• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
nah U suck and SKY sucks. my list is amazing - give or take 5 slots on each character and i think that's how it'll wind up. i agree captain falcon, falco and ike kinda look out of place but other than that it might be pretty good

lmao but seriously i made it just for fun, i remember watching sky LOSE to shofu w/ both sheik and peach
after seeing that i was completely done. that dude's had the game for less than three weeks

also yea, i think megaman is going to be very low tier at the end of this game's lifespan. although this game seems super balanced and nearly everyone has competitive viability he won't be getting close to top 32 at anything at the end. almost 100% certain on that

regarding mac, i think he's a great character but once people have a wider stage selection and a counter system he's gonna fall pretty hard. i actually think villager counters him at this point lol along w/ a ton of high or top tiers, people just don't understand ledge mechanics yet or how to edgeguard

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I want to see what happens to a Mac when a camp/spam character bans FD, counter picks a stage with platforms and gets a % lead.

How is the **** with he get around that. The answer to that determines his tier imo.

Gea

Smash Master
I want to see what happens to a Mac when a camp/spam character bans FD, counter picks a stage with platforms and gets a % lead.

How is the **** with he get around that. The answer to that determines his tier imo.
Pretty much agree, but I don't think he'll get totally shut down ever since he has super armor on a ton of stuff, great frames, and actually has a few slightly utility aerials. We'll see.

Edit: After vomiting several times while reading Illmatic's list I realized that he doesn't even have Luigi on that list at all.

Last edited:

z00ted

omfg!! vomit!!! CONDESCENDING GEA HUMOR SO FUNNY AHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
i missed out on luigi but put edited him in low tier later on (above Ike)

Last edited:

z00ted

u are **** at **** talking there's nothing advanced about vomiting unless ur a ****ty butt baby u ****ing ***** ***** sucking motha ****

Last edited:

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
been a while sense i posted on here but

I saw the line for the launch tournament starts at 9:30, what time are y'all showing up? I was thinking like 8?

but I mean, I don't want to get shot without my boys :)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Illmatic's list is so-so, Rosalina Sonic Palutena Peach Olimar Jiggly Mr. GaW and D3 I feel are too high. While Megaman Dark pit (ugg...) maybe Mac and Lucina are too low

Call me a ****** or whatever, but I honestly think Illmatic has almost the precise place Yoshi will be put in the first tier list that'll be made on Smashboards, maybe even higher because people don't ****ing know how to play against Yoshi and will say he's like top tier or something lol

Last edited:

z00ted

I was initially going to put Peach at top of mid or bottom of high but we're already discovering ways to have no landing lag off of her fair, how to glide-toss w/ her turnips and ways to keep ANY FLOATED AERIAL from staling at any given point within a match.

Little Mac is incredible but it's just going to take that one player to sit back and play lame to exploit him for him to move where he actually deserved to be on the tier list. I don't even think there's going to be such a thing as a "Little Mac Main" two years into this game's lifespan - people will just counter him left and right w/ basic mechanics or characters that just flat out beat him.

Rosalina and Sonic will stay that high and I'm almost certain of it. Just research both of those characters and look into how safe on block some of their moves are or how groundbreaking some of their defensive tactics may be. Feel free to quote me on this, (from what I've seeen so far) Rosalina might wind up being the best character in this game. Pretty certain M2K and Zero share the same sentiment.

Megaman is obviously worst on this list but I honestly didn't think any other spot fitted him more suitably after constantly switching around positions. Sakurai stated in one of the interviews I've read that he wanted each newcomer to feel unique and true to their origin in gaming (and he did an excellent job on that without a doubt) but I feel as though Megaman got crippled pretty heavily due to this. His pellets don't pose much of a threat, leaf shield is practically worthless, his projectile game is sub-par (even compared to Link's who also occupies bottom tier imo) and he has close to zero reliable spacing tools on actually approaching his opponent.

I feel like he can be played well EVENTUALLY but until someone truly breaks him down for the moment he's the worst in the release. B-Air is his only reliable kill option and you'll be having to space w/ that move to begin with if you even want to not be rushed-down by your opponent. It's all in the manner of which he moves, he doesn't feel as though he belongs in a Smash game imo but rather a 2D-side scroller like uh, any Mega-Man lol. His U-Air is great but D-Tilt is so linear and his movement in general is as well too that you'll rarely ever have the opportunity to seize an attack like that on someone in the air once they understand your killing options (i.e. U-Air / U-Tilt / U-Smash etc). F-Smash is way too telegraphed to be relied upon and I don't feel as though his offstage game is anywhere near comparable to the rest of the cast, especially when you take into consideration how spot-on in accuracy you have to be to land his D-Air spike or how weak his F-Air is in given knockback. 3 of his attacks consists of his useless pellets, a lot of his attacks have way too much startup/end lag (fsmash and dtilt respectively), just struggles to kill and is almost completely shut down by characters that reflect projectiles which is like 80% of his entire moveset. But to really sum all of this up I just think he's too linear and can be telegraphed too easily. That's what keeps him so low - he can't move like every other character and always has this very straightforward approach option (even in the air). We'll see how he develops though!

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic has nothing groundbreaking that he didn't have in Brawl.
He just KOs earlier now. :applejack:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Mew2King has been raving about Rosalina, and she is huge in Japan as well. All signs point to her being a top tier character.

And Espy Rose Espy Rose , isn't that all Sonic needed? Better killing power? I'm no Sonic main, but M2K seems fairly excited about him as well. He's been playing quite a bit of Sonic from what I've seen.

Last edited:

z00ted

Sonic has nothing groundbreaking that he didn't have in Brawl.
He just KOs earlier now. :applejack:
But that's really all he ever needed lol, I think the mechanics and engine of this game benefit that though as well.
Jump offstage for a kill move w/ close to zero repercussions. He's gonna be nasty.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Mew2King has been raving about Rosalina, and she is huge in Japan as well. All signs point to her being a top tier character.
Do not take other's opinions as word. You need to play the game and develop your own opinion.

Listening to "pros" at this point is the absolute worse thing you can do, especially they can be and will be wrong about certain things.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
But that's really all he ever needed lol, I think the mechanics and engine of this game benefit that though as well.
Jump offstage for a kill move w/ close to zero repercussions. He's gonna be nasty.
All Yoshi ever needed was OoS options to be good.
But just like Sonic for example getting kill moves sakurai removes other things for characters and need to factor in the games mechanics have changed around a bit too.

Not too sure on stuff Sonic can't do anymore. For now Yoshi gains OoS options, but lost 3 egg toss jumps (less vertical recovery), DR, and most of his DJC stuff outside of specials of course.
So his recovery half stunted and minor follow ups or tricks we had with DR is gone too. Let's not forget Chaingrabs are gone but thankfully with what somebody found with wario still suffering from grab release stuff, Yoshi might still have the GR Usmash combos on characters like MK and maybe even one of the new "top tiers" like greninja rosalina etc.

Last edited:

Sync.

Smash Champion
Woah woah. I really don't agree with Christian's list but he said it's for fun so I'm not complaining. A lot of good points are being made, and I think this game there'll be a lot of co-maiming and counter picking. Mac isn't as bad as people think, but I won't discuss it here. Good job putting a tier list though, must of been really fun and a lot of work. I love how excited everyone is for the new game :). Don't jump to conclusions just yet that's all I have to say. There's more aspects in determining a characters viability than most people can grasp.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I agree, but it's not groundbreaking. It's just a hefty buff.

M2K won't last with Sonic. Not with Duck Hunt being a thing. Sonic still has every weakness from Brawl sans KO power. :applejack:

z00ted

Not that it matters much now but I also think I was wrong about Diddy. He's prob gonna be high tier again.
Just not top ten or anything, bottom of high maybe.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Damn, and this is why I don't allow tier list discussions in the new boards :p
Of course it isn't 100% solid, it's impossible to be so.

AT LEAST HE'S RIGHT ABOUT LUCARIO THOUGH.

Last edited:

z00ted

Why hasn't that thread been locked like I was pretty certain it would get blasted off the bat.

Surprised it was received so well despite prob behind closed doors jests or whatever, honestly I think it's pretty solid aside from seven or so completely untraceable characters at the moment lol.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I would've preferred you to just put that in the character discussion thread and take some numbers/tiers out (just order like high/mid/lowish), as otherwise I would've merged your thread with that one, but if I do so now I'm promoting dem tier lists way too early.

I'm going to have to kill that thread sometime soon anyway. I'm sure the "you're wrong about X, my opinion on them is Y, hence you suck" will become more apparent, and others will get the idea that posting their even ****tier lists is okay. Which I most definitely don't want to be ok.

Last edited:

z00ted

haven't even seen any of those threads, didn't even know a competitive subforum existed up until a moment ago
but yeah i would've done all of that. barely matters now though lol, already moving forward =]

Last edited:

Xyro77

In the brawl back room, years back, m2k made threads saying pikachu and Rob are the best characters in smash. He also has said since day 1 that "MK isn't even that good."

NEVER believe what people say. Words don't win battles

Use your eyes instead.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
My eyes are going to be solely on the people playing against Lucario. It'll be fun to watch them cry and give up.

Don't need to see what the Lucario's doing, it's going to be screen wide and kills.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Wait, it really does that?

Even if it does, Sethlon abandoned MELEE and Brawl for a mod. Seriously the sadest thing I've seen in my many years of smash service.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319

Xyro77

Im updating the OP with The Road to TGC 2 and For Glory as we speak. check back in like 30min

Xyro77

Ok the OP has been updated with 2 new tournaments.

Also, if any of you have a 3ds/wiiu, please add everybody on the OP. If your WiiU/3ds ID isnt on the OP just post it here along with your Facebook and ill add it to the OP. this will help us stay connected very easily.

Xyro77

1. This game is not even 2 months old for the Japanese. My dead grandmother's tier list means just as much as this one or ANY list right now.

2. Remember brawl? Wasn't Pit high tier or something outland-ish over there? Aren't they still losing to a Peach player? Their metagame is most def not representative of what will happen in USA.

3. They are famous for TERRIBLE rulesets.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
All the foxified characters this game are pretty good it looks like.

Fox, Yoshi, Bowser, Lucario, Sonic

Sakurai doesn't like fox-birds though, apparently (imo I think Falco can be fine)
Dog-birds can be saved though.

I think we'll probably see a lot more Palutena, Ness, Jiggs, Dedede than they expect.
Also are Japanese players not using custom specials?

Last edited:

Trela

Smash Lord
I still cannot believe how oblivious and unaware players are of Shulk.

Just play my Shulk this weekend.

Come on, just one game.

I promise it won't hurt.

I'll make sure it's over quickly.

And maybe after I write your name with your blood in Kanji.......maybe just then.......your opinion will change.......

Top Bottom