• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to hatch a healthy Yoshi: A Yoshi guide

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
I'm Just kidding just wanted to see if anyone would reply lol. But i read this guide you all sound like pretty good yoshi's especially Musgrave. Very good Guide mus.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Personally I think down on an angle would be easier to do than slightly angling the joystick. This is simply because once you learn the angle, it's done. But if you try to slightly angle the joystick, it's quite easy to move it slightly too much or not enough at all. I like the idea of moving the joystick as far as it can go, but on a certain angle personally.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Edge Eggroll?

Wonderful guilde. I learned a few tricks to add to my arsenal. I have found a possible new trick too: While I was practicing Edge Eggs, I tried the Egg roll just as i got above the ledge. The egg gripped right onto the edge (without the usual bounce) and sped ahead. Perhaps this could be used for recovering surprisingly? Ill have to test its effectivesness, but it might give the egg roll a decent purpose!

D1

Banned via Administration
The |Egg| Sniper said:
Wonderful guilde. I learned a few tricks to add to my arsenal. I have found a possible new trick too: While I was practicing Edge Eggs, I tried the Egg roll just as i got above the ledge. The egg gripped right onto the edge (without the usual bounce) and sped ahead. Perhaps this could be used for recovering surprisingly? Ill have to test its effectivesness, but it might give the egg roll a decent purpose!
Sry bud, he actually covered this in his guide and most decent Yoshi players know about it already. Coolest use for this is when using an ECE and it pops the opponent up, if u reverse egg roll then push the stick in the direction of the stage you blaze at ur opponent and combo them! It looks pretty neat try that sh** son!!!

*edit*

Also its not good to be to predictable w/ egg rolling onto the stage (from the ledge I'm speaking) b/c you could easily get smashed out of it.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
oops n_n;

I skimmed the guide really...so yeah, I missed it probably. The only problem I have with the reverse egg roll is that they could prep a upsmash on me while I'm falling. Depends on the situation, I suppose. I do use the Egg roll to get back on the stage, most of the time the opponent guards or gets hit when I land, so I speed out of the way.

Also, I was thinking of using the double jump's tanking ability to keep you from getting smashed before the Edge egg roll. Then again...there are probably better moves :D

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
I've not spent any time perfecting my rolling back onto the stage because of the other Yoshi players' stressing of how ineffective it is. Imo, you should work on getting the timing of your aerials coming back onto the stage after edge-canceling eggs down instead. You'll rack up more percent that way.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
Duke said:
A spike is any move that sends the opponent straight down (or atleast at a very low trajectery). A meteor smash is a specific spike that can be meteor cancelled. All meteor smashes are spikes; not all spikes are meteor smashes.
Yoshi's fair is a meteor attack, not a spike.

And at higher percentages Yoshi's second jump falls prey to becoming interrupted. I don't know when specifically, but I can safely say that it happens when above 100%.

SRDV

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to learn yoshi but some of this stuff isnt very clear. Is there any way you can make a yoshi tutorial vid?

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I said in my guide that if there's something wrong with it, anything at all, don't hesitate to tell me. What isn't clear about it SRDV? I do understand some things are easier to explain attached to a video, but is there anything where the explanation simply wasn't sufficient?

Thanks.

dmanwon

Smash Cadet
ty to the writer of this guide..
i have just started to be yoshi and already beating my friends best characters including shiek marth and ganon :)

i shall use these tactics as a way to further improve myself. thank you

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
wut attacks do u guys use if u have an opponent in an egg?

i sometimes try to use dair, but i get hit by an aerial.
cpu uses upB, doesnt seem 2 useful...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I go for a back-air.

It's your safest bet, and it can be spaced and DI'd in such a way that you can get your hits in and back off before the enemy bursts out with an aerial.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I must say...this is the best Yoshi guide ever. Yoshi is my main and I never even knew about some of the stuff inside this guide. If only I could WD consistently I could try alot of this stuff out on other people. I'm so psyched to practice these things!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: So, in my constant effort to deface every last top tier character that I can, I found something funny...

While I was practicing my stellar, exciting, and inspiring Yoshi the other day (I'm a DIRTY DIRTY LIAR by the way), I blasted my buddy, who was playing Captain Falcon at the time, with a forward-air on Yoshi's Story. It was a decent height in the air, but when he hit the side of the stage, he bounced off and flew off the screen at a 90° angle. It all happened in an instant. He claims he teched and up+B'd, and the force of the slam + his tech = insane ricochet angle. I'm still not sure, but it felt pretty awesome.

There, I'm done.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna be in my little corner over here, hoping to stop sucking at this game.

BETA

Smash Ace
redyoshi57 said:
hey any one got some good vids i really need some like a vid that shows you how to do **** like this vid with samus http://youtube.com/watch?v=VlO9_4neTRw
If I had a method of uploading, I could make one, but since I don't, try going on the hub and downloading some videos of Yoshi players. It's not too difficult to figure out how they do most of the stuff just by watching.

redyoshi57

Smash Apprentice
fairfield,ca but my hometown is the bronx ny
BETA said:
If I had a method of uploading, I could make one, but since I don't, try going on the hub and downloading some videos of Yoshi players. It's not too difficult to figure out how they do most of the stuff just by watching.
hey from where you have it on is it on youtube???????? if so i know a way to download it

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I read this guide a while ago but I feel quilty that I did not congratulate you for a great guide. I really wish more people played yoshi, he is such an awesome character and I think fumi demonstrates this VERY well. I am kinda waiting to see the results of all the character specific guides but I'll be patient. It was very well organized and it gives yoshi some justice.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
I started Yoshi only a few weeks ago, after leveling off with my Doc Mario and not appearing to improve any. That little green dinosaur is amazing. Although I have to say, your matchups don't really apply to me. My roommate plays Shiek and I give him a run for his money on just about every stage. The only problem I have is with Zelda. I think what it comes down to with Yoshi is utilizing mindgames to fake out and confuse the opponent, rather than some other characters who may or may not need mind games depending on the matchup. Needless to say, my roommate was pleasantly suprised when he found his beloved Shiek having a tough time with the Dino, and promptly corrected the problem with a few quick back and forward airs from Zelda. Great guide, and more importantly, great character. Yoshi is amazing, and I feel sorry for the poor smasher that underestimates him.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think you might find that Zelda's biggest disadvantage is her reliance on her f-air and b-air (and dash to a lesser extent). From what I've seen facing Zelda players, your best option is simply to crouch on the spot. Zelda can't really approach you while you're crouching, and that's the biggest advantage Yoshi can abuse in this matchup.

While crouching, the only moves Zelda can hit with are her forward and down smashes, f-air and b-air on a downwards approach and dash attack. Obviously, if you've restricted her options to just these, the mindgames can flow from here. Especially since, if she spaces her dash attack, f-air or b-air to sweetspot spacing, you can simply forward smash and punish Zelda from there.

Zelda has a sweet defense against Yoshi's approaches, particularly his aerial ones. Don't play into her hands, and the only move you really have to worry about becomes forward smash. Defensive play with eggs if she goes defensive is the way to go.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help. It's been awhile since I checked this thread, nice to know someone has taken the time to offer some help.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
I, too have had problems with my friend's Shiek/Zelda combo, particularly with the ridiculous grab physics she has. There are times when I've been BEHIND Shiek/Zelda, and she still manages to grab me by grabbing the other way. Almost every single game, it ends with me dying by a star KO due to a grab to upsmash then uAir, while he's at ~80% last life. About RDJCing. Is it possible to start out going forward, RDJC to turn around in the air, and use bair while keeping your original momentum? So like to fake out someone who thought you were going for a fair? I can turn around and bair, but that results in me stopping and moving in the other direction mostly.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Awesomest forum name I've seen in a while.

Anyway, I don't think you can keep your momentum after you RDJC. The most I've been able to do is to is regain momentum about halfway through the back-air. Maybe someone else who's better than me can get it, though. x_x

I tend not to get these things on the first couple go-rounds. I'll keep trying.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
cirius joqr, you spelt serious wrong in your sig =D

Have you tried using the c-stick Megaman X? I'm assuming your problem is that when you RDJC and then b-air, using the joystick to do the b-air results in a loss of momentum from your RDJC. If so, simply hold the direction you want to go with the joystick and use the c-stick for the aerial. This gives you maximum momentum.

ciRius j0Qr

Smash Journeyman
San Juan, Puerto Rico {Estudio en RUM so M mepuede
rmusgrave said:
cirius joqr, you spelt serious wrong in your sig =D

Have you tried using the c-stick Megaman X? I'm assuming your problem is that when you RDJC and then b-air, using the joystick to do the b-air results in a loss of momentum from your RDJC. If so, simply hold the direction you want to go with the joystick and use the c-stick for the aerial. This gives you maximum momentum.
Thanks for the correction

Im a noob on the vocabulary Wht is RdJC

King Kong

Smash Lord
*Breaks into loud broadway musical style singing*

Its been a while since last we did meet
As I walked into CATS place in from the street
You beat me then but its time for me to shine
The crown for the aussie Yoshi is ine oh mine!
Tails will sweep and eggs will be thrown
And when the dust settles one Yoshi stands alone
You beat at SEAT but its tiem for me to shine
At OHN5 the crown IS MINE........ OH......... MIIIIIINNNEE!

(God im lame)

hahahahah im gonna lose so bad, but what better way to issue a challenge than with a sweeping song? :)

peace out

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lmao nice. I'm up for the challenge if you're willing to have the same one for DK ^__^

Or in song..

Deeee Kaaaaaaaaay

I'll stop there I think. I've embarassed myself enough already XD

technomancer

Smash Champion
This is probably the best written guide on the site! Great job, hope the matchups get finished soon!

Top Bottom