• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Please don't start with the Metaknight nonsense again............

I thought the community moved on from this......

if Houston is still bent on it, then just continue to enjoy the low tier tournaments.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
But he won't be banned anywhere else, which is the problem.
Get *****...

in other regions

i dont wanna be rude.....but between just you and me.....are you a moron? come on, you can tell me.

every one pick up meta and use him in friendlies. case closed.

honestly,if you are SERIOUS about getting meta practice and truly WANT to travel, you will find every meta main in your area and play them alot. Bannings have no effect on your ability to find metas on your own.

oh and it snot like you would beat metas anyway...hes broken.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yes, but they could still want the tournament experience of MK. I feel that it helps alot more playing them in a tournament, than just friendlies. But I get plenty of MK practice, so I'm just assuming.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
=[ There is only 1 metaknight player where i live. Not the city, the whole region of the RGV. I wish i could travel more but the smash scene down here is dieing so it is getting really hard to get rides to travel. But anyways what im reading im not exactly following 100%, is metaknight goign to be banned at all future hobos?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Playing against random people using Metaknight is not even remotely the same as playing an experienced, tourny winning Metaknight main.

I hate MK with the rest of them (which is why I refuse to touch him and am so bad with him), but if he's not banned universally, he shouldn't be banned in particular locations (hell, he's not even getting banned Texas-wide -_-). Lastly, you'll also be losing OOS visitors this way :\

Dojo

Smash Champion
plz dont waste time on meta. he will be banned in houston very very soon.
You make me cry.

Anyways, I'm thinking about moving to Houston next year to attend UofH. Notice I said thinking. Me and Xyro have a thought of housing together, and splitting payments down the middle. We both agreed, it'd be easier and better to have a 3rd person with us and make payments easier between the 3 of us.

If anybody here in the Houston area is interested at all, let us know. Note that you'll need a car and a job. If anybody has any questions or is interested send me or Allan a PM, so we can get this going. Much better to start sooner than later.

Edit: We should have a true poll on whether people think you should him or not Allan. Last time everyone was kind of just on about Sethlon's choice. There's always a big controversy over it, and it'd be easier to tell what would be best for our community as a state by what we as the community think about it.

Xyro77

trust me. when i ban him forever. i will give PLENTY of warning and tim to prepare. I wont drop it on you guys out of no where.

and jerm.......metaknight is metaknight. at fests or tournies. hes still a problem.

Playing against random people using Metaknight is not even remotely the same as playing an experienced, tourny winning Metaknight main.

I hate MK with the rest of them (which is why I refuse to touch him and am so bad with him), but if he's not banned universally, he shouldn't be banned in particular locations (hell, he's not even getting banned Texas-wide -_-). Lastly, you'll also be losing OOS visitors this way :\
again you dont listen. i shouldnt have brought this up again. you kids aint been ***** enough by him yet to learn.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Yeah your right, in all my tournaments ive ever been to i only have lost 1 set to a meta main so far (dojo at FS4) so one possible explation is that I am just lucky so far.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Xyro just because you get ***** by him doesn't mean the whole state (or whatever) has to suffer....

Even tho i still dont like MK :)

QUIVO

Smash Master
i dont wanna be rude.....but between just you and me.....are you a moron? come on, you can tell me.

every one pick up meta and use him in friendlies. case closed.

honestly,if you are SERIOUS about getting meta practice and truly WANT to travel, you will find every meta main in your area and play them alot. Bannings have no effect on your ability to find metas on your own.

oh and it snot like you would beat metas anyway...hes broken.
I don't want to make a big deal about banning mk, especially since this only a region i vist like two times a year.

I still don't see how he's broken. He's REALLY GOOD and annoying to play against, but not ban worthy imo...

I'm just trying to help your region prosper compared to the others.

Xyro77

Xyro just because you get ***** by him doesn't mean the whole state (or whatever) has to suffer....

Even tho i still dont like MK :)
i would answer to this but your pretty dumb so i dont think it would sink it.

i apologize for bringing up this subject again. obviously you guys cant handle it. if its that big i deal lets go to PMs. plz.

on topic: low tier tournies. fun

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
lol i see you like to call people dumb (even tho u dont know me) and moron and kids instead of answering them. That's really childish

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Ban Meta or not, I really don't care. I will support whatever is chosen.

Dojo might come to Houston? At UH? OHSHI-

I think Flip, Gnes, and Tallman will be excited to hear about this. UH crew battles! :D

Just kidding, UH crew SUCKS. :)

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
Ban MK! I believe that some players only have the potential to win or place high in tournaments simply because they can use MK. Instead of the player taking the character to victory, it's more like the character taking the player to victory. That's stupid.

If the best MKs all had to play different characters and took time to learn them, two things would happen. One, the MK player realizes he isn't actually good, as his skills were directly correlated to MK's power, and he fails. Two, the MK player helps to develop a different character with new playstyles and ideas, which would generate interest in the character, which would generate greater character diversity in the tournament scene.

The downside is that the developing characters wouldn't have practice against MK because MK wouldn't be in the tournies. However, learning the match-up is something that every player needs to do with their respective characters.

I think the pros outweigh the cons, personally.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Isn't that kinda the point of playing a top tier character? To help you do well?

I wasn't very good in melee, but my technical skill with fox alone helped me do well

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Squirtles Jab release is awful. Its a 50% chance to get another grab and a few more pummels which is about 5% and a 50% chance you get punished with a smash attack if squirtle doesnt get the trip. I have stopped use that all together because it caused me to much damage and the risk outweights the reward. Only good grab release PT has is on Ness with Charizard. Squirtle is really the worst pokemon out of the 3 also. Its juts hes my best one.

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that kinda the point of playing a top tier character? To help you do well?

I wasn't very good in melee, but my technical skill with fox alone helped me do well
In Melee, anyone could pick Marth, Fox, Falco, etc. But a bad player using a top tier character still got beat, because he's a bad player. Falco didn't carry PC Chris to victory, it was a combination of the character and the player's skill. Ken played Marth and Fox. KDJ played Fox and Shiek. Obv there wasn't a single character pulling the player along like it is with MK in Brawl, especially not as easily and mindlessly.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
You already have a game where everything is handed to you on a silver platter, and now you guys are so lazy that you've resorted to calling for a character ban?

The very nature of Brawl crushes competitiveness.

Dojo

Smash Champion
In Melee, anyone could pick Marth, Fox, Falco, etc. But a bad player using a top tier character still got beat, because he's a bad player. Falco didn't carry PC Chris to victory, it was a combination of the character and the player's skill. Ken played Marth and Fox. KDJ played Fox and Shiek. Obv there wasn't a single character pulling the player along like it is with MK in Brawl, especially not as easily and mindlessly.
Tell me what scrubby MK's have done good here for the past 2 months. Better yet tell me a tourney you've been to in the past 2 months.

@Tallman I'm going to definitely try.

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
You already have a game where everything is handed to you on a silver platter, and now you guys are so lazy that you've resorted to calling for a character ban?

The very nature of Brawl crushes competitiveness.
it look like i have a new sig. tell the smash scrubs a thing or two doh!!!!

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
Tell me what scrubby MK's have done good here for the past 2 months. Better yet tell me a tourney you've been to in the past 2 months.
I don't mean to pick on Infinity, but I'm just going off of what other people have said. Infinity doesn't really have a strong character besides MK. Now, if he practiced another character and used it in tournament, that'd be awesome and maybe his skill would transfer to another character, showing that he's not dependent on MK. But, for example, he didn't go to the larger, no-MK tournament but went to this smaller, ok-MK tournament...it looks kinda bad in that regard, no?

Remember DMK? Does anyone actually think he's a great player? No, hell no. Yet, with MK, he was able to beat the best in Houston, wtf? That's stupid, imo. He hasn't gone to any tournaments recently because he's traveling I believe, but he did win at least one tournament :(. I remember talking to T-Rex after he beat DMK in the grand finals, and we both noticed that DMK tornado'ed a lot. What happened when T-Rex pulled out a grenade? DMK STILL tornado'ed directly into a grenade, showing how bad he was.

Dojo, you have a good MK, obv. But do you think you could still win a tournament without MK, in a MK-free environment? I know you and Santi practice a lot and both of you are good players, so just imagine if you gave another character the same amount of time and practice you do with MK. I would hope that you'd be able to develop the character and be better than the rest of the players using that character, just like your MK is better than most other MKs, no?

Also, how does the number of tournaments I've been to affect this discussion?

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to pick on Infinity, but I'm just going off of what other people have said. Infinity doesn't really have a strong character besides MK. Now, if he practiced another character and used it in tournament, that'd be awesome and maybe his skill would transfer to another character, showing that he's not dependent on MK. But, for example, he didn't go to the larger, no-MK tournament but went to this smaller, ok-MK tournament...it looks kinda bad in that regard, no?

Remember DMK? Does anyone actually think he's a great player? No, hell no. Yet, with MK, he was able to beat the best in Houston, wtf? That's stupid, imo. He hasn't gone to any tournaments recently because he's traveling I believe, but he did win at least one tournament :(. I remember talking to T-Rex after he beat DMK in the grand finals, and we both noticed that DMK tornado'ed a lot. What happened when T-Rex pulled out a grenade? DMK STILL tornado'ed directly into a grenade, showing how bad he was.

Dojo, you have a good MK, obv. But do you think you could still win a tournament without MK, in a MK-free environment? I know you and Santi practice a lot and both of you are good players, so just imagine if you gave another character the same amount of time and practice you do with MK. I would hope that you'd be able to develop the character and be better than the rest of the players using that character, just like your MK is better than most other MKs, no?

Also, how does the number of tournaments I've been to affect this discussion?
you people are funny. y should someone use or practice another character if they win with the one they play with? i dont care how top tire they are. at the end of the day the only thing that matter is if you win or lose in a tourney.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Infinity plays MK solely and hasn't even practiced another character for tourney wise. Idk if he's MK dependant but why go to a tourney with a character you haven't even played when everybody else still has their respective mains.

DMK was around at the time that everybody was crying that tornado is the most broken move in the game. It's easily gotten around now by most of the cast. I don't recall him beating Roy either. XD

Could I do it right now? Hell no. I've hardly even played Diddy as much as people think. Me and Santi get to play once a week for a couple of hours now due to school and work. I did go in there and get 9th with a character I had put maybe 30 or so hours at the time though. So I'm sure with time I could get to a strong spot again.

There's been a decline in the MK's used in actual tourney used around here in Texas lately, and especially the ones doing good. Infinity isn't a justification for your answer as that is his main. I proved I can still compete at least at a decent level losing only to LeeM and Hyli. DMK is the one exception back when nobody knew how to fight MK in the least. It's hard to see that though when you haven't been in a while.

CY

Smash Ace
actually sand-trap was at the HOBO 12 tournament.

and also, i don't think infinity can play anybody else besides MK. from what i've seen his MK isn't impressive. i like how he didn't even go to HOBO 12 with a pretty big turn-out just because MK was banned. he had over a month to practice and pick-up another character. yet, he goes to this last HOBO with 30 players because MK is there. i will call this now, any tournament without MK infinity won't be there. i'm willing to bet he won't try to pick up another character because he doesn't want to get embarrassed. also, i only have a grudge against infinity because he acts like a stuck-up know it all when regarding smash. sorry, that's just the impression i got from you when we talked a little bit at HOBO 11 and you just n general. ;)

also, infinity is always claiming MK has all these bad match-ups. he said on certain stages, falco can have up to a 60-40% match-up rofl.. **** that you just want to make up some bull**** so you can cover up how broken your main is. don't base a 60/40 match up based on playing sethlon. he is just better than you and can out play you. the falo match-up is evenif it's played without planking. if you decide to plank it goes in your favor (imo).

respect to Dojo though, he actually proved he can use other characters besides MK and place decently.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
ok, so lets wrap up the stupid MK thing.

heres both sides:

side 1: the people who have been beaten for the sheer reason of the other player using MK and refuse to pick him up just to win. They have realized that the only chance they have of winning or even placing high is to pray the meta players fight each other and knock each other out, or they encounter(---see below---)

side 2: the people who haven't encountered MK in his full gayness and therefore can't comprehend why so many people want him banned. Also, people who main meta and win as a result. Kirby fan boys probably fall in here, too. One of the main arguments for this side is that if we stop the gayness, other regions will keep him.

The only counters to a meta player are:

A. pick snake or falco, proceed to camp camp camp camp camp, play really gay gay camp gay camp gay gay. WOW, WHAT A FUN GAME!

B. A player who is light years ahead of them.

Diddy will not be a counter after the meta players figure him out, just like marth.

Ask stiltz what takes the fun out of Brawl. Tarzan, shhhhhh..... you dont even play this game......

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
Infinity plays MK solely and hasn't even practiced another character for tourney wise. Idk if he's MK dependant but why go to a tourney with a character you haven't even played when everybody else still has their respective mains.

DMK was around at the time that everybody was crying that tornado is the most broken move in the game. It's easily gotten around now by most of the cast. I don't recall him beating Roy either. XD

Could I do it right now? Hell no. I've hardly even played Diddy as much as people think. Me and Santi get to play once a week for a couple of hours now due to school and work. I did go in there and get 9th with a character I had put maybe 30 or so hours at the time though. So I'm sure with time I could get to a strong spot again.

There's been a decline in the MK's used in actual tourney used around here in Texas lately, and especially the ones doing good. Infinity isn't a justification for your answer as that is his main. I proved I can still compete at least at a decent level losing only to LeeM and Hyli. DMK is the one exception back when nobody knew how to fight MK in the least. It's hard to see that though when you haven't been in a while.
True, there's no point in going to a tournament without much practice of the character you plan to use in the tournament if you're hoping to place well. And obv, if someone is winning with the character they solely use, then it's not a problem to that person specifically. But it's just silly that a character may be taking the player to victory. Shrug, obv that's just me, apparently.

DMK has beaten Roy before, btw.

A decline in MKs? Van and Light both used MK this weekend, and to my knowledge they've never used MK in tournament before. Melee1, who is known for maining ICs, used MK in tournament, no? DPhat mains Marth, but used MK in tournament at OhSnap and this tournament, as well. So...who exactly used to use MK and is now not using MK (especially the good ones), besides myself mostly? Since you somehow make time to go to a tournament every other weekend, you should be able to list off the names of these players and what character they used in tournament instead of MK. And if Infinity is MK-dependent, then he does prove my point, actually, right alongside DMK.

Esca

Smash Champion
Yeah, to be honest, CY just made babies with that post. I agree totally.

And also, anyone who seriously mains meta-knight is a ***got in my book, and will recieve no respect from anyone. So, even though you win a tourney with meta-knight, you still lose. GF. Except DOJO, who'se actually proven himself to be skilled.

And on second thought, all of you stop being ******'s and just play the game. Case ****ing closed. Or get a life outside of gaming, there's a thought? =O
EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.

EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.EDIT: EFF THIS STUPID SIG RULE.

BEAUMONT FEST DECEMBER 21ST.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Not cool to talk about people like that esca, i know how you feel but the people are still cool. I have not met Dojo yet and he seems cool, he mains MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom