• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Your right. It happens to everyone. I just said that out of frustration, sorry. But if people were really gonna make a big deal of how Xyro brought me and houston stil didn't do well then I feel I need to bring that point up.

You guys dont ruin the scene, but its just not what its used to be and you guys really need to learn how to accept critisicm and not take everything as a personal attack and actually understand what my advice was
My drive isn't as good as it used to, but I am so much better than I was when I first joined. I already get enough 'you ruin the scene Smoom ' from Allan cause he says my drive isnt good enough. If you minus me, the scene is way good. If you say Illmatic or sync doesn't have the drive to get better, I don't know what you're on.

I don't go to fests as much, but I am getting better at self-critiquing myself when I play with Illmatic (which is pretty often). Im TRYING to get myself out of my 'playing for fun' mode to 'learn to play' mode.

I'm probably getting too specific with me. Sorry.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
WHOBO might be my last tourny cause I joined an online band, and that + college is going to eat up almost all of my time (It's already been almost a month since I've played a videogame, and that's even before joining the band).

:059:

Player-4

See you in 25 years
It's called SYNCs fest cause SYNC made the CHOICE to hold one.

Case closed.

Deal with it.
Don't play dumb, you told everyone to go to Sync's so you could make sure everyone was busy. Plus there's plenty of posts saying "hold a fest this weekend, no drugs plz" making it sound like you had interest in going to a fest with all of us. So seriously, man up and quit acting like it's always someone's else's doing.You and I and everyone else know that you told people to go to Sync's so you could sneak off to Austin and have your secret tourney free of the people you don't want to see at the tourney. Don't try to bull**** us.

Suspect

Smash Hero
@Ozz- some people just cant take this game to seriously cause it gets annoying and aggravating at times, so they like to play occasionally (like me) I know damn well if I had a wii and played brawl as much as I play marvel or put hours into it like I do RPGs espy/prime wouldn't win here all the time.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Don't play dumb, you told everyone to go to Sync's so you could make sure everyone was busy. Plus there's plenty of posts saying "hold a fest this weekend, no drugs plz" making it sound like you had interest in going to a fest with all of us. So seriously, man up and quit acting like it's always someone's else's doing.You and I and everyone else know that you told people to go to Sync's so you could sneak off to Austin and have your secret tourney free of the people you don't want to see at the tourney. Don't try to bull**** us.
Pj request the fest.

Did I make a fest happen? No. Sync did.

Case closed.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Let's all have the drive to be the best of our character!

Regardless of who currently holds the title!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm not going to lie...unless you have a really difficult major or intend to take like 18 semester hours, you're going to have A LOT of free time in college, assuming you're smart enough to group classes into as few days as possible. ;)

Anywho, vids should be going up starting today. Lots of intense or hilarious matches.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Allan you choose to be low tier so deal with up tilt and shuttle loop and Falco and Diddy's brokenness and quit complaining about it. It was YOUR choice. So if we can't complain about the decisions we made then you can't complain about the decision you made.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I see Sync is goin in yet again.

BioDG

Smash Ace
No drive? Maybe it's just that people don't have the means to improve at the same time as other people, people don't start at the same time, people are unable to free up their time as much as they need to yet, etc. And it can happen for reasons beyond their control. I think the situation varies with many people for why they aren't at competitive top player status at the moment, rather than it being because of mere "drive".

Haha, I'm sooo late.

Anyways, aside from how the fest was started, I hope it was fun and such. :]

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
As far as all of you *****ing about your "drive" to play, at least you get driven to play. I'm sitting here, with Wi-Fi as my only resource outside of the monthly HOBOs and the VERY RARE smashfest that I can attend. You literally can't train for offline on Wi-Fi, the metagame is different, the mindgames are different, and we all know what that **** does to our reaction time. I don't have the means of transportation, nor live in Sugar Land, so consider yourselves lucky for either playing MK -- and consider yourself lucky for being able to get your practice in because ever since I moved here all I've wanted to do is prove myself and to improve and to just have fun. However it becomes a large issue with everyone putting each other down for "ruining" the scene.

Show some maturity, calm the **** down, and accept it. **** ain't gonna go the way you want because it sure hasn't for me.

Tesh

Smash Hero
No drive? Maybe it's just that people don't have the means to improve at the same time as other people, people don't start at the same time, people are unable to free up their time as much as they need to yet, etc. And it can happen for reasons beyond their control. I think the situation varies with many people for why they aren't at competitive top player status at the moment, rather than it being because of mere "drive".

Haha, I'm sooo late.

Anyways, aside from how the fest was started, I hope it was fun and such. :]
Everyone should just pick up Metaknight.

I thought the whole purpose of side events was to give other people a chance to shine. Also if you remove all of Houston's best players I'd say 5th through last place are pretty exciting and never the same. If anyone is to blame for some of the best players in the country being here, I would fault the people who practice with them.

To be serious though, I don't think there is a single place with top level players AND inconsistent results. The reason people had that in 08 was because the game was new and it wasn't hard to get caught by surprise.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
As far as the results being the same over and over...you really can't complain about that. It's the same in ANY fighting game community or any competitive game in general. Street Fighter, Tekken, MvC, whatever...it's the same people that win over and over. Yeah, a newcomer might come around once a while and cause upsets, but for the most parts, results are always consistent.

You want new results? Turn items on or include more luck based stages. I guarantee the results will vary drastically.

What's the point in someone spouting "DEAL WITH IT!!!11!!!" if the person can't follow their own advice?

Tree, you're also right...many people have circumstances that prevent them from being good. And then there's always natural talent. The only difference is how much dedication they have and how much they are willing to sacrifice in order to be good.

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
Tree, you're also right...many people have circumstances that prevent them from being good. And then there's always natural talent. The only difference is how much dedication they have and how much they are willing to sacrifice in order to be good.
I totally understand that. Which is why I'm stuck between a rock and hard place with Smash.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
As far as the results being the same over and over...you really can't complain about that. It's the same in ANY fighting game community or any competitive game in general. Street Fighter, Tekken, MvC, whatever...it's the same people that win over and over. Yeah, a newcomer might come around once a while and cause upsets, but for the most parts, results are always consistent.

You want new results? Turn items on or include more luck based stages. I guarantee the results will vary drastically.
Um lol no. When the same two people are constantly dominating results for 2 YEARS, it's not normal. Your from melee so surely you were around when results were changing a lot, because Allan who has been around for almost 10 years in smash has told me this. RT you may be referring to the dominating winners on a NATIONAL level, i'm just talking about local/state. Yes I know, Justin Wong/Daigo dominated SF/Marvel and Ken dominated melee and M2K dominates brawl and that probably won't really change. Actually, m2ks dominance in brawl is pretty unlike melee or sf or marvel but that's a different topic.

Yeah, a newcomer might come around once a while and cause upsets
This RARELY happens with houston smash. The last time was Samboner? and remember how hype that was?

I don't really care though I'm quitting after WHOBO, just giving some criticism and obviously people are taking it the wrong way or can't accept it. That's fine if you have some real life excuses to why you can't be improving, and I'm not talking about ALL of you, I know people like Illmatic/Sync are very dedicated to improving and I appreciate that. If anything, I am just trying to motivate you guys and not bashing you for ruining the scene or whatever, the scene is simply not as good as it was in early Brawl and that is not really anyones fault and sort of a natural thing that happens especially with a game like this. But you guys DO have the capability to make it (the scene) better.
I just think that it's time for that gap after Gnes and Razer in Houston to be closed.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Um lol no. When the same two people are constantly dominating results for 2 YEARS, it's not normal. Your from melee so surely you were around when results were changing a lot, because Allan who has been around for almost 10 years in smash has told me this. RT you may be referring to the dominating winners on a NATIONAL level, i'm just talking about local/state. Yes I know, Justin Wong/Daigo dominated SF/Marvel and Ken dominated melee and M2K dominates brawl and that probably won't really change.
Let me see if I can remember since I showed up around late 2005/early 2006...a Fox player named Sideeffect was ALWAYS winning the Houston tournaments. Yeah, he might have lost occasionally, but it was almost always him winning. Then Roy showed up...then those two started winning and going back and forth? OH MY GOD, what is this, the same people winning over and over or DOMINATING? MADNESS! It's not possible! But I'm not from the Melee days, so I wouldn't underst-...oh wait.

As far as Texas as a whole I will admit I don't know much about because I never paid attention, so maybe Allan knows more in this area since he's been there since the beginning. Texas was infamous for not being as organized as other regions. But you really think the same names weren't showing up and over and over? We had ROB$, Caveman, Lep, Fastliketree...you're telling me they didn't win over and over? COME ON. They might have shuffled around, but the results were pretty consistent.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
RT hit the nail on the head. All about the dedication and sacrifice you put into it. I remember when I started out at 17th place then gradually moved up the placings and defeated the TX top players. I wanted to be the best and look where it got me. I still put in that same dedication today too.

Gea

Smash Master
Before that it was Crystal City and FLT. Melee had a more dynamic scene though. We were learning the game and A LOT changed in it's lifespan. Many more people came and went; techskill went from being nonexistent to a requirement in a longer span than you might think. Brawl is as static of a game as it gets. Plus what new players (that are good and play top tier) have come around?

If you want to catch up to Gnes and Razer, drop all of your ****ty characters and play top tier. That means going back to Falco and really focusing on camping and playing to win. Even then he has time on you, so expect a slow rate of catching up. Good players will consistently dominate no matter the game, and if you want to challenge them you have to work harder than them to improve faster. It doesn't matter how dedicated Illmatic is when he plays Peach. She doesn't have what it takes to win, and even if she does, expect having to play flat out better than the other person in every way to win. It's just not feasible.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Guys, keep Esca in your prayers. Apparently he was stabbed in the chest recently and has a collapsed lung. I don't know much about it, but that's what I heard from Illmatic. I looked at his FB and from his friend's comments and status' it all appears to conclude to him being seriously injured.

Anyways, I wanna go visit him in the hospital (once I find out where he's staying) sometime soon, if anyone wants to go with me just let me know and we can figure out a good time to go visit him.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dude, WTF?!

This is horrible...when you go visit Esca, let me know.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yeah Illmatic just told me too. We should really go visit him. I know (atleast for me), I really liked when people visited me while I was in the hospital so I think he would too.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If we could organize a date so that we could go all the same time, it would be good. He needs all the support he can get right now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom