• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Wanna crew battle?
Sure, you gonna be there?
Btw, smashers complain too much, all this ban Diddy crap again. Even if he's more broken than mk, use it as a challenge and better yourself. Nothing in the tournament rule set of smash brothers is unbeatable. Top tiers just make it easier to do well than it is for lower tiers. Pretty simple competitive logic

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I wish the same could have been said about SFIIT Akuma. It's a challenge guys. ;)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah but the game starts getting stale after awhile when diddy is winning all the regionals or placing top 5 by 3 or 4 different people in nationals or internationals.
I don't feel like giving my money for free to diddy/pocket diddy players, already did that for 6 years (before joining smashboards over random wifi forums) towards MK.

Even melee gods are converting themselves slowly to fox, The last remaining non fox god is basically hungrybox and outside of paragon where only M2k was at while the 4 wasn't, he is not gonna be tasting the sweet 1st place ever again unless he converts too.

Last edited:

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
I"m trying to get weeklies going for Fort Worth smash players because it's hard for me to commute to another city just for smash 4.

I guess the biggest issue for DFW is the distance between players.
Eventually when I get my stuff together, I can start carpooling my own nearby players to Dallas to help with weeklies.
I wish I could f-in teleport to Houston to participate in Sync's weeklies.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Pretty much what I've been saying since this whole Diddy issue came to be. Diddy is annoying as heck and very easy to pick up, but the other good characters can do fine against him in practice.

The problem is just that people aren't realizing which characters are bad until they fight Diddy. Then they get upset when its not a good time.

If this situation makes you want to quit, so be it. But don't be salty when someone bad picks a much better starting point and gives you an uphill battle.

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
Btw, smashers complain too much, all this ban Diddy crap again. Even if he's more broken than mk, use it as a challenge and better yourself. Nothing in the tournament rule set of smash brothers is unbeatable. Top tiers just make it easier to do well than it is for lower tiers. Pretty simple competitive logic
This has been my logic for a long time. if players feel diddy kong is what will make them win, so be it.

on another note,what happened to good old adaptation? it seems people don't wanna take the time to learn this MU and thus, wanna ban it. well what happens when X character becomes the new top tier? ban him/her too? unless diddy's matchups are completely 100-0 across the board, an early ban seems kinda crazy..

Last edited:

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
As in TGC? Yeah me and
my crew will be there

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I can't believe what I'm reading. You guys are all insane. :applejack:
All I'm saying is all the complainers aren't going to suddenly have a blast fighting Denti/Aerolink when they pick up Sonic or Ness or whatever the next best thing is.

They will flock to the best character and the most optimized strategy and you will all still be stuck with characters that struggle to punish a roll away.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The discussion has NEVER been about "diddy is OP" or "brawl MK is op" or "these characters are unbeatable."

It's about domination of a character /stagnation of growth due to that character/centralization of the game around that character. The same **** we dealt with in brawl.

None of you are looking at this from a "will this keep the game 'fun' or 'alive' in the long haul?"

Like diddy, MK made the game not fun. Like MK, diddy is dominating smash. Be it winning events or taking up top spots. This is a HUGE factor in people quitting or resorting to pocket diddys.......which only makes this game seem less appealing.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The game is just far more oppressive when people get free **** this time.

We were beating pocket MKs in Brawl for years because making reads was a big deal in that game. This time around, with the added hitstun, safer panic options and rage its just so much more viable to flowchart and get the world handed to you when you land your safest moves.

And banning Diddy won't keep this game alive or fun any longer. If you use a slow character that can't avoid grabs, punish rolls, mixup recovery and score kills easily, you will not have a good time against any of the best character. Please ban Diddy so you can see how stupid the rest of this game still is.

Meanwhile, custom moves are still banned when they are proven to increase the pool of viable characters, even if its often by having them repeat the same stupid tactics Diddy, Sonic, Ness do. But hey, I guess we could just keep removing more **** until its balanced.

Denti

Smash Master
After my experience of playing Brawl meta game from beginning to end. After playing Project M (I played for 3-4 years) updates 2.1, 2.5, 2.6, 3.0 & 3.5 where each update is an entirely new meta. After trying to join the ancient meta of Melee. I can say one thing, if you ban/restrict Diddy, there will be another.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Imagine how awful Smash 4 would be if Sonic was the best. That is actually cancer.
It would actually be amazing since being a good sonic actually involves a lot of mix-ups (6wx good example). Sonic isn't nearly as OP as people think he is, it's just an illusion. More the 90% of things sonic can do in this game he could in brawl, only he can kill now so yippee his reads and mixups actually mean something.

Now Rosa and Shiek being top would be lame. One has auto-combos the other is a killing, zoning, wall. I'd take a hedgehog running circles around his opponent then a one sided fight/someone fail at approaching Rosalina over and over again.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
It would actually be amazing since being a good sonic actually involves a lot of mix-ups (6wx good example). Sonic isn't nearly as OP as people think he is, it's just an illusion. More the 90% of things sonic can do in this game he could in brawl, only he can kill now so yippee his reads and mixups actually mean something.

Now Rosa and Shiek being top would be lame. One has auto-combos the other is a killing, zoning, wall. I'd take a hedgehog running circles around his opponent then a one sided fight/someone fail at approaching Rosalina over and over again.
Only a Sonic player would actually say that. With the amount of freedom to move in a game like Smash, Sonic's design is likely to be over or underpowered. His speed can just make him so hard to make a comeback on if people decide to lame it out. As this game doesn't truly have corners. Not sure if Sonic will continue to be top tier, but he would need to be redesigned to not be annoying as ****.
Drop singles and make 4v4 the main event. That's how you keep the game fun.
Or items.

Or we could do 8 player smash on great cave offensive with bumbers, motion sensor bombs and pitfalls. 6 custom villagers vs 2 sonics. Can Sonic escape or will be he trapped like an animal!?
LMAO at Denti's argument of "ban diddy and another will take it's place"
To be fair, in Brawl MK was uniquely powerful in ways that other characters couldn't dream of. Smash 4 literally has all of top tier using the same playstyle to win and oppress everyone else. Dash grab over and over and then roll when you miss and dash grab some more.

If you ban Diddy Kong, yes people will continue to braindead dash grab for damage and kills. We esports now.

No more roon rink roll read.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, reading rolls in this game is nowhere near as rewarding just because they are so damn safe. I only manage to get Melee roll reads on people only if they stop rolling, but the sad truth is that they can just keep rolling and avoid it.

So dumb.

That vid is so funny and sad, because it's true.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
It really depends on your character. Bad characters have to overextend hard to get into position to hit someone running from them.

The better characters have killing projectiles/setups that can safely punish people for rolling in or out and punish shields.

Xyro77

After my experience of playing Brawl meta game from beginning to end. After playing Project M (I played for 3-4 years) updates 2.1, 2.5, 2.6, 3.0 & 3.5 where each update is an entirely new meta. After trying to join the ancient meta of Melee. I can say one thing, if you ban/restrict Diddy, there will be another.
Yes, sheik can replace him and she already has counters or a fewdisadvantageous MUs. Diddy does not. Especially when Dthrow to Uair kills every character mega early. It elimates skill. As did MK.

Also, you have low exp with melee and mass exp with a mod made by babies who can't handle brawl or melee means absolutely nothing since they are NOTHING like brawl (and thus smash 4).

Use brawl exp/history to get a better view of what a BRAWLish game (smash4) will turn into. But you won't, because you are part of the problem. You use diddy.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Oh boy Diddy debates fun
Alright I don't think Diddy is that great either I just think he's stupid by design but is indeed counterable
It reminds me of how dominating Sheik was in Melee because she was a little more flowcharty in what she could do and required less skill overall
I think when/if people eventually discover that Diddy isn't that great and see that a more technical character is better people will stop having trouble
I'm completely neutral on this Diddy nonsense so I could just be spewing **** out of my ass
But I'm a newgen what do I know ayy lmao

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Dakpo says luigi is the anti meta for diddy. I've been feeling the same for a while hes got the tools and a deadlier grab imo plus a lot of tech that benefits against diddy.

Also @ Dakpo Dakpo Grab diddy at 97%? I'm interested

Xyro77

Dakpo says luigi is the anti meta for diddy. I've been feeling the same for a while hes got the tools and a deadlier grab imo plus a lot of tech that benefits against diddy.

Also @ Dakpo Dakpo Grab diddy at 97%? I'm interested
So far, all we have is BEAST 5 as solid evidence that Luigi can slightly beat diddy.

But then that same Luigi got decimated at Apex. Let's hope Evo is his next showing.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
the match up is even, which is close enough to being anti meta for me. It means the better player SHOULD win.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Did this apply to Brawl as well? Does this mean using MK against MK was anti-meta?

I fear this community even more.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Remember when Yoshi's thought they had an even MU?
Or the ROBs?
Or the Snakes?
Or the Peach's?

Pikachu didn't have an even MU with MK. ESAM did.
:applejack:

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I think Luigi is just anti grab. He is scarier up close than almost anyone at most percents with good jab, tilts, smashes and a strong grab game for damage and killing. However he has trouble getting in once again. I think as Diddy players learn their entire movesets instead of just the easy cheese strategies, Luigi will lose. His traction and range make him easy to keep out with Bair, Fair, Ftilt. His airspeed makes it hard to punish spaced aerials and Diddy can gimp him just fine.

This does remind me of Brawl's early meta where any character that could punish tornado was hailed as a Metaknight counter when it was really just MKs not using their entire movesets to their full potential. Bowser, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Sonic, Falcon were all among the characters that at some point "countered" MK because they had unique options for dealing with 1 prevalent tactic.

In the end though, Diddy is a pretty versatile character. He has some of the fastest frame data in the game, especially in the air where he has more range than some of the sword fighters. He has quick/strong smashes, an epic command grab with built in mixups, an item projectile that can hit-confirm into kills and be used for stage control (something smash 4 diddies are doing a terrible job at so far).

He really does remind me of ICs, where he has alot of strong options, but one is so strong that its almost irrelevant how clever you could be with the others.

Top Bottom