• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CY

Smash Ace
allan why does it matter so much if some people want to play melee? it's THEIR opinion on what to play, i don't see why you want to force them to play brawl. if they don't like the game, let them play what they want. just because you think it's dead and boring doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. take counter strike for example, source came out and people still stayed at 1.6 and if i'm not mistaken 1.6 is still played at a competitive level.

btw melee isn't dead. it still has tournaments, some big, some average size. until the melee tournaments just no longer exist, it will be alive and kicking. hell, houston still has their scene going on.

honestly, if you want the community to be tighter, you need to start asking the people what they want, and not what you always want. YOU SELFISH COMMUNIST RIGHT WING NUTJOB AHOLE JERKY JERK JERK-FACE FROM PLANET JERKLAND.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MVC2 still has a large following. Look how god **** old that game is lol.

However, I respect Allan's decision to not hold Melee at his tournaments.

Also who is still in the tournament?

CY

Smash Ace
This is the problem.

These tournaments are organized and made by Allan. If he wants Melee or not, it's up to him.
that's why we should give it up to the core of the smash scene, the actual tournament attendees. allan could pull bigger numbers if he were to include melee. why not just ask the community if they want melee as a side event? because i know many people would love melee at our brawl tournaments. hell, even i would because it would be a refreshing change of pace.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
allan why does it matter so much if some people want to play melee? it's THEIR opinion on what to play, i don't see you want to force them to play brawl. if they don't like the game, let them play what they want. just because you think it's dead and boring doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. take counter strike for example, source came out and people still stayed at 1.6 and if i'm not mistaken 1.6 is still played at a competitive level.

btw melee isn't dead. it still has tournaments, some big, some average size. until the melee tournaments just no longer exist, it will be alive and kicking. hell, houston still has their scene going on.
Im glad you brought up CS cause they are the perfect example. That scene is EXACTLY what will happen to us IF i allow it(but done worry, im amazing, i wont let it happen). We will be playing all 3 games with mediocre numbers all across the board. If you leave no other game on the table but one, you get MORE people to play it than if you were to leave all 3 on the table. Its just better and more organized that way.

Not to mention, what if XYRO/Sethlon/Royr/ect all stayed with melee and didnt go for brawl........our BRILLIANT abilities/minds would not have gone to brawl and made it the way it is here for you guys in Houston. The skill level would be behind in this area(tx) because i wouldnt have supported it. Melee( a game who NATURALLY will lose to brawl) would be more popular.......and for what? We would end up like arizona.....alone and alienate.

If i FORCE all the old melee players to go brawl(which i didnt cause 90% of them wanted to go to brawl) then thier talented minds would go to work on a NEW game and speed its evolution in the texas scene. Melee is pretty much out of new discoveries and its had a good run(7 years). Its time to move over and accept the future. If you cant, theres a melee thread below this one you can go join. I hear they just NOW reached about 20 members....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. oh yea, and about 1/4 of them actually GO to melee events.

If you choose to accept NOTHING i have said so far then accept this. I do what i want. You can either show and join us, or go off some where else and do something else. I dont give a ****. You can call me what you want but i call the shots at my events, so go back to the arm pit of texas(buttmountain) and stfu. Poop face.

Shök

Smash Champion
. I do what i want. You can either show and join us, or go off some where else and do something else. I dont give a ****. You can call me what you want but i call the shots at my events
Hehe, like I said.

Good point, though, Allan.

CY

Smash Ace
see, that's the thing. you think playing melee would split the scene up, but you're the one who is splitting the scene up. why can't melee be held as a side event? like i said, it would bring both communities together, the melee kids could try some brawl, brawl people mess around on melee, etc. this would also bring in a lot more players to enter your tournament, so i don't see what the problem is. ;\

look at it like this. say 20 people show up for melee, there is a good chance they would enter brawl just for the hell of it. but, if there was no melee in the first place, they wouldn't of showed up and thus, less players in your bawl tournaments! just some food for thought.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
What xyro is trying to say is that if he allows melee, hes afraid melee will become alive again and become more popular than brawl here and thus making us different (alienating) from others since the majority of people in the nation play brawl now over melee. he wants us to play brawl.

i dont see the problem though. if you want to play melee, go to the melee events in houston. the scene is still alive. melee isnt dead its just that houston is now brawl dominant.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
<_< someone really sucks at both games apparently ^^
Believe it or not, Brawl helps you get better at spacing, DI, and mindgames in Melee. Because that's all you have in Brawl...so you have to rely on these things.

Too bad some people are too ignorant to try the game without thinking, "LOLOLOLOLOLOL, BRAWL IZ DUMBZ, DUR HUR!"

Xyro77

What xyro is trying to say is that if he allows melee, hes afraid melee will become alive again and become more popular than brawl here and thus making us different (alienating) from others since the majority of people in the nation play brawl now over melee. he wants us to play brawl.

i dont see the problem though. if you want to play melee, go to the melee events in houston. the scene is still alive. melee isnt dead its just that houston is now brawl dominant.
melee will never return. Even if i allow it.

**** man good argument! holy **** it makes so much sense! i mean, i totally understand now. **** the rest of the community, it's all about me, me, and me.
actually, its about ME. not you.

What i decide helps 97% of you people. The other 3% are people who complain/argue just to argue/complain

This is true actually. If I play Melee for a night before a Brawl tourny, I play a lot better at that tourny for some reason.
ummm while that is just plain ********, its proven than if you played competitive melee in the past you will already have an edge in brawl.

PS: RTs message was aimed at syba and i completely agree

Conker315

Smash Lord
Believe it or not, Brawl helps you get better at spacing, DI, and mindgames in Melee. Because that's all you have in Brawl...so you have to rely on these things.

Too bad some people are too ignorant to try the game without thinking, "LOLOLOLOLOLOL, BRAWL IZ DUMBZ, DUR HUR!"
Panda has said it all ;)

Sybawave

Smash Ace
@RT: But that is only because you sucked at melee to begin with so when you went competitive at brawl you finally started getting those. And I did try it there aren't that many people who haven't tried it and bashed it. I sat there for hours trying to like that game...Since melee is mostly about the three things that you pointed out, how come no one in brawl is good at melee?

And AHA Allan agreed lol

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Not to mention, what if XYRO/Sethlon/Royr/ect all stayed with melee and didnt go for brawl........our BRILLIANT abilities/minds would not have gone to brawl and made it the way it is here for you guys in Houston. The skill level would be behind in this area(tx) because i wouldnt have supported it. Melee would be more popular.......and for what? We would end up like arizona.....alone and alienate.
then you said this

melee will never return. Even if i allow it.
you make no sense and have a tendency to change your mind about things.

Xyro77

@RT: But that is only because you sucked at melee to begin with so when you went competitive at brawl you finally started getting those. And I did try it there aren't that many people who haven't tried it and bashed it. I sat there for hours trying to like that game...Since melee is mostly about the three things that you pointed out, how come no one in brawl is good at melee?

And AHA Allan agreed lol
the thing is, RT was pretty decent in melee and hes even better in brawl. You will never accept this and its fine. have fun at you low attendance events that no one cares about/hypes up/ expands/ evolves/ lol whatever, melee is dead.

then you said this

loloooll whatever

good. im glad you see it my way.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Wait so Allan....if Brawl helps Melee skills and Melee skills help Brawl...why would we become medicore players? Shouldn't that make us really good?

Dude, your definition of good and bad sucks a lot lol all he was there for was to make the pot bigger and you know it. How about I come to a Brawlfest with y'all and play one day?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
@ Xyro: Something wrong that playing Melee before a tourny gets me better prepared for the tourny because of the mindset Melee puts me in?

Edit: I was tired and was typing this message in between stocks while fighting Zori on wifi, so it looks like I worded it weird o.O

Xyro77

Wait so Allan....if Brawl helps Melee skills and Melee skills help Brawl...why would we become medicore players? Shouldn't that make us really good?

Dude, your definition of good and bad sucks a lot lol all he was there for was to make the pot bigger and you know it. How about I come to a Brawlfest with y'all and play one day?
all im saying is people who played hardcore melee for a long time tend to be amazing at brawl.

That senario doesnt not have you in it. You have done nothing melee wise. You werent around for it

Sybawave

Smash Ace
And what RT is saying is that people who play brawl should have amplified melee skill. And you said that you agreed with him. So what is the problem? Why are we going to be bad at both games if both games help each other?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

And AHA Allan agreed lol
Lol @ assuming things about my skill level in Melee...though I was terrible, lol. And I did play competitive Melee, but I was never good.

And you can't make the comparison that no one in Brawl is good at Melee, because a majority of Brawl players STARTED on Brawl, not Melee. That's like saying all the good 64 Smash players should have destroyed everyone in Melee...that didn't happen, except for Isai, lol. Or saying that all top Street Fighter 3rd strike players should be good at Street Fighter 2.

Melee's metagame is more advanced and takes much more time than Brawl's. Also, lol @ saying Brawl has a metagame similar to Melee. Melee's metagame had a blend of tech skill, mindgames, and just outright playing your opponent. You could be super aggressive and destroy campy or defensive players. Brawl...there is only mindgames. You are encouraged to run away or camp and get punished for doing the RIGHT thing sometimes. :ohwell:

I'm sure if they had the time and interest, current top Houston Brawl players would do good...and there's still RoyR, Sethlon, etc who can still DESTROY at Melee even though they are probably past their prime. And that's a scary thought...they are still that good after not playing as much.

Also, you would be surprised about how many people know Brawl is dumb. Heck, everyone knows. It's not like we're blind to the ******** stuff in Brawl. But you seem to act like we don't know what we're talking about when...yeah, we kind of do since we were in the Melee scene too. <_<

EDIT: @ above post-Playing Brawl would only SLIGHTLY help you in those areas. You would better understand how to play the game. It won't make you super awesome at the Melee...you still have to practice. Also, if you have a poor understanding of how those things work, Brawl can easily teach you. I always hear people saying "Brawl is like a teaching tool for some basics for Melee"...and yet they won't touch the game. <_<

heytallman

CTALL
Wasn't RT known as "Worst in Houston" in Melee?

That's what Jeremy Feifer and RT told me

edit: RT, when I tech in Brawl, I get punished. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Xyro77

And what RT is saying is that people who play brawl should have amplified melee skill. And you said that you agreed with him. So what is the problem? Why are we going to be bad at both games if both games help each other?
i just quoted something of RTs cause it insulted syba+melee. my mistake.

Hell no. there were several others WAY worse than him. But yea we did call him the worst in houston. it was kinda like the pand ajoke thing.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

edit: RT, when I tech in Brawl, I get punished. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.
*remembers saying you get punished for doing the right thing in Brawl*

*starts doing things the wrong way on purpose*
Hell no. there were several others WAY worse than him. But yea we did call him the worst in houston. it was kinda like the pand ajoke thing.
I did place consistently low in most tournaments except for a small one in which half of major Houston players were missing and I somehow got 5th. I was like, LOLZ. I think I even beat you in a set (you threw a match as Young Link though), and people were like, "ZOMG, this random guy beat TGM." Little did they know that TGM would evolve into...TGL (The Green Lesbian)! I guess you just needed more experience points plus holding a special item.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I wasn't assuming lol That is what I heard when you appeared at the last tournament. I didn't know who you were and I asked about you and that is what I got.

Why would you listen to Jeremy Feifer? If you can't beat him you are the worst Houston player <_< but regardless what he said held pretty true lol there was actually some other guy who had a rep for being incredibly bad though. I can't remember his name.

And when did I ever say that stuff?

Xyro77

the worst player in houston was one of the aladin kids. Cant remember his name. ResumeDposition was bad too.but yea, thats over now, brawl is here.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I was trash at the game, and I know some people hated me in Melee for no apparent reason, so maybe you talked to someone who hated me, I dunno. Brawl's top players are pretty chill for the most part. Melee's...not so much. If you weren't good, they didn't care to acknowledge/hated you sometimes. <_<

Xyro77

Reflex beat lee martins lucario and marth.......he went all pkmn trainer.

HOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lucario is a Steel/Fighting type, so Charizard obviously has an advantage over him, especially when his skill activated and he dealt extra fire damage. Lucario has low Special Defense. Also, Marth is a Bug type, so he was getting squished by the other Pokemon.

Wait wat?

In all seriousness, he probably lacks matchup experience. But no johns, lol.

Xyro77

its gotta be match up exp. Can lucario be CG or released grabed by pkmn t?

Teams
1: Reflex & kismet ($310.00)
2: Magical Unicorns (Cyphus, Lee) ($156.00)
3: Hurricane Katrina (DPhat, KOS-MOS) ($90)
4: Will and George ($32.00)
5: CJ & Fake (CJ?, fakegeorge) ($16)
5: theONEjanitor & moogle ($16)
7: The Rounds (r0ni, Roll)
7: We Call Blue (Sudai, Nick)
9: Electabuzz (8, PK Fire)
9: Team Crossover (Jordan, Caleb)
9: elev8 & Nu
9: Broken Arrow (Esca, Hyro)
13: Bwett & Bear (Bwett, Bear)
13: The Red Army (Curlz, Skylar)
13: Pokemon Master (Bomber, Zigsta)
13: Stunk Wall (Jio, Hawks)
17: Back to Basics (AJ N, Jonathan)
17: Big, Beautiful, Women (Po pimpus, Sars_Pirate)
17: Dinosaur Guns (Katie, Xeedoc)
17: Tensai & NiTEZ
17: Orese & Austin (Orese, Austin)
17: Spike Kings (Byron bks, Ray)
17: The Noob Eaters (Druid, Viral)
17: The G's (Winna0r, Sharkbait)
25: Captain Furry (RJ, Ezzio)
25: Link & Kirok (Link, Kirok)
25: Frisky Moose (Oath, Deezy)
25: Great Destroyers (Jadyne, Xavier)
25: Paw (Cows, Sarah)
25: Teh Noobs (Juiceman, Drnt)
25: Jackson & Kravitz (Tri-Hex, Therrin)

Singles (so far)

5: Biglou (Luigi) ($20)
5: Nikz0r (D3) ($20)
7: Take (Marth)
7: KOSMOS (Peach)
9: Dphat (Marth/ MK)
9: Bear (?)
9: Esca (Pit)
9: Bwett (Yoshi)
13: elev8
13: Sudai
13: Hyro