• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How has SWF changed your life?

KnnySm3

Smash Apprentice
This thread was made before but I know it's dead so I'm not even going to bother looking for it.

Oddly enough, SWF can and has changed some lives and it's always interesting to hear how it has. Me, personally, it's left a large impact on my life. It actually did so indirectly but the fact remains that if I never joined SWF, I wouldn't be where I am now or in the situation I'm in now.

A long time ago when I was "Uncle Kenny" I was invited to a new forum "flaco" had created. To sum it up, I jumped from one forum to the next afterwards and ended up settling in on Martel's Forum. I was an online friend of LadyMartel and became an administrator pretty much by default and enjoyed myself for a while.

And that's when she came in... "Mocha". She showed up on Martel's Forum after being recommended there by a friend and I was quickly smiten with her. We began talking and formed a brotherly-sisterly bond and spent many hours talking on the phone together. Before I could ask her out, though, FireBomb had already moved in on her and asked her out first.

I was crushed. I decided to instead redistribute my concentration on LadyMartel whom I had a smaller crush on but I realized I just didn't want her... It was Mocha I was after. One day, things deteriorated between Mocha and FireBomb and she broke up with him, thus giving me a second chance to ask her out.

I did so and we had been dating ever since. For 14 months now, we've been together and I was planning on moving away to wherever she moved so that we could finally be together and do away with the treachery that is long-distance relationship but we've hit a speed bump in our relationship.

And so now I'm here typing this message on a forum I've grown to love and hate...

SWF has changed my life in more ways then this but what I've just explained is, by far, the most prevalent impact it's had on my life.

So tell us. Has SWF changed your life in any way?

Scott!

Smash Lord
SWF had my baby.

But seriously, it's had some effect. Not really much of anything outside of video games and stuff for the most part. I just come, relearn how sucky I am at this game, lose self-esteem, talk about Zelda, realize I don't suck at Zelda and am in fact quite knowledgeable in that area, regain self-esteem, and leave. But it did get me to a tournament once, and has taught me a load of stuff I barely half-knew before just from messing around. I have become friendly with people on here to some extent, but I don't let myself get attached to internet people that much. I need live contact of some sort for it to get the same meaning.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
SWF has had a large impact on my life.

I've been coming to this site nearly every day since I turned 13 almost 4 years ago. In the time between that day and now, I've seen myself mature, make friends, and all-around grow as a person.

When I first came here, I was barely 13. I remember my first post was in a Pokemon thread, something about the 4th Gen, I think. I just made a generally huge *** of myself.

Then I moved on to the Pool Room and the Debate Hall. I had the desire to, I dunno, prove myself smart or something. I used to have a huge superiority complex... Well, I made a complete fool of myself in the Debate Hall, too, but eventually found my place in the Proom.

In the Proom, I realized who I was: A joker. I simply didn't have the balls for debating (Still don't), wasn't passionate about Smash Bros., but I found out I was, dare I say, kinda funny.

So I kept to the Proom, for the most part. I dabbled a bit in the Debate Hall and Forum Games, but for my first few years I was a trademark Proomer.

Recently, I think I've lost that title.

I also found a new passion in the Pokemon Center: Competitive battling. It was so... Amazing to me, that there were so many strategic possibilities on what I thought was just a kid's game I still played. Since then I've almost, but not quite, won a few SWF tourneys.

My writing abilities have also greatly increased by coming here.

Nowadays, I mostly limit myself to the Pokemon Center, lurking other subforums.

Also, SWF is one of the main reasons behind my slight internet addiction.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I came out on SWF.

I found :mad:

I learned that just as in real life, people will either love me or loathe every inch of my existence.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Met other people who're just as crazy about Smash as I am (or was....), increased my circle of friends & acquaintances IRL. Before I found SWF, I didn't even know Smash was played competitively..... it was pretty major for me at the time. Also realized how much it sucks at times to be a female in the gaming community, but hey, I'll take the bad with the good.

So, yeah, nothing incredible, but it's still had an impact. I spend a fair chunk of my time here when I can afford to, so it better be worth it.... :p

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
SWF hasn't made a huge impact on my life, but I suppose it has made me realize a few things.

Before I joined this site I never really used the computer, at all. For whatever reason I thought it to be nearly impossible to become actual friends with people on the internet (lol I know, I'm ridiculous). I guess the fact that we don't actually physically come in contact (For the most part) with one another made me believe that.
Boy was I wrong.......

I've met so many cool people here, and I just can't bring myself to leave. Not yet anyways ;)

Oh and I've also gotten much faster at typing since I joined haha

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Alot of things have changed in these past few years, but this place has remained constant. I'm glad of that. If it wasn't for this place keeping me entertained, I dunno what I'd be doing.

There's also some more things that I've been sitting here trying to remember for the past half hour, but I can't seem to remember them.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'd say this site has changed my life a lot. It gave me something to "waste" my money on as I discovered smash. I've traveled to a lot of places I never though I would and had a blast doing it. It's great meeting people from all over the country no matter what tournament I go to. I've made a ton of friends around my area just from playing this game. I can easily say that if I get stranded somewhere in the country, I probably have a contact nearby to help me.

People ask me sometimes why I go to these things, or how it is worth it. I just respond I enjoy spending time with friends and it's almost like a vacation for me. You could say a vacation is just spending time enjoying something, and that's exactly what I do with Smash. (And I guess it can be cheaper sometimes that other vacations)

And since I just recently decided to venture outside of Regional and Tournament forums and Decisive games, I've met more people that share the same Computer games so I don't have to play with randoms allllll the time.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I don't know if this qualifies as "life changing" but I've met some very awesome people here throughout the years.

KnnySm3

Smash Apprentice
Did meeting those people change your life in any way?

For instance, did you find any people you believed were "awesome" on here?

D

Deleted member

This place has helped me release my inner nerd, to dispel the mountaineer philosophy. This site is against probably every rule that rednecks have.

I met some pretty cool people on here, and enjoy chilling with my favorite community, the User Blogs.

Grunt

Smash Master
I met lots of cool people here in WA and OR like eggz and Bart and plenty of others.
I was pretty bored with my life before smash so I'd have to say it changed a lot.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I met my long-lost brother Asdioh on Smashboards.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Wait is this the girl you were going to propose to? The online one?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I met Handorin.

...and all the BRoomers, and all the dGamers, and all the mods, and my crew...

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Just last night I had a great time drinking wine and eating cheese while watching movies with David and Ashley. Of course, most of you know them as Caotique and Thundermistress. I wouldn't have made friends with them and that never would have happened if it wasn't for SWF. Neither would the 3 day snow trip we went on last year.

If I hadn't seen McFox once link an XKCD comic here I never would have started reading that webcomic, which means I never would have started reading Questionable Content, which I found through XKCD. Those then lead to more things which lead to even more things and I can safely say that some of the best experiences of my life can all be traced back to a post McFox made ages ago in (I think) Las Pictoras. I tried to find it but I can't =[.

KnnySm3

Smash Apprentice
Wait is this the girl you were going to propose to? The online one?
Yes.

I was going to hold off on the proposal and do it correctly by getting her parents' permission first but apparently, I didn't "back off" enough from her and she broke up with me over a gut feeling.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I love SWF!

Life changing, though... hmm. My life has changed drastically since I started posting ('06) to now, but I don't know how much I could credit to SWF. Without SWF, I'd have never been to a tournament. Though the ones I went too were never really impressive, and always smelled pretty funky.

SWF is just a big giant social thing for me. Without the BRoom, and the older, more awesome iterations of the LGBT thread, I don't think I'd be able to function correctly. It's always been the place I go to when I need to vent, or ***** about something. So thank you, SWF, for preserving my sanity. :)

Oh, and pretty much every BRoomer. I love you all. <3

Matt

Banned via Administration
Hey, remember me? I'm that dude who tore you a new anus. Good times, good times.

I'm talking to both Xsyven and Kenny.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Like so many others have said I've met lots of awesome people through this site some of which I now know in real life. Looking forward to TM's 21st next week :D

Top Bottom