• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Bad The Dojo Was

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The Dojo kind of showed the Sakurai really knows nothing about his game. Take a look at where ZSS and Samus are respectively on the tier lists and just about anyone will tell you that ZSS is better. And yet, Sakurai said this:

Sakurai on the Dojo said:
When you let loose with Zero Suit Samus’s Final Smash, she reequips her Power Suit.

Yes, Zero Suit Samus isn’t the stoutest of fighters, so picking up a Smash Ball is cause for relief.
Kinda shows he really has no idea, and it shows that its stupid he would try to make a character almost intentionally bad. Its not like Zelda and Sheik were both made slightly worse because they could transform. I think it shows a lot about Sakurai and I am afraid for SSB4.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
he doesnt make smash to be competive, he just made it for casuals ;)
This.

No need to say he knows nothing about a game that he had a part in making. Most of what he said did not pertain to competitive Smash. He didn't want it to be what we've made it, it's supposed to be a 4 Player Fighting Party Hybrid thing with Hotheads and stage hazards.

So... yeah. I think Staco ended the thread pretty nicely, there...

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
ok then, how about he makes the next one for casuals and comepetitive gamers. its possible. and make kirby god tier again, lol.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Casual or not:

ZSS > Samus

So the OP is right.
"Casual or not"... So, if we're talking casual, that means we're talking Free for Alls, right? Which means there are no "tiers", so who's to say that in a casual setting in an FFA, ZSS > Samus? It's a Free for All. Anything can happen. :laugh: If you're better with Samus, then, no, this isn't the case... We haven't developed an FFA tier list, so we can't be sure as to who's better than who specifically.

And when we say the OP is right... what? This thread boils down to illinialex telling us to look at the tier list and see that ZSS is higher? Yeah, we can do that. Now what?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what this thread's topic is actually supposed to be... :urg:

EDIT at mah homie over there: Tiers don't affect gameplay... Ness would still do badly against Mr. Game & Watch even if someone hadn't spelled it out in a tier list. Your mindset, your character, and your experiences affect gameplay...

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
TIRES DON EXITS

Why do some people compare tier list with everything.
It's practically the competitive caste system. The key word there being competitive.

But what people need to remember is to not compare competitive Smash with the actual game, as Smash Bros. is actually quite versatile. The commonly dubbed casual side of the game is pretty vast, possibly rivalling the tourney side. People compare characters against one another and immediately think 1v1, a neutral stage and no items, but there was more to it in the developers' minds. What about free-for-alls, the SSE or versatility?

Besides, the Dojo always spoke at face level, not at tourney level. It served as a well-detailed manual-slash-newspaper more than anything else. If it just spoke tourney slang then people would look away from it in ten seconds.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Just about this post. But people tend to make almost everything competive now days, even the first Super Mario Bros people would race and see how fast could you complete the first level, lol.

Casual or not:

ZSS > Samus

So the OP is right.
So how many kills can you get with Zero Suit Samus in item battles? And how many kills can you get with Samus with that same matter? Answer: You will get more kills with Samus and Samus Final Smash is ten times better than Zero Suit Samus. Also, I'll say Zero Suit Samus is sutied for one on one fights and not free for all's or teams, IMO.

ok then, how about he makes the next one for casuals and comepetitive gamers. its possible. and make kirby god tier again, lol.
This game is still comepetitive, just not as people would had thought. Because it's not like items are always on in Brawl match's or anyting, lol. Also I agree, MAKE KIRBY GOD TIER AGAIN!!!

TIRES DON EXITS
LMAO, Sleepy's logic is always the best. ;p

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Tiers are stupid, I can own Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Snake any day with Ganondorf.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Bulky in figure; thickset or corpulent.
ZSS isn't stout. So technically he was right.
Samus is more "stout" the ZSS in multiple definitions of the word. I'm pretty sure ZSS carries crates and barrels slower the Samus. It doesn't exactly mean better, it means like "strong" or "bulky".

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
As much as Sakurai didn't cater to our elitist game-addicted whims, you can't get angry at him for having a daily-updated website for months before the game even comes out. Geesh, give the guy a break.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
as Much As Sakurai Didn't Cater To Our Elitist Game-addicted Whims, You Can't Get Angry At Him For Having A Daily-updated Website For Months Before The Game Even Comes Out. Geesh, Give The Guy A Break.
But He Took Out My Wavedashing Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

...so that's what happens when you use caps lock. I learned something today!

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I loved the Dojo. Sakurai made some epic quotes.......

Did Sakurai devolop/produce SSB64 and SSBM?

BTW does anyone know what happened to the Super Smash Bros. Mojo? I can't go there anymore. T_T

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I loved the Dojo. Sakurai made some epic quotes.......

Did Sakurai devolop/produce SSB64 and SSBM?

BTW does anyone know what happened to the Super Smash Bros. Mojo? I can't go there anymore. T_T
Lol, smash bros dojo.

"Did I just invert the colors on Delfino Plaza? NO SHUT UP!"

good times.

And yes sakurai did make all 3 smash bros games.

fox219

Smash Journeyman
sakurai did a lot of work on the website! we should thank him, not blame him!

D

Deleted member

Ah, japan time, the bad old days...
And the worst present days.

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
You all know that the tone on the Dojo was aimed at a more casual audience, right? Just because someone chooses to adopt a tone for a specific situation does not mean that specific tone is their main tone.

Also, we don't need another Super Tier Bros.

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't that written on the dojo WAY BEFORE Brawl was even being sold in Japan? Who the hell could possible know that ZSS was better than Samus. All the developers knew was kill power and speed.
Samus=stronger
Zamus=faster
And that's exactly what the Dojo said. What combination of speed and power is the best would be discovered later.

paledragon64

Smash Cadet
I think this is more of a problem with the tier lists, IMO...or it's just something Sakurai doesn't care about. I doubt he follows the tier lists as closely as some people on this board do. He made the game the way he wants it, and his opinion on it is his own, and shouldn't be compared to something fan made like the tier lists.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0

Block your enemy’s attack with your shield!

Then just press the attack button to grab your enemy!

Tilt the Control Stick in any direction you like to throw!

Then pursue with combo attacks!
hahaha, combos in Brawl... I don't think that Ike's u-throw leads into a u-smash. And do I need to show this.

Ike is invincible during his Final Smash, so you can’t really meddle with him. But as for the people he’s finishing off...?

Maybe you could add to their woes. Could this be a plan?
Why aren't we all doing this in doubles?!

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
i think he might mean that shes kinda light and not very "tough" as opposed to normal samus, as in she will die easier, but yeah, sakurai no want competitive like everyone says i guess

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
How Bad was the Dojo?

Dojo was great. Dojo was anticipation. Dojo was checked daily. Dojo was corny yet funny. Dojo supplies lol worthy quotes. Dojo was perfection.

Dojo will be missed.

Osi

Smash Ace
I was checking that **** dojo every day till release sadly.... it never had many updates that wow'd me with probably the exception of sonic's update (that was awesome to see confirmed).

Ange

Smash Lord
I never really went to the Dojo cause I didnt wanna get any spoilers. But since everyone talked about "Ohhh ### is in Brawl!" is was kinda impossible to avoid. |:

I personally think Brawl can be competitive, I just guess people havnt accepted the fact that l-canceling, wavedashing and other Melee techiques is gone. u_u Every game can be competitive for ***** sake, give Brawl a chance. Just cause it barely has any combos or anything doesnt mean its just for casuals.
I strangly feel that was little off-topic, but anyway.

The Dojo should probably unhide those "hidden" characters since pretty much everyone know about them already lol.

Top Bottom