• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you start a match?

listentomook

Smash Apprentice
I always habitually start off with a spin dash.... i feel i become over predictable...what do you all do to eff with peoples head in the starting seconds?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Down taunt. COME ON, STEP IT UP! Especially if you just won a match against them before that one.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I never start the match with a spin dash... I usually want the option of a grab. So some kind of running/shield grabbing is optimal. I wouldn't even bother with aerials at the start until you get a feel for your opponent's spacing.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Depends on the character.

With projectile spammers like Pit/arrow spamming Tlink/Baby sphere Lucario, it's best to start with a Spindash just to close the gap and clash with their projectile. Against characters who spawn items at the beginning of a match (Snake/Link with bombs) just go straight for the grab, because you will always get it. For a high priority projectile spammer (Shiek/Falco), use the homing attack to get over it. Non-projectile characters are the hardest to figure out, so just try to approach as you normally would.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yeah, while we're at it, we can play with items, and lvl 9 CPUs. Because that's totally a signature of owning.

You really want me to beat people on WFC? I'll just pick Lucario/Pit, spam and run away. Mebbe Kirby with Vulcan Jabs. It's that easy.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I start the match by turning on the Wii. Once I access Brawl I go to Group then switch to stock because no one likes time. After that you press start and choose a level.

kradraef13

Smash Rookie
I flick it across that paper stuff that the matches come in.
Usually lights the match pretty well.
Unless it breaks. ._.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
To play mindgames with characters with no projectiles, I do the down taunt, and if they are slow, side taunt to make a whole sentence that is short, insulting, and gets to the point.

If you are serious about starting a match try SHFairs, maybe a spin dash, and to kick it up a notch, jump and dair.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lol, answering seriously, I usually start my matches with grab pummels then Uthrow to Uair. After that the damage is usually good enough for a SpinDash/Charge or ASC Combo, or to start SHFair combos.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
If I'm playing Falco, ROB, Pit, *Proyectile spammer* I run, powershield the proyectile, run + shiledgrab...

If not, I:
-Run, then ASC... Cancel if needed
-Spin Charge, jump, Up B, Dair, etc
-Run, Spin Dash cancel, run + Shiledgrab
-Etc, Etc, Blah Blah Blah (Not remeber what else, but I do other stuff)

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
i charge the downB it's increadibly fast (faster that sonics dashing) and when i wait for the right time i launch and usually get a hit...
when i don't a hit in, chanses are they sheild it/sidestep, they wont have enough speed to catch a full charged one...

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the stage, if there's platforms, I usually actually spend the first 10 or so seconds just outrunning the opponent to get a feel for their attack patterns... it also frustrates them when you just run out and peck a hit here and there without making the fight actually progress, which always works in your favor :)

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
Depending on the stage, if there's platforms, I usually actually spend the first 10 or so seconds just outrunning the opponent to get a feel for their attack patterns... it also frustrates them when you just run out and peck a hit here and there without making the fight actually progress, which always works in your favor :)
when i face someone i cant beat, thats what i do!
u wuddent belive how many wolfs ive beaten!
i run 2 1 side of t3h stage side taunt and run to the other *repeat*

NNID
MasterHavik
I kick my foe in the nuts and do a DDT XD. Anyway, I wait for them to make first move, and take the shot to get lead early in the match.

Top Bottom