• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
who's trying to money match my brawl peach on battlefield no timer

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shaya's flight has heavy delay and maye not be down till 11 pm, just wanted Sync/Asa to know.
For whoever lives at Sync's sex saloon.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lmaoooooooooooo good posts. A couple of things

Trela, me and Keith fully know what the f you did to me. My snake will never forget having to look up at a glowing, blue DOG on a moving platform forever. Although, Snake + me were just that good. You could go in but it'd be very hard.

Two, I'm feeling the same way. This game has the opportunity to be actually aggressive and win unlike Brawl. Although it dwindles to characters like my Falcon plus me making him that way if top tiers camp back. But this game also lets camping/running away a powerful tactic as well that some characters can't overcome. It sickens me. I too love how Houston has been doing with Smash 4 minus BC Villager (sorry, but when I see you go to time with 2 stocks left for each player and have heard you say, "why fight and risk damage?" LOL). This is part of the reason why after SAM, I took all of January and will take all of February to stay in Houston. I may go to EVO because it seems like it could be huge and would be a great OOS experience. Trela, I believe both of us enjoy our wifi practice as we just go in lol.

Anyways, I think Trela has just lost the will to travel for the most part due to people literally focusing on camping/running away to win the whole match. I'm in the same boat. Although, I could last longer since Falcon allows me to be aggressive even when people run away/camp. Just a lesser aggression if I want to win. Diddy seriously makes me hate playing though. As of right now, Diddy is the only thing that could actually kill my drive to continue if this pattern continues. I really like this game and love what I can do in it.

For now, my next tournament is TGC. I will wait until the MewTwo patch like I've said. If Diddy is kept the same, I want a full on ban if the pattern continues. I don't see it changing. HOUSTON FOREVER.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I feel like Trela should still come down to SA at least, long as he doesn't get Denti or ALSM early he'll mostly be fighting against megafox espy or someone in houston once he hits semis.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The Holy Diddy Empire will invade SA eventually.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We only have Santi so far as Diddy kongs are concerned and the most campy people is me K prime if he went villager (which he doesn't) and a recent rosalina player.

We're fine.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
"We're fine"

Famous last words before a massacre.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Shaya's flight has heavy delay and maye not be down till 11 pm, just wanted Sync/Asa to know.
For whoever lives at Sync's sex saloon.
sweet. I'll definitely go there to play him and exchange thoughts on marth etc etc.

And the fact that we even go through all these great lengths to keep the game "viable" shows the noncompetitive aura/mindset that created it. Nintendo wasn't trying to make a balanced 1v1 game, that was never there true purpose or even sub purpose. Alot of the problems the community has is due to trying to making a noncompetitive game competitive, while a lot of parallels don't work the same due to mechanics (camping in street fighter? oh well now you're in a corner and ****ed. Someone super broken in one version of the game? Oh don't worry in ultra maximum ninja star edition we'll fix him.) Not saying this game can't be competitive, just to remember that wasn't the original intent of the creators of the game, catering to the hardcore market was a distant thought.

If Nintendo actually took the time to make a Smash game for the "hardcore players", it'd probably be amazing.
But they won't because they're scared "casuals" won't pick it up.

Maybe patches/Mewtwo will save the game, maybe not. We'll see.

Another thing that pops into my mind when people are discussing stages and stock count and timers is...what in the world are fighting for? Are we playing matches to see who can beat who on a given day? Trying to find the most balanced conditions for two people to fight to prove who's more skilled? What are matches really even judging? I feel like people when people discuss rules and etc they forget the purpose for which they're creating them.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Oh now I see the light! I've been trying to use moves like slingshot to keep my opponent away from me. How dumb!!! But now i realize, the move with like 5 feet of range was meant for approaching. I should move towards my opponent while using slingshot so they can punish me!

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Oh boy, lmao. That's your mindset for playing how you play? That's why I haven't seen you place with top players in attendance.

And FYI, you can fair approach and still not be punished. But if you don't think so, you can continue camping and timing out people because "why risk it and take damage?" Right?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Just cuz I have a gun doesn't mean I have to camp the entire time.

BC/Zori are on a whole different level of camp though. I can't even call it cheese people cheesers go for the easy win (Diddy Dash Grab Bros). BC you literally camp for a slow and defiant death.

BC I will show you the way. I will teach you how to build a new home on the foundations of effort and the legends will say "this villager is too aggresive".

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
F it. Everyone MM me. If our match goes beyond 3.5 minutes I'll give you 5 dollars. If it's Under 3 minutes than you give me 5 dollars.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Honestly, I have fun playing this smash game or any other no matter who I am playing against, what character they use or however they play. It's just a game to me. If u can't enjoy the game unless it is played in your own specific way, I feel sorry for you. If specific playstyles annoy you or aren't fun that's fine, but complaining about it makes you a scrub. Quit getting so riled up over a video game you big big nerd.

Try playing against Morri-Doom if u want to see what real zoning hell is like. I can only lol when I hear people complain about "camping" in smash.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh now I see the light! I've been trying to use moves like slingshot to keep my opponent away from me. How dumb!!! But now i realize, the move with like 5 feet of range was meant for approaching. I should move towards my opponent while using slingshot so they can punish me!
See, this kind of thinking is terrible. What happens when the person you're playing against you takes the first stock? What happens if they start timing you out?

See the problem? You have no out. You never learned how to properly go in. You never learned a good foundation of even basic gameplay. All you ever learned to do is camp and then once someone takes that terrible strategy away...you're just bad.

Why not actually learn how to play aggressive, so then you can choose when to go in and when to play more defensive and safe if needed? You're potentially limiting yourself by not exploring other options.

But whatever, you're free to play the game as you want. Just...when you reflect on your losses, just ask yourself, "Could I have won if I had been a little bit more aggressive somewhere?" If your first though is, "I should have camped harder!" then...you're not making yourself better.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
KJ, You will learn nothing and enjoy nothing by being 2 stocked on 3 viable stages with nothing but diddys. So that is the reason why people like me push for more stocks/more stages is because it allows more characters to be viable and thus furthering our knowledge/"enjoyment" of the game. Doing that then allows for the game to last longer.

Brawl died pretty much in year 5 (it's 7 years old next month) because we had basically 5-7 legal stages, all of whom Highly favored the top 5-7 characters. One of which completely dominated singles/doubles the entire life span of brawl. The end meta was timeouts and extreme defensive play. All rooted from the fact MK and no stages beyond the typical FD/BF variant existed.

When people Finally see this, this game will surpass all expectations.

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
I challenge you Razer then. If you win I'll start calling you GrimTurtle as you like. If I win I get bragging rights. First to 5. DK vs Falcon.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
KJ, You will learn nothing and enjoy nothing by being 2 stocked on 3 viable stages with nothing but diddys. So that is the reason why people like me push for more stocks/more stages is because it allows more characters to be viable and thus furthering our knowledge/"enjoyment" of the game. Doing that then allows for the game to last longer.

Brawl died pretty much in year 5 (it's 7 years old next month) because we had basically 5-7 legal stages, all of whom favored the top 5-7 characters. One of which dominated singles/doubles the entire life span of brawl. The end meta was timeouts and extreme defensive play. All rooted from the fact MK and no stages beyond the typical FD/BF variant existed.

When people Finally see this, this game will surpass all expectations.
Oh I'm all for 3 stock and a longer timer and more stages. Apologies if I gave off a different impression?

Xyro77

Oh I'm all for 3 stock and a longer timer and more stages. Apologies if I gave off a different impression?
No no. I was just explaining. I thought in your last post you were asking what the point of stage/stock discussion is.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Bunch of nerds.

Trela's post was a good read and I couldn't agree more with what was said. Attacking people for their playstyle(s) is stupid though. Skill isn't based on the ability to either solely camp or go aggro. Though playing aggresive makes the game much more enjoyable (which I will always do regardless of who I play), camping IS learning how to play the game. I don't believe you'll ever be a GREAT player or at your full potential if your mindset is to sit back and wait, it's having the ability to adapt and change to whatever situation you're in. People are gonna dislike and obv be upset with how BC/Zori play, but it doesn't make them bad players. It's their choice, and maybe that's how they find excitement out of the game which is hard to believe, but eh. Let them be lol. Just get better and ban Diddy.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Honestly, I have fun playing this smash game or any other no matter who I am playing against, what character they use or however they play. It's just a game to me. If u can't enjoy the game unless it is played in your own specific way, I feel sorry for you. If specific playstyles annoy you or aren't fun that's fine, but complaining about it makes you a scrub. Quit getting so riled up over a video game you big big nerd.

Try playing against Morri-Doom if u want to see what real zoning hell is like. I can only lol when I hear people complain about "camping" in smash.
I only offer my advice because you often speak of your bad matchups as the ones that punish projectile spam or get in easily.

If you enjoy the payoff of what you are doing, I respect that and congratulate you.

I personally enjoyed watching Apex top 8 just fine. Cheese Diddys got exposed and Zero (hardest working tryhard so far) destroyed everyone. The only thing I don't like if people using a losing strategy persistently. Like M2K managing to get reverse 3-0d by Dabuz because he couldn't adapt.

Trela

Smash Lord
I love how we're just throwing Zori's name around when it comes to players that only camp.

I know he hates it.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Don't ban me! I try to go as Aggro as I can. This game is more fun than the camping nonsense

Yeah is right. The cheese players got exposed. M2k losing to Olimar is laughable.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's not Zori...it's Savage.

Don't worry Flip, you're out inside man in the empire. You'll give us the tips we need and still steal wins anyways. ;)

Last edited:

PX Pachi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cofsyrupp
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
BC plays Villager.

Now, correct me of I'm wrong, but the majority of his horizontally moving attacks are projectiles right? Hell, with a Lloid Rocket, that Slingshot, and that tree to strike fear into approaching foes, I'd say BC would be an idiot of he didn't play like he did with Villager. What's he gonna do when he goes in? Look at the tools Villager has been given and you tell me this man was made to be aggressive and go in.
Villager is one character. Adapt to that ****, complain about someone who has the tools to be aggressive but doesn't, Like Rosalina since people wanna keep using that example.
BC plays other characters, but unless you prove to him you're good enough to where he can't successfuly camp you, tough break.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
BC plays Villager.

Now, correct me of I'm wrong, but the majority of his horizontally moving attacks are projectiles right? Hell, with a Lloid Rocket, that Slingshot, and that tree to strike fear into approaching foes, I'd say BC would be an idiot of he didn't play like he did with Villager. What's he gonna do when he goes in? Look at the tools Villager has been given and you tell me this man was made to be aggressive and go in.
Villager is one character. Adapt to that ****, complain about someone who has the tools to be aggressive but doesn't, Like Rosalina since people wanna keep using that example.
BC plays other characters, but unless you prove to him you're good enough to where he can't successfuly camp you, tough break.
Nobody's saying never camp, but to have an aggressive game as well. Makes you a well rounded player, and more of a threat.
In doubles are you scared of the person who keeps camping when you're in kill percent, or the hedgehog running around trying to get his mitts on you?

Thought so.

Xyro77

Last edited:

PX Pachi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cofsyrupp
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
Well if the other team isn't stupid as all hell they have an aggressive player out to make the kill while the camper stocktanks. Villagers play style is even more effective in doubles with a team mate, so that was a bad point to bring up.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Well if the other team isn't stupid as all hell they have an aggressive player out to make the kill while the camper stocktanks. Villagers play style is even more effective in doubles with a team mate, so that was a bad point to bring up.
nr, as well rounded player can be both. And besides that stock tank isn't nearly as effective as a stock tank that can go in kill. No matter what the situation, having an aggro game will not be bad.

and fine, I'll give a more relevant example: in singles, you lose the first stock and your opponent now camps. Now what?

PX Pachi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cofsyrupp
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
It's great to be well rounded as a player, but villager has a very hard time filling the aggressive niche. He's playing the character almost completely optimally. But the fact of it is Villager cannot contend with most characters in a 1on1 aggressive onstage battle.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
It's great to be well rounded as a player, but villager has a very hard time filling the aggressive niche. He's playing the character almost completely optimally. But the fact of it is Villager cannot contend with most characters in a 1on1 aggressive onstage battle.
Again, nobodies saying play full aggro vs everyone 100% of the time. Having some form of an aggro game is better than having none, so when situations present themselves you can get the most of it.

PX Pachi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cofsyrupp
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
Again, nobodies saying play full aggro vs everyone 100% of the time. Having some form of an aggro game is better than having none, so when situations present themselves you can get the most of it.
Fair enough. I bet BC would do that if Villager didn't struggle to pull it off so much. I believe he said he's picking up some other character because playing Villager even as well as he does is very hard in that your onstage options are basically trash compared to some of the earlymeta toptiers (which you see a lot of late bracket)

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
To be fair alot of characters have terrible mu vs the top tiers, and will have to camp to have any sort of chance vs them.
It's like trela said, (who paraphrased RT) it becomes a lose-lose situation. "Lose to Diddy? Ugh, he's so broken. Beat Diddy by camping? Ugh, you're so gay."

But why's he doing that vs the nontoptiers? ;/

Correct Answer: For his own, sadistic pleasure.

Top Bottom