• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do YOU use link?

Chinkku397

Smash Rookie
I'm a projectiles freak, especially with the boomerang. I also bomb my opponent when he charges at me so I can attack him in an open spot. I would usually recover with the Hookshot instead with the Spin Attack. When it comes to close attacks, Atilt, Dtilt, Dsmash, you know all that good stuff. In the air, Nair, Dair, and Fair.

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
I'm a projectiles freak, especially with the boomerang. I also bomb my opponent when he charges at me so I can attack him in an open spot. I would usually recover with the Hookshot instead with the Spin Attack. When it comes to close attacks, Atilt, Dtilt, Dsmash, you know all that good stuff. In the air, Nair, Dair, and Fair.
i think the Fair is better when you use SHFFLE or after Dtilt,and the Nair is better when you use fastfall,it have better chance of hitting enemy without getting interrupted.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Forward air has more range and the disjointed hitbox so it is a pretty good offensive/defensive move to spam with SHUFFLs. The neutral I think has more range and speed but doesn't have the disjointed hitbox since it's not a sword attack.

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
does anyone has some great tech's to share? i only knows two: 1. grab,throw down and spin attack if his damage is at 50 or more,it helps me alot to knock my opponents off me or at great distance,with luck it may become a weird spike and 2. the tech with the bombs i mention earlier.

oh yeah,and one more thing:

Originally Posted by bladeofapollo
Yea, it might work once, cuz the person didn't see it coming, so they'll shield. After that, they can literally walk away from the bomb and do as they wish.

you may got a point in there,but you can use other tactics like double jump to his direction with Nair or double jump to the opposite direction and use boomerang.

Kazidoom

Smash Rookie
In the beginning I'm defensive, usually using all my projectiles to control the spacing so the other person doesn't get too close. When I think I can get some hits in I'll close the gap and start attacking. I like to start off with a jab because if it hits I know I can follow up with a grab or downsmash and if it doesn't there isn't much lag so I have a good chance of avoiding their counterattack. If projectiles don't work as well as I want I'll start using aerials defensivly. Like if somebody keeps trying to fight up close I'll use bairs to push them back and nairs to counterattack followed by uptilts. That's my basic "battle plan" but a lot of matches are situational so it's hard to describe how you play the majority of the time.

LHG

Smash Journeyman
I'm somewhat conservative, using a lot of projectiles and less aggression up close. But when it gets to it, I shield grab like crazy, sex kick opponents faces... throw in a couple thousand smashes and you have me. I think. XD

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
what i noticed about link is that his bow and boomerang can disrupt samus bomb jump after you have smashed him away.

Bananablob

Smash Rookie
I hate Link's smashes so I mostly use the power attacks to send opponents flying. I'm not good at shuffling but I do use uair and dair often to juggle. For a long time I never trhew a single arrow during a match because I didn't know any good way to use this as its long and not damageworthy (eeeww that's a sick word) but recently I started using him again (I main Kirby most of the time but tend to try maining other characters too) and found the arrows useful when you knew how to aim well . Basically I concentrate on his fastest attacks because he tends to be slow especially when running. The two things I like best about him : Shield blocks stuff and Hookshot clings to edges !

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I think the sword spin is a better edge guard than Link's nair because if you hit them the right way, they will be spiked. Some may argue that the opponent may grab on to the ledge and follow up with a attack because the upB has terrible lag time, if they look like they are going to grab onto the edge, then short hop onto the edge to edge hog. Link's nair is a good attack, but I think upB can be used more practically.

Oh yeah, I like Link's long range attacks a lot, especially bombs. I also like SHFLLing with him and juggleing.

For everyone that said tech is not as important as mind games with Link, does that mean I don't have to learn how to dash dance?

Bananablob

Smash Rookie
Well i'd say that nobody really needs to LEARN dash dance because everyone is basically able (you flick control stick from left to right very fast) and also, Link's dash dance is prety useless because it's so mush laggy. Before you gain speed link needs to accelerate which he doesn't do really well (kirby does it better) and then you turn around before he actually starts to run for real so the lag is back and instead of mystifying the opponent you're losing time...

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I think the sword spin is a better edge guard than Link's nair because if you hit them the right way, they will be spiked. Some may argue that the opponent may grab on to the ledge and follow up with a attack because the upB has terrible lag time, if they look like they are going to grab onto the edge, then short hop onto the edge to edge hog. Link's nair is a good attack, but I think upB can be used more practically.
Very true. Link's bombs are helpful wihen dealing with fast characters who can rack up combos, (Marth, Captain Falcon, sheik, etc.) mainly because they can spoil the chain between hits. Some advice to new link players, try to be conservative. Link isn't very mobile to begin with, and going against that with a different playstyle (Similar to Marth) can have a horrific outcome. Also, wavedashing and dash dancing aren't needed for Link; they have no major improvement on his speed and will only waste time because of his lack of mobility.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i use link very uniquely. at first i like to wavedash back, i dunno its just a habit when the match starts lol pretty stupid huh? and then if my opponent hasnt run at me i begin the projectiles, boomerang usually straight forward to cover the ground, and then pull out a bomb etc. shffl around to try and lure him in. i like upb out of shield, altho i probably only do this 2-3 times in a match because it gets predictable. dthrow to upb is nice. sex kicks ftw, and i take advantage of jabs and tilts range

HyperDragon

Smash Apprentice
Link quite possibly isn't my main (that honor goes to Luigi) but he's definately my secondary.

I use a lot of aerials as him. I use projectiles from time to time, especially the boomerang and bomb, but not every second of a fight. I use the hookshot to recover, unless I feel that a 3rd jump could make it.

But my most favorite move with him is the spin-slash. I don't go a whole fight without using it.

CK204

Smash Rookie
Same main strategies as Aniki.

Use of projectiles: pull bomb, boomerang first and then immediately follow by f-tilt throw of bomb, then jump and pull out another one, if the opponent is closing in and I haven't gotten my boomerang back then throw the bomb and aim for a triple-slash (neutral tilt x3)

Melee: mostly going for the triple-slash, f-tilt, grab to up-throw and aiming to u-air or full up d-air at higher percentages. Or....

Favourite move (especially when facing the outside of the stage with the opponent at higher percentage) : z-grab, 2-3 slashes, d-throw to up+B. Gotta love doing that.

Defending against an opponent behind me: d-tilt, u-tilt, and if I still haven't knocked them, shield dash away.

Edgeguard: charge arrow (for far-knocked opponents), pull bomb, boomerang (or skip directly to this for slowly-initiated triple jumps such as fox/falco up+B), attempt f-tilt up+b interception and up+B for slow opponents. Edgehog or d-air for opponents who have already used all three jumps.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
this is how i would love to use link all the time :)

how to zer0 -> death fastfallers (fox, falco, sheik, falcon):

get to the edge of final destination, or on top of a platform in kirby64 or battlefield or what have you..

grab -> dthrow -> dsmash -> dsmash -> uptilt -> uptilt -> uptilt -> spin attack spike -> edgehog

the MOST important thing about this combo is to yell at ur opponent as loudly and obnociously as possible after the fact "WHOSE TOP TIER NOW MOTHA F**KA?!?!?!?!"

PS i have no video caputuring abilities but when i do im gona do this on film

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
wait sheiks a ff when did this happen?? and obnoxiously is spelled as such, also I would di out of that combo, and um...dnt even play sheik with link, your wasting your time. K im done just felt like being an ***

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
wait sheiks a ff when did this happen?? and obnoxiously is spelled as such, also I would di out of that combo, and um...dnt even play sheik with link, your wasting your time. K im done just felt like being an ***
heh good call. sheik is a weirdfaller... :dizzy:

argh ur right... who the hell uses x anyway, what a dumb letter :psycho:

in order to make it so the other character cant DI out of this combo, you have to know ur hitboxes well, thats all. hit them on the correct part and anticipate correct DI. it is possible to do a non-DI able 0 - death... you just have to wavedash to the correct spot to pull off the next move precisely.

yeah i play link against sheik. i know phannas chart may discourage this, but anything is possible :chuckle:

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Its not a question on how to use link but how not to use link.When competing you want your opponent not to be able to read your movements.You need to determine what pace you should be fighting the opponent but keep in mind that if you only fight in a particular style the chances are youll get caught up enspecially with link.

Since link doesnt have a great offensive game try to be a bit on the reactionary defensive side but dont forget to mix things up offensively to keep him guessing.When you practice try dividing the match against an opponent into chapters defensivly offensivly and evading during a single match.That way youll get the hang of it faster.

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
of course,if you are mindgamed by your opponent,its pretty difficult to stick with that strategy.

Skler

Smash Master
in order to make it so the other character cant DI out of this combo, you have to know ur hitboxes well, thats all. hit them on the correct part and anticipate correct DI. it is possible to do a non-DI able 0 - death... you just have to wavedash to the correct spot to pull off the next move precisely.
That combo can always be DIed out of, and they don't even need smash DI to do it. As long as they DI the first dsmash the next one would not be sweetspotted (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the first one was sweetspotted) and non-sweetspotted dsmashes can be DIed so far it amazes me. Try one on a fox who is at 80 damage, he can go more horizontal than he goes up (not sure if it's with smash DI, but the dsmash has enough lag to make it impossible to get a real combo off the hit when DIed).

Besides they can always DI off stage (this, of course, should always end in them losing a stock unless they kept their double jump).

Not trying to be mean or anything, just letting you know link has no perfect combos like that (but at around 40% on space animals he can combo them to death with uthrow, dash attacks and utilts into a dair, fair or nair).

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Link is definitely my primary character, since even though I'm still learning all his tricks and whatnot I'm still pretty insane with him. I spam the boomerang a lot. Most people tell me it's useless, some people don't even bother dodging the boomerang "because it only does 2 damage". But it's more of a distraction/annoyance/mind game of mine, and I'll get the occasional boomerang-bomb/arrow-sword hitting all at the same time, with the sword happening slightly after everything else for knockback effect. But Like I said, I'm not the most technical Link around, but I'm comfortable with him and my strategical use of him is pretty **** good. In other words, I don't combo with him much like you would with, say, shiek, but I get the job done, and if I ever get around to combo-ing I'm gonna be insane.

Enough rambling. So I focus mainly on using projectiles to annoy my opponent and make them get close to me, then I get in the fray and kick some *** :) Sometimes I overly spam the spin-slash, but when I use it sparingly it's usually for the better :D

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
I use link depending on the situation, but I use alot of proyectiles. ALOT.
When I get them into a grab i usually try to get the best out of it, sometimes grabbing them from 0 to death:)

Nebuor316

Smash Rookie
Green- Balanced link

favorite move: fair/up-B

i take out the bomb jus about wenever at least a lil space n boomerang in their face

Nebuor316

Smash Rookie
Green- Balanced link

favorite move: fair/up-B

i take out the bomb jus about wenever i get at least a lil space which is all the time n boomerang in their face

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
normally,i use the boomerang and bow for retreating jumps,just in case when my opponent want to attack,is it still useful to use against high tier characters?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I use bomb to dair combos like they're jesus, and sometimes I super jump like a madman. It's hard for a good player to explain how they play because a good player feels the character, feels when they miss an L-Cancel or a character runs slow.Stupid brain, making me feel what my eyes see:mad:

Skler

Smash Master
AISER I BEAT YOU AT CAT3 YOU'RE WRONG! WHAT ARE YOU SOME SORT OF NOOB!? [/asshat]

Lol, your sig owns. We shoulda recorded all Link dittos done at cat3 and put them on the link boards for fun. Maybe some were recorded, but I doubt it. I got 33rd going all Link (except against Kaiser, and I ended up losing the set anyways). I might be going to Smashtality 3, you guys should all go if I can!

Top Bottom