• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yes, because in Melee you could DI her dsmash.

Anyways,it looked like each flame had it's own separate flame hitbox which counts towards damage decay.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
boom so like i said. nothing to worry about.

and tesh, yeah MM died early but im pretty sure the damage ratio was cranked up on some of these vids

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Testing to see if I can post now

Edit: So I guess it's just that this thread was glitched for a while or something, strange. I wasn't able to post last night.

Anyways, there's no telling how good MM will be until the game actually comes out. All the projectile stuff and that damage does seem scary, but we don't know yet if any new mechanics will be implemented into the game, or even what other characters will be like. We've already seen Bowser's changes. Maybe a lot more characters will be buffed to balance it out.

I will say that with Brawl, MK looked broken even from the trailer though. I remember that video that mini flying marth melee video that was posted about him before Brawl even came out.

:059:

Xyro77

Only to the blind did mk seem not super good.

edit: it takes me like 5 tries to post in this thread.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Posting seems broken, probably because increased traffic.

It's possible Mario's dsmash was buffed (very unlikely though).

MM is either lightweight or there was no DI/DI'd with the attack.

As far as gameplay during the trailers, it is obviously set to 2.0. The X shape effect from the two characters sent flying was done on purpose (watch the Brawl trailer and same thing happens).

Xyro77

P4 claims Mario's fireballs are more powerful so it is def possible his dsmash is too. Damage changed from 64 to melee and again melee to brawl.

Xyro77

I just saw that. NO MORE TRIPPING!

Smash 4 just got A LOT faster and a super awesome mind game (dash dancing) has returned.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Because it was hurrr hurrr random is fun!

Probably just commented out the line for future use.

Xyro77

Tripping was added for one reasons.

1. People complained melee became too fast.

Sakurai said this in an article in 07 iirc.

Xyro77

It's pretty much safe to say ICs are back. Sakurai brought them up in an interview just now.

Xyro77

Since smash's new name gives me a very big problem when it comes to naming my new smash tournament series, i need YOUR ideas.

My Melee series was called HOST (Houstons Official Smash Tournament)
My Brawl series was called HOBO (Houstons Official Smash Ordeal/Oganization)

HOWUO will not work. Houstons Official WiiU Ordeal/Organization.

I may go with a word that has nothing to do with HOBO HOMO HOST....ect. I also will not go with a name that represents TVs (apex/zenith) or a series (ascension) that has cause nightmares for many of our most hardened warriors. I want some of your ideas, guys!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Warren Lovely Smis's Awesome Smash Series

WLSASS

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You are such a hater gator.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
When the name gets agreed upon Ill have my graphics team design a logo for it like we did for Hobo and Whobo. I have a name idea: HOSO (Houston Official Smash Organization) and for the majors we can use WHOSO (World Houston Official Smash Organization) so what does everyone think about that name?

Keep in mind the Hobo and Whobo name has been promoted for over 5 years so when a thread goes up people know out the gate who is running it and what it is which means it wont be hard to promote a tournament.

Xyro77

I like the name but i will not be using Samus this time around.

I made the mistake back when brawl came out to try be like my melee low tier hero (sethlon) and attempt to kick ass with low tier. I had no idea that it was impossible to be GOOD (make money/place well/win events) with a low tier other than low tier events. it was a disaster.

So in the new smash i will do 1 of 2 things.
1. Main what i think is top/high tier.
2. Main a 'dream' character like Travis TouchDown or Spiderman or something ive always craved.

Xyro77

De Angelo brought up HOSO (hoe-so) which would be Houstons Official Smash Organization. It def works but it is barely different that HOBO and def not as funny as HOBO.

This time around i will not be doing JUST smash so i kinda wanted a name that doesnt really stick to ONE game (aka smash).

Like how when u think of EVO, it doesnt represent ONE game, Neither does MLG.

Another idea:

HOWL

Houston's Officiall Wiiu Legacy.

That way it covers smash and whatever other WiiU games i choose to add. What do you wimps think?

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
"The series creator described the gameplay direction of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and Super Smash Bros. 3DS as being somewhere between the faster, more competitive style of Melee and the slower, more casual design of Brawl. No doubt that will be good news for those wanting a better compromise."

Hope

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
HOWL is a tight name only problem is that you want to cater to different games such as handhelds for example: Mario Cart 3DS and Smash 3DS so having Wiiu name in it limits it to wii u. I know HOSO only caters to smash but thats the main focus and everything else comes behind smash.

Xyro77

HOWL is a tight name only problem is that you want to cater to different games such as handhelds for example: Mario Cart 3DS and Smash 3DS so having Wiiu name in it limits it to wii u. I know HOSO only caters to smash but thats the main focus and everything else comes behind smash.
Who whoa i wouldn't ever be caught catering to handheld games. The hype factor is not there for them. Think about when we get to GF and 40 people crowded around two 3ds units. No one would be able to see anything. Ill leave 3ds stuff the way its always been aka bring it if u want for streetpasses or casual fights in pokemon or something.

I really want to focus on WiiU.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Hmmm Tesh just told me that there is a device that sakura was using to hook up to the tv and you can use a projector to project grand finals if 3DS was to be catered to. I have another name but ill wait till more people post more ideas. I do understand the focus for WiiU but liked we talked about you want to start running nintendo game tournaments so might as well cater to the biggest games such as smash and mario kart on all the versions or another idea i had is have a space reserved for 3DS players. That could work as well!

Xyro77

Im not doing handhelds.

And yea there is a device you can use to transfer 3ds to big screen. Its at 0:25-0:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&feature=youtu.be i am like 99.99% sure the average consumer cannot get something like that. Im pretty sure its specifically made for developers.

At e3 though, sakurai was using the WiiU Pro controller vs that guy playing mario. A wireless controller working at e3 where billions of wireless devices were around is GOOD NEWS.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I like HOWL.

Also, it doesn't really limit it to just Wii U. People showed up to a HOBO before for Pokemon. I forgot which HOBO it was, I just remember it's the one where MikeHAZE screamed into Hylian's ear.

Edit: Site's lagging and it didn't show the previous 3 posts before I posted this.

:059:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Well since you wont do tournaments for the handheld versions the best thing is to reserve a section for players that want to play the handheld versions of monster hunter, smash, mario cart, etc. When i go venue hunting ill make sure and get a nice size venue similar to funplex. The reason why im saying cater to handhelds is because you have players like player 4, rt, the girl that came with you to hobo 40 and others all playing 3ds so if you reserve a section for them they can come and chill instead of being in the same area were the tournaments are being held. Also when I got the sponsorship from devry they liked the whole setup and variety of games which means if I start looking for sponsors when the new smash comes out and they see a handheld section this will add to the resume of whats already going on. The handheld section idea is good especially since smash and mario kart are huge games that have huge scenes!

Xyro77

People can bring 3ds/3ds games at any time. They could have done that since march (me and rt have since march of 2011). and when there is down time or people who do not play in tournaments people do 3ds casuals fo fun, im totally cool with that. That thing isnt going away. the only thing really changing is im doing all wiiu stuff now, no more wii after whobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom