• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you use your fireballs?

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
Well everyone uses there fireballs differently, just curious about how you use your fireballs, how often, what sorta situation : D help nubs like me!!

Well this is how i use them:

I spam them a lot in the beginning -.- like SH fireballs move forward and backwards,
spam them as an approach if they are on the ground,
spam then as i return from being nocked of the stage.

I use fireballs ALOT! like, i will continually SH fireball, if i'm not doing attacks
i'm spamming fireballs :3

So just curious about your fireball usuage : )

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm like Hero, but I know when I plan to use them. My main reason is to either rack a little damage on them or force an approach. They are also very helpful for gimping. They will be stunned and will fall down if they are off stage. This alone can provide a gimp or this with other gimping materials like cape, FLUDD, etc.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I use fireballs and nothing else.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I spam fireballs, just like Hippie. However, I use them more as a distraction. I keep my distance with fireballs until the opponent tries to approach. I play a really, really campy Mario.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
I need to play boss and other mario players i spam just like kingkira thanks for the confidence this is wat keeps me from giving up on mario this board is kool moar of these tips from players please i check the boards every day. thanks

FrankPizzi

Smash Apprentice
Use fireballs to approach( it's two atks, they have to worry about), use fireballs to trap your opponent, see how he reacts when you use fireballs, use them to edeguard of course,also you can stop atks with a fireball, and it stuns them for a little( I think) and most of all to rack up damage vs your opponent.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i use fire balls more for spacing then for approaching (i like aproaching with nair or dair cause it's faster)
but........really....i use them without really thinking hehehe
i don't have a plan or something ^^
maybe a bit stupid from me but...whatever^^

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Never stop using fireballs cause it makes your opponent collect damage ( I think that should be a actual mario rule). I spam fireballs all throughout the match. My main reason is so my opponent will come to me. second, i want to get as much damage to you as i can. thirdly i use it to gimp people off the board....but if they are high enough time to use the mighty FLUDD. those are a few of my reasons

Rog~er

Smash Apprentice
does anyone b reverse fireballs? you know, kinda like snake's b reversed grenades to avoid an attack while in the air. it's useful at times. sorry if it's a dumb idea. i recently picked him up as my main after dropping marth. played him since brawl's release but i finally gave in to Mario's fun playing style. :)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
does anyone b reverse fireballs? you know, kinda like snake's b reversed grenades to avoid an attack while in the air. it's useful at times. sorry if it's a dumb idea. i recently picked him up as my main after dropping marth. played him since brawl's release but i finally gave in to Mario's fun playing style. :)
Absolutely. Reversed fireballs usually catches your opponent offguard, and you can usually toss out 2 while retreating. Great defensive tactic.

Nice to have you. We Marios aren't too fond of Marth...

Veggi

Smash Champion
I b reverse fireballs all the time, it looks super cool. Marth is a very annoying matchup because he can look like he has no idea what he's doing and stop all of my approaches at the same time.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
i guess everyone uses they're fireballs differently LOL!!

gahh, i have to stop camping with mario -.- friend keeps pwning me DX,
i got owned by ness >_> my friend just started using him dX, i hate how he controls the air more than i do freaking Fair, anyone have any advice?

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
i can't controll the air well enough to hit him off the map LOL, he is a really good side stepper >_>

Veggi

Smash Champion
Shoot a fireball at him and then nair and try to land behind him if you see him shield. The nair will outlast his spot dodge and then you can combo into a jab or something under 5 frames. (Super Jump Punch, jab, up tilt, ftilt)

Irios

Smash Rookie
I use them to make approch easier as well. If your sent flying upward offstage, you can throw 2 or 3 of them during your return and so avoid beeing gimped. In that way they are a little more handy than Weegee's ones. It helps a lot in cleaning the ledge and prevent edgehogging. I also like Fireball SH to stutter stepped FSmash. It helps killing those long-range freaks who we hate so much :)

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
I use 2 SH-fireballs to approach to hit the opponent with F-smash or B-air if the opponent is in the air. If the opponent is on the ground Fireballs can lead into Dash Attack, D-air, or Walking Grabs. I use fireballs to stop the opponent grabbing the edge and messup recoveries. I also use fireballs to lead into edgegaurding with F-air, Cape or Aerials. I also use retreating fireballs to mess up approaches.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think it kind of depends who you're facing.

Against some characters I use fireballs to camp, while against others I use them to make approaches. Against characters like Sonic, I use them to stop approaches, and when off the edge I always use fireballs to try and keep them from coming out to gimp me or edgeguarding.

Also, you can reverse buffer a fireball during a SH to change your direction and make an approaching SH into a retreating SH w/Bair covering your ***.

BSP

Smash Legend
I use the fireballs to rack up easy damage, force shielding and spotdodging, and get grabs and stuff.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I spam them if I'm trying to get them to approach or if they're recovering. I'm very bad at jumping out and trying to meteor smash them or like trying to gimp them... >.>

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I spam fire balls all the time. Even when i dont have to spam them i do anyway. Snake just seems to be one of the characters that need mario fireballs to be blessed upon him lol

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I don't do it often, but I should try that more often: thank you.

I always use fireballs, very often, for either of two purposes:

1) To catch the opponent off his guard long enough during my approach in order to hit him, be it Neutral-Aerial or Down-Smash.

2) As a means of goading him out into approaching me from a distance.

Both work fine, I find.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Actually it depends..I use fireballs into grabs because of the hitstun on them and from there I proceed with **** or I just put them into a series of attacks(not combo lol)

I don't play this game anymore but I might get back into it =)

Top Bottom