• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long do your controllers usually last?

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
This orange nintendo brand controller has lasted over a year and a half of doing hyper fox tech skill stuff, so I have a lot of respect for nintendo brand controllers.

It hasn't broken yet, but just in case it does I bought a new purple nintendo brand one.

My orange one has a pretty loose analog stick (For now it's easier, but i think later it will make things harder as it gets looser) and the buttons aren't as clicky. My right trigger doesn't click at all, you can just press it down solid, which is helpful for l cancels for me.

how long do nintendo brand controllers last? are there any 3rd party brands that compare?

Kantō

Smash Champion
the rubber things on the joysticks always rip off on mine.

but i wouldnt go with any third party controller imo

bwrw

Smash Rookie
The rubber pads on the wavebirds go for me, otherwise wired nintendo controllers tend to hold up well in that respect.

My roommate and I have been using the same controllers for about a year, and they were pretty fine until about a month ago. Gradually glitching out to the point where they're almost unusable. I've never liked third party controllers. I've had D-Pads fall off, analog sticks that wear out after a couple of weeks, it can be a nightmare.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I'd give about a 1 year lifespan for my controllers. And since the controller is the heart of any technical player, after about 10 months or so, I being to alternate in a new controller so the change isn't so sudden.

Kantō

Smash Champion
its still usable, just less comfortable. i guess you could try to glue it back on mabye...

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Well there's this pokey thing underneath the rubber (get your heads out of the gutter,) all you really need to do is just sand off the point and its good.

Vts

Smash Champion
mine's last me 2+ years but now i have 2 controllers and they go back and forth from which one fells better to play with so every tournament i take both :)

its also if someone else's break i let them pick which one they wanna use.

Cross.

Smash Ace
i cant play with a rubber on my control stick(LMAO@ this sentence). Mine has been torn of for so long it feels uncomfortable to play with one. My controller is 4 years old and still going strong.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
i cant play with a rubber on my control stick(LMAO@ this sentence). Mine has been torn of for so long it feels uncomfortable to play with one. My controller is 4 years old and still going strong.
I feel like my thumb would be a bloody mess after an hour of competitive smash without the rubber on lol

Stratford

Smash Champion
Yea I played for a bit without the rubber once. Hurts like hell.

But I gotta admit you do get good grip when the control stick is gouged into your thumb.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Gamestop Chameleon:
Breaks within 2 weeks, less if you use it for Melee techskill. Well, if you CAN use it for techskill, considering how stiff the buttons are. After that, the D-stick will start glitching, the C-stick will start glitching, the buttons will become extra stiff, the Z-button will become inconsistent, and/or the shield button will get "stuck". Oh, and then the D-stick will start to break. By that I mean that the grip part will fall off. So it's a D-stick that glitches and doesn't have a grip.

Now then, on the other hand, there is my "refurbished" first party controller that I've been using for about a year now. It had half a can of soda spilt on it, so I initially just dumped water on it. Worked fine for a while. Later I cracked it open and did a proper cleaning job. Has worked like a charm since.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Holy crap, is the control stick really called D-stick? I mean it makes sense since the pad right below is called D-pad...

Speaking of which, I'm gonna google the lettering of these sticks... im interested nao.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I've found that orange and purple controllers last longer than black and silver ones, for some reason. I use an orange one and my backup is a purple clear-back one.

bwrw

Smash Rookie
The white ones are new, and as far as I know Japanese exclusive at the moment. I don't know (and I doubt) if it makes a difference. And they're actually cheaper than buying new controllers from Amazon.

If you lose the rubber pad, it's not the end of the world. As plenty of people have said, you can glue it back on or you can just sand it (which isn't that bad of an option). Or if you're a Pete Townshend fan, you can just leave it jagged.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Mines have lasted me since I started Melee (March) and are still going.
-
Wii White Controllers = Too stiff for me.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Mine has lasted 3 years, altough I only started learning and using all the tech stuff maybe about 2 years ago. It would glitch occasionally, though it would go back to being normal after a while. I have a purple controller BTW.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
I have a purple controller, which I alone have used from day one. It has lasted me for about 5 years. I also have silver and black back-ups that I occasionally use (but these are mostly for my friends who don't own a Cube), and these have lasted 7. I take exceptionally good care of my controllers, though.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
My controller is 8 years old on Christmas this year....
Get at me?
Not so fast!!!...mine is too; battle scars on it FTW! Oh yeah...smashing since 1999 non stop...get at me...

Anyways...Pawn shops? Really? I get mine from Swap Meets. I recommend going to swap meets to buy original indigo/orange/black controls which are first party; Nintendo Made.

If you don't know what a swap meet is; a swap meet is a place that can be indoor or even outdoors; its not a garage sale! Basically it is a area where universal goods are sold ranging from home appliances, music, all types of electronics, and so much more.

You guys should look online to research if in your local area if there are any.

I got 2 Nintendo brand controls for 20 bucks for a orange and indigo. You can also try bargaining with the sellers to lower the price lol(only if your confident enough or know a way to people); that's what I did =P

The sellers in Swap meets usually sell them cheap anyhow; 15 and under.

RetroAntonio

Smash Apprentice
I really need to get another controller so I can have a 2nd player and play against humans....it's better than CPUs. But mines is new and one of those Wii White ones, they are not bad....or it could be I neverhad a GC controller before.

Top Bottom