• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do you play your zelda?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
well like it say im intrested in comparing my self to my fellow zelda players. i spam her f-air like crazy and use her d-smash for spacing and a whole lot of sheild graping. a try and fit a little combo in here and there. and her f-smash for edge guarding purposes. theres more i just dont feel like saying it all. well let me in.

Zone

Smash Champion
In Blue and occasionally pink if someone starts the match before I can change colors.

In all seriousness though, why start this thread if your not gonna put forth the effort of telling more in depth how ur zelda is played, than just "I kick alot, and i sometimes use F-smash as a ledge guard, and I kick alot."

Anyways, if anyone wants to know how I play just read my critiques on other people. That's how I handle things, and until I see a better Idea i'll stick with my plan.

IF anyone is playing Zelda their Style should be "Precise, and careful with good anticipation" If it's anything other than that I may be a little worried.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Red, unless some ******* steals it, then I'm blue. :p Green if I'm teamed with someone who absolutely has to be green...

IF anyone is playing Zelda their Style should be "Precise, and careful with good anticipation" If it's anything other than that I may be a little worried.
Hey, that's my style.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
I press down+b... ;)
In Blue and occasionally pink if someone starts the match before I can change colors.

In all seriousness though, why start this thread if your not gonna put forth the effort of telling more in depth how ur zelda is played, than just "I kick alot, and i sometimes use F-smash as a ledge guard, and I kick alot."

Anyways, if anyone wants to know how I play just read my critiques on other people. That's how I handle things, and until I see a better Idea i'll stick with my plan.

because i was in school when i typed it god. but any way i agree with you about being precise and what have which i feel is the only effective way too play her.

o ya down+b= sheik=my main lol:)

Zone

Smash Champion
because i was in school when i typed it god. but any way i agree with you about being precise and what have which i feel is the only effective way too play her.

o ya down+b= sheik=my main lol:)
lol, what you doing typing that in school? Slacker!!
Anyways I wasn't trying to be a butt, just curious.

Red, unless some ******* steals it, then I'm blue. :p Green if I'm teamed with someone who absolutely has to be green...

Hey, that's my style.
It was my style first!

nicaboy

Smash Champion
lol, what you doing typing that in school? Slacker!!
Anyways I wasn't trying to be a butt, just curious.

It was my style first!
haha i dont care but i have alot of spare time in school and lately i've been playing zelda against many top teir charcters and winning so i wanna get better with her. so thats why am here

Saku

Smash Cadet
I think of a cross between Sakura Kasugano and Karin Kanzuki when I think of how I play.
Utilizing strength and attack variety, I pierce through even high-priority techniques and defenses due to supposedly blind rushing.
But I also have a thing for being the counter type, and will punish any one who makes the mistake of charging at me when I'm just standing still and waiting.

Especially against heavy characters, I love using A > F-A > F-A > F-A > Diagonal F-A > Aerial F-A.

Zone

Smash Champion
I think of a cross between Sakura Kasugano and Karin Kanzuki when I think of how I play.
Utilizing strength and attack variety, I pierce through even high-priority techniques and defenses due to supposedly blind rushing.
But I also have a thing for being the counter type, and will punish any one who makes the mistake of charging at me when I'm just standing still and waiting.

Especially against heavy characters, I love using A > F-A > F-A > F-A > Diagonal F-A > Aerial F-A.
It's sad that the combo u just said, only works if ur enemy helps you make it work by being dumb with DI lol

WaveShiner X

Smash Apprentice
The way i play my zelda is by sheilding my opponet's attack then jump cancel B attack fairs and dairs depending which way thay go and nairs when i miss the first dair or fair. After i knock them off the stage, I grab the ledge and do some up B's back on to the ledge. If i grab my opponet i alway throw them up so i can either do a nair or dash attack. oh and i also counter pick jungle japes and camp on the left platform

I own rapid assassin times 9000

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I have no "style" with Zelda really. At the time there were very few actual matches to draw ideas from. Even today I just get new ideas from experimenting in friendlies.

It just...feels comfortable when I use her. I guess the two of us just hit it off really well.

Intuition, patience, spacing. That it in a nutshell.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
I have no "style" with Zelda really. At the time there were very few actual matches to draw ideas from. Even today I just get new ideas from experimenting in friendlies.

It just...feels comfortable when I use her. I guess the two of us just hit it off really well.

Intuition, patience, spacing. That it in a nutshell.
patience spacing is a definate for zelda seeing as she not quick on her feet. also shield graping like crazy

thedarkyoshi

Smash Cadet
Ok, so ur all l9ke good with zelda rite? well I'm okay with zelda, but i got some tips. I'll put one here, then check out my Zelda tips post. If you really want to get good with zelda try switching from zelda to sheik and vis versa. Keep you opponent adjusting to the speed change. It really works great. Not good with Sheik? DOn't worry. I got good with her by just copying someguy's technique. It was easy! just go to youtube watch a guy play sheik and copy it.

psychic turnip

Smash Apprentice
I first off dont wavdash with her I think its to short then i will say i like to anticipate movement and try to do the best possible attack for that moment I like to trick people with forlors wind when there off the edge I usaully use Dins fire barely jump after them to intercept because i have a tendency to mess it up i do f-air and b-air when possably and when i want to get space from opponet i use naru's love and down b and thats about it.

probably lots of spelling errors

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I camp. I mean like, seriously camp. I stand by the ledge, and I just stand there if no one comes to me. I roll a lot. I abuse the invincibility frames of Nayru's Love, especially out of my shield. I powershield sometimes. I spam ground neutral A to stop basically any approach that isn't disjointed or a projectile. I like ftilt and utilt and usmash cuz they are pretty, beautiful, and are actually pretty good moves. Fsmash sometimes, it stops a lot of stuff. Dsmash is quick. I also really like uair because its entire hitbox is huge and disjointed, so you can pop someone from underneath a platform, for example if you threw them up there and they are techrolling it. I really use ground neutral A a lot.... like that is my main move.

I only kick if it's necessary lol, a lot of times it isn't, and people usually see them coming.

I call her utilt "beauty attack" and it is one of my favorite finishers.

As stupid and mindless as my Zelda style may sound, it is surprisingly and amazingly effective. I've really fallen in love with this character. I should put up some vids of my style lol.

Playing this way allows me to see many, MANY flaws in the styles of other Zelda players. I bet this is what HugS sees when he watches other supposedly 'faster and more technical' people play Samus... it's really interesting.

(Btw, I main Ice Climbers and I post a lot in there... Recently I've been picking up the rest of the female characters <3 just because they are cute. Zelda is by far my favorite to play right now.)

Zone

Smash Champion
I camp. I mean like, seriously camp. I stand by the ledge, and I just stand there if no one comes to me. I roll a lot. I abuse the invincibility frames of Nayru's Love, especially out of my shield. I powershield sometimes. I spam ground neutral A to stop basically any approach that isn't disjointed or a projectile. I like ftilt and utilt and usmash cuz they are pretty, beautiful, and are actually pretty good moves. Fsmash sometimes, it stops a lot of stuff. Dsmash is quick. I also really like uair because its entire hitbox is huge and disjointed, so you can pop someone from underneath a platform, for example if you threw them up there and they are techrolling it. I really use ground neutral A a lot.... like that is my main move.

I only kick if it's necessary lol, a lot of times it isn't, and people usually see them coming.

I call her utilt "beauty attack" and it is one of my favorite finishers.

As stupid and mindless as my Zelda style may sound, it is surprisingly and amazingly effective. I've really fallen in love with this character. I should put up some vids of my style lol.

Playing this way allows me to see many, MANY flaws in the styles of other Zelda players. I bet this is what HugS sees when he watches other supposedly 'faster and more technical' people play Samus... it's really interesting.

(Btw, I main Ice Climbers and I post a lot in there... Recently I've been picking up the rest of the female characters <3 just because they are cute. Zelda is by far my favorite to play right now.)
Yea Jab priority ftw!. STanding there and just jabbing grabs and approaching knees is fun. Which Is why i'm trying to practice Jabcanceling >.>

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Yea Jab priority ftw!. STanding there and just jabbing grabs and approaching knees is fun. Which Is why i'm trying to practice Jabcanceling >.>
No relevance to this particular post, but I've been absent from the zeldaboards for a while now, and I just realized upon returning that Zone is from Panama. I guess cause I just finished a spanish presentation on Panama, and discussed panama city and stuff. It's suppposed to have a really nice "skyline." Zone, do you actually live in Panama? What's your story, you mysterious Panamanian firefighter who speaks fluent English?

Magus420

Smash Master
Jabcancelling doesn't make Zelda do them any faster than normal. It's used to cancel follow up jab windows that some characters have and Zelda only has one jab. You could use it to interrupt it during the IASA frames with a crouch, but you can do that with just about any other movement/attack.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
No relevance to this particular post, but I've been absent from the zeldaboards for a while now, and I just realized upon returning that Zone is from Panama. I guess cause I just finished a spanish presentation on Panama, and discussed panama city and stuff. It's suppposed to have a really nice "skyline." Zone, do you actually live in Panama? What's your story, you mysterious Panamanian firefighter who speaks fluent English?
>_>

<_<

What if he's from Panama City, Florida?

*runs*

Zone

Smash Champion

>_>

<_<

What if he's from Panama City, Florida?

*runs*
Jabcancelling doesn't make Zelda do them any faster than normal. It's used to cancel follow up jab windows that some characters have and Zelda only has one jab. You could use it to interrupt it during the IASA frames with a crouch, but you can do that with just about any other movement/attack.
you sure? cuz I feel like its faster (Don't get me wrong it's not like SUPER FAST but faster). Not to mention it's easy to do regardless, I already got it down pretty good now. It's not just zelda i'm learning to do it with either. But Zelda's jab stood out to me cuz of it's priority abilities.

he's right lol Florida

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Can't say it's a great strategy (haven't played against enough people to know), but I usually combine Zelda and Sheik. I tend to start off with Sheik and do a tilt-fest to rack up damage. After between 70-90% (depends on the weight and floatiness) I switch to Zelda and use Utilt, F/Bair, and Fsmash to KO. Bthrow + edge guarding is fun too.

Not a very indepth strategy, but it's fun for me, and the changing helps break up the monotony of playing CPUs all the time ;) .

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Spamming the same move over and over breaks up the montony of playign CPUs all the time.
Most things that work on CPUs don't work on humans, keep that in mind (since CPUs do the same thing over and over + lack the ability to think and read things). But hey, I guess some people just enjoy taking advantage of mindless dolls.

Also, Sheik is better to use for finishing off opponents compared to Zelda, she has way more opportunties to land a critcial hit (whether it be a Fair, Bair, Uair, Dsmash, etc.). For instance, she can actually combo into finishers while Zelda always has to space/look for openings.

And switching=very punishable by any player who knows what he's doing. Either use just Sheik, or just Zelda.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Spamming the same move over and over breaks up the montony of playign CPUs all the time.
lol, that seems contradictory. I'll take your word for it ;).

Most things that work on CPUs don't work on humans, keep that in mind (since CPUs do the same thing over and over + lack the ability to think and read things). But hey, I guess some people just enjoy taking advantage of mindless dolls.
Oh I know, I know. It's just that all my friends are X-box/PS fans, so I'm kinda lacking in the whole "human" factor.

Also, Sheik is better to use for finishing off opponents compared to Zelda, she has way more opportunties to land a critcial hit (whether it be a Fair, Bair, Uair, Dsmash, etc.). For instance, she can actually combo into finishers while Zelda always has to space/look for openings.
True true. But like I've said elsewhere, I just play the game casually and I like how I play right now. Seeing all the insane stuff you pros do in your videos is pretty sick, but not how I really want to play the game.

That being said, thanks for the tips ;) .

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yup yup, and it's totally fine if you just play that way. Fun=only thing that matters :p

Zone

Smash Champion
The only time I switch is if Fox is lazer camping me. Or I'm like 2 stocks down on Zelda >.>;

Magus420

Smash Master
Yeah you're right. For whatever reason, you can interrupt her jab during the IASA window with every other ground A button attack or movement except another jab. Go figure =P

It works out to be 2 frames faster when timed perfectly. I never really noticed since I do this anyway (a lot more with Ganon who also has 1 jab), but primarily for the ASDI CC effect you get by holding down & away while doing it rather than for actually trying to do them faster.

Zone

Smash Champion
Yeah you're right. For whatever reason, you can interrupt her jab during the IASA window with every other ground A button attack or movement except another jab. Go figure =P

It works out to be 2 frames faster when timed perfectly. I never really noticed since I do this anyway (a lot more with Ganon who also has 1 jab), but primarily for the ASDI CC effect you get by holding down & away while doing it rather than for actually trying to do them faster.
ah ok, makes sense. If I nail a jab in though I usually go with some kinda of follow up like dash attack, smash, or grab if they like to shield after a jab. Another jab isn't really gonna do much.

so perhaps like Jab on shield, then cancel that to a downtilt shield poke on a high % enemy ftw?

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's alright to start your offensive with jabs; while they lead to some good things, like dash attacks and grabs, they are also quite laggy and can put you farther from your goal then you were hoping. I for one, might upsmash out of shield, then start my offensive like that. Though, for mindgames, you could wavedash back out of your shield and pull off a jab from there, ala Samus. Besides, you aren't gonna get many hits in before you have to back off again, that's just the way it is. Zelda can't catch up to her opponents like Falcon, so it'd be best to just to lay off when you think it's safe.

Zone

Smash Champion
I don't think it's alright to start your offensive with jabs; while they lead to some good things, like dash attacks and grabs, they are also quite laggy and can put you farther from your goal then you were hoping. I for one, might upsmash out of shield, then start my offensive like that. Though, for mindgames, you could wavedash back out of your shield and pull off a jab from there, ala Samus. Besides, you aren't gonna get many hits in before you have to back off again, that's just the way it is. Zelda can't catch up to her opponents like Falcon, so it'd be best to just to lay off when you think it's safe.
Um... I don't attack with it. I out prioritize with it. I don't run up and jab if that's waht your thinking.

Jab > approaching grabs + some aerial.

EDIT: So basically my jab will NEVER touch someone's shield.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
All I'm saying is that if you have the opportunity to jab, I'm sure there are other things you could do in it's place. Then again, I guess I wouldn't know because I don't use it that often. I'll make a mental note of this and try it out next time I play.

Top Bottom