• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to hatch a healthy Yoshi: A Yoshi guide

King Kong

Smash Lord
rmusgrave said:
Lmao nice. I'm up for the challenge if you're willing to have the same one for DK ^__^

Or in song..

Deeee Kaaaaaaaaay

I'll stop there I think. I've embarassed myself enough already XD
My Dk is so very very average.

Im not liking my Yoshi either latley.

peace out

Shuriken

Smash Apprentice
Sick yoshi guide =O
dunno if this has been mentioned, or if i just missed it, but you can do something similar to yoshi's up+b ledge regrab with his down+b. it makes up for lack of being able to drop down off the ledge and double jump back on to reset, and its a bit easier and less risky than the egg throw regrab.
Also for the "learning to edge egg" part i learned on the ledge with ground below it in corneria, saves a lot of dying time.
good job

YosNess-64

Smash Rookie
hey man, you did it!! Congratulations.
All I have to say is "Im a good yoshi player in my PJ64 and not so good in SSBM; but some of your techniques must be very good."
I still have a lot to learn in my PJ64, like the "egg shield total cancelation" (when you put your shield with a little tap and yoshi just moves his hands cancelling whatever) , but I'm gonna try harder to put my very own techniques and strategies here.

Farewell.

friosmash@yahoo.com

King Kong

Smash Lord
(Breaks into a moody balland in A Minor)

When I ventured down to Sydney
I though all would be the same
But little did I realise you had improved your game
I though that I had Yoshi skills
But sadly i was wrong
For you showed me just how very far your Yoshi's come along
Tails did sweep and eggs were thrown, one Yoshi did remain
The green yoshi stood victorious, the yellow was a stain

In short Bringer owned my Yoshi HARD.

But I got you good in DK dittos :)

See ya next tournament

peace out

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, I didn't win all the dittos with Yoshi. Just as you didn't win all the dittos with DK ^_^.

At any rate, your Yoshi is definitely good, but my experience let me win more approaches and my combo practice let me combo you better. Don't get discouraged, I'm scared of your Yoshi progress, and if you keep it up you'll definitely remain a worthy Yoshi challenge =D

I just realised yesterday the amazing sexiness of d-tilt on Peach. It's scarily abusable when she's grounded.

Erusmors

Smash Apprentice
Man, I wish I were in Australia so I could take you on, Bringer. It'd be great to play against a Yoshi such as yours, I need the practice. And the challenge, too. Plus, I've always wanted to go to Australia. And Psycroptic and Stargazer are from Austalia, too.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never heard of them >_>

If you are actually planning to travel down at some point, keep your eyes posted on the International Community in Regional Zones. Later this year we should be having a big tourny. (Well, big for Australia anyway XD)

DokturSea

Smash Lord
rmusgrave said:
Hey, I didn't win all the dittos with Yoshi. Just as you didn't win all the dittos with DK ^_^.

At any rate, your Yoshi is definitely good, but my experience let me win more approaches and my combo practice let me combo you better. Don't get discouraged, I'm scared of your Yoshi progress, and if you keep it up you'll definitely remain a worthy Yoshi challenge =D

I just realised yesterday the amazing sexiness of d-tilt on Peach. It's scarily abusable when she's grounded.
EVERYTHING is scarily abusable when of Peach's moves.

Nice guide, btw.

Erusmors

Smash Apprentice
rmusgrave said:
I've never heard of them >_>

If you are actually planning to travel down at some point, keep your eyes posted on the International Community in Regional Zones. Later this year we should be having a big tourny. (Well, big for Australia anyway XD)
Man, if only I could find some way to get to Australia right now. At the moment, though, I'm only 16 and I have no real feasible medium of travelling across the world =/

DokturSea

Smash Lord
rmusgrave said:
DokturSea, I was talking about using Yoshi's dtilt being used on Peach. >_>
Well duh. I knew that.

>>

<<

Really. I was testing you. You passed. Three gold stars.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Excellent guide, I love it. Just wish there was a movie tutorial on how to do this because some on these things I would like to see how it's done in an animation. =) Hopefully you can do this.

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this BringerofDeath... when I read the guide, i was "why didn't I think of that" and "I never knew that was possible" every five seconds. I've got to start practicing...

Crazyfingers

Smash Apprentice
"Falcon’s best move for you to CC is his Raptor Boost (forward B). For some reason, the launching effect of this attack is fairly weak, so if you can CC it, you should be able to retaliate into combo or KO moves."

You know, i've tried this many times...but i always get launched into the air from that move (or thrown down when i'm holding down). I dont think you can CC that move....in the NTSC version atleast.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Hey Bringer, do you have any data on the different angles of Yoshis F-smash? I was just wondering if the Up-Angled one might have more knockback similar to Marios or whatever.

The different angles arnt very pronounced but i've been trying to use the Down-Angled F-smash to catch sweetspotters, could work.

Sorry if this is already in the guide i just couldnt find it.

peace out

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
thanks for the Yoshi guide BringerOfDeath,It really helped me understand the good and bad matchups with yoshi,keep up the good work

marthsword

Smash Ace
Amazazazazazing! I'm trying out yoshu, and seeing if he fits me. I could replace my 4th main, jiggs with him. Maybe better than that. + rep.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
That's a great guide. I already mained Yoshi before, and the only thing I didn't know about was the Double Jump Cancel. It was very interesting to hear the pros and cons, and I am glad that Yoshi has more pros than cons!

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
ive read this guide a few times actually.....it was the first thread i read on this forum when i came here...and i just came back today cuz i was looking for something......a character matchup for yoshi v. samus......you should add that in there

some other yoshi's including me have trouble with samus so some tips would be great

technomancer

Smash Champion
Spam-Samus is tough; I'd defer to Bringer because my crewmate dropped Samus awhile ago. You can duck under most missiles if they don't get them low, so definatly use that to your advantage. SH Dair is a reasonable approach, it'll beat out her sex kick. Juggling is pretty much limited to eggs and chasing her around with upsmashes, because her D-air is pretty beast and her bombs are fruity.

Samus also has your crappy grab and a slow air game so while she's in the air, use your wavedash to position yourself and then try to roll behind her for the downsmash.

Edgeguarding Samus is sooooooooo fun. If she tries to bomb recover, you can do about 30% worth of damage with eggs and aggravate her by zerging her bombs lol, but that probably won't kill her, and the real fun comes when she's trying to sweetspot.

Samus has two options for recovery: Grapple, and Up-B. When she's close to the stage, she's probably just going to up-B. Basically if you get the idea that this is the plan, start dtilting as a mindgamez, then instant edgehog her, and immediately roll up and forward smash. Mostly you'll get the kill off the edgehog.

If she triest to grapple, IH her again, because she'll likely go after the sweetspot. This time just do a ledge stand, and crouch cancel her attack into a down or upsmash, whichever you feel is appropriate, and go from there. Not 100% foolproof, but most Samuses will hop up with a forward air or neutral air and you can CC both just fine. You can also dtilt her out of her rising grapple and do the Instant-hog->smash just fine, and if you're confused, just go for the dtilt.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Dude, can I hire you to fight Samus' in tourney for me?

How about this? You fight Samus' for me--I'll take Marths, Falcos, and Sheiks for you. Whaddaya say?

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Nice guide, it really helped me a lot.

If you want to practice edge cancelled eggs, edge -> waveland or hip drop -> edge, I suggest doing so in Hyrule Temple, on the edge to the left of the area where you respawn. It has the advantage of not dying when you fall (like Corneria), but unlike Corneria, the stage to which the edge belongs has a flat ground and there is no ship that's moving up and down to throw your timing off. Just make sure to try a left-bound edge once you've got the timing about right, or you might find yourself having a hard time doing it on the edge that you didn't practice on.

Also, for the DJL right after jumping, I found out that the timing isn't as bad if you just lay your thumb on both the X and Y button and the just roll over them so that the X button is pressed slightly before the Y button. I know that this might not be new to you but since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere and only recently found out myself, I thought I'd tell you in case somebody doesn't know yet (been trying to press X button 2 times really quick before, which is quite difficult). I could imagine being able to do it consistently with that method and a bit of practice, like that, it would be a nice way to rapidly change the direction when running.

technomancer

Smash Champion
:yoshi: Dude, can I hire you to fight Samus' in tourney for me?

How about this? You fight Samus' for me--I'll take Marths, Falcos, and Sheiks for you. Whaddaya say?
Deal haha. We have Aho, Tru=, KM, Plairnkk, Frozen, etc. up here so you better start practicing.

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
so I main Yoshi now, and well i have really done well and I pretty much get people mad, because their all like " I dont know how to fight a Yoshi!" "yoshi is weird"

etc....but I am kicking azz man...YOSHI ROCKS! lol, I know I am never changing my main...I love all the combos you can link with him! ^.^

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Thanks for this guide. I plan to try out Yoshi and hopefully make him another main. I hhave around 7 mains [it sounds crazy but at least I can counter pick just about any character in the game due to my versatility] including ICs, Samus and Fox so I can handle slow/fast, weak/strong characters fairly well.

I'll try him out against my scrub friends tomorrow, they'll probably call me crazy for playing as him but whatever.

:yoshi: ftw

pi3

Smash Apprentice
i just recently started to play yoshi when i almost beat rage wit my yoshi

this guide helps a lot
now rage wont stand a chance=]

Top Bottom