• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long can you play really good until you need a break?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Is there a point in constant playing where you just have to step away from the wii for a bit to take a breather? What do you do watch tv, eat, take a nap?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If a thread like this was created yesterday, why would you make another one? Add in the fact that it got closed, and then you get a useless thread. Please try using the search feature next time, it saves lives. :)

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I mean im just naturally curious to know because im not sure when I myself need to take a break. I guess it might be when i start messing up more often than I should. So i guess i just wanted some ideas on how long to play, how long should i take a break (how long do you guys take breaks?), what's a good way to refresh yourself so when you get back from your break you are able to perform very well, etc. Maybe I should have thought this topic through more.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
If I'm having fun, then my limit would be about 1hour then from then on, it'll drop and concentration decreases, to recover, I just stop playing, go on my computer and play a different game lol/or eat/ or take a nap.
If I'm not having fun, I just don't feel like playing my best at all, e.g. sudden lag spike then another 1 minute later and the lag lasts about 20 seconds X(, so I'd say if i'm not having fun, about 10 minutes

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
For me hmm it would have to say when I'm bored with the competition online and I dont play hard which is almost every sec. If its offline well I never get tired because I'm training my main (link).The only time I do take a break is HW,basketball,hanging out with my friends, or playing another game

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I've never actually had the opportunity to reach my limit (life, etc gets in the way), but if I'm playing someone better than me or with whom I'm having some really good or close matches, man...I feel like I could go forever.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Never really got to my limits, my max playtime was 6-7 hours or so, and my friends got bored but I wanted to play on. It all depends on what you have eaten, what you've done that day, how tired/active you are. I do however retract myself every once in a while and sit out 2 games, I just go for a smoke and then Smash on.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I normally can only play up to 1-2 hour(s) straight before I need to take a break. I have a heredetary defect on my finger joints, causing them to hurt extremely after being used in such a manner. They almost burn like the fires of hell.

My breaks are my naps. If my fingers lock up (rarely ever happens), I'll just stop playing and eat, then run my hands through cold water.

Good as new.

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
Brakes?...No such thing
Wasting 2 minutes thinking up a cute little comment like that isn't that cool. Why can't you answer normally by saying something like, "I play for about 1/1 my life." It's not that that's normal, but you suggested that you never take breaks.

Seriously, you sound like my grandma.

Popertop

Smash Champion
It depends on who I'm playing.
If they are terrible, I'll lose interest and sandbag.

If they are really good, I'll play for a long time.

If they are mediocre, about two to three hours.

Ikenomon

Smash Apprentice
At an estimate, I normally last for 45 min. to a 1 hour and a half. But variables could occur that will effect for how long I play until I really need a break. Some of these include how much homework I have, the player I'm fighting, if it was a good day or bad day, any exercise that I force myself to do, any chores, is it the weekends or school day, etc.

I don't last very long anyways...unless I'm having fun.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Wasting 2 minutes thinking up a cute little comment like that isn't that cool. Why can't you answer normally by saying something like, "I play for about 1/1 my life." It's not that that's normal, but you suggested that you never take breaks.

This beats Straked's quote, I'm sorry Straked
I usually just take breaks to eat when playing smash

ghoztmazta1

Smash Rookie
i can play 24h in streak anyway, i got so good concentration so i can play all day if i want to, put i have to eat and drink sometimes. But my fingers might hurt then i mybe do something else some minutes then i go back :p

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Depending on my opponent, I can play well for two hours. After that I might start to slow down and fool around, but playing against a good player will keep me playing for hours.
Same here.

But usually the first 3-5 matches are definitely warm ups for me. No johns here, but i have to really warm up first in order to be able to start playing well.

But ya if you get a good opponent to friendly and if you enjoy the matches you can literally go all day.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
How long? It depends, as with life. If it's a bad brawler, I'll put up for so long beating them with the same tactics over and over again, but if I lose, I'll try and keep brawling until I've proven wrothy. That and life's a ***** and blockage of your time-wasting abilities.

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
When I play with someone close to my skill level I can usually play for 7+ hours... The only reason why I stop is because it's almost always around 3:00 am by that time, and I have to do homework the next day lol.

Pez55

Smash Apprentice

Sorry, I'll put more thought into my posts now.

I don't really take brakes, I play until I get bored, happy?

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Usually 2 hours before I start screwing up or mistiming things. So I take a break for a bit and come back for another couple of hours... Repeat the process and at about 6-7 hours I go "Yeah, that's enough for the day".

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I've never had the opportunity to play more than 2-3 hours straight of intense matches, so I don't really know... Of fun, casual, stress-free matches, I could go forever though ^^

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I can go for as long as I want, basically until physical limitations like sleep deprivation, or my fingers start getting sore.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
For me it gets to a point when you just feel like you're not at your best. It's hard to describe but symptoms of it include slight drowsyness and tiredness, particularly in joints if you havn't moved.
I usually get this after about 2hours or so. You start to notice it when you make silly mistakes quite often.

Valour

Smash Rookie
For me it depends on a few of factors, like the strength of my opponent, time of day, etc.

Usually on a good day I can go for about four hours or more. After that I start to lose interest and make stupid mistakes.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Lol motion sickness?

On topic: about 2 hours. I never have anyone really good to play with, and CPU's get old fast, but my spacing can always be improved upon vs CPU's. I played Melee for like 6 hours a couple years ago, nonstop. Without shielding once (lol I was a noob).

Top Bottom