• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
For real though i have an honest question/concern that i seriously cannot answer/accept. Id appreciate any and all legitimate help if i can get it. All kidding/sarcasm/trolling aside.

Ive played smash since 1999 (ssb 1) and have ran tournaments since 2004. Ive seen it all TO wise, i was the best USA Samus in Brawl and top 10 in my city when i quit Melee in 2007. In other words, id say im decently informed on smash and smash things.

Having said that^ i am at a complete and total loss when it comes to Smash 4. The game looks better than any smash game before it. It sounds better than any smash game before it. It has more characters, stages, modes, trophies....etc than any smash game before it. But i feel like its the worst of the smash series in terms of depth per character and depth over all. Jab canceling, Chain grabs, missile/laser/arrow canceling, glide toss, DACUS, grab release, wave dashing, l-canceling, ledge abuse, knocking people off platforms/ledges while in shield, shield poking and more (especially character specific stuff) are all gone. I feel like this game is by far the most shallow of any smash game ever made. We literally watch tournaments being won by a Sheik who does nothing but f-tilts to slaps and some of the greatest minds in melee/brawl cant over come it. Dude, do we not realize that both Brawl and Melee had more depth to sheik than that?

F-ing Marth cant double fair! F-ing TL cant double bair! Samus Zair literally cancels out if shot through a platform at the wrong time ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabC4iZ6fQ8&t=0m51s ). Characters that did not need nerfs got nerfs LMAO HOLY F!

This is the first time in any smash game where i can truly deeply honestly legitimately say i don't know wtf to do or who i should pick. Even though tripping/grab armor/Metaknight...etc (stupid brawl BS) is gone i still feel like the game and everyone in it is mega basic. Maybe ive been in "the game" too long or maybe i had hoped for a game better than brawl. Hell, maybe im jumping the gun ( i hope this is the truth). Im just shocked that this game isnt "calling me" to turn it on and practice. I have zero urge to get better and not one character is appealing to me. Is all of this a personal thing or do others feel and see the same thing?

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
For real though i have an honest question/concern that i seriously cannot answer/accept. Id appreciate any and all legitimate help if i can get it. All kidding/sarcasm/trolling aside.

Ive played smash since 1999 (ssb 1) and have ran tournaments since 2004. Ive seen it all TO wise, i was the best USA Samus in Brawl and top 10 in my city when i quit Melee in 2007. In other words, id say im decently informed on smash and smash things.

Having said that^ i am at a complete and total loss when it comes to Smash 4. The game looks better than any smash game before it. It sounds better than any smash game before it. It has more characters, stages, modes, trophies....etc than any smash game before it. But i feel like its the worst of the smash series in terms of depth per character and depth over all. Jab canceling, Chain grabs, missile/laser/arrow canceling, glide toss, DACUS, grab release, wave dashing, l-canceling, ledge abuse and more (especially character specific stuff) are all gone. I feel like this game is by far the most shallow of any smash game ever made. We literally watch tournaments being won by a Sheik who does nothing but f-tilts to slaps and some of the greatest minds in melee/brawl cant over come it. Dude, do we not realize that both Brawl and Melee had more depth to sheik than that?

F-ing Marth cant double fair! F-ing TL cant double bair! Samus Zair literally cancels out if shot through a platform at the wrong time ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabC4iZ6fQ8&t=0m51s ). Characters that did not need nerfs got nerfs LMAO HOLY F!

This is the first time in any smash game where i can truly deeply honestly legitimately say i don't know wtf to do or who i should pick. Even though tripping/grab armor/Metaknight...etc (stupid brawl BS) is gone i still feel like the game and everyone in it is mega basic. Maybe ive been in "the game" too long or maybe i had hoped for a game better than brawl. Hell, maybe im jumping the gun. Im just shocked that this game isnt "calling me" to turn it on and practice. I have zero urge to get better. Is all of this a personal thing or do other feel and see the same thing?

This game to me does feel like the most stripped down version of smash ever, when you compare it to past games. The lack of ledge options hurts the game, both for edge guarding and getting on the ledge. edge guarding is really just fighting in the air off stage nothing more to it. Getting off the ledge you only have maybe 3 options that are viable: rolling on, get up attack and jumping back on all of which are really unsafe.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I think you're blowing it out of proportion. I feel like this game is way better than Brawl competitively. True that it did take those things out but also added things. Plus D3 chain grabs or Marth grab release grabs on Ness/Lucas are mindless and I would say contributes to the game. This game has it's own stuff and more stuff that will be figured out. Shield dropping, pivot tilts/smashes, roll cancel grabs, ledge trumping (immediately grabbing it to connecting a bair or dair), jump cancel toss, auto canceling is still in, Palutena has teleport canceling on the edge, air dodge canceling on edges, and other character specific stuff that is being discovered. I've already found different things with Morton/Falcon/Fox. This game also got faster and added hit stun and combos compared to Brawl. I feel like movement is very important in this game and is improved. While it did get rid of some Brawl stuff you like, it also got rid of toxic stuff like planking, sharking, hitstun cancel, etc. Play it out more, there is lots of stuff to be discovered. The players getting beat solely by ftilt -> from sheik need to get better. But that's not to say that Sheik isn't good. She's very good in this game. Characters got nerfed. Some got buffed. You're only looking at the characters who got nerfed.

Mora, ledge play is deep imo still. You can't just jump off stage and fight. You're able to set up traps you couldn't in past games without dying. Even then there is some risk depending on your character. I can't just double jump way out there and try to come back. I can get killed. Lol those ledge options are the same for all games and have always been unsafe. That's where reads and baiting come into play. It can be quite nice.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I've yet to see a new fighting game of any series come out and not have oldheads (for lack of a better word) have some grievances. I don't like comparing (fighting) games to their predecessors because every game oughta be able to be enjoyed in it's own way. Smash 4 isn't Melee but Melee isn't 64 etc etc.

but #also I only been playing fighting games competitively since 2010 and I'm only 20 yrs old so maybe I'm just yung n dum.

#DoubleAlso being able to edgehog in Smash 4 would be horrendous. As much as people get blasted into the moon only to sail back to the edge, can you imagine how dull it would be to see that happen 50+ times in any match ever.

Xyro77

Im not saying one game is better than another because i know each game is its own thing but it is completely natural/expected to compare it to similar titles. So when i compare Smash 4 to brawl i see more things lost than gained. im hoping we find more later on that will change the game but i doubt it. we never found l-canceling/wavedashing in brawl :(

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, there is a tip that mentions that running is better than walking. The game literally wants you to slow down.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Like Razer and others said, there's bound to be more things figured out. It's still in the beginning stages. It might not be DACUS/L-canceling/etc, but it's more exciting to know that there could be different AT's yet to be revealed. A different way to play the game. Sheik is bull**** and annoying af to play, but not impossible. You just learn to adapt and play better/smarter. Keep messing around with characters, you'll eventually find someone you enjoy. Watch videos of top players (currently) in smash4 and if they intrigue you, try out said character used. Friendly a **** load also.

Anyways, heading up to the airport right now. Going to Jersey for the break, I'll be back Sunday.

RT, are you able to remove the springs from the L/R buttons on GameCube controller? Zori said to ask you lol.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I can open the controller since I have a screwdriver, but have no idea how to remove the springs

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Like Razer and others said, there's bound to be more things figured out. It's still in the beginning stages. It might not be DACUS/L-canceling/etc, but it's more exciting to know that there could be different AT's yet to be revealed. A different way to play the game. Sheik is bull**** and annoying af to play, but not impossible. You just learn to adapt and play better/smarter. Keep messing around with characters, you'll eventually find someone you enjoy. Watch videos of top players (currently) in smash4 and if they intrigue you, try out said character used. Friendly a **** load also.

Anyways, heading up to the airport right now. Going to Jersey for the break, I'll be back Sunday.

RT, are you able to remove the springs from the L/R buttons on GameCube controller? Zori said to ask you lol.
Who the f is Razer and who the **** are YOU? Bodied.

Also I hear the adapters don't recognize the triggers if you remove the springs. They simply don't work.

And Allan players have done that forever in all tournaments lol. I don't though. DWI.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Illegal modified controllers would be making the L button a turbo or something like that. I remember in Brawl, some people removed the springs or had a Cstick for the Control Stick. They didn't magically help the person win tournaments if the player was bad in the first place.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Pretty sure that's illegally modified controller rule breaking
What's illegal about it? All it is is simply a better feel.. Lol. The amount of time I go down to press it would be the exact same with the spring.

I can open the controller since I have a screwdriver, but have no idea how to remove the springs
I'll look up videos and see. It can't be too hard. Even if Allan doesn't allow it, I'll use it for non-smash reasons.

Who the f is Razer and who the **** are YOU? Bodied.

Also I hear the adapters don't recognize the triggers if you remove the springs. They simply don't work.

And Allan players have done that forever in all tournaments lol. I don't though. DWI.
I swear I'll slap the little peach fuzz off your upper lip you piece of ****, just like I was smacking that Morton around. Bodied.

Where'd you hear that from? I don't understand how it's recognize the springs or not. I'll look into it though. Lel yee, people have been using it for awhile.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Palutena is pretty fun. Counter/reflect/wind Hit boxes/guarantee jabs. I'm kinda excited.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The devs literally admit to poorly designing Samus's jab

I read the tips section for about an hour last night (i tried to pull myself away from it honestly) and I was astounded by the things that are known/intentional by the developers.

Also things I had no idea about.

For exmaple. throwing out smash attacks while Robin's levin sword is broken will make it recharge faster. Scoring KOs increases the recovery speed for tomes as well (could be very clutch for nosferatu).

Whats also funny is that some of the tips are no longer true after the Patch!

For example, strong projectiles filling the bucket in one shot was INTENTIONAL and there is a tip for it. However, now that its been changed, the tip remains anyway.

Wario's Bike tip tells you to pick up the pieces and throw them around (like in Brawl), but it was apparently taken out before release.

So take it all with a grain of salt, perhaps Samus will have a good jab after all is said and done.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
that stuff was useful for zelda, but it was too much of a risk to kill yourself. Palutena's up b is much more controlled so you can avoid sding or learning super precise spacing for it so it's much more practical

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I understand the madness behind Megaman...

How horrible.

Oracle

Smash Master
Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all are enjoying your thanksgiving turkey. Just want to remind everyone that even though theres no IAB or Shockwave this week, we still have Denti's Bizarre Adventure this weekend! Come play smash 4 with some of the best in our state, like Denti, me, Lunchables, iiGGy, and more! Also show up for 4v4 because it's gonna be insane!!! If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

FB Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1503663829883341/

Sync.

Smash Champion
If you guys do not legalize crystal weed I'm going to k.i.l.l. my own soul from existence and then you'll all pay when you make it to the flux dimension with me hehehehe listen to Shiina Ringo

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
I will be sending friend requests later. Im a FOX player tag is xoxMANIAKxox I believe. I will send them out later! Hope you accept.

Top Bottom