• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can FD gimp recoveries?

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Iv'e been seeing FD take alot of hate from evryone that it, "Gimps recoveries", "The background sucks","The music sucks",and "Evrybody picks it on WIfI", but I'm focusing on the first: "FD gimps recoveries".

Never in the 500-plus matches on FD ALONE I've played never has my recovery been gimped.

Quit whining, it won't do anything. My brothers friend does tend to pick it alot though....

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
That could explain why.
All of us are used to Final D in Melee, being the like, most neutral course in the world.
And now we all get pissy about the lip because of how dumb the lip is.

homsar

Smash Ace
All of us are used to Final D in Melee, being the like, most neutral course in the world.
Neutral? Hell no.
Certain characters owned on that field (Im looking at you fox and falco).

Anyways, the new FD lip is just annoying people because they are not used to it. And really it only GIMPs certain characters (marth, ike, DK, etc.) once the game is first played and after a few rounds its easy to get used to.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Haha yeah I forgot about those two.
I meant the course itself, having nothing particularly wrong with it.

And to add to yours Homsar, it gimps Snake to no tomorrow.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Never in the 500-plus matches on FD ALONE I've played never has my recovery been gimped.
Instant recipe for failure:

Step 1: Make one player pick Dedede, and another... Let's say Snake.
Step 2: (On FD, of course) Make D3 stand next to the edge of the stage facing inwards
Step 3: Make D3 suck up Snake with B, jump off, then shoot Snake out under the lip.

Falcoboot

Smash Rookie
i cant possibly begin to tell you how many matches i have lost when snake or falco dont make it over to the ledge.....dang FD. My brother just laughs when snake stays under the stage for 2 seconds until he falls to his doom.

Swordsrule

Smash Rookie
Definately agree here. With Melee, the stage had really no flaws other than that laser spammers could spam at will...
But now in brawl that **** lip has become the real opponent in some of my matches at FD... :chuckle:

Starting off as a zelda player, if i was underneath that lip that was it...because you couldnt teleport through it (why i'll never know...) and it was near impossible to guarantee a sweetspot edge teleport from directly below the lip...so i had to give up on zelda when playing there....Now with G&W it happens less frequently, but i've had a couple matches were i lost my last stock to that **** lip.... :dizzy:

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Uh... With a character like Zelda why don't you just take your time, drop down (while moving away from the lip of course), and then use up-B from far enough so you won't get gimped?

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
If you accidentally use PK Cannonball and hit the lip, you're screwed. Snake, Sonic, 3D, Kirby, and many more characters can get owned by that stupid lip...

Swordsrule

Smash Rookie
Uh... With a character like Zelda why don't you just take your time, drop down (while moving away from the lip of course), and then use up-B from far enough so you won't get gimped?
With zelda, her aerial movement is a slow drift...by the time i've moved away from underneath the lip i would have drifted more down than across. In addition, when performing the teleport she keeps her original momentum until she completes her teleportation, thus i'm drifting downwards already and then i have to wait a good second and a half for the teleport to go off, leaving me lower than the actual edge... sorry to say, but zelda's recovery is one of her greatest weaknesses... G&W makes up for that when it comes to FD.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion

Step 2: (On FD, of course) Make D3 stand next to the edge of the stage facing inwards
Step 3: Make D3 suck up Snake with B, jump off, then shoot Snake out under the lip.
stuff like that will kill you on other stages too, ie. battlefield, lylat, smashville

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
When I use Falco sometimes that lip...you know. But really, it's not that bad once you get used to it. Same with the music, the background, and the way everybody chooses it on wifi.

pockyD

Smash Legend
only because, even after 4 months, people are still too dumb to realize it doesn't work the same as melee FD

for the sake of comparison, it's much easier to recover on brawl FD than melee battlefield (which had similar edges/bases) thanks to autosweetspot and the reverse edge grab. anyone complaining about it is just being stupid and stubborn

huenikad

Smash Cadet
Well i'm perfectly happy with Snake getting caught under the lip. Gives us a chance :). I've never played melee FD so i didn't have to adjust.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace

I do that with kirby against powerhouses like snake who can make a puffball into a pancake in seconds. The lip is really aggravating when you are a space animal and you get caught right underneath it.

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
I can see why you'd ask this question. Well there is that lip on the edges right. Well if you're Marth and you use B-up under it you will SD. But you really wouldn't know seeing as that TL barely ever gets stuck under it. But yes for about 75% of the characters FD's lip will gimp you.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Well yeah he could do the C4.
But then again, it really just all depends how damaged he is, and if he can afford it or not.
And tons of other variables.
But all in all, Final D gimps recoveries.
SMASHVILLE!

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
You're missing the point, it's not Snake in particular, it's most characters in general that are virtually screwed when caught under that lip.

Anciant2

Smash Cadet
the stage where you fight tabuu on should be final destination instead of that lip one

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
This lip gimps: Snake, Sonic, DK, Zelda, Fox, Wolf, Falco, Kirby, D3, Marth, Ike, Charizard, Squirtle
And it can be a hassle to: Samus, Olimar, Mario, Luigi, Link, Ivysaur, GaW, Sheik, Bowser, Zamus

And its touch to c4 recover, since you can fall, but theres a chance you wont have time to do it. Or he sticks the c4 to the stage and falls to his death

SinisterHanded

Smash Cadet
i cant possibly begin to tell you how many matches i have lost when snake or falco dont make it over to the ledge.....dang FD. My brother just laughs when snake stays under the stage for 2 seconds until he falls to his doom.

I was just about to make a topic on FD's gayness - it was my fav in Melee but now I hate this stupid gay lip always letting me fall to my doom -.-

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Imo, way too overused. It gets boring, and Marth can get caught under the ledge. ): It's an okay stage if used once in a while, not every single time.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion

Snake can recover that pretty easily if you can pull off some psychomidget-esque c4 recovery (teching off the stage when need be)

edit: sinister, I like your sig, did you make it?

Yoshipatrol

Smash Rookie
I have neveer gotten stuck in there because Metaknight's Shuttle Loop goes through it one way or another

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Eh, this problem died long ago. I've long gotten over this, and even Lylat Cruise. Somehow my hate for Lylat dissolved when I unlocked the "Corneria" music for it, and all of my failed recoveries.

Now Pokemon Stadium 1 . . . there's a bad stage. WTH do some people call that neutral?

-A marth main.

Yoshipatrol

Smash Rookie
I never knew it as a Neutrual Stage at all. The only ones I kno/can remmber right now are Lylat,FD,Battlefield, and Yoshi's island those are the ones I usually play on

Top Bottom