• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much do you value the ability to play multiple characters???

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't have to be a matter of value, imo. I play multiple chars because it gets the job done for me.

this is excluding that I have more fun / am less bored if I have multiple chars that I am familiar w/

The Star King

Smash Hero
For tournament purposes, it's probably better to focus on one character, as long as that character doesn't have any absolute garbage match-ups. However, I personally have more respect people who can use multiple characters well. This is coming from someone who has put effort into being good with every character in Smash 64 (probably easier in Smash 64, though).

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
dangerous to start out playing a lot of chars, can hinder your ability to change your playstyle when you can just change your char
That's true, though I usually stick to my main (Doctor Mario) in friendlies which is where I practice changing my playstyle up. There are some match ups though like Marth where if I'm in a tourney and my Doc struggled in the first match it would be so much easier to switch to someone like Sheik to maximize my odds of getting to the next round. I always give Doc the first shot though. I guess I could try to master a character without any one-sided match ups but I love playing Doc too much

Superspright

Smash Lord
Ganon all day every day. Other characters don't exist. I never see them on the character select screen. It's all question marks except for the top right corner.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
I don't think my Pikachu would be as good as it is now if I didn't play Falco.
werd

I main g&w :reverse: but i think being able to play top/high tiers is what allowed me to learn/get better at the game most. Maybe it's because there's so much more material (vids, tourney vids, etc.) for these characters to learn from.

Hax

Smash Champion
focus on one character, but play others occasionally to learn their weaknesses and learn general things about the game. when i started melee i played sheik because she took very little techskill, yet i had to mindgame with her to win which made me a better player. once i became a smarter player, i had to work on my techskill so i played falco. i never planned to go pro with either of these characters; they were just tools in the grand scheme of making me a good falcon player.

as for actually competing with more than one character, i don't agree. aside from being a very desirable teams partner, you'll find that switching between characters in singles is gimmicky and banks on the opponent being significantly worse at one of the matchups you present them with. i don't think any of the current top pros have any glaringly bad matchups, especially not versus watered down characters (since you'll be playing more than 1 character at once, your individual characters won't be at their full potential).

godslafco

Smash Cadet
dangerous to start out playing a lot of chars, can hinder your ability to change your playstyle when you can just change your char
it makes me so sad whenever i see a video that says: Redd: (fox/falco/marth). sometimes i really do think that what 3 said is pretty applicable. i think a lot of times instead of making small adjustments that can make you win the next fight on a cp stage, you switch characters and start the process all over.

as for me: :ganondorf:

that is all.
I believe that having competence in multiple characters can be of value, gives you knowledge of limitations and ease of options for many of the situations that occur. Makes it a bit easier to figure out a character than just by watching it as you start to think less about what you saw and what you know that character can do....obviously in the hands of a master the options can change, or they can become equally as accessible, but that's for true masters of a character. Most people can't execute ever single option equally/naturally.

Mastering one character, like more than a few people have said, gives you depth that just can't be matched if you're playing multiple characters equally. Those seemingly difficult options become second nature, and play styles become more distinguished and easily accessed.

Personally I play a few characters, but I main only one. I like knowing what can be done, but I by no means will switch between characters in the middle of a set at a tournament.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i pay attention to the game and how people play it. i don't need to push the buttons myself to understand what kind of **** i'm in when i get shined by falco. in the time it takes me to learn and do the combos i clearly know are feasible by other characters, i could spend that time formulating ways around it with ganon.

other characters are fun to play though. when i play here in my home city rather than my college city, i don't play much ganon at all. they don't have very good DI so...things just die too easily and...yeah.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
If you have a big enough scene, you could play a single character each but with tons of different people, and it'd never get boring. Or at least for me.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I loooooove SS for teaching me falcon, hes the reason I play competitive melee today.
but, fox, marth, and other chars have very different styles, that help me to mix up or refresh my falcon mind game so its nice instead of tech chasing short hop kneeing as falcon, and waveshine turn around running fast pressure as fox.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
At this point and time I'm playing a lot of characters, because it's fun for me. I've played falco by far the most in tournaments, and I also play bowser, falcon, and ganon.

Fuss

Smash Apprentice
Pocket Fox <3

But eh I think sticking to one character instead of jumping back and forth between really helps you understand your character and push it further, but having an alternative character can always be helpful, not to mention fun. (:

Niko45

Smash Master
focus on one character, but play others occasionally to learn their weaknesses and learn general things about the game. when i started melee i played sheik because she took very little techskill, yet i had to mindgame with her to win which made me a better player. once i became a smarter player, i had to work on my techskill so i played falco. i never planned to go pro with either of these characters; they were just tools in the grand scheme of making me a good falcon player.

as for actually competing with more than one character, i don't agree. aside from being a very desirable teams partner, you'll find that switching between characters in singles is gimmicky and banks on the opponent being significantly worse at one of the matchups you present them with. i don't think any of the current top pros have any glaringly bad matchups, especially not versus watered down characters (since you'll be playing more than 1 character at once, your individual characters won't be at their full potential).
I totally agree. I do think it's gimmicky.

In general I find that if someone plays multiple characters that's cool, but I don't find it particularly impressive. Once you're good at the game it's not very difficult to translate the skills across characters, especially good characters. Maybe if the person is formidable in tourney with multiple harder or unconventional characters like Ganon or Peach who obviously take a ton of time and effort to become good with. But like, someone who can play sheik + fox + falco in tournament is not anymore impressive than someone who can play only peach or something as far as I'm concerned. The best characters are super easy to pick up and become at least respectable with without putting in a ton of effort to learn them.

I'm much more interested in a person who pushes a single character to a unique level or to a point where they have a unique style and do much more than just the generic standard stuff that average players will do with the character (like say stomp knee or nair up air knee with falcon or something).

Plus people who have multiple characters like that will basically at all times be playing even or better matchups if they choose to. Honestly, I think it would take me very little time to learn how to play fox vs sheik to the point where my fox rivals my marth in terms of how it fairs against sheik, but **** that. :D

I don't mean to knock people who play multiple chars I don't find them less impressive just not EXTRA impressive.

Delaro

Smash Cadet
I think having multiples main is very usefull, it help when your character is against a to hard matchup ( ex: Dr. Mario vs Peach) and because every character is different it helps you gather different ways of playing and ameliorate your tech, spacing and mind games.

Top Bottom