• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

SamBlueBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamBlueBoxx
There were 6 or 7 all playing on the 8 player stages, lol. I could bring a setup as well, I'm just not sure if they do that there (was our first time going). My friend and I are trying to get some good practice in before TX Showdown

Yeah man they do haha on Fridays it's freeplay so anyone can play. Bringing setups helps out so they allow it. It also could have been less people that day because the day after, they had the Smash 4 Tourney. Most people stayed home to practice (like me) for the tourney.

BlueJx23

Smash Cadet
The only thing turning me off about that tourney is the distance. I might still go depending on how I feel this weekend.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I probably won't go. I would only go for dubs (partner isn't going) and friendlies and the distance is a little far for me to go just for friendlies, which ends when the tourney starts.

Last edited:

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
Yeah man they do haha on Fridays it's freeplay so anyone can play. Bringing setups helps out so they allow it. It also could have been less people that day because the day after, they had the Smash 4 Tourney. Most people stayed home to practice (like me) for the tourney.
Ah ok, cool. We figured there would be MORE people out because of the tourney the next day, lol. Guess that's not the case? How many are normally there on Fridays?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I should have my Amiibos start farming for custom moves then charge people like $1 to scan and get the moves they collected, huehuehuehue...

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
50 bucks. Ugh.

Edit: Actually. Not too bad. It comes with a controller. Acceptable

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Ayyy lmao. And this is why you do not wait to buy stuff at the last minute if they are expected to be in shortage.

Serious question, how many people actually have ALL the custom moves unlocked, 3DS or Wii U?

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I have a lot more on the 3DS unlocked. It's effing terrible trying to unlock them on the Wii U.

Anyways, after messing with them, does anyone want to MM me with customs on? I'll show you the light.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Honestly, unlocking the moves is not too bad. Took about a month, but that was half without trying. It could probably be done within a week if you were to be hardcore about it and farm with amiibos when you're not playing/browsing the web for more amiibos

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Honestly, unlocking the moves is not too bad. Took about a month, but that was half without trying. It could probably be done within a week if you were to be hardcore about it and farm with amiibos when you're not playing/browsing the web for more amiibos
does amiibo farming even work?

turbo method looks to be the easiest and most effective if you literally hate single player mode.

My Wii U is fully unlocked. I stopped at around 300 on my 3DS because I don't use it. But it seems like a fully unlocked 3DS is more handy than a Wii U.

Grim, I'd be down to play you online tonight with customs. If you are just going to spam Up B with Donkey Kong, I'm also down for that. Its obnoxious but I've beaten it before.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
any one wanna split a hotel room at aftershock, dallas is being super stingy on the housing side, 0/10 would not subscribe, austin did it better

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You complain about not having smash and So I get you an event in 3 days and you still wanna support **** events? That's the last time I help you.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
GGs, Sync, P4 and Pj are all here now, so I think it would just get super laggy from here on.

I was actually worried about that move, but I see now that the armor is only in the middle and the windbox can be used to my advantage. Its also not safe on hit sometimes, but I'm not sure why.

Edit:
Airdodging into it is terrible offstage (as my ganon learned). Diving into it above solid ground makes it super easy to punish.

Mac vs DK was less hopeless than I imagined, but windboxes are oh so tragic for little mac.

Sheik hits too fast to care much about Up B most of the time and projectiles that set up kills make it even more trivial to deal with.

Diddy sitting in shield is pretty much unaffected. No armor on the ground version and even with an inferior banana (or is it?) it was easy to deal with.

Seemed like it was good vs Rosa, but that she is just so much better in other areas anyway. Luma seems unaffected by windboxes.

Megaman kind of required me to lead my shots a bit, interesting.

Overall seemed like you can trade with it and do fine. DK isn't that strong in this game and will probably suffer more for it than you do. First hit does 3 damage and doesn't guarantee the 2nd hit at all (which does 12 damage).

You should use the windbox punch instead of that weak lighting punch. More hilarity would follow I'm sure.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Tesh this move single handily destroys some characters. If I actually play smart with it without mindlessly spamming against a top player, I'd get far. It's crazy lol. I've literally up b'd the duration of halberd laser before.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Tesh this move single handily destroys some characters. If I actually play smart with it without mindlessly spamming against a top player, I'd get far. It's crazy lol. I've literally up b'd the duration of halberd laser before.
Thats not really surprising. A single frame of super armor can get stuck in hitlag vs multihit moves.

What characters does it destroy? I didn't feel like any of the characters I picked were losing badly to that move.

You did spam it quite a bit during some matches, but when I was punishing for it over and over and you were getting nothing, you stopped and did other stuff.

Honestly, it can have catastrophic results with very little effort if someone doesn't know what to do. But, most of the time when I got hit by it, you could have used a better option or I reacted poorly to it (I panic rolled alot when I should have just shielded it).

I'm sure a more competent DK could make better use of it, but I just didn't feel like it was OP based on our matches. One thing I noticed was you got some nice shield breaks when I was sitting in shield, so it could be a good mixup.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how I can trust you without any proof. Playing you actually reassured me that its not as good as I thought.

Maybe if DK wasn't otherwise so bad, it could be more of a problem. The move commands respect, but thats pretty much it. Then again, I'm guessing you don't know how to do anyone else with DK yet so that might be the issue.

In any case, you lost most of the matches while I have yet to take a single game off of your Falcon. Sounds like default Falcon>custom DK.

Your villager did some clever things to me. Planting the sapling right on my shield was a smart play.

Even if we assume its broken, why does that really matter? Its probably too strong of an option to give to sheik, or diddy kong or Sonic, but when you give something broken to a bottom tier character, it doesn't help quite that much. Even if the metagame devolves into mindless DK spam dominating everything, I see no problem with banning one move (I wish we had the option to do so in brawl).

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
DI down and airdodge as you get pulled by the wind-bubbles of DK's custom aerial upb; this move doesn't warrant a ban. lol Razer pls I mean come on, you guys dealt with Meta Knight's tornado in Brawl, which is much worse lmao.

Top Bottom