• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how many people use kirby's down B in battle?

Masterplum

Smash Apprentice
I want to know how other people use this besides recovering. I've seen alot of videos and not very many people use it. I use it for defense such as when you're about to get fsmashed or something you can just down B to block it and then fair or bair out of it as oppose to grabbing which may do less damage.

I also like to surprise non-projectile spamming characters by approaching them but instead of going in for an attack I use down B about where they will rolldodge towards me to dodge the attack they think I'm going to make, which most people do, then they get hit by down B and i can follow up with up B or B.

I also use it for edgegaurding.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i like to use it to edgeguard, especially against characters u have a vertical upB which makes aiming Kirby's downB easier. Also its great against characters u like to charge attacks below u. i use it at random to mix my moves up and keep my opponent guessing what i'll do next

Masterplum

Smash Apprentice
ya I do that too like when I'm launched upward I'll sometimes use down B to make them dodge and then stop it close to the ground and follow up with a hammer

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
i like using it when I'm launched high in the air. Especially as a recovery tool to get to stage level and then use my hammer, jumps, of final cutter. Kirby has one of if not the best recovery in my opinion. Throw in the rock form and inhale to threaten your opponent and you have one un-gimpable puff ball.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
i like using it when I'm launched high in the air. Especially as a recovery tool to get to stage level and then use my hammer, jumps, of final cutter. Kirby has one of if not the best recovery in my opinion. Throw in the rock form and inhale to threaten your opponent and you have one un-gimpable puff ball.
*cough*ROBandMK*cough*

I occasionally use Down B on the ground since it sends shockwaves but really there's normally better choices. It's just fun to use every once in a while.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Like many people say, it can be hit fairly well with mindgames. I like choosing Pokemon Stadium 1 because there are lots of places where it is easy to hit with the stone. The stone also owns those agressive Metaknights that will try to UpB you at every chance.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I like it for stopping my horizontal trajectory when flying off the stage, cycling back to the stage from high above, punishing vertical recovery, and punishing lag. With all that, it is still situational.

I think a shield is better than Stone when on the ground, though.

I must say, if anyone asked this on the SSBM Kirby forum, I would have laughed.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
*cough*ROBandMK*cough*
Someone discovered how to Metacide?

But yeah, they're super hard to attack offstage.

On topic: When someone gets too predictable in chasing me up in the air, I'll Stone in their faces. Mix it up with air dodges and dairs.

I've never used Stone on the ground. Just that there's no opportunities.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I use it for the occasional edgeguard and hope they get Stage Spiked. Usually it ends up with them dieing off the top <_<;

Oh yeah, and Pictochat+Glitched Edge=Why not?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i like to use it to edgeguard, especially against characters u have a vertical upB which makes aiming Kirby's downB easier. Also its great against characters u like to charge attacks below u. i use it at random to mix my moves up and keep my opponent guessing what i'll do next
I'm the same, though I don't use it to edgeguard all that often. I've gotten good at using it pretty unpredictably, my favorite is to use it at nearly point-blank range when nobody expects it.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Its also great to use for opponents that go upwards towards you in order to try and kill you (metaknight shuttle loop =D)

oh and it can be good on ROBs when they are using their boosters since they can't airdodge ^^

But yes people generally expect it less when you are either close to them or off the top of the screen.

THE BEST THING EVER: use stone when your off the top of the screen and the tv has NO SOUND!!!!

(I killed a fox 3 times with downb on a tv with no sound because he never could tell when I was stone form and kept trying to uair me off the screen. I thiought of this while being annoyed about the lack of sound lols)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
THE BEST THING EVER: use stone when your off the top of the screen and the tv has NO SOUND!!!!

(I killed a fox 3 times with downb on a tv with no sound because he never could tell when I was stone form and kept trying to uair me off the screen. I thiought of this while being annoyed about the lack of sound lols)
You'd think he would learn...

Was it at a tourney?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This move is so freaken good. Only time I use this move is when I'm too far in the Air then fool my foes of thinking I'm going to land on the ground, then Back-Air them to death. XD And when they see it, I change it up to be less predictable. And the Stone Kirby to the edge is a great idea and it helps a lot due to Kirby having a lot of jumps.

Percon

Smash Lord
Situational, yes, but usable... I use it to punish poor spacing, certain recoveries, and people charging moves.

Also, very rarely, but sometimes, I'll use it when on the ground (many people seem unaware of it's ground hitbox)

Joyblossom

Smash Rookie
I use down B every time Im knocked up in the air. I fly over my opponent and then use stone kirby. It a really good move to use. Each time it hits, it gives the person 15% damage and it can easily KO opponents with high damage. Stone kirby can also be useful against Mario, Caption Falcon, Ganondorf, Sonic, Pikachu, and Pit's final smashes if used at the right time and if sonic and pikachu dont hover over you until you turn back to normal.

SuperJudas

Smash Cadet
its a pretty punishable move but it surprises ppl when you use it when your off screen, also if someone rolls behind you you can usually knock them one if you use it quick enough

storm92

Smash Ace
I usually use it to edgeguard or punish people who are charging an Usmash, readying a Utilt, or sometimes even trying to come up and Uair me. Time it correctly so they don't have the time to shield and you've got a nice, safe hit in. If you hit, the knockback pretty much makes it unpunishable.
Using the aerial hammer out of the rock in mid-air also catches plenty of opponents off guard because they see you transforming, go to punish, then get smacked with the hammer.

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
I would only use it to defend if my opponent would use a projectile from farther away because when Kirby takes about a second to transform he is still vulnerable to attacks. Also if my opponent approaches after the attack, I will go out of rock form and use hammer.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
I use it for edge guarding as well and to switch it up from to time when coming down to the level. Oh and I use it to back up enemies and surprise em with hammer sometimes if i know ic an hit em.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. I thought somehow (I have no idea why...) down b is much better in SSBB than in SSBM. Probably my imagination. Nevertheless it's a useful move for surprising opponents and particularly useful in boss battles in single player (though air dodging is probably more practical)

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
It is better, since theres both less start up lag and less ending lag. Oh and it has 2 hit boxes now which I'm not sure if that was in melee since its pretty much impossible to hit someone with kirbys stone in melee o.o

Jokes_On_You

Smash Rookie
I think, like some have already said, it can be great if you use it when your opponent is not expecting it, but if you fail, you'll be punished.

Warp$tar Lover

Smash Cadet
I usually use down b to recover from being knocked high off the stage. Like some of the others here said, it's best used as a surprise attack.

P.S stone kirby can protect you against some final smashes (Like Super Sonic or PK starstorm)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
best time to use it is against people u know are going to be recovering vertically IE toon link, or Kirby lol, DDD, if ur opponent has to recover vertically it can easily kill MK, not Snake as much but u can def fly up above where he'll be after using his Bup and then if he cancels it u fall pretty **** fast and if he keeps going he wont know what hit him

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
I mainly do it on slower characters, or my friends who charge attacks to much.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Situational, yes, but usable... I use it to punish poor spacing, certain recoveries, and people charging moves.

Also, very rarely, but sometimes, I'll use it when on the ground (many people seem unaware of it's ground hitbox)
mmmm agreed.... i'm glad i read this post as i was about to say i use it in all the same ways. punishes in the same way G&W's key does... owns up over aggressive chasers from below.

on the ground hit box. i've always wanted to use this in my game... but i find the start up lag too punishable. usually i find a D smash much better in the same spots.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ground down b has about the same startup lag as an fsmash. Its a lot shorter than a regular stone. You could sorta use it as a counter attack/shield. Sometimes in friendlies if I'm ahead I will throw it in for the lawls.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
this is probably common knowledge, but if you roll towards the edge and then use DownB...if someone hits you (while you are already a rock), it will push you off the level- and hit them with the force of a falling rock. If my oponent is being aggressive, i sometimes do this, because normally you want to rush someone cornered, because if they shield it, they get pushed off...but in this case it punishes them.

Rock is good, but i might use it offensively once a match.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
yes similar to soft shield ledge hogs in melee... except it hits instead of gimps.

mmm i use it about the same... MAYBE once a match... about as often as i use the standing hammer

FBM

Smash Apprentice
I use it on telegraphed recoveries off-stage (donkey's up-B coming towards the stage or ROB's up-B coming up to the stage for example) or for mindgames when trying to get back down to the stage after being juggled high in the air.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I've played people only who use Kirby's down B like it's GaW's dair.

Myself, I usually only use it once or twice per match. If I'm in the air and my opponent is trying to chase me vertically (like a Wolf or MK might do), I'll use it then to most likely KO them from the top.

Other than that I seldom use it for the sake of mindgames and making my opponent forget that I CAN do that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
:laugh: AWESOME D00d!
----

In all seriousness, its probably only useful when your up very high, i wouldnt recommend it for much else
You'd be amazed at how useful a nearly point-blank rock can be, when used sparingly as a surprise attack. If they're expecting a bair or something, they might spotdodge, but the rock is laggier, so they would get hit, or at least get their shield hit, which usually knocks them back far enough for you to have time to transform back.

I try to only use it about two times during a match, and occasionally more if it's an attempt at an offstage gimp. Nothing's more satisfying than koing a meta knight offstage with rock :)

Well, other than Koing him with Toon Link's down air.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
You'd be amazed at how useful a nearly point-blank rock can be, when used sparingly as a surprise attack. If they're expecting a bair or something, they might spotdodge, but the rock is laggier, so they would get hit, or at least get their shield hit, which usually knocks them back far enough for you to have time to transform back.

I try to only use it about two times during a match, and occasionally more if it's an attempt at an offstage gimp. Nothing's more satisfying than koing a meta knight offstage with rock :)

Well, other than Koing him with Toon Link's down air.

This is word for word what I want to say.

Top Bottom