• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lmao DI'ing down plus air dodge is situational. Once you get sucked in by the hits, you're effed. Customs are trash

And I never said ban this one move. Ban customs in general. They are garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You kept autocancelling it and I kept punishing you anyway. I just ran to that spot and upsmashed/ shot projectile.

Look you might be right, but you have to admit to yourself that you didn't really show me anything unfair in those matches.

You are better than I am at this game but you couldn't consistently beat me in a matchup I have 0 experience in, online where you are more accustomed than I am. How exactly do I take this as proof of that move being OP. I honestly think you should have just used Villager and rolls around a sapling, that would have been far more annoying.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I was getting utterly bodied by it but I had no idea what to do and was experimenting a lot.

I know it loses to projectiles which is a huge downfall but I do see it straight up destroying Bowser or Ike, someone huge without much of a mobile projectile game. It's the only move I personally feel like needs to be banned or would hurt the custom meta. Everything else (sapling is debatable) is for sure 100% okay. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Tesh was doing though cause I trust his discretion over this stuff pretty much over anyone else's lol.

Customs in general definitely aren't garbage. I seriously don't understand your logic behind feeling that at all, Razer.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Tesh there were so many auto cancels you DIDN'T punish. Seriously, all I was doing was spamming it. Not even trying to do things.

Illmatic, the sheer fact of losing to a single more or the general jankiness sucks about customs. Same with 2 stocks.

F customs and f 2 stocks.

And big characters get bodied it. Like Robin, Shulk size. Little characters are your best bet. Still dumb.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I was getting utterly bodied by it by I had no idea what to do and was experimenting a lot.

I know it loses to projectiles which is a huge downfall but I do see it utterly destroying Bowser or Ike, someone huge without much of a mobile projectile game. It's the only move I personally feel like needs to be banned or would hurt the custom meta. Everything else (sapling is debatable) is for sure 100% okay. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Tesh was doing though cause I trust his discretion over this stuff pretty much over anyone else's lol.
It gets demolished by command grabs, it literally pulls you in and lets you grab him for free.

Low lag projectiles are still good as they would be in any situation. Simply having a projectile (like Samus) didn't feel good enough. I could get punished for firing it off and lose the trade. Samus actually is kind of bad though and in the end I wound up losing because of my own overzealous juggles.

It starts up a little slow, I could hit him out of it near the beginning and with characters like sheik, diddy, sonic rosalina it didn't help him much when I was in an advantageous position. He does become impossible to edgeguard though.

Not having a good projectile or command grab felt pretty tricky with Falcon (I used falcon strike instead of falcon dive), but I could still get punishes in and DK is such combo food that it didn't feel like it mattered if he got away with it half the time. This was a bit common actually. Sometimes I did feel like the option was very strong, but that DK just got whupped so hard every time I punished him it didn't matter. I'd definitely see it as a problem on an already good character.

@ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer I beat you with ganondorf, so how is it big characters can't handle it? Just because you went unpunished half the time on WIFI doesnt mean anything. You could go Diddy (or anyone really) and just roll around and half the time I wouldn't get the punish. Ban rolls too? The important thing is that you also gained nothing those times I didnt punish.

I'd be willing to do this again offline to get a better idea. I honestly don't like 2 stock either. Its okay in friendlies if you want get a 1 game pass rotation or if you want to switch characters more often, but it definitely feels more like adding viability to quick cheese strategies. Its a better fit for online pick up and play scenarios, but in a tournament where you already devoted a whole day or weekend to the game, I don't really see the benefit.

Also big characters get bodied by everything, thats why no one plays them. I beat you with Rosalina and Ganondorf and those are the two biggest characters I play.

Shulk and Robin aren't even big wtf.

The only thing janky about customs is that you aren't used to them. Just like in october when people would stand up on the ledge with near 100% invincibility was janky. Just like half the cast rolling faster than they could run was janky. Just like down throw into upair being a staple for almost everyone was janky.

Janky is just a derogatory way to john when you don't understand something.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Offline pls. I wasn't trying lol. I was literally just pressing up b. Ganon would get killed.

Tesh, you telling me Villager customs and DK custom up b isn't janky? You are a literal pleb. Customs won't be legal here. GOOD

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Offline pls. I wasn't trying lol. I was literally just pressing up b. Ganon would get killed.
This is pathetic. You literally played me with a clear mission to show that customs were unfair. Then you got bodied, and now you weren't trying to prove anything.

If all customs deserved to be banned, you would have gone more than 2 characters in proving that. If DK and Villager are your reasoning for banning 370+ moves, you are no better than someone that cites a single character as a reason not to play the entire game.

@ Xyro77 Xyro77 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editor

Funny how people said it wasn't realistic that this man was shown crushing someone's skull. His name is ****ing hafthor! Like half of a GOD!

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
By not trying I meant I was clearly just spamming up B. THAT ALONE NET ME WINS. ARE YOU SERIOUS? IMAGINE IF I ACTUALLY PUT STRATEGY TO THAT.

Lol that isn't the same at all. Ban customs? I still have a whole Smash game to play. Thanks.

ALSM, we all know when it will come down to it to win, you will go Diddy.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Razer dont lie, you TRIED to literally spam it and you got demolished. Then you started using the rest of the character and that was how you were able to beat me. You got me with some nice shield breaks, you got past a couple of juggles and upaired me, you double baired when I thought you wouldn't. But at no point did you actually win matches by just up Bing me the whole time.

You traveled around the country to support MK invalidating all kind of skill, but customs are 100% no fair in a game where Diddy Kong just grabs you over and over. Also banning Diddy Kong and banning DK Up B is the same. Remove the (perceived) problem and then you can still play the whole rest of the game with no problem. You are honestly being a pretty big hypocrite if you want to complain about Diddy and want him banned but not offer the same measured response to one questionable move.

Razer, you want me to believe you based on things you are unable to show me and I'll respect that maybe you believe it for reasons you can't accurately show me right now.

Let me just give you a hypothetical situation. After you 3-0d me in tournament what if I told you that Megaman was broken, that he needed to be banned and that despite the fact that megaman wasn't winning any tournaments or looking remotely viable at a national level I knew that he was overpowered and I just wasn't trying. Would you honestly take that seriously?

As I said, you might be right. I'd rather experience it and find out than just take the word of someone who clearly doesn't know either. In any case I still had fun playing with you. Much much more fun than I expected when I knew you would pick DK and try to cheese me.

z00ted

LMAOOOO Razer confirmed Xyro tier, Tesh is a savage.
View a mere fragment of The Truth you're neglecting yourself of:

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
@ GaiustheThief GaiustheThief , pro custom players will say whatever they need to say to "prove" customs are ok for competition. Even when they are shown custom olimar doing over 100% damage per hit vs fox or brawl MK DK up+b or rosalina shooting projectiles across FD with luma or Mii fighter killing lots of characters lower than 30% with one move or diddy's new up+b http://gfycat.com/AnxiousAcceptableCicada they will continue to wipe it off and try to justify customs. They do this because THEY want customs solely for themselves under the guise of "it adds depth/variety" and allows "bad characters to be good." It's a flavor of defense we saw MetaKnight lovers use when defending the most detrimental smash character in the series.

The way you beat it? Don't try and "prove them wrong" because we have already concluded that they will say whatever they need to say. You simply save your breath, Ignore them and not hold custom events.

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
DK is utter trash. Idk why you are even playing him Razer. Have fun getting combo'd, gimped, and losing to like every silly matchup. Even with customs it's all garbage.

Truth.

z00ted

Gaius, pro custom players will say whatever they need to say to "prove" customs are ok for competition. Even when they are shown custom olimar doing over 100% damage per hit vs fox or brawl MK DK up+b or rosalina shooting projectiles across FD with luma or Mii fighter killing lots of characters lower than 30% with one move or diddy's new up+b http://gfycat.com/AnxiousAcceptableCicada they will continue to wipe it off and try to justify customs. They do this because THEY want customs solely for themselves under the guise of "it adds depth/variety" and allows "bad characters to be good." It's a flavor of defense we saw MetaKnight lovers use when defending the most detrimental smash character in the series.

The way you beat it? Don't try and "prove them wrong" because we have already concluded that they will say whatever they need to say. You simply save your breath, Ignore them and not hold custom events.
Beautiful!! Olimar tactic is only viable in teams, MK DK Up+B Tesh has already found a way to beat (although I feel as though it's pretty banworthy from my experience so far), Falco's lasers were FAR worse in Brawl than Rosalina's starbits, Mii Fighter's Up+B can be DI'd easily among tons of other stuff to discredit it and that Diddy Up-B gives a slightly easier kill option to a character that probably would have finished Mario at 80% anyways with U-Air. Not to mention it completely tosses his recovery in the garbage, have fun making it back with monkey flip alone.

Oh.. and news flash: Gaius is likely talking about you lol.

Last edited:

Xyro77

See, @ GaiustheThief GaiustheThief ? What did I tell you? Like with Brawl, these anti-ban nerds vigorously defend the garbage all so that the can finally be good at smash. Predictable.

Don't worry though. I'll keep you safe.

Last edited:

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
After going up against a DK Player who literally spammed that custom Up-B wind tornado im iffy about Customs. I like the whole concept of making the game way different w/ new possibility's. If this ever gets legal in your tournaments Xyro, that will be the day I put time into custom moves. Will you stick with no customs throughout all your events?
Promise me mayunn?

z00ted

This community is the epitome of autistic sensationalists.

Xyro77

This community is the epitome of autistic sensationalists.
@ GaiustheThief GaiustheThief , behold! Now they resort to wrongfully accusing you of being a sensationalist and THEN they incorrectly diagnose you with autism.

disgusting creatures, these anti-ban are.

Fear not. For Xyro77 of Houston (TX) shall protect you.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
@ GaiustheThief GaiustheThief , behold! Now they resort to wrongfully accusing you of being a sensationalist and THEN they incorrectly diagnose you with autism.

disgusting creatures, these anti-ban are.

Fear not. For Xyro77 of Houston (TX) shall protect you.
Wait...are there other Xyro77s? I'm scared...

Xyro77

Yo yo yo! Xyro here. Because it is such short notice, im reminding everyone again that there is a smash tournament this weekend.

Smash @ The Dragon's Den 1!
March 14th, 2015
https://www.facebook.com/events/785052711564367/

Smash @ The Dragon's Den or S@DD for short, is a brand new monthly Smash WiiU tournament series by the good folks at Dragon's Den, a table top gaming/card shop (magic, yugioh, warhammer...etc). The start of my TOing days began solely because of a gaming focused business decided to throw me a bone so it is my duty to give back to the very industry that made me what i am today, TO wise. Having said that, i will be at S@DD 1 to ensure the experience is of the highest possible quality and to make sure that things run smooth.

Venue fee is 5$ but becomes free to the 1st 10 players who bring a FULL set-up (smash 4/wiiu/tv)
1vs1 is 5$
2vs2 is 5$ each

The winners of 1vs1 and 2vs2 get in for free at the next S@DD monthly
Snacks, drinks, and of course cards/figurines are available for purchase so please considering buying some of these items to help support the venue. Of course, if you want more food, there is a Mexcian food place, BBQ food place and tons of fast food near by.
If you have any questions, please contact Zack Hegman at zackhegman@outlook.com or message me on FB or on Smashboards. Guys, lets make this new tournament series a huge success :)

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Happy birthday flip! Hope you spend it doing things you enjoy with the people you love!(:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Happy Birthday, Hobo 12 champ.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Happy birthday Flip!

Customs are ok, just adapt. Vanilla is still fun though. I'm curious about this DK custom now too. I better go all-star with DK to get it.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Beautiful!! Olimar tactic is only viable in teams, MK DK Up+B Tesh has already found a way to beat (although I feel as though it's pretty banworthy from my experience so far), Falco's lasers were FAR worse in Brawl than Rosalina's starbits, Mii Fighter's Up+B can be DI'd easily among tons of other stuff to discredit it and that Diddy Up-B gives a slightly easier kill option to a character that probably would have finished Mario at 80% anyways with U-Air. Not to mention it completely tosses his recovery in the garbage, have fun making it back with monkey flip alone.

Oh.. and news flash: Gaius is likely talking about you lol.
I think you could have linked a better gif than someone being killed at 120(the diddy could have done like 3 things to kill him with the A button off of that banana toss).

I think its a bit insulting that you think we are being selfish Xyro. Customs don't really increase the viability of my mains and in all likelyhood tournaments will be much easier for me shutting down entire characters with pellets and spindash alone. I don't think you guys are selfish, just misguided and stubborn.

If I were like you, I would be upset that you aren't following along with EVO ruleset, but I'm the open minded players are enjoying all the different settings. I don't think we are going to convince each other with currently presented evidence (or lack of), so we might as well tuck this conversation away for a later time.

If anyone else wants to play me on or offline with custom moves, lemmie know.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I think you could have linked a better gif than someone being killed at 120(the diddy could have done like 3 things to kill him with the A button off of that banana toss).

I think its a bit insulting that you think we are being selfish Xyro. Customs don't really increase the viability of my mains and in all likelyhood tournaments will be much easier for me shutting down entire characters with pellets and spindash alone. I don't think you guys are selfish, just misguided and stubborn.

If I were like you, I would be upset that you aren't following along with EVO ruleset, but I'm the open minded players are enjoying all the different settings. I don't think we are going to convince each other with currently presented evidence (or lack of), so we might as well tuck this conversation away for a later time.

If anyone else wants to play me on or offline with custom moves, lemmie know.
Wi-fi me then with customs. I'll beat your custom Megaman with custom Lucario anyday. I also want to see that broken DK move.

NNID: omar8193

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Custom Lucario isn't much better than regular Lucario fyi.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
But sliding Force Palm is godly

Snaring Aura sphere vs Regular Aura Sphere seems matchup dependent though

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It does give Lucario a slightly better neutral game but also nerfs a good kill and potential poke option.

You're mostly right about AS, but regular one is usually better and has more uses with the ASC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom