he takes the flames then still go for a grab and do as much follow ups. This will rack up damage. Although don't do this fireball method if you are to close to your opponent. You will suffer landing lag. This is great from a distance.

So sorry for the long response but I hope this helps.
Oh no problem at all! There's a lot of helpful stuff here. I've definitely learned to respect the power of the fire ball. I was facing a Shulk and as soon as I got the stock lead/ major percentage lead, all I did was use fire ball. Having experience as Wario, it definitely felt good to have a projectile against these match-ups.

My finals matches were against a Falcon and that's where I learned that I shielded too much; he kept grabbing me! I need to mix up my defensive options for sure, and spacing B-airs sounds like something worth trying! It's just something I need to practice. I'm already seeing pretty good results from just a little bit of labbing, so I'd like to see where I can take the character and vice versa. Thanks again for the advice!

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
Is there a video thread of tournament players like Ally and Anti?

edit: Like I know that there is a video thread pinned, but the tournament videos section is empty. Is there going to be videos put into that section?

Last edited:

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
Hi guys,

I need a back-up character for:4mario:. I struggle so much against:rosalina::4zss:(I think most Mario mains do struggle against them mostly). Who is good against these two? Give me a list of good characters that can do well against these two and I'll choose one of them. I prefer someone completely different from Mario in terms of playstyle since I want playstyle diversity.
Rosalina and ZSS are top tiers, what what better way to fight them with another top tier! Sheik is probably the character that can compete with them the most. But honestly, Mario's match ups vs. them aren't that bad, and I'm sure if you work on those match ups specifically you can come through with a win.

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
Yesterday I was facing a good Mario player and one thing bugged me: Sometimes he approached with NAir on shield, immediately followed up by the jab combo. The transition was so incredibly fast that I couldn't punish his NAir at all. Gladly, he didn't mixed that up with grabbing instead of jabbing, so I could punish the jab, but I'm wondering if NAis is punishable at all or if it is considered to be mostly safe except when the opponent shields the jab completely. If he would throw in some NAir -> Grab it would be quite tough, especially considering Mario's good Out-of-throw-options.
Nair isn't completely safe on shield, but it's kind of hard to punish because of how fast you can jab out of it. This is especially true if you play online. Usually nair can be punished with an OOS option like nair, usmash, or up-b (depending on your character) as long as you do it right when he hits you.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Rosalina and ZSS are top tiers, what what better way to fight them with another top tier! Sheik is probably the character that can compete with them the most. But honestly, Mario's match ups vs. them aren't that bad, and I'm sure if you work on those match ups specifically you can come through with a win.
Thank you, I appreciate it. Also, be careful of triple posts without editing. XD You might get warned for that. I just gonna solo main Mario straight up. I don't want Sheik to be honest even though I love the character. XD

Ryoshin

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Mario mains!

I've dabbled in Mario for quits some time and after several hours in the lab, I've decided thatMario is going to be my main squeeze. In most MU I do alright, but ive come to hit a wall recently vs DK. I just cant get the kill. I often find myself eith a decent % racked up but edge guarding him never seems to pan out, as his Up+B slaps me out of range almost every time. What do you guys do to get the finish?

Joushi

Smash Rookie
What do you guys do to get the finish?
Cape is really good at stopping his up special, even if you trade it still pushes him in the other direction. Other than that, if you've let him get into up special already, a fast-fall-fair is a solid option since there is no hitbox on top of DK's recovery.

I like to jump far off and nair dk (even if it's a weak hit). This will often snuff jumps and, since DK's vertical recovery is rather poor, often nets kills. Just be careful of DK's own fairs though.

Onyx_Ink21

Smash Rookie
Cape is really good at stopping his up special, even if you trade it still pushes him in the other direction. Other than that, if you've let him get into up special already, a fast-fall-fair is a solid option since there is no hitbox on top of DK's recovery.

I like to jump far off and nair dk (even if it's a weak hit). This will often snuff jumps and, since DK's vertical recovery is rather poor, often nets kills. Just be careful of DK's own fairs though.
I agree with Joushi. Since DK has a bad recovery, you know he won't be able to go far from the stage. Therefore you bait the cape or even scare him to using his Up B. When you get this down packed it is so much fun. Cape is like sending the person into another dimension! lol

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
Hi. I picked up Mario about a month ago. And I was wondering what are the most important things a Mario should learn to do?

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if you guys know any Mario combos which are effective against lightweight characters like Kirby, Peach, Mr. Game and Watch etc?

Down throw -> up-a only works once until they jump or aerial dodge out of it. I don't know any other moves that can transition from that attack. Up-air doesn't work from it either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Yo, picked up the character as a joke but I'm starting to get really into him. I was wondering if there's a guide or thread which talks about Mario's jab lock set-ups? I've been hearing people say that he has some pretty cool stuff but haven't been able to find anything from my own research. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Is Mario's Uthrow > Dair combo a truly legit combo? While reviewing a match I had on twitch, I oversaw someone saying that I don't seem to know that his Uthrow combos aren't true, and I wanted to make sure he was right.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Is Mario's Uthrow > Dair combo a truly legit combo? While reviewing a match I had on twitch, I oversaw someone saying that I don't seem to know that his Uthrow combos aren't true, and I wanted to make sure he was right.
Technically it's not. There's a gap between the last and second last hit of Dair. You need a really fast button (think airdodge works as well) to get out of it though. 3 frame moves work.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that moves with invincibility (again, I think frame 3 or earlier) can break through dair as well.

Last edited:

AegonTheConqueror

Smash Rookie
Any of you Mario mains know how to do that dash turnaround Up-Smash that Ally does alot? He'll run towards the opponent and he'll do a Up-Smash in front of them but facing the other way. Its kind of like a reverse aerial rush. Thanks!

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Any of you Mario mains know how to do that dash turnaround Up-Smash that Ally does alot? He'll run towards the opponent and he'll do a Up-Smash in front of them but facing the other way. Its kind of like a reverse aerial rush. Thanks!
That's a jump cancelled up smash. During the pivot/turnaround, input a jump at or around the same time as an up smash and it should result in a reversed up smash. Mario does have an easy time with it since his pivot lasts long so if you have trouble getting it wait until you see him facing the opposite direction during the pivot then quickly input a jump and an up smash then work on getting it just slightly earlier..

For input reference..
:GCR::GCR: > :GCL: > :GCX:/:GCY: / (or custom jump button) > quickly into:GCU:+:GCA:

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How does one utilize Dair properly? I tend to ascend with shorthops and then do whatever. But I think some players shorthop fastfall it and link into a grab.

I'm looking for more uses for the attack.

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
Can someone give me tips on the Yoshi vs Mario matchup? I'd appreciate any input. It's been giving me quite a bit of trouble.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
How does one utilize Dair properly? I tend to ascend with shorthops and then do whatever. But I think some players shorthop fastfall it and link into a grab.

Bit late on this one but I've been using it as a mix-up for FF Nair then into jab and trying to combo it off if U throw when given the chance (but I usually just go for the Dthrow combo because options are better) tbh though Dair had been slipping away in my usage levels to the point where it's my second not as used move (first is FLUDD..)

Don't have much on the Yoshi mu because I haven't played in a while on account of losing smash somewhere..
I have no idea how or what to practice.
Just started maining him a month ago.
The Best place to start is to find someone to play and use Mario to the extent of your knowledge. Then save the replay regardless of the outcome and watch it to view what you could have done differently, or things that you can improve upon. You never know what you need to practice until you see the whole thing in action.

There's also trying to get used to some of his Advanced moves like the jump cancelled reversed up smash so you know how to utilize them if there's a situation that they can be used in as the most effective option.

Zack117

Smash Rookie
Well since Mario has small reach, compare to the Fire Emblem Characters, he can still space them out. Use his fireballs and pivot fireball to space. I swear fireballs looks useless but it has such great properties. Also practice Mario's pivot Back Air. Its one of his GET THE F*CK OF ME kind of spacing.
How exactly does pivot-fireball and -bair look like and what's the execution?

I could only think of B reversal fireballs and retreating bairs or RAR. But those are all aerial options. Pivot refers to grounded options only AFAIK.

Mokeyo

Smash Rookie
I really don't recommend relying on RAR bairs to space out swordies, it extends his hurtbox as well as his hitbox making him an easy target for a forward tilt. I think fireballs get a little overrated in sword matchups so my main recommendation is to maintain a distance with your opponent that's just a bit further than the length of their sword attacks and mixing up your approaches with shielding, nairs and grabs to keep them guessing when to play on the defensive.

Also get a feel for using reverse up smashes - it's a great move in general but particularly against spacing characters considering when the move ends Mario's head returns upright making it harder to punish.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Can someone give me tips on the Yoshi vs Mario matchup? I'd appreciate any input. It's been giving me quite a bit of trouble.
I am a very unoptimal player,so my advice might not be the golden standard. But I used to hate the Yoshi mu, but after learning a couple tricks I've come to terms with it.
1. Spaced Bair is the only aerial I feel I can challenge Yoshi with. He always feels like he has so much priority.
2. I'm not very good at killing opponents, but I can edgeguard and gimp pretty well. Yoshi's super armor DJ was pretty annoying. One surefire way I have to gimp Yoshi is running off and hitting him with the bottom of Dair without letting the strong hit that pops them up connect. Do that during or right before they use their DJ and they should linger and then just drop.
3. Another strength of Yoshi is his ridiculous air speed that can make his spacing game pretty fierce. This tip can apply to other troublesome air speed characters like Lucas. CAPE. Cape in neutral to send them way further away than a normal air speed character would be sent. It at least makes them think twice about just slinging past you with moves. It's also a stronger edgeguarding option against them because some Yoshis try to armor DJ onto the stage but you could sling them back out without a DJ. Against Lucas that would send him out backwards, forcing an easily edgeguardable Up B instead of tether.

That's all I got. Good luck

Megamang

Smash Lord

Kills off the top surprisingly early. The timing of the last hit is especially nice for baiting out airdodges and killing someone, especially the characters Mario is faster than in the air (a lot of them).

My question is: What are some % range for Mario's uair -> dair and uair-> SJP kill confirms? I can sometimes follow and get a dair at the ceiling, but I never can link into it properly/ it doesn't feel like a confirm.

EDIT: Also... can you not B-reverse fludd? I could see this being super OP, so it makes sense. (B reversed fludd offstage would be a living nightmare for everyone.) Or maybe I just suck at inputs heh

Last edited:
Top Bottom