• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yeah man she has the best air dodge but I don't like her move set at all. Her custom move gives her a MK tornado. F that

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
wii fit trainer. i think she might be the best in the game, holy **** this moveset is ridiculous. i thought she was one of the WORST at first too until i started trying some crazy stuff. oh my god this is 100% my main

i'll try to get vids up

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
WFT is certainly an enigma still at this point. She has tools, but her weird hitboxes and reach do not help her. And a character like Wario shuts her down.

z00ted

LOL that's definitely up for discussion because the range i'm figuring out on some of the weird hitboxes of these moves is way more deceptive than you may think. wario would have nothing on the type of playstyle i'm using w/ her atm

Xyro77

Illmatic you have switched "mains" 30 times in the 4 days the game has been out.

z00ted

wtf? i've never even had a main lol everyone's been up in the air for consideration
i've been going random online

Last edited:

z00ted

dude let's go right now people are purposefully sd'ing in for glory it's so bad lmfao

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
LOL that's definitely up for discussion because the range i'm figuring out on some of the weird hitboxes of these moves is way more deceptive than you may think. wario would have nothing on the type of playstyle i'm using w/ her atm
Please test if any of those moves can beat out Chomp.

Last edited:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Lucina's fsmash and upsmash is so good. Im starting to think she's officially better than marth because of that.. But I havent really seen anyone else develop either one of them yet

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
After playing both, Lucina is probably better overall, but man Marth's tipper Fsmash...feels good when you get it.

But I play them relatively the same way.

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Lucina's fsmash and upsmash is so good. Im starting to think she's officially better than marth because of that.. But I havent really seen anyone else develop either one of them yet
What is the difference between her smashes and Marth's? I thought it was just her aerials and Dancing Blade that were quicker and those were the only changes?

Christian, I'm at work right now and don't get home until 6:30 or so, but I'll be down to play anytime after that.

Xyro77

Marth does more damage and knockback with his tip.

For example:

Marth jab tipped 7% and can kill
Marth jab untipped 3% can't kill

Lucina jab tipped 5% can't kill
Lucina jab untipped 5% can't kill

Last edited:

Xyro77

It really depends on how you play. Can you land tips a lot? If so, Marth is better. If you can't, lucina is better.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
I knew about the lack of tippers on Lucina's moves. I was wondering why Jerm thinks Lucina's smashes are so good when they lack the tipper.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Thats what I thought at first, thinking marth would be overall the better character. Im pretty good with spacing too, but catching a landing or people off stage with fsmash, no matter how it hits, and killing is so much better imo. Like if someone lands really close to you with lucina, you can still fsmash to kill. But with marth it wont. Or you can read a roll with lucina's upsmash and that'll kill. Not the case with marth. Those two smashes are just so powerful/useful. Not completely ruling out the fact that marth could be better, ive just been focusing on lucina and am definitely using her differences to my advantage. The range on marths sword is what I think keeps him relevant with lucina. And I think its more important than his tippers.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Let's take my example into consideration.

Let's say Marth lands 10 jabs but only 3 are tipped, that's 36% damage right?

Let's say Lucina does the same. That's 50% damage.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Walk offs are going to be funny as hell in the WiiU version. I can bet you. $100 someone like Denti or some east coast tryhard will sit back there shooting the best projectiles in the game until you approach and get back thrown lol.

@Gea I'm all for not banning things before they become a problem, but I think walk offs will inevitabately become what I just said above. I have no problem playing on walkoff stages because I'm not a ****** like that but I'm highly confident there will be people that are willing to abuse them that hard.

Equipment is cool, but I think it takes away from picking certain characters in the first place.

As for two stocks, I agree with Jerm. This game is going to be similar to Brawl and I just think everyone will be happier and more satisfied with their tournament experience if it were so. I can do 3 but I know the skill sets a tournament set would be testing are tested even harder with 2 stocks. It'll take more skill to be consistent with victories because there is less room for error.

Ferox and Reset suck. Japes AND Brinstar should definitely be legal (coming from a Mac player). My argument to keep Japes is just learn another character for counter picks.

TA off is an interesting concept. Wouldn't hurt to try tbh but not going to pursue that at all. Too many people are just wouldn't do it. I have no idea what to say about Pika/GW then. I guess it's time to pick up one or the other.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I tried to vector the Klaptrap on Japes.

Didn't work out well.

As far as Marth vs Lucina, it boils down to preference. I feel like a Marth main can play Lucina and vice versa. One has a tipper and gets rewarded for good spacing, the other gets consistent good power. Just make some small adjustments to playstyle and there you go.

But the real question is, do you want to play as a boy or girl? And given this choice, almost everyone picks girl.

Ya damn nerds.

Last edited:

Xyro77

1. Projectiles are not as good as they are in brawl AND most can't be spammed like they were in brawl.

2. Get on platforms or stay on the other side of the stage. Just like you did on castle siege in brawl.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Exactly, 2 stocks is for the boss players. 3 stocks is for WIMPS!
But seriously, I can almost guarantee that with 3 stocks, we'll have tournaments like the lonestar championships that last forever. 2 stocks will prlly get campy too, but it'll cut that overall time down by a significantly. Plus, like austin said, its a truer test of skills. Less room for error. The other areas and tournaments that play 2 stocks are also going to be better than the 3 stock players I believe, due to them being used to less chances

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think two stock for singles and three stock for dubs seems good.

Two stocks for dubs can make matches too short.

Last edited:

Sync.

Smash Champion
I understand your second point but are really going to let out game devolve into standing off until someone wants to get away from a walk off? What if people want to actually play? Logically, your argument is correct but sometimes you have to consider enjoyment for the majority. If someone is camping in a walk off with a stock lead (gaining percent in the blast zone isn't hurting your lead) you probably deserve to lose anyway if you lost the first stock.

I don't quite buy your first point though, I have yet to see projectiles being "not as good" in this game.

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Personally I've been liking the idea of 2 stocks over 3. It's hard to really tell what's best at this current stage of the game, but my vote sticks with 2 for now.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, 3 stocks for dubs is perfect. And projectiles are just as good in this game. Some kill

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
1. Projectiles are not as good as they are in brawl AND most can't be spammed like they were in Brawl
Wait, did you want this game to be a campfest like Brawl? Projectiles are still good for zoning and annoying characters without a reflector/absorb move. They shouldn't be considered a kill move unless they were designed to be one (AS/Thoron/Arcthunder/etc)

Last edited:

Xyro77

Look at fox/falco/Olimar/diddy/Samus...etc All have been nerfed.

Now look at current best characters sheik, greninja, Mac, Pac, rosalina, ZS . Projectiles are not what makes them good.

So since walk offs were not banned because of projectiles and projectiles are Nerfed in smash 4 and the top chars are not winning because of projectiles.......there is zero reason to ban walk offs.

Last edited:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
We shouldnt ban walk offs. Wasnt delfino fine in brawl? I havent been super into the walk off convo so this could have already covered lol.

Greninja Shiek, and Pac definitely use projectiles in a viable way. Not the sole reason they win, but projectiles never were the sole reason of winning. Fox and Diddy arent that nerfed btw. They are just different with the games mechanics

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Look at fox/falco/Olimar/diddy/Samus...etc All have been nerfed.

Now look at current best characters sheik, greninja, Mac, Pac, rosalina, ZS . Projectiles are not what makes them good.

So since walk offs were not banned because of projectiles and projectiles are Nerfed in smash 4 and the top chars are not winning because of projectiles.......there is zero reason to ban walk offs.
Your first point is okay, but only because they were purposefully nerfed. It was a conscious decision to make them bad.

As far as Sheik, Greninja, and Pacman, they use their projectiles to either pressure, disrupt, or for damage and setups. They aren't broken, but they definitely would not play the same without them.

Xyro77

We shouldnt ban walk offs. Wasnt delfino fine in brawl? I havent been super into the walk off convo so this could have already covered lol.

Greninja Shiek, and Pac definitely use projectiles in a viable way. Not the sole reason they win, but projectiles never were the sole reason of winning. Fox and Diddy arent that nerfed btw. They are just different with the games mechanics
Delfino and castle seige had walk offs and people dealt with it by doing exactly as I have described: platforms/go to the side of stage.

As for projectiles, yes most of the top chars(so far) in smash 4 have a projectile (most of the cast has a projectile) but NONE of the top charaxters rely on projectiles like brawl DIDDY, brawl OLIMAR, brawl FALCO or brawl SNAKE.

and yes, FALCO is greatly nerfed in smash 4. Can't spam lasers, can't Dacus and can't chain grab. All of which made him good previously.

Last edited:

Xyro77

And RT, no **** if those chars didn't have projectiles they would play diff. That can be said for ANY character missing a move. Brawl top chars RELIED on projectiles. So far in smash 4 that's not the case because they are not as good this time around due to projectiles being nerfed

Xyro77

Ironic you guys wanna ban so much and not a single one of you have experienced high level play offline.

Even more ironic you all are treating it EXACTLY as you would brawl when it's clearly a different game. Especially right now.

Top Bottom