• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
UTD/Razer in VC8 doubles GFs right now. **** good set so far.

Update: Zac is too good.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Razer just was 2-0'd by Nairo in Winners.

Alot of gay ****.

Zac lost to NAKAT and Peewee?

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
So, for those Houston people attending MLG Dallas, how are you all being housed? Everyone sharing hotel rooms? If so, does anyone have room for one more in their hotel room and if so, how much would I have to pay for it? I have a friend who lives in Arlington, and was hoping I could stay with him for the weekend like I did for QuakeCon, but turns out he'll be back home in Houston that weekend. -_-

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Ok, ok, I was holding this till Sunday but I’ma type it out anyway. Ok whatever, I seriously think we need get better as a whole state at smash, I mean we have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many bad players; like 10 good ones and 3 amazing ones. Look at our f tier, its kind of embarrassing lol, (no talking trash to our f tier players btw, when you constantly have to play someone like gnes first round, it’s kind of hard to place high, right)? (I feel for our f tiers k?) Back to my point, MLG Dallas is in 2/3 weeks? What’s going to happen? Texas might win, we might lose, but I would love to see like all of the top 32 taken up by Texas players. (Ahh this is so jumbled) What I’m trying to say is OUR state needs to improve, our f tier should be a tier filled with people who don’t even play anymore lol. Every single one of us needs to step it up for MLG, and show people that Texas is a hard *** state to compete in, and to fight against sync. I want to see you rapin players like san, I want to see people say yea esams really good but that pika main leaf? he will annihilate you(not saying you’re bad, just using you as an example. you take matches from me right? and I’m c tier except for when I got put into e tier because of a DQ I was hungry ALLAN!) Our B,A,S tiers, if someone asks you to friendly, that means they want to fight your main not get ***** by your 2 minute old [insert char], beat them and give them tips to help them improve. We want to leave pro players in our places when we quit. (that’s just something that was on my mind, make fun of my punctuation stuff if you want to idc, just felt this matter needed to be addressed).

A few things
1. If a match is saved on your Wii, take the time to read the bracket and see if it’s a tourney match. Our people want see their replays, don’t deprive them of the chance to fix their mistake ya hurd? (Allan your a good example of this, you deleted me vs. razer off your Wii from hobo 25 saying you thought both matches were friendlies even though you were the one who called us to play our matches, had you uploaded it, maybe I would have fixed all my mistakes and not get ***** like I did at hobo 28 lol) you’re a boss *** TO, and you brought me to my first hobo where I got dead last cause I have the worst handwriting and dugfinn couldn't read my name right lol. Love you xyro =]

2. Guys who don’t think you’re good, SEEK OUT PLAYERS LIKE JERM ,HYRO, AND LEE! THEY WILL PLAY YOU! ASK THEM TO PLAY AND HELP YOU GET BETTER! SAME GOES TO YOU DOJO AND RAZER! gnes get to helpin please plz plz plz lol.

3. MLG DALLAS IS COMING UP, WE NEED TO HOLD FEST MONDAY, TUES, FRIDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY, FRIDAY, SUNDAY, to prepare. Same to you Dallas San Antonio etc. get your ***** in gear, shape up, it’s training time, LETS GO KICK SOME OOS ***!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. NO MORE SALT THROW AT TOURNEYS it was pretty funny the first time but now its getting scary, if you lose don’t be mad be happy why? Because it means you need improvement and improving = getting better. And that’s always A GOOD THING SAY IT AINT I DARE YOU MOTHER*******

heytallman

CTALL
Ok, ok, I was holding this till Sunday but I’ma type it out anyway. Ok whatever, I seriously think we need get better as a whole state at smash, I mean we have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many bad players; like 10 good ones and 3 amazing ones. Look at our f tier, its kind of embarrassing lol, (no talking trash to our f tier players btw, when you constantly have to play someone like gnes first round, it’s kind of hard to place high, right)? (I feel for our f tiers k?) Back to my point, MLG Dallas is in 2/3 weeks? What’s going to happen? Texas might win, we might lose, but I would love to see like all of the top 32 taken up by Texas players. (Ahh this is so jumbled) What I’m trying to say is OUR state needs to improve, our f tier should be a tier filled with people who don’t even play anymore lol. Every single one of us needs to step it up for MLG, and show people that Texas is a hard *** state to compete in, and to fight against sync. I want to see you rapin players like san, I want to see people say yea esams really good but that pika main leaf? he will annihilate you(not saying you’re bad, just using you as an example. you take matches from me right? and I’m c tier except for when I got put into e tier because of a DQ I was hungry ALLAN!) Our B,A,S tiers, if someone asks you to friendly, that means they want to fight your main not get ***** by your 2 minute old [insert char], beat them and give them tips to help them improve. We want to leave pro players in our places when we quit. (that’s just something that was on my mind, make fun of my punctuation stuff if you want to idc, just felt this matter needed to be addressed).

A few things
1. If a match is saved on your Wii, take the time to read the bracket and see if it’s a tourney match. Our people want see their replays, don’t deprive them of the chance to fix their mistake ya hurd? (Allan your a good example of this, you deleted me vs. razer off your Wii from hobo 25 saying you thought both matches were friendlies even though you were the one who called us to play our matches, had you uploaded it, maybe I would have fixed all my mistakes and not get ***** like I did at hobo 28 lol) you’re a boss *** TO, and you brought me to my first hobo where I got dead last cause I have the worst handwriting and dugfinn couldn't read my name right lol. Love you xyro =]

2. Guys who don’t think you’re good, SEEK OUT PLAYERS LIKE JERM ,HYRO, AND LEE! THEY WILL PLAY YOU! ASK THEM TO PLAY AND HELP YOU GET BETTER! SAME GOES TO YOU DOJO AND RAZER! gnes get to helpin please plz plz plz lol.

3. MLG DALLAS IS COMING UP, WE NEED TO HOLD FEST MONDAY, TUES, FRIDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY, FRIDAY, SUNDAY, to prepare. Same to you Dallas San Antonio etc. get your ***** in gear, shape up, it’s training time, LETS GO KICK SOME OOS ***!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. NO MORE SALT THROW AT TOURNEYS it was pretty funny the first time but now its getting scary, if you lose don’t be mad be happy why? Because it means you need improvement and improving = getting better. And that’s always A GOOD THING SAY IT AINT I DARE YOU MOTHER*******
lol like I give a **** about this game.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I completely agree with everything you said.

Especially the part about when people ask to do friendlies, USE YOUR MAIN. I know I'm at fault at this too.

heytallman

CTALL
I don't care where I am on the tier list. I'm gonna go to tournaments to have myself a time and see people I like. If I win, that's just a bonus.

I put 0 effort into this game, I don't care what output I get.

edit: Though I have been paying a bit more attention to it for MLG, I'll admit.

Thebest1pj

I don't care where I am on the tier list. I'm gonna go to tournaments to have myself a time and see people I like. If I win, that's just a bonus.

alright i feel you you do it for fun.

that post i made pertains to the people who do care ya hurd?

Thebest1pj

A few things

for those who might not see it

sorry for the double post

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
It's hard to be motivated to get better at a game where one single character dominates the metagame (Meta Knight? Metagame? lulz).

With that said, I have been playing Brawl competitively in the Houston scene since the game was released and have tried to improve, but with no luck. I have asked better players to "train me" but none seem willing. Plus now I moved back to Austin, where everyone plays lower-tier characters and so I would not get any match-up experience against the more frequently played characters.

To add to that, my opinion is that you have to be naturally gifted at the game to be a "great" at Brawl, at least for the most part. RT has been around forever, and plays high-tier characters, and has never placed very high, and yet someone like Illmatic, with only Wifi experience and playing Peach, comes along and starts placing extremely well right away? No offense meant to either of you.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
lol like I give a **** about this game.

Tallmanisthetruth.

z00ted

A few things

Pj posting some real **** right here.

I agree, our state has been slacking lately, we need to step it up for MLG.

I can't say I haven't been helping people out with tips or doing friendlies but I can say that I haven't been doing it to the best of my ability.

I think the top players just need to stop **** licking each other and help out the lower players. That and we need to just play more as a community and learn each other's matchups.

I was practicing with Smoom earlier today, but I've been ****ing playing computers tonight -I just learned the u-air string and can pull it off by clawing almost on demand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF-pxIUO3gE

I'm so hyped for MLG Dallas, fest on Saturday anyone?

We need to practice with our MAINS instead of secondaries or whatever, top level players that can play multiple characters should help us with matchups we have difficulty with though.

It's hard to be motivated to get better at a game where one single character dominates the metagame (Meta Knight? Metagame? lulz).

With that said, I have been playing Brawl competitively in the Houston scene since the game was released and have tried to improve, but with no luck. I have asked better players to "train me" but none seem willing. Plus now I moved back to Austin, where everyone plays lower-tier characters and so I would not get any match-up experience against the more frequently played characters.

To add to that, my opinion is that you have to be naturally gifted at the game to be a "great" at Brawl, at least for the most part. RT has been around forever, and plays high-tier characters, and has never placed very high, and yet someone like Illmatic, with only Wifi experience and playing Peach, comes along and starts placing extremely well right away? No offense meant to either of you.
First of all, no johns. Metaknight isn't banned yet and it IS hard to be motivated in a game where a single character dominates it, but it's not impossible.

Skillwise, in my opinion it's really all in your head and the motivation you have for the game.
I'm not trying to start anything but when I see people like Rockettrainer not place well I just think it's his attitude towards the game. Everytime I see him show up at a fest he acts like he doesn't want to be there at all, I've even asked him whats wrong a few times. He plays bad at first but then when he starts lightening up and talking with all of us he plays REALLY well. If you think you are good in Brawl it will increase your skill level significantly in the game. I've seen this countless amounts of times. I've told Leaf that he's really improving, then I see him two stock my Wario immediately afterwards. Another example would be my set against Rockettrainer at HOBO 27, I won first match and the second match he did really well. He was thinking he was doing well so he continued to do so and beat me on my counterpick also.

When I started up in July, at first I was determined to be the best Peach in Texas.
I placed 7th at my first tournament, then I was motivated to keep on playing good players.

Jerm used to CONSTANTLY Jv two stock me, but I didn't back down because I had the motivation and the strive to be the best Peach in the nation. I practiced with him countless number of times, and now I can hold my own against him pretty well.

I honestly don't think I would be in the position I am now if I came into the community thinking I was bad or whatever even if I still placed terribly. Just set a goal and keep on trying to reach it.

Take a look at Kool-aid (the Pit main) he used to be like on THE worst players in his community, but he had a goal to be the best Pit, and after ALOT of practice he's ranked #1 in his region.

Like I said, we all just need to practice with higher level players and get our mindset straight.

Thebest1pj

nvm illmatic said what i posted before me lol thinking alike

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
@shadow The lag on wifi is unbearable for me. I'm used to playing games on XBL.

@illmatic I moved to Austin for school. My supply of good players who play high-tier characters is now 0. Plus, before you and P4 came along, all smashfests were an hour+ away from me.

Thinking about it now, I think part of the reason I get so angry at this game is just what Allan has said before, we're trying to make a game competitive that was in no way meant to be competitive. Nintendo is all about party games. I'm not sure there will ever be a Smash Bros. game made for competitive players. That's just not their demographic.

z00ted

Wifi is really bad for practice, but good for matchup experience.
The frame rate is terrible and ****s up the flow of your character and the react-punish or whatever.

I don't understand why people play this game - yet don't care about it.

Hell even VERMANUBIS (Ganondorf) tries to win stuff.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
There are ways around it(sorta). Your best chances of doing well in this game is MAINING and 2NDING the following characters:

S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers

Any one other than that you are forced to use your "natural" skill and intelligence to overcome the huge disadvantages your character will face.

"exceptions to the rule" obviously do not fall under these rules.

Though you are surrounded by low tier players (ike/yoshi/bowser) you CAN get better. You can improve on things that will make you better vs higher tier character.

1. Spacing. If you dont hit with the tip 80%% of the time, you have things to work on.

2. Stages. Play on every stage that can possibly be legal. LEARN how the stage works with and against your character and WHY. See if u can pick up some new CP stages.

3. PowerShielding. If you cant power shield 80% of the time, you have things to work on.

Those 3 things will INSTANTLY make you better vs the WHOLE cast and u can learn that stuff just from playing low tiers.

That is incorrect.

1. Illmatic is NOT as good as u think. Hes gifted(no doubt in my mind) but he still gets beat by people like me(who dont place high) and loses to people like dphat/jnig and others who are better than him(which is expected). Lots of times his bracket is rather easy. Hes a normal GOOD player.

2. TBH, Rocket Trainer and several other players dont WANT to get good. They play because that is where their friends are. They play because its FUN. They play cause they have nothing better to do. P4 could be used as an example but even with him i have seen improvment. Ever played his pit/zs/gw/lucario a year ago? GARBAGE(no joke)! Played his mk(instantly he got better but it still was trash). Now that hes been with mk for a while, look at him.........GOT ALOT BETTER(disciple+p4 vs trela+xyro made me realize it). Some people are slower than others.

3. Yes there is natural skill that you are born with. Razer/royr for instance. Then there are others who must EARN it by working their *** off(ozz/me). Its not gonna happen instantly and its not gonna be easy(especially if u main **** chars) but it WILL happen. it takes time.

A few things

You want the fastest way to get better over all? What i am about to say is 100% fact with no jokes.

1. MAIN and 2nd two of these chars(any combo): Meta Knight, Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers or Lucario. The rest have next to no gimmicks, require mass amounts of skill/intelligence and have obscene disadvantages. Completely forget abut low tier, there is no hope unless you are the "exception to the rule"=espy/san/boss

2. Learn to space your attacks on command.

3. Learn to power shield and counter attack correctly.

4. Learn to play/abuse every stage in the game(that could possibly be legal).

No joke, if you focus on these things right there, you WILL instantly be 10x better than you were AND you will start winning money/placing high. These are all facts.

z00ted

1. Illmatic is NOT as good as u think. Hes gifted(no doubt in my mind) but he still gets beat by people like me(who dont place high) and loses to people like dphat/jnig and others who are better than him(which is expected). Lots of times his bracket is rather easy. Hes a normal GOOD player.
***, when have I lost to you recently?

***... all I've lost to (besides RT) at a HOBO is Razer, Dphat, and Gnes.

I'm not saying I'm ASDLJAKSDLKASJDLKASJD but I think I can pose as a threat to high level players in our state now, because I feel as though I'm improving and you can see it in my matches.

I've only been playing for 4 months lol.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
I've only played A-tier since Brawl came out. Marth and Falco. Well except for that one Smashfest where I played Peach.

I will stop arguing though. I just have neither the natural skill nor the mindset to be good at the game.

z00ted

dont turn this into an argument stick to together.....
I'm not arguing, just stating facts.

I recently took Dphat to last high last stock, and almost beat Gnes' Metaknight in a set, but SD'd at 0% first stock - brought it ALL the way back and took us both to last hit.

Xyro hates me.

I will stop arguing though. I just have neither the natural skill nor the mindset to be good at the game.
Both are which things you can change.

Xyro77

***, when have I lost to you recently?

***... all I've lost to (besides RT) at a HOBO is Razer, Dphat, and Gnes.

I'm not saying I'm ASDLJAKSDLKASJDLKASJD but I think I can pose as a threat to high level players in our state now, because I feel as though I'm improving and you can see it in my matches.

I've only been playing for 4 months lol.
The last time we did samus vs peach it was at smooms on SV where i did either a 3 stock or a solid 2 stock. Then you have 3 stock stadium where marth won and i dont even use marth( i gave up on him since syncs sex saloon, hes not fun). Im not not saying you suck(no joke). I KNOW you are good(gifted, even) but its not like you are "OMGz im top 10z in texas *****ez". Pretty sure(in tourney) flip/me/trela/jerm have beat you as well. So like i said, you are good but not OMG good.

I DO NOT HATE YOU.

z00ted

The last time we did samus vs peach it was at smooms on SV where i did either a 3 stock or a solid 2 stock. Then you have 3 stock stadium where marth won and i dont even use marth( i gave up on him since syncs sex saloon, hes not fun). Im not not saying you suck(no joke). I KNOW you are good(gifted, even) but its not like you are "OMGz im top 10z in texas *****ez". Pretty sure(in tourney) flip/me/trela/jerm have beat you as well. So like i said, you are good but not OMG good.

I DO NOT HATE YOU.
I know I pull this all the time but it's friendlies, and I was playing terribly that day.

Flip has never beaten me in tournament. (I've beaten him every time I've played him)

Trela has beaten me once, I've beaten him once.

You kept on playing me in tournament when I first started (not HOBOs) and continued to beat me until I 3-1'd you, and now we have never met in bracket again.

THE CALLOUT

z00ted

this game is dumb, and I hate hearing about people giving up on it.

wtf ten people viewing this dookie?

Xyro77

I know I pull this all the time but it's friendlies, and I was playing terribly that day.

Flip has never beaten me in tournament. (I've beaten him every time I've played him)

Trela has beaten me once, I've beaten him once.

You kept on playing me in tournament (not HOBO) and continued to beat me until I 3-1'd you, and now we have never met in bracket again.

THE CALLOUT

HOBO 26
http://allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=8779

Illmatic's performance

Winners' bracket
Bye
Defeated Omega2
Defeated Denti
Lost to Razer

Losers' bracket
Defeated Gunman
Lost to Fliphop

Overall placing: 7/43

Ok since you were playing terrible at smooms, so was i(i had swine flu, aids, sars, herpes, typhoid, cerebral palsy). I still beat you with samus. Dont john because u got ****ed up(accept it, u lost). You are turning into jerm and p4. Its embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom