• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to hatch a healthy Yoshi: A Yoshi guide

King Kong

Smash Lord
I agree.

DSH aerials are something I havnt been doing all that long and i'm not very consistant with them in real matches, but when they do work they seem to work very well.

As for the DJ retaliation..... I guess thats Yoshi's biggest advantage isnt it? Being able to increase his weight by so much seems an advantage that hasnt really been utelised yet.

Peace out

Straight

Smash Journeyman
aho - DSH aerial= Double Short Hop aerial, or Short Hop Double aerial which is when you do two aerials during one short hop.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
King Kong, it wouldn't be uber, it would just be good. It effectively gives you a CC in mid-air. That allows you to punish with an aerial move instead of a grounded one. I guess it's considerably better than the CC, because you can land moves like f-air and b-air afterwards, leading to some nice combos.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Well, when you consider that most characters approach with shuffled aerials then you have a counter to most approaches. You can basically trade hit for hit and come off better for it, i guess you are forcing your opponent to come up with a substitute approach to the shuffled aerial by doing DJ counters.

Besides... why use it defensively?. In my opinion yoshis defence game is perfectly fine. Its the offensive part thats letting him down, when not use it to approach instead?

Powershield jumping on the other hand....... that sounds tricky, something i will have to try.

Dude, you make me not want to quit smash and work on Yoshi.... I reckon if your still into smash later next year i might head off to perth for a holiday, that would be fun and i'd get to expirience smash on the other side of australia.

Peace out

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's when you jump the other way around and throw an egg. It's hard but not impossible. King Kong saw me do 1 at SEAT2 I think lol.

Don't feel pressured into anything King Kong, but it'd be awesome to see you here. Jon was thinking of coming himself, maybe we could make it a joint thing.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Yeah, I saw you do two actually :)

i dont think i got more than two or three off myself. i kind of suck when people are watching me.

Jons going over? That sounds cool, i'd love to come over before the smash scene dies completely.

Peace out

Serkan

Smash Cadet
<Insert Lame Signature about being somewhere st
Firstly, Shieks main move running A doesn't reach that far, while Yoshi moves his head back with his fsmash easily defeating Shiek.
In both cases however with Marth and Shiek i think the egg bomb is overlooked, as well as alot of Yoshi's aerial attacks. For instance Yoshi's forward A spike in the air is not only for spiking and when you hit Marth on the ground, it will take him up so that you can up smash him and then egg bomb. Try it, it's a good combo that does the damage and takes your opponent a fair bit away.

D1

Banned via Administration
Yup after some intense practice and reading and watching and practice I'm confident enough to try to pull Yoshi at the next tourney I attend hopefully I represent for all the Yoshi's that try to break the tier barrier.

We sure as hell could stand w/ the likes of the high or mid tiers...YOSHI FOR LIFE SON!

:yoshi:

P.S.-But if I face a CG spamming Shiek I may be forced to use my other main Fox since I'd have a better chance...but I'd go Yoshi first to see how I fare.

Svampen

Smash Ace
<--- Bringer @ Svampen's house

D1, if he's gonna go Sheik first match, better to go Fox first match. Don't wanna lose the first match of a set just cos you wanna test if your Yoshi can take Sheik... be merciless and make him not use Sheik, then counter with Yoshi when he loses ^^.

That's if you know he's gonna choose Sheik first match in the set though. >_> Have to use uber mindgames to tell if he is or not lol ^^

D1

LMAO @ "uber mindgames" anyhow thanks I guess that'll make more sense.

I accidentally power-shielded a Shield grab from a Shiek at a recent smashfest I attended last weekend that sh** was sweet I never knew Yoshi could do that. I'm startin to get faster at doin DJC'ed nairs and uairs to I'm doing Fumi combos like crazy now!

Yoshi's so much fun! ^^

I need more Yoshi vids for more inspiration! Even tho I'm tryin out stuff on my own like egg combos into w/e its always good to see how pro Yoshi's handle top tiers.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Ahh crap, totally sucks to be both state side AND east coast... I would really be honored if you would PWN my Yoshi game. =P I wanna have Yoshi as my main, and I work at him, but I'm having real trouble with the high tier matches tourney level, and being as N00B as I am, i refrain from using him in fear of wasting 15 bucks a tourney. >.< Life as a wanna be Yoshi main is tough, aye?

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Find a low tier tournament and play Yoshi there if you're that nervous

and I heard that Baltimore has the highest HIV/AIDs rate in the US for major city
it's suppose to be like 20%

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
I'm actually going to throw a low tier tourney ASAP, trying to rent a church hall is tough when you punched an alter boy >.> I don't know how big it'll be, and when it'll be, but I'd hope to get as many Yoshi players as possible... STILL not really worth it for any one whose not in the imediate area.

Although the second part is completely WEIRD, it is true... We Unfortunately also have murders and crime NUMBERS rivaling New York city which has someting like ten times more people. If you wanna learn more about how crappy B more is PM me, so we don't have to waste this good thread's space any more than I just did =P K?

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
It'll be some where in B more, i'm havign my mom gank some church place she works for =P PROBABLY (but I'm not sure) it'll be free... So it'd be pretty fun =P

D1

Question I've seen a vid on Fumi's site where he sits and blocks Kirby's rapid A jabs but the thing is this its not the normal block its the block where u hear the THUD (PowerShielding?) so anyway to make a long story short he powershielded all the jabs until his shield broke which took at least 30 seconds. When I saw that I just had to scratch my head in bewilderment...does that mean Yoshi has an answer against Falco's pillar? Is there a way to do this consistently?

well thats all for now anyone w/ answer help meh please.

*runs off*

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
he was probably light shielding
which is holding L or R lightly(not all the way down)
or z ;)
it looks different on other characters, but Yoshi's looks the same(mind games =D )

Straight

Smash Journeyman
Yo D1, can you link where you saw that vid? I dont think I have seen it before. My AIM is TRASHLIVER1 if you want to send it that way. thx :lick:

-Gabe

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
he was probably light shielding
which is holding L or R lightly(not all the way down)
or z
it looks different on other characters, but Yoshi's looks the same(mind games =D )
exactly what I was trying to say except explained! Good man lol

D1

So far toughest Yoshi matchup on NTSC Shiek/Falco now...Peach and Samus...ehh...less and less w/ practice and experience...even Marth could suck it : D

:yoshi: FTW!!!

D1

hey Bringer maybe u should update on the attributes of dair if L canceled properly...you could get a free utilt/downsmash/dtilt/ftilt/or jabjab

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I should update a lot of things. A good example would be how 2 edge eggs into a d-air from the edge will break someone's shield. I did it to Mr Silver's Ganon, was pretty funny.

BETA

Smash Ace
D1 said:
So far toughest Yoshi matchup on NTSC Shiek/Falco now...Peach and Samus...ehh...less and less w/ practice and experience...even Marth could suck it : D

:yoshi: FTW!!!
Sheik I agree, but Falco? I can hold my own against the Falcos in my crew, who have been playing this game competitively only a month more than me.

I also think that Link is a bad matchup for Yoshi. Had more range, about the same speed, more priority, and good enough power to knock Yoshi out of his double jump at certain percentages.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Flaco fast falls... I'm not even that great of a yoshi and I noticed how good he is against like, falco and fox... The D tilt on the edge and everything =P

Link's bombs can ruin Yoshi's jump too, can't they?

Jafs

Smash Rookie
rmusgrave....thank you!!!!!

I started playing Yoshi in my crew as soon as i joined them. I sucked. they all wanted me to play one of those 'easier' high tier characters, but i wouldn't. Now i'm getting better and actually can give some of these guys a run for their money. i don't win much but.....oh well. I'm getting there.

Anyway thanks again for the guide.

P.S. Is Blue Yoshi taken yet? :p

D1

Question if I'm just sittin there and blocking w/ Yoshi and an opponent attacks an I hear that "THUD" sound am I able to jump out of my shield and attack? I just thought about it since basically its powershielding an attack even tho Yoshi had his shield up for a few seconds (randomly Yoshi PS'es even tho his shield has been up beforehand) would I be granted the option of jumpin outta my shield at that moment?

Dumb question...but if true I think I should start lookin out for that and jumpin outta my shield when I see the moment he powershields an attack (not projectile cuz I could see that coming).

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I had always assumed you could, but I've never done it myself. Perhaps you can't 0_o.

Um, try it D1. He could jump out of his invincible shielding animation, but powershield? He doesn't even powershield during his shielding animation.. so I dunno >_>.

D1

u mean initial shielding animation or u mean while shielding?

I find at weird times while just holding block and sitting still if I get attacked I hear a thud sound...u saw the Fumi vids where he just sat and shielded and a Kirby gave him the rapid As like hell n he powershielded everyone of 'em...

...soooo whaddya mean?

BETA

Smash Ace
Easier method for using reverse edge cancelled eggs.

Might as well put this on the guide thread.

I've found that when reverse edge cancelling eggs, it's far easier to press back very, very slightly, then X or Y. Then up+B of course.

It's easier to do that than to press down and slightly back, then X or Y.

When I say "press back very, very slightly", I mean less than even when you want to use your tongue backwards. Do you guys think we can get used to this combination?

Top Bottom