• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I become ambidextrous?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Alright, I know that the hand you use primarily is a genetic thing, but I want to be able to use both hands proficiently.

Anyone know how I can do that?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Start using your other hand more?

I mean, practice makes perfect.

I can draw with both hands at the same time.

Playing musical instruments might help strengthen your coodrination, as well.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I can draw with both hands at the same time.

that's pretty redic.
I'd like to see someone do that in real life.

could you draw two separate pictures or just one picture. I think doing just one picture would be alot harder because you would have to focus on two different angles on what you are drawing at the same time.

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
that's pretty redic.
I'd like to see someone do that in real life.

could you draw two separate pictures or just one picture. I think doing just one picture would be alot harder because you would have to focus on two different angles on what you are drawing at the same time.
My dumb *** friend can do that, he says it impresses the girls. O_o

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Just use your other hand. I learnt how to use my left hand because my mouse is for right handers only tbf tbh.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Just use your other hand. I learnt how to use my left hand because my mouse is for right handers only tbf tbh.
This.

For certain things, I'm not comfortable using my right hand, ie holding my cell phone or using my iPod, and there are certain things I can't do very well, like writing.

Also, Azua has a good point with musical instruments - Euphonium/Baritone, Valve Trombone, and Trumpet are good examples. When I played the Valve Trombone, I held it with my left hand & used my right hand for the valves. I eventually learned how to play it by holding it just with my right hand, but I did that very rarely because it was uncomfortable.

The Boss of God

Smash Apprentice
The best method to becoming ambidextrous is constant use of your non-dominant hand. Make sure you're writing with your left hand every day. Don't even think about writing with your right hand, and if it tries to pick up the pencil, repress it. Trust me, you will actually be forced to adapt.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Genetics and age shouldn't be ruled out in this equation, though. Genetics can sometimes completely overpower people's goals, or be a mild obstacle, or not interfere at all, or AID ... and so on. And the older you are, the less likely you are to overcome genetic predetermination or preconceptions.

But yeah, practice. Even if you can't become fully ambidextrous, you can always get better.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yea, we're studying genetics in biology and that's what made me think about it. I'll do my best because being ambidextrous would really help in the long run.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Using your other hand is probably like trying to learn a new language: After a certain age, it becomes very hard to do so.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Playing video games probably doesn't help, since most of the controllers on the console games seems to put the more focused/emphasized button on the right side.

... Unless that's how left-handed people become ambidextrous... :/

You know, what would becoming ambidextrous do for me anyway? I'm not going to play playing instruments anytime soon in the future, and again if I continue to game like I do, I won't really need my left hand for much (or at least compared to my right hand).

M@v

Subarashii!
I can shoot a gun(rifle/pistol) ambidextrous, and it doesn't affect my accuracy at all. Some people look at me like thats amazing, but I've just always been able to do it. You should see me shoot pistols at the range xD. I usually shoot pistols right handed, but I'm left eye dominant. I can not write/draw with my left hand. I don't think I'll ever be able too.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Using your other hand is probably like trying to learn a new language: After a certain age, it becomes very hard to do so.
I was gonna say that exact same thing. So yea, just practice doing everything with the hand you don't normally do

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Playing video games probably doesn't help, since most of the controllers on the console games seems to put the more focused/emphasized button on the right side.

... Unless that's how left-handed people become ambidextrous... :/

You know, what would becoming ambidextrous do for me anyway? I'm not going to play playing instruments anytime soon in the future, and again if I continue to game like I do, I won't really need my left hand for much (or at least compared to my right hand).
You are confusing ambidexterity with cross-dominance.

I can flip hotcakes with my left hand. And for some wierd reason I write with my right but kick a soccer ball with the left.
You're like my cousin. I'm the other way around, kick with my right, write with my left. Despite being right-footed, I snowboard "goofy".

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Care to enlighten me what cross dominance is?

I still don't see the point in mastery of using both hands unless you tend to become a musician.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh okay.

...I am also afraid of how you got that link up... but it doesn't matter, you convinced me to start google searching more often now.

...That was still creepy though.

M.K

Level 55
I write with my left hand because I use to suck my index/middle finger on my right hand when I was little, so I would use my left hand to perform simple tasks like opening a door or, go figure, coloring/drawing

Geist

Smash Master
I'm ambidextrous, but I was born with it. I have a friend, on the other hand who was right handed, broke his arm, and learned how to write with his left hand pretty fluently.
I also know people who are so uncoordinated they can't even walk and talk without drifting in another direction or stumbling on walls.

It's generally genetics, but it is possible to learn by forcing yourself to do things. It's kind of like language after a while in that case though - if you don't use it you lose it.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
honestly all you can do is practice with your less dominant hand
im switchy because i was lefty and catholic school tried to screw me up and always put the pencil in my right hand but i worked on that for a while and i got alright with bolth hands

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I skimmed, but really, to learn how to write with your non-dominant hand - buy a book on beginning writing for kids and use your non-dominant hand for it. It seems stupid, but when you are a kid, how do you learn how to write?

I also taught myself to do this last night, and my fingers are noticeably more agile already after a few repetitions:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/327336/how_to_roll_a_coin_across_your_knuckles/

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
My dad was born left handed, but learned to use it because they forced him to.

Sports that require you to use both hands help. Lacrosse is like that, where using both hands helps a lot.

IDK other sports that require that, Hockey maybe. Just do stuff with your left hand whenever you can, I know for a fact that typing all the time has helped my left hand.

Penultimate

Smash Rookie
I bat in cricket left handed for some reason, probably by watching other lefthanders when i was young..
I tried to write my name with my left hand just yesterday, the result was quite OK...

So yeah, just practice

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Well my friend, start off by writing with your non-dominant hand. Then start playing sports! In my opinion, racket sports will help train your non-dominant hand.

I won't say that I am ambidextrous, but I am decent with my non-dominant hand (My left hand).

Cheers and all the best.

Smash Master
When I first picked up baseball, I was ******** and thought you wore the glove on your dominant hand. Now I can switch-pitch :). I can also shoot a basketball from either side. I've tried writing, but I gave up when it looked like vomit.

ZenRaika

Smash Rookie
Not to sure, not ambidextrous myself. I'd say try to use the hand you often wouldn't use for the whole day and alternate until you can coordinate with both hands efficiently.

Top Bottom