• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can FD gimp recoveries?

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I never knew it as a Neutrual Stage at all. The only ones I kno/can remmber right now are Lylat,FD,Battlefield, and Yoshi's island those are the ones I usually play on
Is Smashville still neutral?

On topic, I like Final Destination alright, you jsut have to get used to the way the lip works. It's not as heavily playable as it was in Melee, but Smashville makes a good substitute to break up the monotony.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I couldn't see Smashville not being Neutral, for whatever reason.

Yeah Final D is alright I guess..It's nothing like Melee FD, but once you get used to where the lip gay's you, you try to avoid it more, which is good.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The lip is lame, but i use Toon Link whos recovery is amazing, and i dont have to worry about it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've seen the following:

Samus: She'll use her Screw Attack only to find herself rolling under the lip on FD.
Snake: He'll get caught under the lip when he uses Cypher seeing after using that you really can't move around anywhere else.
Ness or Lucas: He'll be under the lip and use his PK Thunder only to find out that his PK Thunder was blocked by the lip of FD. Though you can ride up on the wall of FD after using your PK Jibaku, most of the time neither boy will grab the ledge.
Mario or Luigi: He has a better chance of recovering under the lip, but most of the time his fist won't slide against the lip to grab the ledge. Same thing applies to Luigi. The only difference is that he doesn't slide up, just flies up.

Eff it, I'm not going to write up a whole list of 39 characters. The fact is is that the lip sucks and now your best stage is Smashville.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Neutral? Hell no.
Certain characters owned on that field (Im looking at you fox and falco).

Anyways, the new FD lip is just annoying people because they are not used to it. And really it only GIMPs certain characters (marth, ike, DK, etc.) once the game is first played and after a few rounds its easy to get used to.
fox and falco are both extrememly vulnerable to chaingrabbing on that stage, but yes, Melee FD does lack much of the nutrality that some people say it has

Uffe

Smash Hero
umm.... dont put yourself into a position to get under the lip

mmmkay
Easier said than done. I mean you don't always go under the lip, but sometimes it happens. Characters who can jump off walls probably have it better to avoid this but often times find themselves doing something completely different.

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
The lip really doesn't seem to be too much of a problem unless you play Marth or Ike. IIRC Wolf can illusion through the platform. Depending on the position, Fox/Falco may be able to DI until they are under the ledge , then UP+B straight up. That doesn't stop them from being edgeguarded though.

If you have quick reflexes, Snake can use his C4 recovery when stuck under the lip. The timing has to be almost perfect though, and doesn't work at high percentages too well.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
ITS A fine level just practice more recovery tactics.... get better
Ok, this is just a ******** post. People, even pro level players, get caught by this lip and have their recoveries gimped. You,sir, are a moran. This is just like all the idiots that say Don't get grabbed to DDD chain infinite and the Stall Grab from Marth to the earthbound kids.

umm.... dont put yourself into a position to get under the lip

mmmkay
I will say look at my response to the first quote i quoted.

Slike

Smash Cadet
When I used to main Ness... Oh man, that place was torcher. It's still funny to watch Ness rebound off the lip though. As for yoshi, his double jump does a good job of getting me out from under the lip, and the egg throw gets me back on stage.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
As a Lucario main, I actually don't really worry about the lip, since I can just UpB to wallcling, then jump off and pop up with a Bair or Dair. It's good times.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
A person new to Brawl will hate FD because they keep getting gimped.
A person new to Melee will hate FD because they keep getting gimped.

A person who knows brawl does not get gimped in FD.
A person who knows Melee does not get gimped in FD.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
A person new to Brawl will hate FD because they keep getting gimped.
A person new to Melee will hate FD because they keep getting gimped.

A person who knows brawl does not get gimped in FD.
A person who knows Melee does not get gimped in FD.
And how exactly, does Melee FD gimp someone? Melee's Battlefield can....

Is it going too far to say that Brawl's FD is Melee's BF? Although for different reasons. Battlefield was actually glitchy, while Brawl's FD is just made like that intentionally.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
And how exactly, does Melee FD gimp someone? Melee's Battlefield can....

Is it going too far to say that Brawl's FD is Melee's BF? Although for different reasons. Battlefield was actually glitchy, while Brawl's FD is just made like that intentionally.
I actually do say that a lot, they just swapped places basically.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
How can't it gimp recoverys is a better question.

FooXero

Smash Cadet
Instant recipe for failure:

Step 1: Make one player pick Dedede, and another... Let's say Snake.
Step 2: (On FD, of course) Make D3 stand next to the edge of the stage facing inwards
Step 3: Make D3 suck up Snake with B, jump off, then shoot Snake out under the lip.
Step 4: Assuming Snake doesn't have an insanely high amount of damage, DI away from the stage.
Step 5: C4 jump your way back on the stage =)

X-Quizit614

Smash Rookie
It's a *****, but once when you actually get used to it, it's not that hard. I think I got caught in it one good time or another tho.... **** lip

Safu

Smash Cadet
Yeah i see this alot with charizard,snake,sonic and zelda i dont get caught in with ike but alittle with G&W
Also how does it make it a hassle with ivysaurs recovery?

Lockdown106

Smash Rookie
This is really not an issue for Snake at all because:

a.) Any good Snake player knows to recover high and not from below, and

b.) If you do recover low they can just grab the Cipher and you die regardless.

This has only minimal bearing on snake players, mainly the bad ones.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
FD's recovery can only really gimp a couple of characters.

By gimp, I mean ruin a persons recovery regardless of what action they take if they get caught in a certain situation.

The ONLY characters that can really get caught under FD (where they are still within recoverable distance but unable to get to the ledge*

-Yoshi
-Marth
-Diddy
-Bowser

And in some situations the earthbounders. Every other character you have the ability to make it to the edge with a cool head. I'm getting annoyed of people whining about their recovery being gimped because they mashed Up+B before they put themself into a good position to recover

Grandeza

Smash Master
FD's recovery can only really gimp a couple of characters.

By gimp, I mean ruin a persons recovery regardless of what action they take if they get caught in a certain situation.

The ONLY characters that can really get caught under FD (where they are still within recoverable distance but unable to get to the ledge*

-Yoshi
-Marth
-Diddy
-Bowser

And in some situations the earthbounders. Every other character you have the ability to make it to the edge with a cool head. I'm getting annoyed of people whining about their recovery being gimped because they mashed Up+B before they put themself into a good position to recover
Ehhh Diddy can angle himself to grab the ledge and not get gimped. Hard but do able consistently with practice.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if that was put there to annoy us or the stage designers were just not thinking hard enough, why couldn't they just use the old layout. :embarrass

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
I never really notice the lip's gimpiness unless I'm using a space animal. With them it's just a matter of getting used to it.

quillmert

Smash Rookie
Instead of pissing off about the lip constantly, you could just move away from the lip before you special jump, so it doesn't screw you.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
sometimes theres nothing you can do. You might be used to missing it. But in the heat of the battle, it can easily be done. Tourney match I done today. My oppoment got stuck twice.

Top Bottom