• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do you play your zelda?

Zone

Smash Champion
All I'm saying is that if you have the opportunity to jab, I'm sure there are other things you could do in it's place. Then again, I guess I wouldn't know because I don't use it that often. I'll make a mental note of this and try it out next time I play.
Kicking over and over again at approaching enemies is predictable after a while. So when for example captain falcon starts dash dancing around, to try and trick me into missing a kick. I just stand there and jab when he approaches with pretty much any ground move whether it's dash attack or a grab. I even have success in stoping appraoching aerials. And since jab stuns them, you have a choice of a move before they can retaliate (usually). but they usually have a choice of defense. Which is what I ment by choosing accordingly, and making a good prediction.

Edit: Smash attack can stop an approaching grab and such as well. Just note it's not as fast to recover from if you miss as jab is. I have way more success in stopping approaches with a jab than smash attack. Basically jab = safer, and you get a chance at a follow up. While Smash attack or tilters are more likely to get hit but with bigger results if it works.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
Well, after playing my friend today, he played it safe and nearly never approached me. Which, in my book, works pretty well against Zelda. Which really brought up no chances of a jab. I mean, sure, if you have an opponent who doesn't like to run the clock, then it might be useful, but I don't think a jab can be used that much. The rarity of it is what makes for the mind game. And while the priority of it is nice, and it sets up well at most percents, it just can't really be used rigorously. I'm not here to tell you what's right or wrong, and I'm certainly no Zelda master, but I'm just throwing out my opinion of the jab's usefulness. Also, you shouldn't get punished for missing a fair/bair. They are near lag-less, you can either wave land after one, or you can throw out two, no matter what, you shouldn't get owned for missing a kick. If you're doing your stuff right, your spacing should keep you outta harm's way. With the exception of faster characters like Fox who just get up in your grill and won't back off.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, the jab is fine, disregard my posts. I see how the jab can help keep your spacing while allowing you to make an attack on your open opponent. Although it still depends on the situation.

Zone

Smash Champion
Well, after playing my friend today, he played it safe and nearly never approached me. Which, in my book, works pretty well against Zelda. Which really brought up no chances of a jab. I mean, sure, if you have an opponent who doesn't like to run the clock, then it might be useful, but I don't think a jab can be used that much. The rarity of it is what makes for the mind game. And while the priority of it is nice, and it sets up well at most percents, it just can't really be used rigorously. I'm not here to tell you what's right or wrong, and I'm certainly no Zelda master, but I'm just throwing out my opinion of the jab's usefulness. Also, you shouldn't get punished for missing a fair/bair. They are near lag-less, you can either wave land after one, or you can throw out two, no matter what, you shouldn't get owned for missing a kick. If you're doing your stuff right, your spacing should keep you outta harm's way. With the exception of faster characters like Fox who just get up in your grill and won't back off.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, the jab is fine, disregard my posts.
I'm desregarding the jab part like you asked.

But you can get punished for kicks against certain characters which is why we can't spam the kick in their direction (even if it is spaced). And you can't do anything instantly out of them, unless you use the kick a split second before hitting the ground an L-cancel it, or you're doing a retreating F-air or B-air. If your doing an approaching F-air or b-air to try and catch their advance off guard, it's punishable by fast characters like captain falcon fox or falco. But you're right anyone else like samus or Peach you can outrange and be safe with a kick most likely. Not Marth though >.>;

Darkmusician

Smash Master

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, the jab is fine, disregard my posts. I see how the jab can help keep your spacing while allowing you to make an attack on your open opponent. Although it still depends on the situation.
It's fairly easy to punish missed kicks. Not only fox, but marth, CF and sheik punish with ease.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I like Zelda's jab. Sure, a faster or more powerful jab would be better, but it has its uses.

SaiXander

Smash Apprentice
Augusta/Charleston, South Carolina, basically.
I'm developing my Zelda.... but I pretty much just dodge around waiting for a good enough opening for a fair/bair.
On occasions I will take initiative and settle for a juggle instead of a kick-- have to get that damage up somehow, right?

Yep, I just do stuff until the kick kills them.
Dodge, Kick, Repeat.

Zone

Smash Champion
I sometimes spot dodge... Then immedately say, "Crap" When I realize I'm not Shiek Marth or Fox.

Zone

Smash Champion
Maybe Zelda isn't for you, if you have character schizophrenia.

"I tried to shine, but after this bright light, I was a man!"
No, Zelda's Spot dodge sucks, unless you're spot dodging Bowser smash attack or ganondorf's smash. you're gonna get punished.

Edit: Nevermind I realized you were joking lol. I thought you were being serious. And I don't get confused about movesets lol. Just defense, since all characters have a shield, Spot dodge, Roll, Wavedash.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I spam the kick. What can I say? It's just too tempting. I generally don't play against people who are able to punish them, seeing as how the only people I can play with are casual. I love it when I miss the kick, they go "Hah!", then I kick them again and sweetspot it. The speed ability to do the move twice in one jump just makes me so happy.

I also tend to switch between Zelda/Sheik when I sense my opponent is getting used to my fighting style. I'm not amazing with either of them, but switching does seem to work somehow. My friends seem to always forget that just because I can't chainthrow with Zelda...

Of course, if I'm facing someone good, the results aren't as extreme.

I also tend to switch if my opponents strategy/character is better for Zelda/Sheik. I can't beat Ganondorf in the air for the life of me, so, what do I do? Make some space with one well placed shffl'ed bair (generally all I need depending) and transform. Or if I've been hit really far, I switch if the opponent can't reach me in time.

Or it depends on whether or not I've watched anime recently (ninjas everywhere!).

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
When an opponent gets aggressive, fleeing with shffled bairs works wonders. Hop, bair, fall, bair, hop bair, fall, bair... moving completely away from them the whole time.

*Sighs* Man, I wish we knew something about Zelda on Brawl...

TheLake

Smash Master
Well we DO know her costumes are by far the coolest! (Dark zelda main perhaps?)

Oh and I love "walking" with my already impossibly slow zelda. Makes things appear more epic when I dish out those kicks. I also love zeldas tilts and down throw. Oh and shes normally quite blue.

Geist

Smash Master
i manage to chain her ftilt with fastfallers until they get annoyed they try to DI and get a high heel to the face.
sheild grabbing is by far my best option. i can nail a bair or fair right out of a dthrow.
between that i space myself and shffl my kicks, typicaly edgeguard with dsmash and frustrate falcos with nayru's love.

i am so using dark zelda >.> omg.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I haven't visited the zelda forum in a while

anyways, aside from double fair/bairs, I mixup with fair/bair +waveland, and kick+fsmash
i'm not the best with grabs, but a grab on a space animal usually means death with upthrow chaining and bair if they DI behind. (The people I play against don't allow shieldgrabs anyways).

also, I am one of the few zeldas that always aims for the sweetspot on the ledge first before trying to land on stage with upB. Probably because I like zelda's upB stall, and because i'm proficient at kicking onto the stage with a ledgehop fair, or plain wavelanding.

I like pivoted fsmashes, I can get those 95%. I also just go crouch cancel pivot fsmashes once in a while. I upsmash out of shield to catch opponents above me, and use falling nairs to combo into kicks.

I also use what Zoap and Kawn term "walt disneys", a.k.a. the uptilt, and try to hit with the back, which has decent KO power (floaties at ~110%)

If i feel bold, then i jump off for a dair spike, which happens less often now that my opponents are much better.

what else... uairs when i feel that i can reach with one, because it extends zelda's reach quite a bit upwards.
oh yeaa, nayru out of shield, works as a quick way to knock non shielding opponents away. The last hit hits couch cancelers far enough so that they can't retaliate (except maybe marth)

edit: I just read choknater's post, and I actually do a lot of stuff he does too. including dsmash, jabs, ftilt (except i pivot these sometimes), and camp.
I can change zelda playing styles at will, from spammy to campy to spacy (can't really describe them)

yeaa.. zelda is fun

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really pro or fancy so I just make liberal use of her dash attack and ftilt and then follow up with a kick. A bit predictable, yes, but it works on my friends so who's complaining.

I used to spam kicks all over the place, then i got better at connecting with it.

Joybuzzy

Smash Rookie
I'm not a good player playing Zelda, my sister plays her instead and I play Link. But I would play Sheik since he is faster and he's got a whip-thing. =3

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
With teams, if my brother is using Mewtwo, then I have him disable the opponent, so I do one of those large magic blasts, that KO people easily.

But if I'm alone, I mainly teleport to get around behind him and kick and attack him.

If I can get any videos of my playing, I'll post some. :D

Top Bottom