• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how fast do YOU burn threw your Dstick?

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
im on my forth gc controller in the last two months. i picked up a new wavebird last night, played for maybe 4hrs, and the dstick is already worn down to the point where the top rubber circles are gone. the controller itself still works fine.. but im curious as to if anyone else has this problem. once you wear the dstick down far enough its all hard plastic and blisters from there and thats the point where it becomes uncomfortable to play with and im forced to invest in another.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Lol Cecilia xD. I've had my controller for 6 years? and the worst that's happened is I accidentally ran over it with my bike. Still works though.

studly

Smash Ace
insane..usually the only time i have to get another controller is after mine gets smashed from some idiot gettiing ticked off and throwing it across the room

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
I've had mine since the release of the alternate colored gamecubes. It's been through hell, just the other day was wrestling around and fell off the couch right on top of it. It was sitting with the handles pointing up... ouuuccccchhh I weigh a little over 200 lb and it was about a 2 foot drop. Works just fine ands its been through way more then that.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
The controller I'm using now has been with me since... about 6 months after Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1&2 came out. My friend and I found out that the longer you played without turning off the game, the better your drops were... so we played for three straight days without turning off the system, ran down the cooling fan, and melted the GC's CPU. Got a new Gamecube and have been using the included controller ever since.

:chuckle:

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I've had the same trusty controller since 2003. Everything works like a charm on it. Aside from some whiteout my step-sister spilled on one of the handles, it looks and works great.

Kros

Smash Apprentice
i got mines the day the GC came out. Buddy is still with me smashin.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
****! How do you do that to a controller? I sweat a lot from my hands and nothing like that ever happens to my controller. I've been using the same controller almost exclusively since I got my Gamecube 2-3 years ago.

Then again... mines a standard controller and not a wavebird. That might have something to do with it...

But still DAM!!!

Kilut

Smash Cadet
Wavebirds are nintendo....

But ive had my controller since gcs came out, its fine, but i put duct tape all over it to make it look cooler.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I've had my trusted purple controller since December 25th of 2001...then the control stick had so much dead space I literally couldn't do tilts while playing Brawl...so I exchanged it for a shiny new silver controller. I also have one with a turbo button...but the R button doesn't work on that one XD

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Holy ****, do you like anally **** your controller or something?
This

Also, No. I havent EVER burned through one controller, even with dash-dancing, and other things.

I'd say I have more respect for the things I have to buy than that....

Metronomotopoeia

Smash Rookie
I've had the same two controllers since the Gamecube was introduced.

The worst of the damage is that the A/B buttons are a little mushy (it's hard to feel the difference between when you're putting pressure on the button and when you're not), and the L/R buttons don't provide as much resistance as they used to.

I have no idea what I'd have to do to wear the rubber off the control stick. I'd have to play with a barbed diamond thimble or something.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I've never had the problem on one of my controllers, but last time I played, I was using a friend's controller and the little rubber grip on the top was torn, so when I would hold left or right, my finger would just pull the grip more than actually move the control stick.

it was really annoying when playing Mario Kart

Genghis Krahn

Smash Cadet
im on my forth gc controller in the last two months. i picked up a new wavebird last night, played for maybe 4hrs, and the dstick is already worn down to the point where the top rubber circles are gone.
Wow. I would really like to see how you play.

Guaranteed, you play ridiculously hard with your controller. That's totally unnessesary. You don't have to beat it up to make it listen to you.

Rather than buying four controllers every 2 months, I'd recommend settling the **** down.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
when you loose in smash do you tear with your teeth on the Dstick? That can cause the controller a lot of damage.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Well i have 4 controllers and each one has lasted me about 4 years. I still have my first controller that came with the Gamecube and it still works fine.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
It must be the way you handle your controller. Different people wear out their controllers at different rates.

For some reason my controllers have always stayed in great condition while my brother's controller's would end up with a substantialy amount of dead space on his Dstick within a few months. We play the same games, with mostly the same playing styles, and he's almost as fast as me at Smash, yet he goes through controllers like a madman while my controllers (the two that I bought and designated as mine when I realized his level of Dstick Dstruction) are still in fully smash-functional condition.

Try video-taping your hands while you play, maybe that'll give you some insight into where you're rough.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
If there was a group for GC controller rights, they would want you dead.
Ive had the same controller since 2003 and its in great condition.
The custom paint job could use an update, though.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I've had 3 controllers since the GCN was introduced. The first one's analog stick is very loose for some reason, and I hadn't even heard of dash-dancing until recently, and never was too good at it. It's too loose now for serious use (although it still works, I just don't like using loose control sticks), but I keep it anyways. It was the first controller I've used. The second one I've used still is in entirely working order, but the stick is somewhat loose in the upwards direction, and only slightly loose in other directions, most likely because all I've really played for the good duration of the GCN's hey-day were 3D Adventure games.

I've never bought a single extra controller since the three I bought slightly after SSBM came out, but I've been using the third one exclusively for at least 3 years now, and it's hardly if at all loose in the four cardinal directions, but not at all noticable unless you're trying to see if it's loose or not.

I guess I was really too young when I first bought my GCN, and maybe I believed that the harder I pushed, the faster it'd go. D:

Luckily, I discovered that it didn't work that way after the first controller went loose, so meh.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I've had my controller for 2 years.
It's a standard black controller, and it's still working.
As a matter of fact, any game I can play with that controller, I play it with that controller.
I don't like the Wiimote, because it just doesn't feel right.
Every time I go over to a friend's house, I bring that controller.
No one else touches it but me.
That controller has gone through many difficult battles (well, I have) and it's fine.
Always stick with standard, don't settle for anything claiming to be better.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
I've had a crappy MadCatz GC controller ever since the GC, the d-stick and the c-stick were pretty worn out, andI used it for Melee and couldn't buy a new one. Now I have a silver Nintendo GC controller that I bought just for Brawl, and the d-stick and c-stick are just a bit loose.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
my bro has a wavebird, the left stick does not have the soft thing anymore, and the c stick has both of its sides(of the soft part) all burned, cause in melee he was an angry marth f-smasher. Yet, he always said the c-stick was for noobs.

and for me, well, i got a emerald green one, it does not have the left soft thing :ppp and many people claim it is uncomfortable, and even sometimes harmful, to play with it, the c stick is all fine, but me and my bro already got used to them not having the soft part. both our left thumbs have harder skin than the right thumbs :p

fkacyan

Smash Hero
... You know, it's not hard to use a controller without breaking it.

Slamming something hard versus softly tapping it at the same speed has the same result.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
My first controller (launch) was broken cause of pop spilling on it, and my second one (also launch) was traded in for a new platinum one 'cause the stick was getting loose.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Wear a glove or something, man.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I've had my GameCube controller ever since the GameCube was first released for sale in America. I don't see how you go through four controllers that quickly.

Top Bottom