• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do YOU use link?

tappy

Smash Ace
i just want to see how all of you link users use link, what's your strategy, what's your favorite move to use or how often do you use his projectiles? okay:)

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I use him: effectively
My strategy: win
Favorite move: neutral aerial (sex kick)
Projectiles: all the freakin' time

Kiris

Smash Cadet
Well, I main Link, so I get to know how he works pretty well. I spam projectiles until my opponent comes up to me, then I knock him tinto the air, and uair juggle. My favorite move has to be his up-B. Best edgeguard, ever.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
But seriously, I like to use projectiles from a distance and always have a bomb out, then throw a boomerang at the opponent as an approach. I grab a lot too, probably a bad thing but, I like grabs. For throws, I usually dthrow to utilt, it works on almost everybody. For fast-fallers, try uthrow to dsmash at lower percentages or dthrow to dsmash at higher percentages. Jab too, jabs are useful. For aerials, I try shffling nairs or fairs as an approach in conjunction w/ the boomerang. I like using platforms a lot, for dashing around the enemy throwing projectiles or usmashing or waitng for an opportunity to strike.

My 3 favorite things to do out of shields is Spin Attack, shffl nair, or grab. I don't wavedash much cuz I don't find it practical. But yea, that's pretty much my strategy.

THE AVENGER

Smash Journeyman
my style kinda trying to be fast i usaly L-cancel then dsmash and follow up a combo and i wavedash usaly to do this my projectiles usaly i jump back and trow them i bombdash alot and the rest i cant think of:confused:

Deva

Smash Lord
Use projectiles to keep your opponent at bay. If they are a fast character and can easily approach Link, counter with some of Link's decent close up range and fairly high proiority moves. If you have the opponent at fairly high health, use projectiles with short hops to approach the opponent and move infor the kill.

adonnis85

Smash Apprentice
I use link as a target in training mode to practice my wave shining on...

no but seriouslyim almost NEVER holding my boomerang and there is just about ALWAYS a bomb somewhere on the screen... love the Nair... and up B is not the best edge guard ever... unless you like when people sweetspot the ledge then ledgehop and screw you in your lag... i prefer a Dtilt into a Nair

tappy

Smash Ace
i stay away from the opponent as much as possible and try to attack at the right times. i mostly have to study their moves and find out their weakness and then i go on from there.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
ya just use projectiles, but dont become one of those nooby links that spams at an annoying rate, just figure out what works, and spam when recovering to clear the ledge

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Use projectiles to control the spacing between your oppenent and yourself. Also use them to bait your opponent to come closer. A next why to spam the boomerang is to throw it at your opponent, the immediately throw it again right when it comes back to you, and etc. It's pretty annoying to get around.

Abuse Link's sword range to also create some more spacing when the opponent is closer. Feel free to "run away" and throw some projectiles if the opponent is too troublesome up close.

Shield camp-SHFFL attacks out of your shield/upsmash out of your shield/ up B out of your shield if the oppenent is playing very aggressive. Attacking out of your shield with any character is a good way to keep an opponent off guard.

Look for a well placed grab, Uair, or up tilt (which has great range in the back of the move) to start a juggle/combo on your opponent.

Idk, just play smart guys. Mindgames ftw?

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
lol scarlet's sig would rock if he changed ness to link....XP

anywayz....
yea i just spam the hell out of projectiles and do random **** like when they got shot up and almost died off the top, i will just randomly throw up bombs so i can get an idea of where they are going to land (not were i throw the bombs).

if you ever come across a wobble infinite person...(like chu when hes squanderin)...just talk dirty sex to them...works everytime...they lose thrie train of thought

a lot of people forget about dthrow to up b which is a simple combo that works beautifually on all fast fallers around 100 -130%

Demoyoshi

Smash Cadet
Use Projectiles at far distances.

Never use dair when edgeguarding use sex kick.

Favorite move is fair.

Use glitches since theyre best whit link.

Use Red color Link.

tappy

Smash Ace
ya just use projectiles, but dont become one of those nooby links that spams at an annoying rate, just figure out what works, and spam when recovering to clear the ledge
^just how i do it, not fun to spam the projectiles

Deva

Smash Lord
n00by links are the ones who generally don't use their projectiles enough. If it wasn't for Link's projectiles, I really wouldn't see any point in using him at all.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Yeah, projectiles are a pretty big part of Adult Link's game, don't ignore them for style points.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
the question is not "how do you use link", but rather "how does link use you".

that said, this thread is really stupid.

that said, i spam nairs and bairs in such a fashion that i never have a moment of non-movement, really. just sort of funny. of course, once a move connects, i use everything i can until i can't hurt them anymore...

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
link is not all projectiles is all im saying, his smashes are amazing, pretty much he has nothing bad about him except his speed or lack there of and being chain throw.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Throughout the whole entire game, I'd say Link is one of the most creative character. All of his moves are just too convinient and useful. You would probably use every single attack he has. Link is just too cool. He has like everything on him! EVEN A SHIELD!

Anyway, the most two common way to KO with Link is his Swords Spin and his Dair. Agree?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I tend to focus on using the bombs and boomerang foward smash and down smash are my best friends
favorite things to do
Dair from the edge
Throwing people into bombs mostly upwards
Throwing/Catching bombs every second I can

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Aesir....nice sig, who made it....?

As for the way I play link thing.... I use arrows and bombs....no boom. Umm....i never use up b unless as an edge guard...to punishable...i try to rack up damage use progetiles and his hook-shot (in air) cause its 3% and looks cool. I dont really play link alot anymore so.... after i perfected his bomb recovery I stopped because I relized...Im getting hit of a stage so much I need to perfect a recovery?...thats sad. So any way yeh I rack up damage till there at 110%...cause at 110% Link (like all low tier characters) becomes God Tier...

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Yea, Link pretty much gets combo'd to oblivion by EVERYBODY... And his projectiles are one of his best features, it's really impossible to overuse them. I mean, look at Aniki! The other great quality about Link is his obesity; it takes FOREVER for most characters to knock him off.

Idk, just play smart guys. Mindgames ftw?
Indeed, no matter how good you are w/ Link tech-wise, you won't get very far w/o good mindgames.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Indeed, no matter how good you are w/ Link tech-wise, you won't get very far w/o good mindgames.
Not callin you a newb... but Iv noticed n00bs love to say "mindgames", and use it as there source of victory...people everything isnt mindgames... If I can do EVERYTHING with fox....Im talkin sintraple shine (x8 I think), infi wave shine, double lazor...everything and Im as predictable as a 1 year old, but you can do nothing but the basics aND HAVE THE Best mindgames to man...and lets say you use fox....you WILL STILL LOSE!... stop acting like mindgames are the source of victory, there important, neccassary, and very useful but you need the tech down to even compete...TECH 1ST then mindgames...you can come up with mindgames if you have the tech stuff down... but you cant just all of sudden be techinical just because you have mindgames... in fact most mindgames involve technical situations... yeh I had to get that off my chest and once again this wasnt towards you Blade as a person..just the phrase you stated I here from people in my area far to often...theyve got this game all mixed up.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I understand where you're coming from, but your argument really has one major flaw: your example uses Fox. Fox and Falco are the two characters where tech-skill is MUCH more important than mindgames. If you have all the tech-skill in the world w/ Fox, then you're bascially superdoodleman's AR Fox.

Link on the other hand, DEMANDS good mind games. Most of Link's tech-skill is shffl and upB out of shield, maybe bomb-jump. That stuff isn't too hard to master.

THAT'S WHERE LINK'S TECH-SKILL ENDS.

After you've mastered these super simple basics, you need to start working on your mindgames.

Link's UBER-PROBLEM is that he gets completely destroyed by almost every character above him on the Tiers list. That's probably one of the main reasons for why he's so low. I swear PICHU could probably combo him to oblivion. Link needs good mindgames because he's not fast enough to just be an offensive character. Link players need to be able to pressure their opponents into situations that benefit the Links!

Obviously tech-skill comes first, but mindgames come shortly after due to it being so easy to master Link tech-wise.

Don't like mindgames? Play falco.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Strategy: Edge gaurding
Favorite Move: Sex Kick
Most Hated Move: Spin Attack
Projectiles: I dont have any, cause there all out at one time.
Killing Move: Sex Kick out of the stage, no matter what happens, if i am losing i dont give a f*ck Nair for the win.
Advise to Link players: Don't be scared of fox, falco and shiek.
Other Advise: Use small comboes not HUGE
aight thats it n*ggas

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
I understand where you're coming from, but your argument really has one major flaw: your example uses Fox. Fox and Falco are the two characters where tech-skill is MUCH more important than mindgames. If you have all the tech-skill in the world w/ Fox, then you're bascially superdoodleman's AR Fox.

Link on the other hand, DEMANDS good mind games. Most of Link's tech-skill is shffl and upB out of shield, maybe bomb-jump. That stuff isn't too hard to master.

THAT'S WHERE LINK'S TECH-SKILL ENDS.

After you've mastered these super simple basics, you need to start working on your mindgames.

Link's UBER-PROBLEM is that he gets completely destroyed by almost every character above him on the Tiers list. That's probably one of the main reasons for why he's so low. I swear PICHU could probably combo him to oblivion. Link needs good mindgames because he's not fast enough to just be an offensive character. Link players need to be able to pressure their opponents into situations that benefit the Links!

Obviously tech-skill comes first, but mindgames come shortly after due to it being so easy to master Link tech-wise.

Don't like mindgames? Play falco.
Agreed, / good points made involving link and since this thread is about link, I'll leave it alone cause you make a good point. I guess my original statement was lent more towards anything above low-tier...so yeh ^_^'

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Exactly. I'm sure you can go into the Fox section and start a "mind-games vs tech-skill" thread, but for we humble Link players, we'll stick w/ our basic tech-skill and our dependence on mind games.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Exactly. I'm sure you can go into the Fox section and start a "mind-games vs tech-skill" thread, but for we humble Link players, we'll stick w/ our basic tech-skill and our dependence on mind games.
Thats cool its all good, I respect the link players...its not easy bein link nowadays...

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Yea, thanx. We're a dying breed now, what with the space animals trying to take over.
We have lots of Link players.. the only problem is they don't go to smashboards or don't show up to tourney because they say there link sucks, well if they put them to test, there link wont suck at all, all iam saying is Link players should have to balls to go to a tourney and show other that Link aint a pu**y.

Edit: Also we could kill space anumals, the problem here is, you guys always say Link will die cause of space animals, all you need to do is keep mindgaming the anmals so they kills himself. So don't be saying fox will **** you to death just bcause he is fox.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
You have good Link players? Lucky monkey... I'm one of the few good Links in my area. But yea, I show up to tournies all the time. The only reason I haven't joined one recently is because I am currently fiscally challenged (I r poor). >.<

I'm not saying Link'll just die to space animals, I'm just saying they're much more prominent in tournaments than Link. And neither does Fox **** Link just cuz he's Fox, he's just one of Link's worst match-ups. Probably second to Sheik and just in front of Falco/C. Falcon.

That... and it's been a while since I mind-gamed a good Fox/Falco player into SD'ing...

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
if you ask me,fox is the easiest character that i can mindgame with link,i pull a bomb,jump over the enemy and drop the bomb,while they're defending against the bomb,i am on the other side of fox and have 2 option: 1.smash or 2.dashgrab.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
if you ask me,fox is the easiest character that i can mindgame with link,i pull a bomb,jump over the enemy and drop the bomb,while they're defending against the bomb,i am on the other side of fox and have 2 option: 1.smash or 2.dashgrab.
That wont work once you try to go pro....or semi pro...or even half semi pro... but I know what your refering too.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Yea, it might work once, cuz the person didn't see it coming, so they'll shield. After that, they can literally walk away from the bomb and do as they wish.

Top Bottom